Top 5 Records That Are Now Twice As Expensive

Comments

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

I dont know about some you fellows, but Im in this for the fetish aspect ...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    depends what kind of music you're into honestly but start with the basics, from Black Sabbath to the Temptations

Don't mind me I'm just an old bugger that thinks people shouldn't want $200 records until they've been collecting for a while

interesting. I used to think like this but the truth is there are some unique, beautiful, and rare items that many should want. Its no ones fault that the demand for these pieces has raised their value.

Take anything by the Whatnauts for instance. Of the ones I've heard I think they put out some good quality records I heard my first whatnauts a few months after I actively started looking for soul and funk LP's. I was a little shocked when I found my first one at Wax Tracks back '99 and Rich said $200.

I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't discount finding music you love cause its raer or expensive. some people will just think a lovelites is that much more worth having in their collection that a Four Tops.

Although if your looking for the raer ust cause its raer than you are doing a major dis-service to everyone but the sellers.

and if you refuse to buy a re-issue/CD of S.O.U.L., Al Green, the Whatnauts, etc. because you have to have the $XXX original, then you are doing yourself a dis-service. Get that beautiful music in your life until you can get your hands on that historical artifact (or whatever the fuck the term is).

Then you'd be buying it twice! Or is the re-selling reissues game that strong nowadays?

i thought the SS bellweather said it would be any day now!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I hear ya. I'm probably covered there. Would be innerested in reading something like the "Top 100 Consensus SS records" or something similar.

5 star rated LP's (soulstrut approved)

It's been almost a full year...time to revisit?

Thanks for posting that list. I dunno if that thread cleared anything up though...it devolved into bickering, imagine that!

Surprised to see not one Isaac Hayes album on that list too. And no Funkadelic s/t Dallas Mavericks as 2005-2006 NBA Champions? Whaaaa?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I dont know about some you fellows, but Im in this for the fetish aspect ...

Dr*w, I'd pay $$$ for that LP

lurkers:[/b] holla at your boy

• I dont know about some you fellows, but Im in this for the fetish aspect ...

Come on now, Im into way freakier shit than that!

• La di da
    Eddie Fisher & The Next 100 Years

add on

Please stop talking about that record all the time!

Yo Jason I really regret posting it up for d/l...

seriously

• I hear ya. I'm probably covered there. Would be innerested in reading something like the "Top 100 Consensus SS records" or something similar.

Thanks for posting that list. I dunno if that thread cleared anything up though...it devolved into bickering, imagine that!

Surprised to see not one Isaac Hayes album on that list too. And no Funkadelic s/t Dallas Mavericks as 2005-2006 NBA Champions? Whaaaa?

lol. I see ya workin. I haven't been in that thread cos there's not much more I can say until my Mavs do some real playoff damage. They are, for now, chugging along, getting healthy, holding down w/ ease the third best record in the league, and occasionally giving up 80 point games to (alleged) rapists.

C'mon R***, get out here and help me defend these Mavs!

Sir Drewn, if I could direct your attention to the events of Saturday, November 19....... j/k...we don't have to go back there.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I hear ya. I'm probably covered there. Would be innerested in reading something like the "Top 100 Consensus SS records" or something similar.

lol. I see ya workin. I haven't been in that thread cos there's not much more I can say until my Mavs do some real playoff damage. They are, for now, chugging along, getting healthy, holding down w/ ease the third best record in the league, and occasionally giving up 80 point games to (alleged) rapists.

C'mon R***, get out here and help me defend these Mavs!

Sir Drewn, if I could direct your attention to the events of Saturday, November 19....... j/k...we don't have to go back there.

I'll bow out...just the thought still makes my palms sweat.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I see no problem with wanting records after you hear them regardless of how long you've been at it or how expensive it is. Everyone has different tastes and different wallet sizes so there really shouldn't be a set of rules. If people are passing up good commons that's their problem.

DJ Ferrari

• Everyone has different tastes and different wallet sizes so there really shouldn't be a set of rules.

Good point. It's all relative. Is $200 one less night out at Ruth Chris or you gonna have to float that utilty bill for a month now?

