DJ Premier speaks on Serato

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    who said it was stopping? I even stated I will be using it here shortly as it makes total sense. It's just weird to dj a whole evening with the same record on the turntable, you never have to pick it up and switch that shit. That in itself is not wierd to you as a dj that plays 4 hour sets almost every night of the week? I played this spot last week, lugged 5 crates in and got to doing my thing. The guy opening up had a computer and not even serato, in fact he never even touched the turntables and the program he was using even mixed the songs for him! I overheard his girl telling him he was a better dj then I was! Fucking hilarious. So is that not ruining the game? The fact that this girl had no respect at all for a dude that just carried in 400lbs. of wax and was ripping through them and killing it? I'm just saying that as a purist and lover of this dj culture it is ruining some things, at the same though as I said it does make total sense and I will stay current with the times. I come from the true school of deejaying though so I have earned my prestigious medal! lol. Real shit though. Has anyone here caught a DJ AM set? The last time he played here he through on his Serato and literally stood in place typing text messages into his blueberry all night!!!! No lie. The mix he was playing was sick but it was already produced and he wasn't doing shit. Basically a 30 minute long AV8 record. I'm not mad at his hustle but is this not the end of the game when djs aren't even deejaying anymore, just playing premade mixes off the computer? Just think about this O, the fact you don't see a dj grabbing or flipping through records or taking them off and switching them on the platter but standing there with a mouse instead. It just kind of isn't right. Imagine if back in the day you had an off the hook dj that rocked 8 track tapes. Well then they come out with the 12" disco single and so on. Imagine if that dude never switched up and you went and seen him absolutely kill it rocking 8 track tapes, would you not be totally amazed?

All this makes a lot of sense. There are positives to serato especially for the traveling DJ, but I think the negative's out weight the positives. Especially when you have disrespectful displays towards DJs who do a killer live set flipping through countless records to rock a party and then the next DJ comes in with his white Mac and plays a selection of pre produced mixes and gets more props. There is definitely something wrong there. It's just weird to me. I've been to clubs and shows where I've watched DJ's on stage staring at a computer screen-face lit up, oblivious to the crowd on the dance floor scrolling through tracks. The shit looks utterly retarded. There was one time during the time when the first CDJ100's came out and I watched DJ Apollo on stage flipping through a big book of CD-Rs for his set. And at one point the CDJ's froze up.

I cut, scratch, transform with finesse with Serato so it really is all up to the DJ. I've had someone say it looks like you're checking your email while you're mixing. I can get with that and believe me, it's fucking weird after 15 years not to be switching records when you mix, BUTTTTTTTTTTT I can do all sorts of shit I could never do before unless I pressed up my own records.
    I make scratch intros to songs, make re-edits etc.
    For Halloween I made a beat for my intro using that Tubular Bells/Exorcist joint and then made a scratch sentence all with the same theme. Shit was
    I'm just saying, it's really all up to the DJ and how they want to use the tools available to them.
    Pre-made mixes are as fucking wack as it gets but fools could do that with a CD too. I agree with Premier that you should pay some dues before you go out and start using stuff like Serato, if for nothing else than your own benefit as a dj.
    All of those experiences teach you lessons

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    'Preme,

I feel what you're saying here. Yeah, that is pretty fucking wack though what's weird to me...isn't that practically like coming into a club and just playing a mixtape? I've used Serato before, but like you: just to replace my vinyl collection, not as a way of avoiding having to mix and actually play songs.

