DJ Premier speaks on Serato

Comments

• The transformer is an advanced scratch? That's like the second scratch you learn after the zigga zigga. LOL

Then again how many CAN do it like Jazzy Jeff and Cash Money[/b]? Not many.

Take out the bitterness and I feel what Primo is saying. The system of paying dues is disintegrating and quality control is lacking these days. That, combined with the lack of caring crowds, is making the title, DJ, kind of a joke. You're just a glorified jukebox, and I wouldn't doubt if some clubs start switching over to automated/computer DJ's. Pay for the software and you're done dealing with whiney DJ brats. .

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    What I don't get is, if some dude came on here and was like, "Hey guys, I just started DJ'ing, and don't really have many records or time to dig, but Soulseek has been hooking me up with some great music - can any of you recommend some hot raer funk breakbeat tracks for me to download? You know, shit that gets the house burning? Thanks!"

You mothers would clown that fucker to dust, and it's the same thing Primo was talking about...so why is he "bitter" for saying it?

Primo's holding it down for the traditional way. I'm really glad somebody is.

Dissing Primo because youthink he does his cuts with the line switch? The fuck? Has it seriously come to this?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The transformer is an advanced scratch? That's like the second scratch you learn after the zigga zigga. LOL

Then again how many CAN do it like Jazzy Jeff and Cash Money[/b]? Not many.

Take out the bitterness and I feel what Primo is saying. The system of paying dues is disintegrating and quality control is lacking these days. That, combined with the lack of caring crowds, is making the title, DJ, kind of a joke. You're just a glorified jukebox, and I wouldn't doubt if some clubs start switching over to automated/computer DJ's. Pay for the software and you're done dealing with whiney DJ brats. .

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This thread is embarrasing to me on so many levels.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if a microwave dj plays a dj premier record using serato at a club, does a massive spiderhole appear and swallow the whole place?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    THis is getting nerdier and nerdier.

If you really check though, I dont think primo has changed his posturing very much from back in the day.

And even though we now live in the D4l laffy taffy era, I am glad Primo is still yelling about THAT REAL SCHITT and not doing Jermaine Dupri collabos. Just because hes old doesnt mean fake ass microwave popcorn dj's shouldnt be called out!

if a microwave dj plays a dj premier record using serato at a club, does a massive spiderhole appear and swallow the whole place?
    No,but Premo gets all emotional and pouts.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    [no he didn't]Premo needs to learn how to tranform/scratch without using the line switch,before he starts complaining about microwave dj's[no he didn't]

what?! this is some ignorant ass shit. believe it or not, there was a time when there was no crossfade curve and fools had to use the line switch.

anybody in here talking shit on premier's cuts needs to get hit in the mouth with a bag of dookie.

Tell that to Jazzy Jeff[/b] and Cash Money etc,and see if you're not the one that gets hit with the sack of caca on your upper lip.They DIDN'T do it with the line switch.[/b]

WHO THE FUCK BROUGHT TRANSFORMING TO THE PUBLIC USING THE LINE SWITCH?

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't say shit.

The real question should be what is the easier way of doing it?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

The real question should be what it the easier way of doing it?

No, the real question is, why are you talking about a subject you apparently know little about?

EVERY DJ from Miz & Alladin to Scratch & Daddy Rich used the line switch.

If I still had my dookie from ealier today, I'd put it in a ziplock, fly to your house and smack you in the lips with it.

• I really think a lot of these comments stem from the disappointment of people who always looked up to the guy seeing how corny and bitter his attitude has become in recent years. I don't think it's about any kind of insecurity.
    cosign. i respect preemo, but faux, for once we agree. thanks.

The real question should be what is the easier way of doing it?

No, the real question is, why are you talking about a subject you apparently know little about?

My yout!!! stop misleading the youths you know there's the right way and a wrong way to do it.If not why is it that on all the instructional dj vids they show you the technique using the fader?.Huh?

I learnt to do it on an old gemini and killed the faders dead,later on started doing it on a Numark PPD on the line switch,and further down the line i had to re-learn it on the Vestax with the crossfader(i wasn't able to do as good with the fader)

Your presumptions about what "you think i know" are preposterous.

Day,at this stage of the game you're 10 times the DJ skill/scratch level wise,than premo is,and i'm not saying this to butter your ass up,i've heard your scratching i know this for a BUMBOFUCKIN'RASSCLAAT fact.

All i'm saying is the Idol worshipping has to stop sometime.

• 5) (Though his recent production has been butt. Sorry Phill, I know this offends you when I point this out but that shit is true.)

It is true that it is your opinion that his recent production is butt, Oliver. It also may be true that his style of production is not as popular as it once was, but the fact that his style is not as popular does NOT mean that his beats are all butt now. The fact is that, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you have said something to the effect that Primo hasn't done a hot beat in 5 years. This statement is utterly ridiculous to me, but again, that's just my opinion. I'm not going to get into arguing about things that are merely a matter of opinion, because debating it isn't gonna change a damn thing.