• I'll bow out...just the thought still makes my palms sweat.

Hey man, it's all I got as a Mavs fan. The body of work the Pistons are laying down this year is beyond impressive. (now takes this shit to the NBA thread...)

[/threadjack]

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I see no problem with wanting records after you hear them regardless of how long you've been at it or how expensive it is. Everyone has different tastes and different wallet sizes so there really shouldn't be a set of rules. If people are passing up good commons that's their problem.

Folks starting grumbling about this when dudes were buying $100 funk 45s who hadn't yet placed a dent in the James Brown or Otis Redding discographies... and its hard to argue with that

Like shelling out a grand for Leafhound without owning the first several Sabbath records...

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    Folks starting grumbling about this when dudes were buying $500 funk 45s who hadn't yet placed a dent in the James Brown or Otis Redding discographies... and its hard to argue with that
    otis redding is not funk.

otis redding is not funk.

Yes, I know that

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    no ayo, i'm just saying that you can like funk 45s without liking otis redding.

• I don't buy the "you need the foundation records before getting into the heavy shit" arguments at all. I mean, little dude hears a Lovelites cut, has some cash and buys the LP for $80 back in August. Who can bust on him for that? The JB and Otis shit will ALWAYS be readily available for cheap. Get the good while you can because a lot of it is just going to get more expensive with time. As much as you're buying a $200 lp for the music on it, you're also usually buying it with almost an investor's mindset-that you're not going to be losing money should the need arise in the future that (god forbid) you have to sell shit off. That's how I think about it to a degree anyway.

Man, I can't condone that shit

If you're buying expensive funk 45s and do not own any Otis you need to go back to school...

If you're buying expensive funk 45s and do not own any Otis you need to go back to school...

• This all reminds me of two things:

1. Mr. Supreme in an old Soulman column, to some new jack: "Yeah and when you get tired of this, I'll buy your collection"

2. A collection I recently saw which was like a "whats what" of the hot "digger" records of the last ten years. I mean, dude had THE SHIT. Everything from lemuria to skull snaps to hank ballard to Saturday Night Special to 47 times its own weight and everything in between. A lot of the tags were still on, and they were mostly from The Sound Library and Dusty Groove. Apparently, this guy had been buying up every known raer, building a kind of "marquee" collection, and then got married, either lost interest or needed money, and sold the shit. Sold it at a tremendous loss.

Which is to say, if you're just investing, there are a lot better ways to make money.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    willie and the bumblebees-honey from the bee

• ryanryan 334 Posts

whatever dudes. you buy your crappy otis redding records, and i'll buy the records i like.

• woah. who disses otis redding???

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    This all reminds me of two things:

1. Mr. Supreme in an old Soulman column, to some new jack: "Yeah and when you get tired of this, I'll buy your collection"

2. A collection I recently saw which was like a "whats what" of the hot "digger" records of the last ten years. I mean, dude had THE SHIT. Everything from lemuria to skull snaps to hank ballard to Saturday Night Special to 47 times its own weight and everything in between. A lot of the tags were still on, and they were mostly from The Sound Library and Dusty Groove. Apparently, this guy had been buying up every known raer, building a kind of "marquee" collection, and then got married, either lost interest or needed money, and sold the shit. Sold it at a tremendous loss.

Which is to say, if you're just investing, there are a lot better ways to make money.

So you bought all of these LP's then?

whatever dudes. you buy your crappy otis redding records, and i'll buy the records i like.

I really hope you're young, man

Like teenager young

• This all reminds me of two things:

So you bought all of these LP's then?

No it was in the possession of a dealer/colleague. I did buy a few things.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    woah. who disses otis redding???

look, soul isn't my thing.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

I really hope you're young, man

Like teenager young

and why do you hope i'm young?

• I've just never heard anyone diss Otis Redding before. That's like dissing Black Sabbath.

Wait a minute!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

While there is something to be said for your balls-out self confidence, nothing you've said really justifies it.

In other words, you are my favorite type of poster.

More, plaese.