That said, I'd love to check out a software program that can mix songs for me, just to see how well that shit actually works.

who said it was stopping? I even stated I will be using it here shortly as it makes total sense. It's just weird to dj a whole evening with the same record on the turntable, you never have to pick it up and switch that shit. That in itself is not wierd to you as a dj that plays 4 hour sets almost every night of the week? I played this spot last week, lugged 5 crates in and got to doing my thing. The guy opening up had a computer and not even serato, in fact he never even touched the turntables and the program he was using even mixed the songs for him! I overheard his girl telling him he was a better dj then I was! Fucking hilarious. So is that not ruining the game? The fact that this girl had no respect at all for a dude that just carried in 400lbs. of wax and was ripping through them and killing it? I'm just saying that as a purist and lover of this dj culture it is ruining some things, at the same though as I said it does make total sense and I will stay current with the times. I come from the true school of deejaying though so I have earned my prestigious medal! lol. Real shit though. Has anyone here caught a DJ AM set? The last time he played here he through on his Serato and literally stood in place typing text messages into his blueberry all night!!!! No lie. The mix he was playing was sick but it was already produced and he wasn't doing shit. Basically a 30 minute long AV8 record. I'm not mad at his hustle but is this not the end of the game when djs aren't even deejaying anymore, just playing premade mixes off the computer? Just think about this O, the fact you don't see a dj grabbing or flipping through records or taking them off and switching them on the platter but standing there with a mouse instead. It just kind of isn't right. Imagine if back in the day you had an off the hook dj that rocked 8 track tapes. Well then they come out with the 12" disco single and so on. Imagine if that dude never switched up and you went and seen him
    absolutely kill it rocking 8 track tapes, would you not be totally amazed?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I haven't actually used such software, but I know there is stuff out there that will mix stuff based on whatever BPM it detects for a track. The human element can never be taken out of DJing just for the sole fact that a computer can't read a crowd

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

I agree with Premier that you should pay some dues before you go out and start using stuff like Serato, if for nothing else than your own benefit as a dj.
    All of those experiences teach you lessons

• What if you're a dj who doesn't own any records and uses Serato exclusively and you're still a dope dj? Would that be OK? Kids are going to be using Serato without ever getting into vinyl and you have to accept the fact that some of them are going to be good.

• ayoayo 44 Posts
    I guess they will be "mircowave" dj's with skills than.

• this is a dope graemlin btw...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    After lastnight's little spat,it got me thinking maybe i haven't exposed myself to you dudes enough for you to know where i'm coming from.What you guys said to me really,
    really affected me deep down in the furtherest reaches of my inner's inner,in other words i got "ass hurt"

Dues paying and owning 2000 records has nothing up on good ole practice / hard work.Do you think that most of the new generation of turntablists that have the techniques down pat,and may own just a couple of battle records and doubles of "rock the bells" are really anyless important.Just because the tools and know how is easier to access today than it was in the past doesn't change the fact that they're still doing and creating new styles while premo is stuck back in his 92 scratch pattern.To call them microwave dj's is to insult the artform of turntablism that people like Q-bert and Babu and so many others worldwide have been advancing since that time up to this very day.
    I have a big problem with this line of reasoning that premier is coming with,he just sounds jealous if you ask me that his skills didn't advance.But at the same time a youngin' starting out these days,learns all the scratching and beat juggling and mixing routines at such at fast rate now it's mind boggling more power to them because they do know their schitt inside out contrary to what people may think.

Ok now lets talk superhuman feats in dues paying.

1.If Premo or anyone for that matter on the board has never had to borrow an entire coffin(turntables, mixer,effects unit,amp)lift and put in the back/trunk of the car,drive 70 odd miles on winding motion sickness inducing roads,just to reach the venue early and still not be given a soundcheck,then in the night have the soundman fuck up your sound when you perform,then when youre done the only way to transport the coffin from the venue is by canoe over a river to get back to dry land just because they wont let you back though the front gate of the venue,have not paid any dues.The event was Jamaica Sunsplash venue White River Ocho Rios,oh did i forget to mention we drove 70 miles back to get the equipment back to a area that was under police curfew.All this was done for NO MONEY by the way just the for the opening slot to get some exposure.I have a lot more stories like that i dont like typing maybe another day i'll share some more.

2.Having to buy a cheap mixer 80 US dollars normal price 60 US dollars sale,(beringher vmx 100) at the jamaican price equivalent of 200 US Dollars.Reason being the government charges 40% IMPORT DUTY ON ELECTRONIC ITEMS,and then the local seller marks up the price by 60% to gorge your eyes out.Then to compound the insanity youre buying the mixer that was on display and that hasn't been dusted in at least 6 months.You dudes have it so nice you dont even realize.

