Lovelites
Eddie Fisher & The Next 100 Years

add on

Comments

• Options
    Mine. I'm having 200% sale.

Crazy K.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Have we yet reached the point where folks are posting MP3s of records so they can throw them on the 'bay a couple weeks later, instigating a frenzy??

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    [reynaldo]the entire Tico/Fania/Cotique catalog[/reynaldo]

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Post deleted by edpowers

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    any modern soul record you don't already own

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    [reynaldo]the entire Tico/Fania/Cotique catalog[/reynaldo]

I celebrate his entire posts!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Lovelites

add on

i dunno which scale you're using (good records, ebay, gemm whatever) but cannonball adderley's 'soul of the.., love, sex.. etc.' series has at least doubled in value over the years.

we had a black messiah go for 60$ on the 'bay, but back when we did set sales, the price never topped 25$. it strange that the abundance of adderley reissues didn't slow down the market.

but eddie fisher, that thing is skyrocketing.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Lovelites

add on

i dunno which scale you're using (good records, ebay, gemm whatever) but cannonball adderley's 'soul of the.., love, sex.. etc.' series has at least doubled in value over the years.

we had a black messiah go for 60$ on the 'bay, but back when we did set sales, the price never topped 25$. it strange that the abundance of adderley reissues didn't slow down the market.

Really? I thought all of those Cannonball Adderly titles had been reduced to $10 records.

• Eddie Fisher had routinely gone pretty cheap on ebay. $30-40ish. Shops could always get $60-75 for it but now with the real headz situation you will see that on ebay.

Lovelites was, at one point, a $1-150 record. I bet the next one gets over 2.

The shame in all of this is the people buying it probably don't own basic shit... I'm kinda on the fence about the real headz thing to be honest

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Lovelites

Did I mention that my grandmother is forwarding me the contact of a one-time member of this group?

Don't just visit the hood, live in it.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Lovelites

add on

Really? I thought all of those Cannonball Adderly titles had been reduced to $10 records.

in shops around here, they can pop up for 10-15 bucks but the online market can get nutty. the guy that paid 60$ was japanese.

are they priced that low in NYC?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    they're that low in LA too

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Lovelites

add on

in shops around here, they can pop up for 10-15 bucks but the online market can get nutty. the guy that paid 60$ was japanese.

are they priced that low in NYC?

Usually.

I meant online, though; I didn't think there was much of a demand for these anymore.

• Lovelites

add on

Yeah the only title that gets any money is Soul Of The Bible, Love Sex And The Zodiac with Rick Holmes gets $20 maybe, other than that...

I think getting one price on ebay doesn't mean a record's fundamental price has changed...

• The shame in all of this is the people buying it probably don't own basic shit... I'm kinda on the fence about the real headz thing to be honest

Please to post the Johnny Paycheck approved "basic shit I need" list.

(the above sentence contains not one iota of sarcasm)

• depends what kind of music you're into honestly but start with the basics, from Black Sabbath to the Temptations

Don't mind me I'm just an old bugger that thinks people shouldn't want $200 records until they've been collecting for a while

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

I think getting one price on ebay doesn't mean a record's fundamental price has changed...

true. but eddie fisher doubling is a phase, it'll fall back.

so has "realheadz" changed the game?

• depends what kind of music you're into honestly but start with the basics, from Black Sabbath to the Temptations

Don't mind me I'm just an old bugger that thinks people shouldn't want $200 records until they've been collecting for a while

I hear ya. I'm probably covered there. Would be innerested in reading something like the "Top 100 Consensus SS records" or something similar.

I'm happy enough to learn the names of some of these bands and cop me a $10-12 reissue, or even settle for mp3s. (ducks, avoids catcalls) Do you want the music or do you want the artifact? Wait, I know the answer: both.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    the fathers children lp on mercury has shot way up in price...5 years ago it was a $5-10 record in stores but now i'm seeing them go for $80-$100+ on ebay. "Hollywood dreaming" is a dope song though.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    depends what kind of music you're into honestly but start with the basics, from Black Sabbath to the Temptations

interesting. I used to think like this but the truth is there are some unique, beautiful, and rare items that many should want. Its no ones fault that the demand for these pieces has raised their value.

Take anything by the Whatnauts for instance. Of the ones I've heard I think they put out some good quality records I heard my first whatnauts a few months after I actively started looking for soul and funk LP's. I was a little shocked when I found my first one at Wax Tracks back '99 and Rich said $200.

