DJ Premier speaks on Serato

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I haven't actually used such software, but I know there is stuff out there that will mix stuff based on whatever BPM it detects for a track. The human element can never be taken out of DJing just for the sole fact that a computer can't read a crowd

Ya, but you can program AI and base in on weighted factors, charts and movement. It doesn't cost much to put in some sensors/lazers to dectect the number of people on the floor or the weight of the floor. It wouldn't be perfect, but this is also the same era in which mixtapes don't contain blends anyhow.

I personally would want a human DJ the same way I've seen them all my life, but I'm just saying this is possible

Dude.. Give me fliX... I changed up spots a few weeks back cause it was 8 for $20 and got a pile of poo doo. 2 vids weren't even the right movies. 2 were not subbed (eventhough they said they were). 2 were fukked up encodes, and 2 worked fine... Last time I change spots, unless of course one of us hangs closer to the other HA...

Was there major busts up at Pac last week? I thought I saw footage on the news.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My peoples...let's not go overboard here.

The technology to replace DJs has existed for years, long before discotheques even became the hot shit in the 1970s. If a club wanted to remove the "human element" it'd be as easy as playing a mixtape or CD, or put an itunes library on random.

the reason why DJs get hired is because clubs think there's added value in having a person and name to attach to an evening. Much of this is psychological: it's not that you need to have a good DJ, but patrons go to a club expecting a human being in the DJ booth and regardless if they can tell if said DJ is competent or not, it'd be a different story if they walked into a club and all that awaited them was a CD jukebox.

The reason why most of us have been able to play out over the last 20-30 years is precisely because there's an allure with the idea of a DJ - as a leader, as an orchestrator, etc. Technology can enhance the DJ's ability to play to a crowd - make things push-button easy in fact - but it can't replace our physical presence and until that paradigm changes, people will still want to hire DJs.

The technology to replace DJs has existed for years

EXACTLY

The technology to replace DJs has existed for years

• phil, no disrespect but i don't see how bringing back stripping and pistol whipping people for their opinions is a return to intellegent converstaion about music.

besides beating someone down for dissing premier is its just music dude, let it go.

NO! I will NOT let it go!!! NEVERNEVERNEVERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

I did not say specifically that people should get beat down for dissing Primo, I spoke about wack ass fake muthaf**kas in general getting beat down in broad daylight and stripped naked, like back when we used to usually take all n***a's garments. I am not against mashin' out Primo hatters, though. This would indeed bring me joy. In fact, it is only right in my book. But I am cut from a different cloth than any who thinks otherwise.

And I said nothing about whipping folls with pistols, but that's a damn good touch to add to it. Buck 50's also would be a nice way of making sure that these phony hip hop interlopers never forget what happens to those who dare to desecrate the holy banner of that which is the sacred Hip Hop.

its just music dude, let it go.[/b]

THIS is the problem, right here. "It's just music". This is the sentiment of the interloper, the infidel, the DEVIL that has taken what we have worshipped and cherished for so many decades and turned it into something disposable, something unneccessary and meaningless, something that has no soul. It is time for us, the true and living soldiers in this battle, to pick up our arms and wage holy war against the fakes, the frauds, the EVILDOERS which have been allowed to come into our land, usurp power and destroy all which has been built and nurtured for so many years.

WAKE UP, HIP HOP PEOPLE!!!

phil, no disrespect but i don't see how bringing back stripping and pistol whipping people for their opinions is a return to intellegent converstaion about music.

besides beating someone down for dissing premier is its just music dude, let it go.

I did not say specifically that people should get beat down for dissing Primo, I spoke about wack ass fake muthaf**kas in general getting beat down in broad daylight and stripped naked, like back when we used to usually take all n***a's garments. I am not against mashin' out Primo hatters, though. This would indeed bring me joy. In fact, it is only right in my book. But I am cut from a different cloth than any who thinks otherwise.
    And I said nothing about whipping folls with pistols, but that's a damn good touch to add to it. Buck 50's also would be a nice way of making sure that these phony hip hop interlopers never forget what happens to those who dare to desecrate the holy banner of that which is the sacred Hip Hop.

