Young Jeezy: Thug Motivation 101 = Modern Classic?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

in fact, to avoid this scenario in the future, i would prefer if i was referred to as rashied no******y

Wow, Shied--however did you come by that name?

Did you marry a domineering Polish-American woman that insisted you adopt her last name?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Again...Why Marion Barry smoking crack on a record selling template???

I could answer for you, if you'd like.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I could answer for you, if you'd like.

i cannot wait.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

This is real fucking talk, and frankly, to me, is the reason why these long ass threads are so absurd. If it moves you then god bless if it doesn't, bump something that does.

No sir, that would make too much sense. If you like it, its because you are racist. If you don't like, well, same reason. If we don't follow these rules then these threads will die after only one page.

You don't want to see people arguing in circles about the same bullshit every single week? Well then you need to find yourself a new website!

You obviously don't like messageboards// You obviously can't get over the goldern era of message boards// messageboards are better than evar.

You're not from the hood! Don't even address me!!!!! IF YOU THINK I'M SOFT THEN YOU'VE NEVER MET ME IN THE REAL WORLD.[/b]

You're damn right, and you know why? Because when I was in NYC I told your dude Jonny that I wanted to call you and tell you to come out to the club and he said "He is sleeping, and he does not like to be woken up."

And I was to soft to say "FUCK THAT!"

I did bump into Simon however. But I was too drunk to really remember anything that he may have said, although I think he may have congradulated me on getting married.

But anyways, while everybody keeps arguing, I would like to point out that if you love a certain song/record/genre/ etc... you'll never understand why people don't like it. At the same time, if you hate a certain song/record/genre etc you'll never be able to understand why people do like it. So both sides can explain away, and argue all day long, but you aren't going to change the other's mind.

So yeah, I listened to clips of that Jeezy record, and I thought it was corny and boring. But I'm not going to try and convince anybody that they shouldn't like it, just like you probably won't convince me that I should like it.

Its really really simple.

• This is real fucking talk, and frankly, to me, is the reason why these long ass threads are so absurd. If it moves you then god bless if it doesn't, bump something that does.

No sir, that would make too much sense. If you like it, its because you are racist. If you don't like, well, same reason. If we don't follow these rules then these threads will die after only one page.

You don't want to see people arguing in circles about the same bullshit every single week? Well then you need to find yourself a new website!

You obviously don't like messageboards// You obviously can't get over the goldern era of message boards// messageboards are better than evar.

Ugh... back on ignore

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    If someone's already mentioned this, ignore me. I'm just a lil dude living in a lil dude world.

Longevity.
    Every year has to have an album of the year, but for an album to consistently remain on the minds of people marks a classic. The fact that people still know the words to "The Message", people bobbing their head to Leon Haywood, er, Dr. Dre, year after year, well that's part of what makes albums classics.

• look assholes. the only thing that establishes a rap classic is if it appears in the ding dong dang karaoke song book.

jay-z is in there. tupac. in there. biggie clipse vanilla ice hammer. in there in there in there.

young jeezy. not even close friends.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    look assholes. the only thing that establishes a rap classic is if it appears in the ding dong dang karaoke song book.

jay-z is in there. tupac. in there. biggie clipse vanilla ice hammer. in there in there in there.

young jeezy. not even close friends.

REAL TALK. (real karaoke talk at least)

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Jeezy will be in there soon.

Classic Soulstrut THread right here baby!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    look assholes. the only thing that establishes a rap classic is if it appears in the ding dong dang karaoke song book.

I really wish the "LOC" was back to normal. This would be my location 4sureeee.

• I am loving how huge this thread is! Ive never seen kon post so much on the internet before !

At this rate we'll still be posting in this thread about it in 10 years.

Come on now! Dudes talking bout The love below being a classic and not giving it to jeezy! The love below? Thats not even a rap record!

I myself cant believe i got stuck on this stupid shit.
    ok...last post on this tired debate.

Good music is good music...but CLASSIC ??????

To call this a classic means we need to look at all the other lps that are considered classics ( does it matter how old they are? i think that is exactly why they are classics odub! Does the classic expiration date pop up after 10 years??? wtf?) To this day rappers still quote lines from epmd, bdk, biggie, and jay ! simply cuz that shit is CLASSIC. Why are the 80s sooo fucking trendy ? Why does DIPSET use Salt n Pepas beats...NWA's beats...why does almost all of GAMES lp consist of references to the great classics ?
    CUZ THAT IS WHAT CLASSIC IS ALL ABOUT. (My point of getting bit, recited or revamped)

People are programmed..look at radio! It used to be ,what was hot in the club...the radio would have to pick up on it. Now its the other way around.

