Top 5 Records That Are Now Twice As Expensive

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Folks starting grumbling about this when dudes were buying $100 funk 45s who hadn't yet placed a dent in the James Brown or Otis Redding discographies... and its hard to argue with that

Like shelling out a grand for Leafhound without owning the first several Sabbath records...

Yeah I totally agree how that's a silly thing to do, I was just saying there's really no reason to grumble over it because it's their problem. Unless of course that person is outbidding you on something

DJ Ferrari

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

it's a soulstrut party pic!

• I've just never heard anyone diss Otis Redding before. That's like dissing Black Sabbath.

Wait a minute!

Otis Redding....he made that movie w/ RZA, GZA and Bill Murray, didn't he?

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    no ayo, i'm just saying that you can like funk 45s without liking otis redding.

Man, I can't condone that shit

If you're buying expensive funk 45s and do not own any Otis you need to go back to school...

whatever dudes. you buy your crappy otis redding records, and i'll buy the records i like.

While there is something to be said for your balls-out self confidence, nothing you've said really justifies it.

In other words, you are my favorite type of poster.

More, plaese.

what do i need to justify? i like what i like, period. i can spend my hardearned money on the records i want. i can have an opinion that differs from some high post count guy who thinks i'm a young teenager because i don't like otis. i can even stray from the herd mentality that often afflicts this board.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I've just never heard anyone diss Otis Redding before. That's like dissing Black Sabbath.

Wait a minute!

this is a very stange joke question.

EDIT - not that strange - i'm just slow. it had to be explained to me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

If you're buying expensive funk 45s and do not own any Otis you need to go back to school...

whatever dudes. you buy your crappy otis redding records, and i'll buy the records i like.

While there is something to be said for your balls-out self confidence, nothing you've said really justifies it.

In other words, you are my favorite type of poster.

More, plaese.

what do i need to justify? i like what i like, period. i can spend my hardearned money on the records i want. i can have an opinion that differs from some high post count guy who thinks i'm a young teenager because i don't like otis. i can even stray from the herd mentality that often afflicts this board.

you have to understand that faux rills can only feel joy by pretending he has superior tastes and intellect. It's best to humor him with a kind smile and nod. I find it fun to sometimes type what he expects just to see him respond with something comparable to the joyous visual of a pig in mud.

A difference in opinion is something he'll eventually be taught when Young Jeezy drops his cover of the childrens classic "It's ok to be different"

people...hold on

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    i like what i like, period. i can spend my hardearned money on the records i want. i can have an opinion that differs from some high post count guy who thinks i'm a young teenager because i don't like otis. i can even stray from the herd mentality that often afflicts this board.

People need to chill with this ridiculous presumption that there's a "herd mentality" around here. I mean, shit, that debacle that's the "Saigon" thread shows that there are wildly divergent and passionate opinions around here.

The "herd mentality" argument - and it's been cropping up more - is totally disingenuous, the same way it used to be that, if you wanted to shut down a legit debate, you just accused the other person of being "too P.C." Note: you're not actually stating anything of real substance, you're merely making an accusation designed to excuse you from having to state anything of real substance.

Just to note too, a "herd mentality" is something that might apply to something very specific, like dudes jocking Nigo t-shirts or Madlib white label 12"s. LIKING OTIS REDDING, or really, SOUL MUSIC, is not a herd mentality. I mean, seriously...if you don't like soul, why the fuck are you on this board? In fact, I don't even get how one can get into funk 45s, expensive or not, and write off an entire genre that basically birthed that shit and whose musical principles underlie the entire genre. That's like saying, "I like hip-hop but I don't like funk." Huh? What?

I don't care if you're 13 or 31 or 91. And hey, it's cool if you don't like Otis (even though personally, by saying that, I have to mistrust anything you ever have to say about music, ever) but don't expect to drop that out there and not expect people to

you from here to eternity. You might as well said, "I don't like sex" or "I don't like ice cream" or "I don't like oxygen."

you have to understand that faux rills can only feel joy by pretending he has superior tastes and intellect. It's best to humor him with a kind smile and nod. I find it fun to sometimes type what he expects just to see him respond with something comparable to the joyous visual of a pig in mud.

A difference in opinion is something he'll eventually be taught when Young Jeezy drops his cover of the childrens classic "It's ok to be different"

people...hold on

Oh great, now we have to start up THIS SHIT again?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

people...hold on

Oh great, now we have to start up THIS SHIT again?

no it was just jokes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Oh great, now we get to start up THIS SHIT again!!

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    i like what i like, period. i can spend my hardearned money on the records i want. i can have an opinion that differs from some high post count guy who thinks i'm a young teenager because i don't like otis. i can even stray from the herd mentality that often afflicts this board.

People need to chill with this ridiculous presumption that there's a "herd mentality" around here. I mean, shit, that debacle that's the "Saigon" thread shows that there are wildly divergent and passionate opinions around here.

The "herd mentality" argument - and it's been cropping up more - is totally disingenuous, the same way it used to be that, if you wanted to shut down a legit debate, you just accused the other person of being "too P.C." Note: you're not actually stating anything of real substance, you're merely making an accusation designed to excuse you from having to state anything of real substance.