3.You try and explain to people that this hip hop thing is some schitt that's a artform,and you should adhere to the rules set down by the hip hop stalwarts,
    they respond to you and tell you to stop trying to do the "white boys music" or why do you like that "Battyman music"?( i know you didn't know it got that ignant here in JA,they bottled Notorious BIG here when he was in a wheelchair with a broke leg at the STING show) to this day this opinion exists in many people here(even some of your most beloved reggae artists think this way).I need to hear from you people if your dues paying was anything like this

4.The countless amounts of times,not getting paid for (scratch work,beat making remixes,etc) when your work is released and selling are too numerous to start naming out,but this in no way makes me express myself in a bitter like manner like Premo or anyone that shares his way of thinking does.I've been actively pursuing a hip hop career from 1989 to 2001,when i finally stopped and said to myself it isn't worth the effort no more.
    for those wondering how old i am i'll be 36 next year february,i've been hooked on this thing since 1979 when i first heard Sugarhill Gang " and General Echo's "Arleen" and i'm still getting that feeling from hearing dope tracks to this very day.I expect a lot of you people on here to mock this post and say stuff like "magnetic has really lost it" but whatever,i know that we may look backward and out of it downhere,but there's never been a time when we have been totally out of the loop,And for DJ Day's benefit,i knew about and was shown the transform scratch back in the same year Cash Money and Marvelous - "Ugly people be quiet" dropped and it was demonstrated to me using both the fader and the line switch.

I really resent being told by Cas and Day that i should be hit with a sack of schitt over another man that "breaths the same air" and isnt "no different" from me.
    So in parting i'd just like to say that Day & Cas should go and eat a whole bowl of schitt dip with chips,no hard feelings right

ps: Hoggin' tell your bwoy B Cause that the dude with techniques tattoo showing off the faderless flare scratch on the instructional vid is "tekin' life" "dunnin' de place" right now,his HOOD PASS is CERTIF**KINFIED in yard,and you dont have to question this and that goes double for you and your wifey and B Cause.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I really resent being told by Cas and Day that i should be hit with a sack of schitt over another man that "breaths the same air" and isnt "no different" from me.

So in parting i'd just like to say that Day & Cas should go and eat a whole bowl of schitt dip with chips,no hard feelings right

Wow, that last post is a lot to respond to and I'm not about to go there right now, but about me and Cas' comment...

I thought when I told you I was going to fish some of my doodoo out of the toilet, place it ever so gently in a ziplock bag, find out where you live, buy an airplane ticket and fly to your house, then knock on your door and hit you in the mouth with a squishy bag of turds, you might take it seriously. I should have told I was joking.

It was wrong of me.

. I should have told I was joking.

It was wrong of me.

That why you should use the gremlins,It's all cool though,i just didn't realize you guys take dude so seriously .

• That why you should use the gremlins,It's all cool though,i just didn't realize you guys take dude so seriously.

Dude, Cas and Premo were practically engaged before he met Anna.

To clarify: I'm not hatting; I was happy for them.

But Anna's a homewrecker.

That why you should use the gremlins,It's all cool though,i just didn't realize you guys take dude so seriously.

Dude, Cas and Premo were practically engaged before he met Anna.

To clarify: I'm not hatting; I was happy for them.

But Anna's a homewrecker.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    . I should have told I was joking.

It was wrong of me.

That why you should use the gremlins,It's all cool though,i just didn't realize you guys take dude so seriously.

There's no hard feelings on how Primo does his cuts.

But the last thing I'll say is, style outweighs technicality to me.

peace

There's no hard feelings on how Primo does his cuts.