How does this shit compare? what is sooooo "classic" about it? is this shit really that influential ?
    or is it just above average in this sea of rappers drowning themselves with the same old war stories (ring the bell) ?
    Personally...how many times must i hear the same shit ? look at the videos on tv..they all look the same and pretty much sound the same. 808 beats and stock synth sounds.lots of yelling...Call me old etc...dont think im not up on what is out there. When i play this shit at clubs ..its strictly a job.

Again answer the question...in the past 10 years with the obvious excluded, what lps are straight up classics ? Missy? Mike jones ? Young guns? Beanie? Swizz Beats? EVE ? Busta? Mase? 50? Game? Mos? Dialated? Shyne ? J5 ? Monch? I can go on and on.
    Not "well crafted" either...CLASSIC!
    What artists ( should i even use this term?) in the past 10 years have the shelf life of a classic ?
    Some shit you never heard before type shit....its not just the topics either

We all know you and every other rapper out now sold drugs...has bitches...whips...ice..guns..etc..yawn.
    I see this shit for real around my way...im not really that moved by the redundancy going on right now.

Sorry if im bored by it..like i said earlier i can listen to older "classics" with the same shit going on but done better (imo) shit is wack now...im not afraid to admit it. I am not a fucking sheep and never have been.
    On a much larger scale and slightly off topic...Its funny that we have rappers quoting other rappers who are quoting others rappers and barely anybody even knows the orgin of the actual quote! How many mf doom fans understand when they recite doom quoting epmd..those are NOT his lines!!!! But these fans DONT KNOW....
    I know so many djs that have all the scratch records...but cant name the orgins of the shit they are cutting
    ( cerrone, troublefunk..etc) do the math.

all in all i never was really trying to hate on dudes shit.(i aint mad atcha bsides!)...but its by no means a classic... shits like the fucking source mic system around here...made men gettin 5 mics and shit.

this thread may be the biggest ever

Im done rambling

• Young Jeezy was the best album of 2005 for me because it is the one I listened to and still listen to the most. A lot of this thread has been about comparing Let's Get It: Thug Motivation to other albums or talking about who likes it (blacks, whites) instead of talking about the music. I listen to music because I like the way it makes me feel, and when I am driving around listening to Young Jeezy I feel a rush that I don't get from most music. I really like the beats Jeezy picks - real dark, well-produced slow stuff with great changeups and details (like the money counter sounds on Thug Motivation (the first song). It is a real consistent album, with 16 out of 19 songs being nearly perfect. Jeezy is a great story teller and has a lot of witty, memorable lines, plus his swagger and ad libs draw you in. I think a lot of what makes hardcore street rap work is whether or not you believe the rapper, and when I listen to Jeezy and I believe his pain and ambition are real.

That is the same reason why I felt this was a classic. The first time I heard "Get Cha Mind Right" I kept listening to it. I couldn't stop. The I saw him perform that song on a DVD and he went off his mixtape and the crowd was rapping along to the way DJ Drama cut up the song. It was embedded in their minds already. But keep in mind that it wasn't Clear Channel's doing. This was that undeniable street shit that pushed through.

And like Urrrrs said, to this day I can let the album ride. Even after that, I know it's a classic, but I'll wait the 5-10 years to see the result of Thug Motivation's impact. Will it still be mandatory to the streets like 7 Day Theory? Will there be Jeezy velvet paintings being sold at freeway ramps? Or like Shig pointed out, will it be on vol.557 Karoake Hits (which if you ask me, I've already seen "Go Crazy" in the Karoake Farm team, and this kid looks like he'll make the big leagues some day).

But in the end, it'll be the "Minus the Bullshit, Life's Great" coffee mugs.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This was all over my "hood" last Summer/Fall.

in the past 10 years with the obvious excluded, what lps are straight up classics ? Missy? Mike jones ? Young guns? Beanie? Swizz Beats? EVE ? Busta? Mase? 50? Game? Mos? Dialated? Shyne ? J5 ? Monch? I can go on and on.

Kon,

Most of these albums would not be considered "good", let alone "well-crafted." I mean, you're tossing your strawmen to easily bash down.

Young Gunz?

Dilated?

Shyne??????!!!!! Who has ever suggested that any of these albums would ever, ever, ever quality for classic status?

by the same token, I could easily draw a list up of mediocre albums - or at least certifiably NON-classics - that came out b/t 86-94. Your argument above is like someone complaining in 1994, "man, hip-hop's not that good anymore: look at Kwame or Original Flavor or the Trendz of Culture"

Here are some classics - mainstream at that - from the last 10 years (1996 - present): come test the champion sound...