THIS is the problem, right here. "It's just music". This is the sentiment of the interloper, the infidel, the DEVIL that has taken what we have worshipped and cherished for so many decades and turned it into something disposable, something unneccessary and meaningless, something that has no soul. It is time for us, the true and living soldiers in this battle, to pick up our arms and wage holy war against the fakes, the frauds, the EVILDOERS which hve been allowed to come into our land, usurp power and destroy all which has been built and nutured for so many years.

Phill,

This is why you are the master, and the rest of us will have to take years of ur schooling us. Absolutely nobody could write out something like this with such passion and emotion. All the while, using classic graemlidoodles and keepin' it real...

And if I had to, I'd pay to post here!

btw I like cake.

• btw I like cake.

ME TOO!!!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    But I am cut from a different cloth than any who thinks otherwise.

What type? garbadene???

• phil, no disrespect but i don't see how bringing back stripping and pistol whipping people for their opinions is a return to intellegent converstaion about music.

THIS is the problem, right here. "It's just music". This is the sentiment of the interloper, the infidel, the DEVIL that has taken what we have worshipped and cherished for so many decades and turned it into something disposable, something unneccessary and meaningless, something that has no soul. It is time for us, the true and living soldiers in this battle, to pick up our arms and wage holy war against the fakes, the frauds, the EVILDOERS which have been allowed to come into our land, usurp power and destroy all which has been built and nurtured for so many years.

I was once like you and though hip hop was about ideals and thinking of it as being disposable was sacriligious at best. But when i see hip hoppers i respected making moves that go against the whole keep it real bullshit they were saying, i take all of that rules of hip hop bull shit with a grain of salt.

to be called an interloper, which if you didn't know means intruder or persons who meddles in the affairs of others, by somewho with little to know knowledge of how hiphop has affected my life is quite stupid. It is not the "interlopers" who have defiled your sacred art. it is the artists who continue to make wack shit and pass it off as good. It is the media for promoting this bullshit to a younger less knowledgable generation.

If you don't see something evenslightly homoerotic with taking off a mans clothes in broad daylight then hip hop interlopers are the least of your concerns.

besides lets get back on the topic of the post, what premier said was crazy and he needs to check himself.

If you don't see something evenslightly homoerotic with taking off a mans clothes in broad daylight then hip hop interlopers are the least of your concerns.

Baka(40 cal) baka(40 cal) braaap!!!!(calico/sub machine) licka a shat(shot).

Is this some batty bwoy baiting? What's wrong with a little hip-hop homo-eroticism?

• If you don't see something evenslightly homoerotic with taking off a mans clothes in broad daylight then hip hop interlopers are the least of your concerns.

It is not slightly homoerotic, it is TOTALLY homoerotic and downright !!!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

It is not slightly homoerotic, it is TOTALLY homoerotic and downright !!!

Genius.

Is this some batty bwoy baiting? What's wrong with a little hip-hop homo-eroticism?

We FEELIN' him downhere at the moment.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    I was once like you
    No, you were never ever like Phill. Not one day in your interloping life

besides lets get back on the topic of the post, what premier said was crazy and he needs to check himself.
    I thought of a way that Premier could've phrased it that would make you, and a whole lot of other people happier:

"With Rane's Serato, there's a lot of microwave DJ's out there with MP3's. But Serato is, to me, something you have to earn. I'm like "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig? Do you only have 20 records in a country where records are hard to find in VG+ condition? Have you ever transported them in canoes? Can you do the transformer scratch without using the line switch button?[/b]" If you have, then you can graduate to Serato. Here's your medal."

"With Rane's Serato, there's a lot of microwave DJ's out there with MP3's. But Serato is, to me, something you have to earn. I'm like "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig? Do you only have 20 records in a country where records(raer kind) are hard to find in VG+ any playable condition? Have you ever transported them in canoes? Can you do the transformer scratch without using the line switch button?[/b]" If you have, then you can graduate to Serato. Here's your medal."

