DJ Premier speaks on Serato

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Should Primo have spent the past year or two trying out his Lil Jon imitation seeing as how Jon was huge and had everybody jumping on his dick for his alleged innovation and evolution of the game? Would you really want to hear that? I sure as hell wouldn't. Let Lil Jon do Lil Jon beats; let Primo do Primo beats.

Of course not, but just as I enjoyed hearing '92 Primo in 1992 and '98 Primo in 1998, I would like to hear '05 Primo in 2005, rather than simply being offered more reheated '98 Primo.

Fair enough.

Here's a hard truth: most artists' creativity eventually exhausts itself and I'm not sure Primo has it in him anymore to make music that I find interesting. It's possible that the question of what he should to get me to buy his records in 2005 is just not answerable.

Now this, to me, is a far more interesting and fruitful area of discussion than "How bitter is DJ Premier?" I've often thought--using Dr. Dre as my primary example, though you could probably use Primo instead--that artists strive for a certain sound or quality, and once they feel like they've got it, they level off. The problem is that a lot of people liked the journey those artists took, and once said artists level off, fans are kinda left saying, "Why didn't he keep going?"

From Wreckin' Cru to the beginning of the Ruthless era to Efil4ziggan to The Chronic, Dre kept on progressing, and it was exciting. Nowadays, he's levelled off, though, and I'm kinda left cold. You can't deny his track record, how fresh he is with the EQing, and how clean his sound is, but personally, I'm just not as interested in Dre anymore and even find him boring. I can't knock him--he's found his niche or at least feels like he has--but I don't get excited about Dre's stuff anymore.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Should Primo have spent the past year or two trying out his Lil Jon imitation seeing as how Jon was huge and had everybody jumping on his dick for his alleged innovation and evolution of the game? Would you really want to hear that? I sure as hell wouldn't. Let Lil Jon do Lil Jon beats; let Primo do Primo beats.

Of course not, but just as I enjoyed hearing '92 Primo in 1992 and '98 Primo in 1998, I would like to hear '05 Primo in 2005, rather than simply being offered more reheated '98 Primo.

Here's a hard truth: most artists' creativity eventually exhausts itself and I'm not sure Primo has it in him anymore to make music that I find interesting. It's possible that the question of what he should to get me to buy his records in 2005 is just not answerable.

I think the problem with Premo is that he blew up in the 90's and everyone demanded more. You also had Premo clones trying to dduplicate his chop sound. And for this I think he's played himself out. People are too familiar with his sound now and it's not special anymore. The same thing is happening with 9th Wonder for example. When he was unknown he was getting props. Now people are starting to hate his shit. maybe Premier can stop using teh same kick and snare and go back to those dope loops he use to sample. That style from his early days was the shit. who knows what will happen with premo, but he will always be legendary.

• Do you see what this whole thread had devolved into? All I said was show the man his well deserved respect, and something as simple as that is too much for some folls. Still they want to put the emphasis on "yeah, but his beats now are butt". Anyway, let's look at this picture again and let it marinate:

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Do you see what this whole thread had devolved into?

Yeah really, being threatened to get hit with a bag of schitt by two different people in the same post is soo

All I said was show the man his well deserved respect

His respect is concrete no doubt,but he's not beyond being critiqued.

• Just for the record, Premo gets a pass (that's funny) from me for his legend status. I haven't really been checkin' as of late, but I'm not gonna hate. We need to respect the "elders" of the present and past. Grandpa get a little ranty sometimes but he's grampa. You respect him. Yeah that's right. I'll bump the Rev too. LOL RIP Jam Master Jay and Scott La Rock

edit

His respect is concrete no doubt,but he's not beyond being critiqued.

no doubt

Calling something shit isn't a critique. Not saying you did, I can't be arsed to remember who posted what. How's my Brittish? Did that make sense?

• [quote

as long as primo doesn`t reheat using a microwave??

i don`t give a fuck how primo scratches,it sounds good..

interested to hear the last primo production that people were feeling...???

• His respect is concrete no doubt,but he's not beyond being critiqued.

It was going beyond critique and becoming a "let's clown Primo" free-for-all. You guys are better than that, or at least I would like to think you are. Soulstrut started out as a place for intelligent conversation about music, past and present, but I am afraid that it is slowly turning into something else. I'm all for having fun and talking about stupid schitt (see "Memorable Farts" thread), and I am not saying that anybody has to like Primo's recent output- I don't like some of it myself, but that's not even the point. The point is that rampant defecating all over hip hop icons is , period. In this microwave age people have the freedom to anonymously type out any wack ass opinion they want to, but BACK IN THE DAYS if you said some of the schitt in public that people say on the internet your ass would've gotten beat down and stripped naked in broad daylight. We need to get back to that kinda schitt, if you ask me. Beatin' wack muthaf***as down and stripping them naked in broad daylight! YEAH! THAT REAL SCHITT, N***A!!!"