Jay-Z: Reasonable Doubt
    OutKast: ATLiens
    Missy Elliot: Supa Dupa FLy
    OutKast: Aquemini
    Lauryn Hill: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
    Eminem: The Slim Shady LP
    OutKast: Stankonia
    Quasimoto: The Unseen
    Ghostface Killah: Supreme Clientele
    Beastie Boys: Hello Nasty
    Jay-Z: The Blueprint
    Scarface: The Fix

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    in the past 10 years with the obvious excluded, what lps are straight up classics ? Missy? Mike jones ? Young guns? Beanie? Swizz Beats? EVE ? Busta? Mase? 50? Game? Mos? Dialated? Shyne ? J5 ? Monch? I can go on and on.

Kon,

Most of these albums would not be considered "good", let alone "well-crafted." I mean, you're tossing your strawmen to easily bash down.

Young Gunz?

Dilated?

Shyne??????!!!!! Who has ever suggested that any of these albums would ever, ever, ever quality for classic status?

by the same token, I could easily draw a list up of mediocre albums - or at least certifiably NON-classics - that came out b/t 86-94. Your argument above is like someone complaining in 1994, "man, hip-hop's not that good anymore: look at Kwame or Original Flavor or the Trendz of Culture"

Here are some classics - mainstream at that - from the last 10 years (1996 - present): come test the champion sound...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Where is Ludacris on this?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Where is Little Brother on this?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Kon,

Young Gunz?

Dilated?

Faux Rillz edits are pretty spot on. To it I would add:

Madvillian
    Black Album
    Diplomatic Immunity Vol. 1

• in the past 10 years with the obvious excluded, what lps are straight up classics ? Missy? Mike jones ? Young guns? Beanie? Swizz Beats? EVE ? Busta? Mase? 50? Game? Mos? Dialated? Shyne ? J5 ? Monch? I can go on and on.

Kon,

Young Gunz?

Dilated?

As for the above lps,I agree with most...but check your prior posts. You said the blueprint was "well crafted" as well as supreme clientele !!??? so which is it classic or well crafted ?? CONTRADICTION

I threw those names out as testament to what we are working with nowadays...not much. In the same way
    what is out there now is just as bad as my "strawmen that easily get bashed down"

If you were to easily come up with a list of mediocre albums from 86-94 the actual CLASSIC lps from this era in comparison.. will STOMP mudholes all over todays supposed classics.( which is why cats still reference then to this day )
    Deal with it

Im supposed to think young jeezys lp is a classic based on what ? Not saying its garbage but...come on dude is NOT bringing much in comparison to your list above..let alone anything different from all the other drug dealing rappers out there now ( i think clipse are far better and the beats, hands down bang harder)

Is it not true that "hip hop" (culture) is NOT that good anymore ? Its fucking corporate.. period.
    You mean to tell me you actually are excited about the current state of "rap" ?

Where is the originality today ? You seem to not notice the LACK of diversity right now...sure you can name a few.. little brother and outkast ,kanye...besides these..shit is alllllll the same

As far as young jeezy being a classic, i still fail to see it. Not 1 reason, aside from the fact that people
    "like it" should it be given this title...especially so early on.

To me classics consist of alot more than what is represented on this lp
    It seems as if you would put dudes lp up against your above mentioned ! wow!

i really dont want to go back and forth...you think its a classic so be it

In my book its far from it

Kon,

I never said that an album is either "well crafted" OR it a classic. I think someone else suggestesd that there are well-crafted albums that don't get classic status. At no point would I ever say that albums like "The Blueprint" and "Supreme Clientele" are anything LESS than classic.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

disconnected from the west coast

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Kon,

Young Gunz?

Dilated?

As for the above lps,I agree with most...but check your prior posts. You said the blueprint was "well crafted" as well as supreme clientele !!??? so which is it classic or well crafted ?? CONTRADICTION

I threw those names out as testament to what we are working with nowadays...not much. In the same way
    what is out there now is just as bad as my "strawmen that easily get bashed down"

If you were to easily come up with a list of mediocre albums from 86-94 the actual CLASSIC lps from this era in comparison.. will STOMP mudholes all over todays supposed classics.( which is why cats still reference then to this day )
    Deal with it

Im supposed to think young jeezys lp is a classic based on what ? Not saying its garbage but...come on dude is NOT bringing much in comparison to your list above..let alone anything different from all the other drug dealing rappers out there now ( i think clipse are far better and the beats, hands down bang harder)

Is it not true that "hip hop" (culture) is NOT that good anymore ? Its fucking corporate.. period.
    You mean to tell me you actually are excited about the current state of "rap" ?

