Young Jeezy: Thug Motivation 101 = Modern Classic?

Comments

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

"The Fix" and "Nation of Millions" dont belong in the same discussion

I liked the fix, but it really only had few great songs on it, compared to the first face record which was amazing from start to finish.

That Federation Lp is genius. Rick Rock is KILLING it. Do not sleep!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I am loving how huge this thread is! Ive never seen kon post so much on the internet before !

At this rate we'll still be posting in this thread about it in 10 years.

Come on now! Dudes talking bout The love below being a classic and not giving it to jeezy! The love below? Thats not even a rap record!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

"The Fix" and "Nation of Millions" dont belong in the same discussion

I liked the fix, but it really only had few great songs on it, compared to the first face record which was amazing from start to finish.

That Federation Lp is genius. Rick Rock is KILLING it. Do not sleep!

I was kidding. I like Rick Rock beats, but the federation album is at best a bay area classic, and I dunno if id even say that. Im not from there.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i'm far from a rap expert, but here's an argument i don't understand.

"if you don't think a classic rap album
    has been made in the last 10 years,
    it's your limited vision and not rap eating itself."

people still make jazz records -
    when was the last really classic jazz record?

ditto for country music.
    shit, ditto for soul music.

I don't listen to enough contemporary jazz and country to comment on those genres but there have been no classic soul albums in the last ten years? D'Angelo" Alicia Keys? Aaliyah? Mary J. Blige? Janet Jackson? TLC?

Seriously, people need to stop living in the fucking past so much. You find short-sighted people lamenting the state of contemporary music in EVERY era.

• There's not a comparison between The Fix and Federation's LP. It's not worthy of discussion.

The Fix is and will be a classic. Ed "93TillInfinity" Powers can put some money against that

Pretty Toney? That's not knowing your head from your ass

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    IMO this should be THE standard for a classic rap album in all categories except sales/widespread acceptence:

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

I don't listen to enough contemporary jazz and country to comment on those genres but there have been no classic soul albums in the last ten years? D'Angelo" Alicia Keys? Aaliyah? Mary J. Blige? Janet Jackson? TLC?

Are you afraid to admit that you don't listen to contemporary jazz because you think it sucks compare to jazz as a whole ?

and when did Janet Jackson or TLC made a soul album ?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    it's a total snoozer, seriously it's the most boring rap album I've heard in years. Even more boring than all those 'backpack' lps where all they rap about is how bad everyone else's rapping is.

no way! give it a few more listens.

Its young jizzle from the bottom of the map, got a 50 round strap on the bottom of the mac, hey!

Pretty much the album of the year.

Lord Willin is a fucking awesome record.
    But is it a classic of "The Fix" caliber?

IMO, yes. I don't know if it's as good pound for pound but that's like arguing which is better, Illmatic or Cuban Links. Different animals and shit. Leopards and Elephants.
    I was just being sarcastic
    Beyond those two, I can't really think of anything else that would be considered to reach "classic" status. I wanna say "Tha Carter" but I'm not too sure. I firmly believe "Street Novelist" has future classic status.

I would not say Tha Carter but I would definitely say Street Novelist.
    There's gotta be something else though..

Trap Music

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Young Jeezy was the best album of 2005 for me because it is the one I listened to and still listen to the most. A lot of this thread has been about comparing Let's Get It: Thug Motivation to other albums or talking about who likes it (blacks, whites) instead of talking about the music. I listen to music because I like the way it makes me feel, and when I am driving around listening to Young Jeezy I feel a rush that I don't get from most music. I really like the beats Jeezy picks - real dark, well-produced slow stuff with great changeups and details (like the money counter sounds on Thug Motivation (the first song). It is a real consistent album, with 16 out of 19 songs being nearly perfect. Jeezy is a great story teller and has a lot of witty, memorable lines, plus his swagger and ad libs draw you in. I think a lot of what makes hardcore street rap work is whether or not you believe the rapper, and when I listen to Jeezy and I believe his pain and ambition are real.

