Top 5 Records That Are Now Twice As Expensive

Comments

• i like what i like, period. i can spend my hardearned money on the records i want. i can have an opinion that differs from some high post count guy who thinks i'm a young teenager because i don't like otis. i can even stray from the herd mentality that often afflicts this board.

People need to chill with this ridiculous presumption that there's a "herd mentality" around here. I mean, shit, that debacle that's the "Saigon" thread shows that there are wildly divergent and passionate opinions around here.

The "herd mentality" argument - and it's been cropping up more - is totally disingenuous, the same way it used to be that, if you wanted to shut down a legit debate, you just accused the other person of being "too P.C." Note: you're not actually stating anything of real substance, you're merely making an accusation designed to excuse you from having to state anything of real substance.

Just to note too, a "herd mentality" is something that might apply to something very specific, like dudes jocking Nigo t-shirts or Madlib white label 12"s. LIKING OTIS REDDING, or really, SOUL MUSIC, is not a herd mentality. I mean, seriously...if you don't like soul, why the fuck are you on this board? In fact, I don't even get how one can get into funk 45s, expensive or not, and write off an entire genre that basically birthed that shit and whose musical principles underlie the entire genre. That's like saying, "I like hip-hop but I don't like funk." Huh? What?

I don't care if you're 13 or 31 or 91. And hey, it's cool if you don't like Otis (even though personally, by saying that, I have to mistrust anything you ever have to say about music, ever) but don't expect to drop that out there and not expect people to
    you from here to eternity. You might as well said, "I don't like sex" or "I don't like ice cream" or "I don't like oxygen."

I don't like ice cream.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    no ayo, i'm just saying that you can like funk 45s without liking otis redding.

Man, I can't condone that shit

If you're buying expensive funk 45s and do not own any Otis you need to go back to school...

whatever dudes. you buy your crappy otis redding records, and i'll buy the records i like.

This is one of the only posts that I have read that I must reply to without reading the rest of the thread first.

You are a piece of shit if you call Otis Redding "crap." I mean every word of that. You just sonned yourself in the LIFE game, kid.[/b]

• ryanryan 334 Posts

If you're buying expensive funk 45s and do not own any Otis you need to go back to school...

whatever dudes. you buy your crappy otis redding records, and i'll buy the records i like.

This is one of the only posts that I have read that I must reply to without reading the rest of the thread first.

You are a piece of shit if you call Otis Redding "crap." I mean every word of that. You just sonned yourself in the LIFE game, kid.[/b]

relax dude. its just an opinion, feel free to disregard it. we're just talking about records.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

and how much is the inell young worth now? even when it was first on sisterfunk GC was listing it at ??120, and he had all the copies... except the place where I and a few others scored several for ??15-30... bu that was way back...

8/22/04 Young, Innel ??? Next Ball Game/Part Of The Game $109

12/13/04 Young, Innel ??? Next Ball Game/Part Of The Game $91

1/20/05 Young, Innel ??? Next Ball Game/Part Of The Game $120

6/1/05 Young, Innel ??? Next Ball Game/Part Of The Game $103

11/30/05 Young, Innel ??? Next Ball Game/Part Of The Game $122.50

12/5/04 Young, Innel ??? What Do You See In Her/I Remember The Summer $543

5/19/05 Young, Innel ??? What Do You See In Her/I Remember The Summer $284

6/12/05 Young, Innel ??? What Do You See In Her/I Remember The Summer $203

8/2/05 Young, Innel ??? What Do You See In Her/I Remember The Summer $196

And this was discussed in another thread by the Jeremy OST by Lee Gagnon going up to $300-$500 on eBay was crazy as hell. Now it's gone back down.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

relax dude. its just an opinion, feel free to disregard it. we're just talking about records.

I don't know about you, but "Dreams to Remember" is not a "record" in my book. You cannot buy and sell emotion like that. "You Left The Water Running" with audible foot-taps, wooden stools, and creaky floorboards in Mr. Stone's studio is not "just a cover."