• I'm a little concerned about your rampant graemlin abuse, Phill.

BACK IN THE DAYS if you said some of the schitt in public that people say on the internet your ass would've gotten beat down and stripped naked in broad daylight. We need to get back to that kinda schitt, if you ask me. Beatin' wack muthaf***as down and stripping them naked in broad daylight! YEAH! THAT REAL SCHITT, N***A!!!"

Thats beyond funny .

• I'm a little concerned about your rampant graemlin abuse, Phill.

It's a style, my brotha... just like Primo's way of chopping those boring beats of his!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Phill,

For someone who's quick to slay other hip-hop idols (KRS comes to mind), I just don't get why you think this has been a "let's bash Primo free for all". I can't speak on the really stupid shit like Magnetic's line of argument (I'm sorry man, but this whole crossfader vs. line switch debate has to be one of the single most inane examples of geeked out snobbery I've seen on Soulstrut yet).

Primo has been the man for many years. I'll just leave it at that.

But Phill. Phill, Phill, Phill...

Your mission to "rescue Soulstrut from itself" is about, oh, two years way too late. We've long descended into a complete embarassment. I applaud the sentiment but c'mon mang, SS plays itself out in 1,000 different ways daily. You can't rescue what's already lost.

That's

I can't speak on the really stupid shit like Magnetic's line of argument (I'm sorry man, but this whole crossfader vs. line switch debate has to be one of the single most inane examples of geeked out snobbery I've seen on Soulstrut yet).

I dont see how this is any more stupid than premo's statement about owning 2000 records,and getting a medal for it,then you'll be able to use the dildo.What if I own 1999 records do i buy one more before i can EARN the right to BUY the DILDO?

C'mon really now.

I can't speak on the really stupid shit like Magnetic's line of argument (I'm sorry man, but this whole crossfader vs. line switch debate has to be one of the single most inane examples of geeked out snobbery I've seen on Soulstrut yet).

I dont see how this is any more stupid that premo's statement about owning 2000 records,and getting a medal for it,then you'll be able to use the dildo.What if I own 1999 records do i buy one more before i can EARN the right to BUY the DILDO?
    C'mon really now.

Dude, those two statements aren't in the same ballpark. They're not even in the same sport.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return to digitizing my records for use with Serato.

I gotta say that Serato has stepped up my "collecting" game because I can now afford to drop $100 on a rare and no longer have to spend that same $100 on expanding my 12" collection for gigging out.

I'll admit that I collect Mp3s...If anything, it has IMPROVED my raer knowledge and ability to collect.

I wish I had Premier's money. For the time being, I'll hit the happy medium.

Planet, I love ya and everything, but the puritanical attitude towards Serato is a bit narrow-minded.

gNAT

• Phill,

For someone who's quick to slay other hip-hop idols (KRS comes to mind)

O-Dub,

ARE YOU INSANE??? WHEN ON EARTH HAVE I EVER SLAYED KRS-ONE??? You cannot think I was serious when I did my little thing about "I didn't like his nose in 1988 and I don't like it now". Don't you think that goes totally against my whole "real schitt" credo? You 'bout to lose all credibility, hommie! I'm still being nice in 2005, but I'm pullin' cards in 2006, mane! You on the wrong side in this war, potna, don't do it to yaself! Stop while you're ahead- you know I'm down with Thes and Jean Grae and them, right?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    OH SCHITT. PHILL'S GOIN' OFF!

• OH SCHITT. PHILL'S GOIN' OFF!

DON'T FUCK WITH ME WHEN I'M OFF MY MEDS!!!!

• OH SCHITT. PHILL'S GOIN' OFF!

He's coming with some innovative graemlin styling too. I was worried he was just gonna keep rehashing the same graemlins over and over.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    "Bobbito ( my homie) is a staunch hater of serato. He thinks its the downfall of everything"

Safe to say that it is! I couldn't agree with him more.

One thing no one mentioned here is that hip hop culture was about being fresh, breaking the rules and going against the grain. Cutting up an old ez listening record and rapping over it and making it "hot". You see there are no rules in hip hop! Who personally gives a fuck if Premier uses the crossfader or the switch? Are you gonna say Danny Krivit isn't a real dj because he uses the e&s rotary mixer that doesn't even have a fader or a switch! (Pic Below)