• I thought of a way that Premier could've phrased it that would make you, and a whole lot of other people happier:

"With Rane's Serato, there's a lot of microwave DJ's out there with MP3's. But Serato is, to me, something you have to earn. I'm like "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig? Do you only have 20 records in a country where records are hard to find in VG+ condition? Have you ever transported them in canoes? Can you do the transformer scratch without using the line switch button?[/b]" If you have, then you can graduate to Serato. Here's your medal."

I had more than 2000 records, i had a sound system back in my high school days. We had thousands of records reggae, dancehall, hip hop 12's, couple disco heaters etc. We had to carry my crates and speakers and all the equipment to our gigs.

nice try though!!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    PRIMO SUCKS AT EVERYTHING AND ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL MAYBE!

• PRIMO SUCKS AT EVERYTHING AND ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL MAYBE!

• -

Yo there was a big bust at pacific, I think two weeks ago. My homegirl was there the next day and she said there was no boots in sight.

Have you hit that basement store on Dundas, a little east of Spadina? Tons of nice shit, it's 8 for $30 though.

Slightly related note: Its funny, I think I sent you a PM like a year ago about hollywood bootlegs in the city, and then this summer that shit just exploded.

Yeah, I just went in there for the first time a week ago. Looks pretty good. I'm gonna try there and if I have probs I'm going back to my old spot.

On the side note: Yeah, this summer was pretty crazy. Every corner was mad tables.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Serato will kill wax - even Phill is dumping his hip hop vinyl on ebay...Free music versus shit you have to pay for? How many people will still want to "keep it real" & spin wax/dig when they can get most shit for free with an internet connection? It's just reality. Vinyl will stay on as an audiophile/collectro thing, but shit is evolving & having 2000 records will soon be a thing of the past.

• I haven't carried heavy crates around for long enough - I should be ready for Serato in 2014.

I think it'd be worth asking labels if they plan to start easing back on vinyl promos in favor of MP3s?

Serato will kill wax - even Phill is dumping his hip hop vinyl on ebay...Free music versus shit you have to pay for? How many people will still want to "keep it real" & spin wax/dig when they can get most shit for free with an internet connection? It's just reality. Vinyl will stay on as an audiophile/collectro thing, but shit is evolving & having 2000 records will soon be a thing of the past.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    serato will kill top 40ish club vinyl but i don't really think it will touch much else.

• I think it'd be worth asking labels if they plan to start easing back on vinyl promos in favor of MP3s?

umm you mean they havent already???

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Most cats in Japan will continue to play vinyl and collect thousands of records. Those folls will keep it real, trust me! Get a Japanese interior magazine at any Japanese bookstore. One like "Interior Jack." These magazines profile apartments all over Tokyo and how people set up the design and interior of the place. Many apartments profiled have a pair of 1200s and LOTS of vinyl. I bet most of the vinyl that is being sold off by U.S. serato converts ends up in Japan. I'll post some pictures of Muro's crib later tonight so you can see the amount of vinyl folls keep in the crib in Tokyo.

• Most cats in Japan will continue to play vinyl and collect thousands of records. Those folls will keep it real, trust me! Get a Japanese interior magazine at any Japanese bookstore. One like "Interior Jack." These magazines profile apartments all over Tokyo and how people set up the design and interior of the place. Many apartments profiled have a pair of 1200s and LOTS of vinyl. I bet most of the vinyl that is being sold off by U.S. serato converts ends up in Japan. I'll post some pictures of Muro's crib later tonight so you can see the amount of vinyl folls keep in the crib in Tokyo.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Most cats in Japan will continue to play vinyl and collect thousands of records. Those folls will keep it real, trust me! Get a Japanese interior magazine at any Japanese bookstore. One like "Interior Jack." These magazines profile apartments all over Tokyo and how people set up the design and interior of the place. Many apartments profiled have a pair of 1200s and LOTS of vinyl. I bet most of the vinyl that is being sold off by U.S. serato converts ends up in Japan. I'll post some pictures of Muro's crib later tonight so you can see the amount of vinyl folls keep in the crib in Tokyo.

Japan knows the time!

• I think it'd be worth asking labels if they plan to start easing back on vinyl promos in favor of MP3s?

umm you mean they havent already???

They ARE already, aren't they? That's what i've been hearing. Putting songs on a memory stick or some unreal schitt.