This is not about Northern Soul or Southern Soul or Deep Soul or Holy-Shit-The-Man-Died-When-He-Was-26 Soul. This is LIFE. If you don't understand this, then go listen to Salt. I have a personal problem with a man who has heard Otis Redding and calls his life's work "crap."

Folks: it's the SELF-SONNING OF THE YEAR.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm winning the next clean Lovelites on eBay.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

I don't know about you, but "Dreams to Remember" is not a "record" in my book. You cannot buy and sell emotion like that. "You Left The Water Running" with audible foot-taps, wooden stools, and creaky floorboards in Mr. Stone's studio is not "just a cover."

This is not about Northern Soul or Southern Soul or Deep Soul or Holy-Shit-The-Man-Died-When-He-Was-26 Soul. This is LIFE. If you don't understand this, then go listen to Salt. I have a personal problem with a man who has heard Otis Redding and calls his life's work "crap."

its only January 10, so that's not really saying much.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Waste of good words there Luck. I mean he said just records. GTFOH

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Oh - just so you can stand to listen to the boring Otis - "Hard To Handle" has a choppable drum break. You know, the song that you thought was by the Black Crowes.

Hal-e-fucking-lujah.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

you miss the point. i doubt i will miss out on the important things in life because i don't like one musician's records.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The fact that it is the self-sonning of 2006 and it is only January 10th means, yes indeed, that it is saying a lot.

Please tell me that you are an alias. Jesus fucking lord christ god.

you miss the point. i doubt i will miss out on the important things in life because i don't like one musician's records.

The original point of contention was that you wrote off an entire GENRE = SOUL MUSIC, not just Otis Redding.

• ryanryan 334 Posts

The fact that it is the self-sonning of 2006 and it is only January 10th means, yes indeed, that it is saying a lot.

Please tell me that you are an alias. Jesus fucking lord christ god.

i stand by what i say, i don't like otis redding or "soul" music. deal with it.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    YOU'RE A HUGE HERB

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    YOU'RE A HUGE HERB

you're a little late to the party.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I don't buy the "you need the foundation records before getting into the heavy shit" arguments at all. I mean, little dude hears a Lovelites cut, has some cash and buys the LP for $80 back in August. Who can bust on him for that? The JB and Otis shit will ALWAYS be readily available for cheap. Get the good while you can because a lot of it is just going to get more expensive with time. As much as you're buying a $200 lp for the music on it, you're also usually buying it with almost an investor's mindset-that you're not going to be losing money should the need arise in the future that (god forbid) you have to sell shit off. That's how I think about it to a degree anyway.

similar to what you said, what i usually do is try to scoop up good records for "below market value".

But i can see how people can be mad at little dudes for going after only the raers. (My friend is a diehard basketball fanatic and a diehard fan of Nikes. He hates all the Toy-ass fashion dudes who sport the retro 4's or 11's, even though they don't ball). I think it's similar in that respect with records too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

i dunno which scale you're using (good records, ebay, gemm whatever) but cannonball adderley's 'soul of the.., love, sex.. etc.' series has at least doubled in value over the years.

we had a black messiah go for 60$ on the 'bay, but back when we did set sales, the price never topped 25$. it strange that the abundance of adderley reissues didn't slow down the market.

Really? I thought all of those Cannonball Adderly titles had been reduced to $10 records.
    I thought all them Cannonball Adderley titles were $5.99 or less!

In the 60's and 70's, Cannonball was up there with Ramsey Lewis and Jimmy Smith - the token jazz records in a Top 40 fan's collection. The records sold, made the Billboard charts, and in some cases stayed in print. His albums are extremely common where I'm at.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    First of all,

Mongo needs to explain why he doesn't like ice cream or else he's as soft as, um, ice cream.

And with Ryan...I must say, dude's weathering the storm of hate pretty well (no sarcasmo).