Where is the originality today ? You seem to not notice the LACK of diversity right now...sure you can name a few.. little brother and outkast ,kanye...besides these..shit is alllllll the same

As far as young jeezy being a classic, i still fail to see it. Not 1 reason, aside from the fact that people
    "like it" should it be given this title...especially so early on.

To me classics consist of alot more than what is represented on this lp
    It seems as if you would put dudes lp up against your above mentioned ! wow!

i really dont want to go back and forth...you think its a classic so be it

In my book its far from it

CLASSIC!

I am exited about the current state of "rap". And I feel like right now more than ever I am feeling alot of the shit thats coming out. I dont mean to sound insulting, but it very well might be a result of your age.

NOthing is taking anything away from the classic albums that came out in the 80's and 90's, and if you notice i did say "modern classic". I did this really to avoid comparisoms to stuff like Paid in Full and all the golden era greats.

But this is obviously a new era. Standards change, practices change, rules change. It would have been out of the question wack to spit whole lines from someone elses song in the past. But today its completely common practice. Jay-z does it all the damn time, and in turn others do it to jay-z. People look at it now like its a sign of respect, not a jack move. You can do your part by continuing to put kids on to alot of those older classics that still deserve respect and attention. You put me on to alot of stuff in college, and i thank you for it. Show kids where that line came from thats on the new doom record, or the new jigga record, and they might have a greater appreciation for the history of this music we love. But you have to relate to what people are doing now, constantly telling kids that theres nothing worth listening to anymore isnt giving them the right motivation to really reach out and do their history either.

Mabye if you had some artists or albums to champion instead of just saying EVERYTHING is shitty now i could relate to your perspective a bit more. I mean, lots of the guys you mentioned are still alive. Did you buy krs-one's last album? Why not? DO you think he is capable of dropping anothe classic? why not?

I know you've seen the big sign that hangs high up in looney tunes that says "If you dont grow with music, music will outgrow you". Im not suggesting that you uncritially bump everything thats new, but theres gotta be something you like! or at least try to like it! SMoke an L and play the whole jeezy album through. If for no other reason, you'd probably like your job alot more if you could find some enjoyment in what the kids are feeling!

Peace,
    Bsides.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    classic 2000[/b]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    List of West Coast classics from 96 and on not including Dre's 2001.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    do people not consider 40's grit & grind a classic? i guess i'm in the minority in that i consider it the second best album of his career. you could make a strong case for breakin news as well. i loved street novelist as much as the next man, but i don't think it's seeing the dude who fathered his career style and more or less the whole "hyphy movement".

and come on guys. the fix is about as close to a perfect rap record as you get. i've pretty much listened to it several times a week since it dropped. it is easily on par with, say, a nation of millions, and in my opinion, if it doesn't break as much ground stylistically, it more than makes up for it in emotional resonance. maybe it is an age thing, since i was (just barely) still in my teens when that album came out. but it's the type of album that makes me proud to be a rap fan.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    do people not consider 40's grit & grind a classic? i guess i'm in the minority in that i consider it the second best album of his career. you could make a strong case for breakin news as well. i loved street novelist as much as the next man, but i don't think it's seeing the dude who fathered his career style and more or less the whole "hyphy movement".

and come on guys. the fix is about as close to a perfect rap record as you get. i've pretty much listened to it several times a week since it dropped. it is easily on par with, say, a nation of millions, and in my opinion, if it doesn't break as much ground stylistically, it more than makes up for it in emotional resonance. maybe it is an age thing, since i was (just barely) still in my teens when that album came out. but it's the type of album that makes me proud to be a rap fan.

"My Block" is one of my fave rap singles ever.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

The Coup - Steal This Album
    E-40 - Grit & Grind
    Suga Free - Street Gospel
    CVE - Declassified (of course)

i'm sure many would say Makaveli as well. and probably some other shit i'm forgetting.

The Coup - Steal This Album
    E-40 - Grit & Grind
    Suga Free - Street Gospel
    CVE - Declassified (of course)

i'm sure many would say Makaveli as well. and probably some other shit i'm forgetting.

I was going to list "Steal This Album" but for some reason, I thought it was older than it was. But hell yeah, I would have included the Coup on my list.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I was going to list "Steal This Album" but that was 95 I think.

dude it was like 98.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I really like Grit and Grind but I also do skip a few tracks on it so I don't know. Street Novelist is probably rated higher soley because it's a debut album.