But the last thing I'll say is, style outweighs technicality to me.

peace

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    dude.

very simply...you called primo out on never learning "the basics" of cutting and had the nerve to split hairs over how he does the cuts that he does. premier is one of the guys whose scratches have always been on point to me regardless of how simple they are or what method he uses. you talked shit on him and i jokingly brought it to you. simple as that.

i've been cutting since '91. day has logged beaucoup hours of cuts and has evolved into a fucking beast of a dj/producer/back-up dancer that many fools respect and whose opinions are valued by many. we're not elitist assholes. i consider myself a very well rounded dude and i'm sure day considers himself the same. to me though, your stance is the ultimate in the turntablist bullshit elitist mentality that i've grown to despise in both "tablists" and "beatdiggers" alike. if something is funky...it's funky. i can't argue this point any further. if you don't follow now at 36 years old, i don't know if you ever will.

no need for me to go any further in depth than that. i was joking about the sack of dookie. despite having access to numerous bags of shit on a daily basis...i have never really hit anyone with a bag of doo-doo. it was meant to be a funny way of insulting you. in america we call them jokes. i meant you no loss of sleep.

as for you in a canoe with a coffin full of equpiment...

dude.

very simply... i was joking about the sack of dookie.despite having access to numerous bags of shit on a daily basis...i have never really hit anyone with a bag of doo-doo. it was meant to be a funny way of insulting you.in america we call them jokes.i meant you no loss of sleep.

as for you in a canoe with a coffin full of equpiment...

Yeah in Jamaica we use "suck yuh mumma" as a greeting to.Please dont say this to anyone Jamaican without knowing them for a good while first.

• I haven't actually used such software, but I know there is stuff out there that will mix stuff based on whatever BPM it detects for a track. The human element can never be taken out of DJing just for the sole fact that a computer can't read a crowd

yeah I talked to this fucking fag of a DJ here that has a mix show at like 0 in the morning on a pop ass bitch station and he introduced me to this program that will mix AND two songs without doing SHIT. Just tell it what to mix, press the button and BAM. He demonstrated mixing Trick Daddy-Sugar whatever and a slow pop song from a girl and it magically slowed down the Trick Daddy and blended perfectly with the other song. It sounded weird as fuck to say the least..but its all this guy uses. Fucking ridiculous..to top it off, all the songs he uses if promo CD singles he gets from the station he works at.

And you guys are complaining about SERATO???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    As someone who's interviewed many DJs, especially turntablists, I seriously doubt that Q-Bert or Babu would ever be offended by what Primo has to say. These dudes respect Preem to the fullest because they recognize that while Premier may not have invented the orbit flare, he has done more to advance DJing in hip-hop than 99.999999% of turntablists out there. None of the central scratch DJs would ever dispute that. That'd be like Charlie Parker shitting on Sidney Bechet or Monk dissing Duke simply please the older pioneers weren't as virtuostic.

Moreover, these same DJs embrace Serato and CDJs because it expands their options. But most of them would totally look askew at someone who ONLY knows how to scratch via CDJs or possesses 3000 MP3s but no vinyl. They might say, "yeah, that dude can rip it on the turntables" but I can also promise you that, behind their back, they'll be motioning to each other, "shit, he ain't real."

The thing is: for the DJs who came up in the '80s and '90s, they are keenly aware of history and tradition AND innovation. So it's not contradictory for them to champion the integration of newer technology into their routines but they also still understand the importance of tradition and understanding where things come from and why. For that reason, folks like the Beat Junkies, Triple Threat, 5th Platoon, etc.: they'll never abandon a love affair for records and vinyl simply out of convenience. And they would likely be a bit suspicious of younger DJs whose only experience with music is digital.

Fuck, I promise you that somewhere, J-Rocc is reading over that Premier interview and chuckling to himself, "yeah, fucking microwave DJs."

• as another jamaican on this board, its good that magnetic gave you all another perspective. Its easy for premier and evrybody else to say pay dues and own 2000 records, but what about the poeple who are in situations where vinyl is hard to find. No access to those uber vestax turntables etc. what they are microwave djs for trying to use serato. its easy for premier to sit in his revolving leather chair in D&D studios and say whatever, but the fact is there are dj's out there with prolly 20 records who scratch circles around premier. the fact is owning 2000 records and lifting you own crates to gig doesnot mean that your a great dj. practice and work makes you a great dj. I have immense respect for premier always did, but his statement sounds very bitter, especially coming from a point of privilege that he's at right now. As one of the legends iin the games with many years of bangers under his belt (ayo), he's the last person that i expected to make such a blanket statement. Frankly i'm all for rules i nhip hop we all grew up on them, bu the fact is that microwave dj's can't take away his legacy.