I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't discount finding music you love cause its raer or expensive. some people will just think a lovelites is that much more worth having in their collection that a Four Tops.

Although if your looking for the raer ust cause its raer than you are doing a major dis-service to everyone but the sellers.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    Guzzo- if you don't know the fathers children lp i think you would flip if you heard it...80's modern boogie shit!

I hear ya. I'm probably covered there. Would be innerested in reading something like the "Top 100 Consensus SS records" or something similar.

Al Green "Let's Stay Together" (Hi)
    Al Jarreau - Lonely Town
    Albert Ayler - "Spiritual Unity"
    Alice Clark "S/T" (Mainstream)
    Aposento Alto - goodbye old friends
    Baby Huey "Living Legend" (Curtom)
    Ballin??Jack - Same
    Barbara and Ernie-"Prelude to..." (Cotillion)
    Bill Withers "Still Bill" (Sussex)
    Black Caesar OST (Polydor)
    Black Sabbath. "S/T"
    Bob Marley & the Wailers - "Exodus"
    Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and Blues (Blue Note)
    Bohannon - "Stop & Go" (Dakar)
    CAN - "Ege Bamyasi"
    Certain Lions and Tigers - Soul Condor
    Charles Mingus--The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
    Curtis Mayfield "Curtis" (Curtom)
    Cymande "S/T" (Janus)
    Cymande "Promised Heights" (Janus)
    Demon Fuzz - Afreka! (Janus)
    Donald Byrd - "Places and Spaces" (Blue Note)
    Donny Hathaway "Everything is Everything" (Atco)
    Donny Hathaway "LIVE"
    Earth Wind and Fire - S/T (Warner Brothers)
    Eddie Fisher - Next 100 Years (Cadet)
    Eddie Kendricks "People...Hold On" (Tamla)
    Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch
    ESG "S/T" (99)
    Funkadelic "America Eats Its Young"
    Funkadelic "Maggot Brain" (Westbound)
    Gal Costa-s/t (naoo identificado)
    Gary Wilson - "You Think You Really Know Me"
    Hank Mobley -"Soul Station" (Blue Note)
    Harlem River Drive "S/T" (Roulette)
    Hell's Belles OST
    Herbie Hancock "Maiden Voyage" (Blue Note)
    Herbie Hancock "Headhunters"
    Impressions "Young Mod's Forgotten Story" (Curtom)
    Jackson 5 - abc (Motown)
    Jefferson Airplane - "Surrealistic Pillow"
    Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold as Love (Reprise)
    Jimi Hendrix Experience "Are You Experienced?" (Reprise)
    Jimmy Castor Bunch - It??s just begun (Polydor)
    Joe Bataan - Gypsy Woman (Fania)
    Joe Bataan - Subway Joe (Fania)
    John Coltrane "Giant Steps"
    John Coltrane "A Love Supreme "
    Jorge Ben - A T??bua de Esmeralda
    Jorge Ben - For??a Bruta"
    Jorge Ben - "Samba Esquema Novo"
    Kool and the Gang - S/T (De-Lite)
    Larry Young - Unity (Blue Note)
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
    Led Zeppelin "Physical Graffiti" (Atlantic)
    Lonnie Smith - Drives (Blue Note)
    Lou Courtney "I'm in Need of Love" (Epic)
    Love-Forever Changes (Elektra)
    Mandrill "Just Outside of Town" (Polydor)
    Marvin Gaye - "Let's Get It On" (Tamla)
    Marvin Gaye "I Want You" (Tamla)
    Marvin Gaye "Whats Going On" (Tamla)
    Michael Jackson. "Off the Wall" (Epic)
    Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue" (Columbia)
    Miles Davis "Sketches in Spain" and "In a Silent Way"
    Minnie Ripperton "Come to My Garden" (Janus)
    Muddy Waters "Electric Mud" (Cadet Concept)
    Ohio Players Pain (Westbound)
    Ohio Players "Pleasure" (Westbound)
    OST - Willie Dynamite
    Parliament - "Osmium" (Invictus)
    PE - nation of millions
    Pink Floyd - More ost, Dark Side of the Moon
    Ramsey Lewis - Mother Nature's Son
    Rene & Angela "Wall to Wall" (Capitol)
    Roy Ayers - He's Coming (Polydor)
    S.O.U.L. - What Is It
    Senor Soul - It's Your Thing
    Sonic Youth - "EVOL"
    Stairsteps- "2nd Resurrection" (Dark Horse)
    Stark Reality - "Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop"
    Steely Dan "Aja"
    Stevie Wonder - "Talking Book" (Tamla)
    Stevie Wonder Innervisions (Tamla)
    Stevie Wonder "Songs In the Key of Life (Tamla)
    Stooges - "S/T" (Elektra)
    Superfly OST (Curtom)
    Sweet Inspriations "Estelle, Myna, & Sylvia" (Stax)
    Syl Johnson - Dresses Too Short (Twinight)
    Syl Johnson "Is It Because I'm Back" (Twilight)
    Terry Callier - What Color Is Love (Cadet)
    The Coup - Kill My Landlord, (Wild Pitch)
    The Coup - "Genocide & Juice" (Wild Pitch)
    The Meters "S/T" (Josie)
    The Meters "Struttin" (Josie)
    Thelonious Monk--Brilliant Corners (Riverside)
    Turner Brothers - "Act 1"
    Van Morrison "Astral Weeks" (warner Brothers)
    Whispers - "shhh" (Solar)

