Young Jeezy: Thug Motivation 101 = Modern Classic?

14567810»

Comments

• I have a very serious question, and this is as good a place as any for it: who has the best YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH, Jeezy or Li'l Jon (or Dave Chappelle doing Li'l Jon)?!?!?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I have a very serious question, and this is as good a place as any for it: who has the best YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH, Jeezy or Li'l Jon (or Dave Chappelle doing Li'l Jon)?!?!?

1. Dave Chapelle
    2. Young Jeezy
    3. Lil John
    4. Howard Dean

Lemme just say it again. This thread is platinum status yall!!

BIG BUSINESS: MURDA MURDA MURDA AND KILL KILL KILL

Damn, if i ever do an album, im definitely naming it that. So ill.

This would have to be your cover

I agree. Definitely one of the better Benzino pics out there (NO HOMO)

• 4. Howard Dean

OH SCHITT I forgot about him!!! YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!

• Alright, I downloaded this shit. I'll let you know what it do after I have listened to it.

• Goddamnit, I've written this response twice now: the first time, what I wrote didn't get posted for some reason. The second time, my daughter hit my keyboard. At the least the upside is: the replies get shorter each time.

1) Kon - I have no idea why you keep insisting that I'm contradicting or back-tracking. Here's what I wrote the first time around:

what's the last rap album to really break some new ground, either within the genre or hip-hop in general? I'd offer up the OutKast "Speakerboxxx/Love Below" CDs. What about "The Blueprint"? or "Supreme Clientele"? I don't know if either of those two albums really "broke new ground" but rather, were just very well-crafted albums that (arguably) demonstrated what the pinnacle of the genre could produce under the right circumstances.

Not every "classic" has to be a paradigm shift: think about classic rock or soul albums.

That doesn't mean "Laffy Taffy" should be nominated as a modern classic simply because two million people rock it as a ringtone. But there's something valuable - to me - in trying to understand and appreciate music that other people like even when it doesn't fit into our personal criteria of what "good/great/classic music" should sound like. I have an iPod full of rap songs that can fulfill my desire for back-in-the-day nostalgia. I'm still equally committed to trying to understand where hip-hop has moved today even if that means acknowledging that it might have left me behind.

I'm glad you brought up "Laffy Taffy" because it's a good example Is this classic/will it be? Look at the present, multi platinum, yet not in album sales. Jeezy is platinum without a Laffy single. Now will Laffy be a "classic" in the sense that 5-10 years from now when you drop it you'll get that "Oh!" response, or will it be just as akward as throwing "Ice Ice Baby"? Will it only have value in irony? I think we can start betting early on this one. But Jeezy... we'll see.

For the record, I think "Ice Ice Baby" is classic. How many people think "Pop Goes the Weasel" is classic?

But you know what, fuck it, we're talking about Jeezy, and outta respect imma hold that "classic" card for a couple of years. I'll just keep it on rotation until then. I just hope my co-signing Vanilla Ice doesn't get my vote voided by the classic electoral college.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The fact that "ice Ice Baby" is even up to be voted as a "classic" just goes to show how vague a category "classic" is.

Does classic = greater of the great?
    Or does classic = memorable?

Vanilla Ice could only qualify for the latter...for all the wrong reasons. Personally, the only two "classic" things that song affirms is:

1) David Bowie and Queen rule.
    2) With enough time, even the corniest shit from our past will seem poignant given how they can tap into our nostalgia.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    how did this thread get bumped up? soulstrut gnomes in full effect mode