I think what he should have said was don't view serato as a end all be all of learning to be a dj. You have to practive in order for serato to be even helpful to you.

i don't understand what premeir expects with his whole 2000 records comment. you guys are lucky, you can source og lps in mint or sealed condition. I don't think i'll ever see a record in that quality in my lifetiem out here. The best we have at our disposal, if we can even find records to begin with is vg- if there is such a thing but definitely not vg or vg+. And i know its worste in alot of other countries. I remember reading a source article years ago, about hip hop in cuba. And mc's like deadprez and mos and kweli staged a concert with the proceeds going to providing equipment for aspiring cuban producers.

We are the peole who have a right to complain and bitch and moan. but we don't we're just happy to be making the music. It kinda leaves a sour taste in your mouth when your idol suggests that you may be less than worthy because of your circumstances.

Lastly with the way things are presented now, information is more accessible. THis can only make for better dj's because everyone has access to the methods behind it all. If some one can develop a new scratch and all he uses is serato. more power to him. he's advancing the dj game.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I just wish Premier made a statement in the 90's on the 80% of DJ's who used a DAT and pretended to throw down "live" on stage.

• I just wish Premier made a statement in the 90's on the 80% of DJ's who used a DAT and pretended to throw down "live" on stage.

I'm sure he did.

• I just wish Premier made a statement in the 90's on the 80% of DJ's who used a DAT and pretended to throw down "live" on stage.

I'm sure he did.

RUN-DMC

If you got a DAT, you get dissed![/b]

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I just wish Premier made a statement in the 90's on the 80% of DJ's who used a DAT and pretended to throw down "live" on stage.

I'm sure he did.

Probably. We all remember his "stop tellin' ma secrets" declaration.

Somedayz I wish for much simpler times.

• His respect is concrete no doubt,but he's not beyond being critiqued.

It was going beyond critique and becoming a "let's clown Primo" free-for-all. You guys are better than that, or at least I would like to think you are. Soulstrut started out as a place for intelligent conversation about music, past and present, but I am afraid that it is slowly turning into something else. I'm all for having fun and talking about stupid schitt (see "Memorable Farts" thread), and I am not saying that anybody has to like Primo's recent output- I don't like some of it myself, but that's not even the point. The point is that rampant defecating all over hip hop icons is , period. In this microwave age people have the freedom to anonymously type out any wack ass opinion they want to, but BACK IN THE DAYS if you said some of the schitt in public that people say on the internet your ass would've gotten beat down and stripped naked in broad daylight. We need to get back to that kinda schitt, if you ask me. Beatin' wack muthaf***as down and stripping them naked in broad daylight! YEAH! THAT REAL SCHITT, N***A!!!"

phil, no disrespect but i don't see how bringing back stripping and pistol whipping people for their opinions is a return to intellegent converstaion about music.

besides beating someone down for dissing premier is its just music dude, let it go.

• you know, that's why I bought Serato in the first place

Just to clarify my position a little more,my no means do i think that my 'dues paying" could compare to those in the eastern block states or other 3rd and 4th world communist places in the world.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I haven't actually used such software, but I know there is stuff out there that will mix stuff based on whatever BPM it detects for a track. The human element can never be taken out of DJing just for the sole fact that a computer can't read a crowd

Ya, but you can program AI and base in on weighted factors, charts and movement. It doesn't cost much to put in some sensors/lazers to dectect the number of people on the floor or the weight of the floor. It wouldn't be perfect, but this is also the same era in which mixtapes don't contain blends anyhow.

I personally would want a human DJ the same way I've seen them all my life, but I'm just saying this is possible

• Use some

on it.

Jonny dont be flaunting it in front our face like that, dont you know we starving downhere "we'll nyam yuh food"

"What is joke to you is dead to me!"