Are most of you aware of Danny Krivit and the early cut and paste and edit records he did that are hip hop classics to this day? One thing ALL of you must understand is how long guys like myself, Bobitto, Phil, Primo have been around doing this shit. I was doing this shit when you went to the record store and there wasn't a rap section or the people working there didn't know what rap music was. Now you can buy dj in a box complete with a hat, hip hop raisin bran, serato scratch live, ipod dj, log onto soulstrut and see what hot breaks there are, etc. etc. Even the how to transform dvd like your man mentioned earlier in these posts!I did not have these things when I got started in this game like all of you do now. I had to literally teach myself how to dj, find my own breaks, and so on. Premier was even doing this a few years before I was. He has earned every right to be pissed off about where it has gone and what it has turned into. If it wasn't for guys like him who would really be the one to preserve authentic shit? Then when he does we have a lot of you guys who like it or not are really New Jacks talking shit about him being bitter? Give credit where it is due, he is a true pioneer in this game and you must respect the architect. I don't totally agree with all the new technology but I have to sit back and just realize that these are the days and times we live in and to each his own. Whatever works for certain people is what it is. I will probably start using Serato soon although I'm against it, it makes so much sense. We could go on and on about so many issues here and arguments. I just want say I agree with Phil on this issue and Primo is no doubt the man and still one of my all time top dudes when it comes to this culture.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    nicely put, dee.

...and with that. i think this thread should rest in piss.

"Bobbito ( my homie) is a staunch hater of serato. He thinks its the downfall of everything"

Safe to say that it is! I couldn't agree with him more.

One thing no one mentioned here is that hip hop culture was about being fresh, breaking the rules and going against the grain. Cutting up an old ez listening record and rapping over it and making it "hot". You see there are no rules in hip hop! Who personally gives a fuck if Premier uses the crossfader or the switch? Are you gonna say Danny Krivit isn't a real dj because he uses the e&s rotary mixer that doesn't even have a fader or a switch! (Pic Below)

Are most of you aware of Danny Krivit and the early cut and paste and edit records he did that are hip hop classics to this day? One thing ALL of you must understand is how long guys like myself, Bobitto, Phil, Primo have been around doing this shit. I was doing this shit when you went to the record store and there wasn't a rap section or the people working there didn't know what rap music was. Now you can buy dj in a box complete with a hat, hip hop raisin bran, serato scratch live, ipod dj, log onto soulstrut and see what hot breaks there are, etc. etc. Even the how to transform dvd like your man mentioned earlier in these posts!I did not have these things when I got started in this game like all of you do now. I had to literally teach myself how to dj, find my own breaks, and so on. Premier was even doing this a few years before I was. He has earned every right to be pissed off about where it has gone and what it has turned into. If it wasn't for guys like him who would really be the one to preserve authentic shit? Then when he does we have a lot of you guys who like it or not are really New Jacks talking shit about him being bitter? Give credit where it is due, he is a true pioneer in this game and you must respect the architect. I don't totally agree with all the new technology but I have to sit back and just realize that these are the days and times we live in and to each his own. Whatever works for certain people is what it is. I will probably start using Serato soon although I'm against it, it makes so much sense. We could go on and on about so many issues here and arguments. I just want say I agree with Phil on this issue and Primo is no doubt the man and still one of my all time top dudes when it comes to this culture.

I wont even try and argue with this.I've seen Deerock's

• hip hop raisin bran

ARE YOU INSANE??? WHEN ON EARTH HAVE I EVER SLAYED KRS-ONE??? You cannot think I was serious when I did my little thing about "I didn't like his nose in 1988 and I don't like it now". Don't you think that goes totally against my whole "real schitt" credo?

Well, I know a lot of folks who never really liked KRS. Sorry, but 'round these parts, sarcasm is a bit hard to detect. I just think you're a sincere guy

• Well, I know a lot of folks who never really liked KRS.

Plaese remind me to stay away from wherever you and these folks mingle at. There is something in the water, and plaese believe me, whatever it is, it is not that real schitt.