Howoever, I don't mean to keep pressing the issue here...but I still can't understand this: funk IS soul music; a sub-genre perhaps but the aesthetics of funk are practically all based in soul to begin with. So I simply cannot understand how one can actually choose between the two and make a distinction.

Just so we're real clear here: this isn't an attack on you Ryan. I'm trying to genuinely understand how you make these choices.

Does this mean James Brown doing "The Popcorn" gets a thumbs-up but James Brown doing "Gettin Down To It" doesn't? If you're not feeling Otis Redding, what about the Bar-Kays? Is Aaron Neville's "Hercules" a soul or funk song to you? Or do you not like it regardless?

Real Headz??? wanna know.

• woah. who disses otis redding???

look, soul isn't my thing.

Then neither is funk....

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    woah. who disses otis redding???

look, soul isn't my thing.

The neither is funk....

what ever happened to Philipe Lehman?

5 yrs ago he would really go nuts on a 'soul and funk are not the same thing and soul sucks' thing.

to me: listening to 16th note funk shuffle beats in every song is fucking boring.

• looks like the Strut is back on form... thanks Ryan!

• Goddammit! Would you crackers shut the hell up already?!?! You're saltin' my herding game!

"I just keeeeeedin!"

but seriously, I'm still not getting the Jim Jarmusch/Otis Redding joke

• but seriously, I'm still not getting the Jim Jarmusch/Otis Redding joke

Merely a reference to Jim's film and Otis' song: "Coffee & Cigarettes" vs. "Cigarettes & Coffee".

Stupid joke. Hatt away.

• but seriously, I'm still not getting the Jim Jarmusch/Otis Redding joke

Merely a reference to Jim's film and Otis' song: "Coffee & Cigarettes" vs. "Cigarettes & Coffee".

Stupid joke. Hatt away.

ahhhhhhh....now I get it. And I should know this because I have that song.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i dunno which scale you're using (good records, ebay, gemm whatever) but cannonball adderley's 'soul of the.., love, sex.. etc.' series has at least doubled in value over the years.

we had a black messiah go for 60$ on the 'bay, but back when we did set sales, the price never topped 25$. it strange that the abundance of adderley reissues didn't slow down the market.

Really? I thought all of those Cannonball Adderly titles had been reduced to $10 records.

I thought all them Cannonball Adderley titles were $5.99 or less!

In the 60's and 70's, Cannonball was up there with Ramsey Lewis and Jimmy Smith - the token jazz records in a Top 40 fan's collection. The records sold, made the Billboard charts, and in some cases stayed in print. His albums are extremely common where I'm at.

There was a minor collecting craze for them during the early and mid-nineties because they had been heavily sampled, but with the advent of the internet people a) realized that they were pretty common, and b) had their horizons generally broadened such that they recognized that there were better approaches to record collecting than tracking down samples.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    So no Otis Huh...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

There was a minor collecting craze for them during the early and mid-nineties because they had been heavily sampled, but with the advent of the internet people a) realized that they were pretty common, and b) had their horizons generally broadened such that they recognized that there were better approaches to record collecting than tracking down samples.

Not that this didn't prevent newer generations from pursuing the same route. I can't hate since it's what first propelled my interest in collecting but luckily, I got over the need to possess the Vic Jurises out there.

Now I only collect D4L samples.

• There was a minor collecting craze for them during the early and mid-nineties because they had been heavily sampled, but with the advent of the internet people a) realized that they were pretty common, and b) had their horizons generally broadened such that they recognized that there were better approaches to record collecting than tracking down samples.

Not that this didn't prevent newer generations from pursuing the same route.

Actually, I don't see this at all. There is absolutely no money in "originals" today, ten years ago you could get $40 for a hot sample.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Not that this didn't prevent newer generations from pursuing the same route.

Actually, I don't see this at all. There is absolutely no money in "originals" today, ten years ago you could get $40 for a hot sample.

What about the market for "potential samples"?

"Ill horn stabz!"

"Chunky synth breakz!"