Young Jeezy was the best album of 2005 for me because it is the one I listened to and still listen to the most. A lot of this thread has been about comparing Let's Get It: Thug Motivation to other albums or talking about who likes it (blacks, whites) instead of talking about the music. I listen to music because I like the way it makes me feel, and when I am driving around listening to Young Jeezy I feel a rush that I don't get from most music. I really like the beats Jeezy picks - real dark, well-produced slow stuff with great changeups and details (like the money counter sounds on Thug Motivation (the first song). It is a real consistent album, with 16 out of 19 songs being nearly perfect. Jeezy is a great story teller and has a lot of witty, memorable lines, plus his swagger and ad libs draw you in. I think a lot of what makes hardcore street rap work is whether or not you believe the rapper, and when I listen to Jeezy and I believe his pain and ambition are real.

A lot of people on this board prefer to imagine a conspiracy, though; you don't listen to Jeezy because you genuinely enjoy his music--you listen because you find that crack imagery so seductive, but you know you like that Common better and are just afraid to admit it.

::gag::

A lot of people on this board prefer to imagine a conspiracy, though; you don't listen to Jeezy because you genuinely enjoy his music--you listen because you find that crack imagery so seductive, but you know you like that Common better and are just afraid to admit it.

I liked Common's album better than Young Jeezy's.

And I liked the Boyz N da Hood album better than both of them.

Just for the record.

And while I liked Street Novelist, I liked I Give You My Word and Genie of the Lamp much better than it.

• I listen to music because I like the way it makes me feel,

I listen to music because I like the way it makes me feel,

This is real fucking talk, and frankly, to me, is the reason why these long ass threads are so absurd. If it moves you then god bless if it doesn't, bump something that does.

Just for the record.

And while I liked Street Novelist, I liked I Give You My Word and Genie of the Lamp much better than it.

And you like Project Blowed better than any of the above--clearly, you are not just "anybody".

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Just for the record.

I liked Temporary Forever more than all those albums put together.

and I liked The Fix more than that.

And just for the record, I also liked Resurrection better than Resurrection.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This is real fucking talk, and frankly, to me, is the reason why these long ass threads are so absurd. If it moves you then god bless if it doesn't, bump something that does.

Just for the record.

I don't even know what that is.

Err.. okay.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

No sir, that would make too much sense. If you like it, its because you are racist. If you don't like, well, same reason. If we don't follow these rules then these threads will die after only one page.

You don't want to see people arguing in circles about the same bullshit every single week? Well then you need to find yourself a new website!

You obviously don't like messageboards// You obviously can't get over the goldern era of message boards// messageboards are better than evar.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

I don't even know what that is.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

VS.

????

Hey noz...

Please explain the significance/function of a photo of Marion Barry smoking crack on your ebay template.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Please explain the significance/function of a photo of Marion Barry smoking crack on your ebay template.

my primary goal in life is to destroy black communities using the internet. haven't we already established that?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    my primary goal in life is to destroy black communities using the internet. haven't we already established that?

and before you ask, this is also the reason there's a picture of dikembe mutumbo's head superimposed on james brown's body up there.

It's very white of you to dodge pertinent questions with sarcasm.

my primary goal in life is to destroy black communities West Coast Independently Owned Black Businesses[/b] using the internet. haven't we already established that?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    It's very white of you to dodge petinent questions with sarcasm.

as a white man, i am greatly offended when people point out my whiteness.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    as a white man, i am greatly offended when people point out my whiteness.

in fact, to avoid this scenario in the future, i would prefer if i was referred to as rashied no******y

• This is real fucking talk, and frankly, to me, is the reason why these long ass threads are so absurd. If it moves you then god bless if it doesn't, bump something that does.

No sir, that would make too much sense. If you like it, its because you are racist. If you don't like, well, same reason. If we don't follow these rules then these threads will die after only one page.

You don't want to see people arguing in circles about the same bullshit every single week? Well then you need to find yourself a new website!

You obviously don't like messageboards// You obviously can't get over the goldern era of message boards// messageboards are better than evar.

You're not from the hood! Don't even address me!!!!! IF YOU THINK I'M SOFT THEN YOU'VE NEVER MET ME IN THE REAL WORLD.[/b]

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    It's very white of you to dodge petinent questions with sarcasm.

as a white man, i am greatly offended when other white people point out my whiteness.