I'd like to hear more elaboration from Supreme as to why Serato is fucking the game up. I mean, 45 King, Jazzy Jeff, Triple Threat, etc. all use that shit because it's convenient. What has been the spillover of more microwave DJs rocking digital DJing? The way I see it, DJs have embraced technology from Day One. Why stop now?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    who said it was stopping? I even stated I will be using it here shortly as it makes total sense. It's just weird to dj a whole evening with the same record on the turntable, you never have to pick it up and switch that shit. That in itself is not wierd to you as a dj that plays 4 hour sets almost every night of the week? I played this spot last week, lugged 5 crates in and got to doing my thing. The guy opening up had a computer and not even serato, in fact he never even touched the turntables and the program he was using even mixed the songs for him! I overheard his girl telling him he was a better dj then I was! Fucking hilarious. So is that not ruining the game? The fact that this girl had no respect at all for a dude that just carried in 400lbs. of wax and was ripping through them and killing it? I'm just saying that as a purist and lover of this dj culture it is ruining some things, at the same though as I said it does make total sense and I will stay current with the times. I come from the true school of deejaying though so I have earned my prestigious medal! lol. Real shit though. Has anyone here caught a DJ AM set? The last time he played here he through on his Serato and literally stood in place typing text messages into his blueberry all night!!!! No lie. The mix he was playing was sick but it was already produced and he wasn't doing shit. Basically a 30 minute long AV8 record. I'm not mad at his hustle but is this not the end of the game when djs aren't even deejaying anymore, just playing premade mixes off the computer? Just think about this O, the fact you don't see a dj grabbing or flipping through records or taking them off and switching them on the platter but standing there with a mouse instead. It just kind of isn't right. Imagine if back in the day you had an off the hook dj that rocked 8 track tapes. Well then they come out with the 12" disco single and so on. Imagine if that dude never switched up and you went and seen him absolutely kill it rocking 8 track tapes, would you not be totally amazed?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    who said it was stopping? I even stated I will be using it here shortly as it makes total sense. It's just weird to dj a whole evening with the same record on the turntable, you never have to pick it up and switch that shit. That in itself is not wierd to you as a dj that plays 4 hour sets almost every night of the week? I played this spot last week, lugged 5 crates in and got to doing my thing. The guy opening up had a computer and not even serato, in fact he never even touched the turntables and the program he was using even mixed the songs for him! I overheard his girl telling him he was a better dj then I was! Fucking hilarious. So is that not ruining the game? The fact that this girl had no respect at all for a dude that just carried in 400lbs. of wax and was ripping through them and killing it? I'm just saying that as a purist and lover of this dj culture it is ruining some things, at the same though as I said it does make total sense and I will stay current with the times. I come from the true school of deejaying though so I have earned my prestigious medal! lol. Real shit though. Has anyone here caught a DJ AM set? The last time he played here he through on his Serato and literally stood in place typing text messages into his blueberry all night!!!! No lie. The mix he was playing was sick but it was already produced and he wasn't doing shit. Basically a 30 minute long AV8 record. I'm not mad at his hustle but is this not the end of the game when djs aren't even deejaying anymore, just playing premade mixes off the computer? Just think about this O, the fact you don't see a dj grabbing or flipping through records or taking them off and switching them on the platter but standing there with a mouse instead. It just kind of isn't right. Imagine if back in the day you had an off the hook dj that rocked 8 track tapes. Well then they come out with the 12" disco single and so on. Imagine if that dude never switched up and you went and seen him absolutely kill it rocking 8 track tapes, would you not be totally amazed?

All this makes a lot of sense. There are positives to serato especially for the traveling DJ, but I think the negative's out weight the positives. Especially when you have disrespectful displays towards DJs who do a killer live set flipping through countless records to rock a party and then the next DJ comes in with his white Mac and plays a selection of pre produced mixes and gets more props. There is definitely something wrong there. It's just weird to me. I've been to clubs and shows where I've watched DJ's on stage staring at a computer screen-face lit up, oblivious to the crowd on the dance floor scrolling through tracks. The shit looks utterly retarded. There was one time during the time when the first CDJ100's came out and I watched DJ Apollo on stage flipping through a big book of CD-Rs for his set. And at one point the CDJ's froze up.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Especially when you have disrespectful displays towards DJs who do a killer live set flipping through countless records to rock a party and then the next DJ comes in with his white Mac and plays a selection of pre produced mixes and gets more props. There is definitely something wrong there. It's just weird to me. I've been to clubs and shows where I've watched DJ's on stage staring at a computer screen-face lit up, oblivious to the crowd on the dance floor scrolling through tracks.
    If you can play a pre-mixed set on Serato and still have a crowd dancing, that is not a problem with Serato; that is a problem with a retarded crowd. Plus, what do you do when there's a song that clears the floor? Drop another premade mix? Honestly, in a top 40 club or whatever the fuck where you're just trying to get the girls to dance, it doesn't matter what you're DJing with because no one there gives a shit. I will say that it would be really weird to see someone do a funk set on Serato. All in all, whoever rocks shit the hardest deserves respect. That's all. It don't matter what you're playing on.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    hello dear sir(s), madam(s), and/or realhead(z)

id rather hear dj premier cut than ricci rucker any day of the week... im more into hiphop and funk than wizardrock for pretty much for the same reasons. peace... mcdee

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Here's what he says:

"With Rane's Serato, there's a lot of microwave DJ's out there with MP3's. But Serato is, to me, something you have to earn. I'm like "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig?" If you have, then you can graduate to Serato. Here's your medal."

i always dreaded the day a dj legend like premo would graduate to using an mp3 mixing program. but what do you do when 90% of clubs have shit sound systems and 90% percent of the public are stupid and don't even give a shit?
    vinyl is getting pushed out of the mainstream, mainly for practical reasons. still it took a lot longer than most people thought it would. most clubs still have turntables, y'know? vinyl will never die.