5 star rated LP's (soulstrut approved)

It's been almost a full year...time to revisit?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Guzzo- if you don't know the fathers children lp i think you would flip if you heard it...80's modern boogie shit!

I've heard that one track, Hollywood something or other. Check the bid histories on the some of the last few to get up on ebay, you'll see my name there

depends what kind of music you're into honestly but start with the basics, from Black Sabbath to the Temptations

interesting. I used to think like this but the truth is there are some unique, beautiful, and rare items that many should want. Its no ones fault that the demand for these pieces has raised their value.

Take anything by the Whatnauts for instance. Of the ones I've heard I think they put out some good quality records I heard my first whatnauts a few months after I actively started looking for soul and funk LP's. I was a little shocked when I found my first one at Wax Tracks back '99 and Rich said $200.

I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't discount finding music you love cause its raer or expensive. some people will just think a lovelites is that much more worth having in their collection that a Four Tops.

Although if your looking for the raer ust cause its raer than you are doing a major dis-service to everyone but the sellers.

I feel you *d*m, but I think appreciation is more what Jonny's alluding to. It's like growing up with a silver spoon shoved in your mouth, as opposed to actually having to work for the things you really want. It's just nice know that people also realize that there's a solid foundation that all this raer is founded on. The harder to come by records are really just extensions of that. In a phrase, know your roots.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

and if you refuse to buy a re-issue/CD of S.O.U.L., Al Green, the Whatnauts, etc. because you have to have the $XXX original, then you are doing yourself a dis-service. Get that beautiful music in your life until you can get your hands on that historical artifact (or whatever the fuck the term is).

• Lovelites

add on

Please stop talking about Lovelites all the time!

I dont know about some you fellows, but Im in this for the fetish aspect of it just as much as the music aspect of it. Im totally comfortable with that. I dont think there is anything wrogn with paying two hundred dollars for something because there were only three hundred made. It makes me feel good to have something that is totally handmade and like a limited print artist book. Why, I dont know. But that seems to be something that comes from collecting over a number of years. Its like I constantly need greater and greater fixes of rarity and originality. But I dont understand how people, after a few years of collecting, can all of a sudden feel that need to drop two hundred dollars on something just cause its raer. Personally I keep the crazy shit Im chasing to myself. The regular shit that everyone knows, who cares.

and if you refuse to buy a re-issue/CD of S.O.U.L., Al Green, the Whatnauts, etc. because you have to have the $XXX original, then you are doing yourself a dis-service. Get that beautiful music in your life until you can get your hands on that historical artifact (or whatever the fuck the term is).

Then you'd be buying it twice! Or is the re-selling reissues game that strong nowadays?

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Lovelites

add on

Please stop talking about Lovelites all the time!

• I hear ya. I'm probably covered there. Would be innerested in reading something like the "Top 100 Consensus SS records" or something similar.

5 star rated LP's (soulstrut approved)

It's been almost a full year...time to revisit?

Thanks for posting that list. I dunno if that thread cleared anything up though...it devolved into bickering, imagine that!

Surprised to see not one Isaac Hayes album on that list too. And no Funkadelic s/t? Whaaaa?