DJ Premier speaks on Serato

123457»

Comments

• i dont like to cook it up once again, but for the record: primo is the man. even if you dont like or even respect his music, this is not just about music. damnit. it's hiphop culture.

hard work to dig through all that opinions and statements, but i have one question in mind, i'd really like to throw once again in the ring: whats a dj without wax?

i feel days (and all others) statements about the advanced possibilities of serato and such, but where will that "innovation" lead to? dj culture overcoming itselfs primary item removed by digital equipment? reducing to the pure and total skills of mp3 scratching and cutting techniques?
    there were times where having the "right" or even dopest / illest / whatever record was a kind of a dj skill (actually thats common to most dj cultures like dancehall soundsystem culture and others).
    i cant believe this being removed by just having the right mp3 (much easier to get through all that internet stuff) and is record collecting going to mean nothing in the future of dj culture?

i'd like to hear some opinions where some of you see this dj culture thing being developed to in some years.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    i dont like to cook it up once again, but for the record: primo is the man. even if you dont like or even respect his music, this is not just about music. damnit. it's hiphop culture.

hard work to dig through all that opinions and statements, but i have one question in mind, i'd really like to throw once again in the ring: whats a dj without wax?

i feel days (and all others) statements about the advanced possibilities of serato and such, but where will that "innovation" lead to? dj culture overcoming itselfs primary item removed by digital equipment? reducing to the pure and total skills of mp3 scratching and cutting techniques?
    there were times where having the "right" or even dopest / illest / whatever record was a kind of a dj skill (actually thats common to most dj cultures like dancehall soundsystem culture and others).
    i cant believe this being removed by just having the right mp3 (much easier to get through all that internet stuff) and is record collecting going to mean nothing in the future of dj culture?

i'd like to hear some opinions where some of you see this dj culture thing being developed to in some years.

It will be MP3 collecting. E-crates or something. I think the convienence thing is big with serato. Folks don't want to throw out their backs & I don't blame them. It's also opened a lot of doors in regards to creativity. The game has changed.

• I think it'd be worth asking labels if they plan to start easing back on vinyl promos in favor of MP3s?

umm you mean they havent already???

They ARE already, aren't they? That's what i've been hearing. Putting songs on a memory stick or some unreal schitt.

That's exactly what they are doing. I have a dude who brings around a trunkful of vinyl and a memory stick. He puts it into the drive, pulls it out and walks out the club.