Just to note too, a "herd mentality" is something that might apply to something very specific, like dudes jocking Nigo t-shirts or Madlib white label 12"s. LIKING OTIS REDDING, or really, SOUL MUSIC, is not a herd mentality. I mean, seriously...if you don't like soul, why the fuck are you on this board? In fact, I don't even get how one can get into funk 45s, expensive or not, and write off an entire genre that basically birthed that shit and whose musical principles underlie the entire genre. That's like saying, "I like hip-hop but I don't like funk." Huh? What?

I don't care if you're 13 or 31 or 91. And hey, it's cool if you don't like Otis (even though personally, by saying that, I have to mistrust anything you ever have to say about music, ever) but don't expect to drop that out there and not expect people to
    you from here to eternity. You might as well said, "I don't like sex" or "I don't like ice cream" or "I don't like oxygen."

look, i'm not trying to make ad hominem attacks. but you are not seeing the forest from the trees. this is what i mean by herd mentality "i want record x because y says its good" or "you can't like funk if you don't like otis." chorus "yeah, that's right!" that's being a lemming. go jump off a cliff with your leader already, whatever. also, for the record i like funk and not hip hop. finally, it is irrelevant whether you trust my taste in music--that trully is an ad homimen attack.

• I've just never heard anyone diss Otis Redding before. That's like dissing Black Sabbath.

Wait a minute!

this is a very stange joke question.

EDIT - not that strange - i'm just slow. it had to be explained to me.

Jokes that need to be explained usually aren't very funny anyway.

Liking funk without liking Otis isn't what I said. I don't get how one can like funk but not soul however.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    well people like soul all the time without liking funk. look at how northern soul looks down upon funk. conversely, look at how on fryer's board they refer to it as "norman soul." i don't think i am an anomoly in that respect. but like i said, it doesn't really matter--just as long as I like it.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    depends what kind of music you're into honestly but start with the basics, from Black Sabbath to the Temptations

Don't mind me I'm just an old bugger that thinks people shouldn't want $200 records until they've been collecting for a while

dead on...

it amazes me that there are people who want to spend 50-300 dollars on funk 45's without already owning shit like:

all temps stuff from 67-72
    all james brown productions from 67-72
    all george clinton from 67-72
    all dyke and the blazers 45s
    all rufus thomas from 67-72
    all jackson 5 stuff
    all wilson pickett from 67-72
    all aretha stuff from 67-72

or shit like "boogaloo down broadway", "bold soul sister", "amen brother", "razorblade" , etc ,etc, etc

all 1-15 dollar records...

if you don't own 'em, you're missing out on a hell of a lot of musical enjoyment for yourself, AND, your DJ sets will be a million times better b/c 99% of the population doesn't give a fuck if DJ Shadow used that drumbreak, but they know "i want you back"...

it's probably just b/c i'm cheap as fuck, but i've been buying records constantly for 15 years and i still find cheap stuff every day i don't have... having varied tastes helps, too...

• djrdjr 511 Posts

I am certainly regretting not getting a copy of Inell Young's "What Do You See In Her" when it was half the price it is now.

• I mean yeah certain records will double in price. But when I see bidding wars where between Hotsauce84 and Reynaldo82, I start wondering (true story)

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Have we yet reached the point where folks are posting MP3s of records so they can throw them on the 'bay a couple weeks later, instigating a frenzy??
    Yes.

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    well people like soul all the time without liking funk. look at how northern soul looks down upon funk. conversely, look at how on fryer's board they refer to it as "norman soul." i don't think i am an anomoly in that respect. but like i said, it doesn't really matter--just as long as I like it.

but most of the people on that board like northern, even if they don't like the northern scene, and some people on the northern scene call it norman for a joke, so thats not a good example.

anyway, getting back to the original point of the thread (and connecting with a different one), that Trinikas has gone nuts

and how much is the inell young worth now? even when it was first on sisterfunk GC was listing it at ??120, and he had all the copies... except the place where I and a few others scored several for ??15-30... bu that was way back...

I should've bought one at $150 when it was offered, but I was outta my mind and passed at the time.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I really hope you're young, man

Like teenager young

and why do you hope i'm young?

Because if you truly appreciate the music, eventually you will realize you're only checking for the most obvious and gimmicky facet of soul, and you'll want to dig deeper

Most of us went through that phase long ago, which brings us here: where we all can't believe someone would say they love funk but can't get with soul

I never talked down on you, and I appreciate your responses... but I still hope you're young

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i don't like any great black music.

• i don't like any great black music.

HONKEY CRACKER MO FO

• ryanryan 334 Posts

I really hope you're young, man

Like teenager young

and why do you hope i'm young?

Because if you truly appreciate the music, eventually you will realize you're only checking for the most obvious and gimmicky facet of soul, and you'll want to dig deeper

although i completely disagree with your statement that funk is "the most obvious and gimmicky facet of soul," i respect your take it-or-leave-it attitude. soulstrut needs more of this. but otis, sam & dave, aretha, et al will never be on my menu.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i don't like any great black music.

HONKEY CRACKER MO FO

i do like blue eyed and brown eyed soul.

i also like star of david blues.

and crescent of allah pop-psych.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

What's up with that?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

What's up with that?

• crescent of allah pop-psych.

=======

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    crescent of allah pop-psych.

What's up with that? I need to hear some Islamic pop-psych madness.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    STARK REALITY - Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Starcrost-Starcrost
    Starcrost-Starcrost
    Starcrost-Starcrost
    Starcrost-Starcrost
    Starcrost-Starcrost