My point is not about you offending me or not offending me personally, it's about people showing respect to a dude who is, IMO, one of the legendary figures in hip hop history and, unlike many of those who dis his statements and recent music, holds onto the values that made hip hop what it is because they mean something to him beyond what is "hot" at the moment. I will say it again: this disrespectful mentality makes the hatters look bad far worse than it makes Primo look bad, and if allowed to go unchecked it makes Soulstrut lose a lot of well earned credibility in the long run. Yes, that is right- I am here to save Soulstrut from itself. This mission of mine is a mission of love.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Day,at this stage of the game you're 10 times the DJ skill/scratch level wise,than premo is,and i'm not saying this to butter your ass up,i've heard your scratching i know this for a fact.
    All i'm saying is the Idol worshipping has to stop sometime.

Damn this is getting out of hand. As a DJ Premier has inspired many Premo clones through hi sproduction and scratching. Not to take anything away from Day cause he's dope but shit this is dumb.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    5) (Though his recent production has been butt. Sorry Phill, I know this offends you when I point this out but that shit is true.)

It is true that it is your opinion that his recent production is butt, Oliver. It also may be true that his style of production is not as popular as it once was, but the fact that his style is not as popular does NOT mean that his beats are all butt now. The fact is that, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you have said something to the effect that Primo hasn't done a hot beat in 5 years. This statement is utterly ridiculous to me, but again, that's just my opinion. I'm not going to get into arguing about things that are merely a matter of opinion, because debating it isn't gonna change a damn thing.

My point is not about you offending me or not offending me personally, it's about people showing respect to a dude who is, IMO, one of the legendary figures in hip hop history and, unlike many of those who dis his statements and recent music, holds onto the values that made hip hop what it is because they mean something to him beyond what is "hot" at the moment. I will say it again: this disrespectful mentality makes the hatters look bad far worse than it makes Primo look bad, and if allowed to go unchecked it makes Soulstrut lose a lot of well earned credibility in the long run. Yes, that is right- I am here to save Soulstrut from itself. This mission of mine is a mission of love.

And yet... his recent production is butt.

If I still had my dookie from ealier today, I'd put it in a ziplock, fly to your house and smack you in the lips with it.

In your dreams buddy boy

• And yet... his recent production is butt.

[Primo] holds onto the values that made hip hop what it is because they mean something to him beyond what is "hot" at the moment.

[Primo] holds onto the values that made hip hop what it is because they mean something to him beyond what is "hot" at the moment.

That's exactly it. Thank you.

That's exactly it. Thank you.

I'm sorry, but that's just silly.

The "values" that Primo clings to = NewYorkcentricity--and not even a privileging of contemporary New York styles over those of the rest of the country, but a fixation on a sound that has long since been abandoned even by New Yorkers--which is a way of thinking about rap that is completely outmoded.

• And by the way, anytime anybody wants to know whose beats are butt or not, just look for a dude who resembles this. He will tell you whatever you need to know, and you can respect his opinion without a doubt. He knows everything about hip hop.

The "values" that Primo clings to = NewYorkcentricity--and not even a privileging of contemporary New York styles over those of the rest of the country, but a fixation on a sound that has long since been abandoned even by New Yorkers--which is a way of thinking about rap that is completely outmoded.

So it's more important to chase trends than it is to stay true to the style of music you love?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

So it's more important to chase trends than it is to stay true to the style of music you love?

Its not "chasing trends" its called listening to "tha streets"

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    And by the way, anytime anybody wants to know whose beats are butt or not, just look for a dude who resembles this. He will tell you whatever you need to know, and you can respect his opinion without a doubt. He knows everything about hip hop.

I know this is Groove Merchant in SF, but who is this?

Do you not understand innovation and evolution to be integral to hip-hop, to be values in and of themselves?

I don't see recycling the same thing in ever less interesting variations year after year as being very "true" to anything--or at least not to the hip-hop that I love.

And by the way, anytime anybody wants to know whose beats are butt or not, just look for a dude who resembles this. He will tell you whatever you need to know, and you can respect his opinion without a doubt. He knows everything about hip hop.

Hey you're not playing fair you know only Grafwritah has free reign with that.

Do you not understand innovation and evolution to be integral to hip-hop, to be values in and of themselves?

I don't see recycling the same thing in ever less interesting variations year after year as being very "true" to anything--or at least not to the hip-hop that I love.

I do understand innovation and evolution--and I also understand that Primo has played a huge part in the innovation and evolution of hip-hop production. I further understand that Primo is trying to supply a sound that has largely been squelched in modern hip-hop. Should Primo have spent the past year or two trying out his Lil Jon imitation seeing as how Jon was huge and had everybody jumping on his dick for his alleged innovation and evolution of the game? Would you really want to hear that? I sure as hell wouldn't. Let Lil Jon do Lil Jon beats; let Primo do Primo beats.

Should Primo have spent the past year or two trying out his Lil Jon imitation seeing as how Jon was huge and had everybody jumping on his dick for his alleged innovation and evolution of the game? Would you really want to hear that? I sure as hell wouldn't. Let Lil Jon do Lil Jon beats; let Primo do Primo beats.

Of course not, but just as I enjoyed hearing '92 Primo in 1992 and '98 Primo in 1998, I would like to hear '05 Primo in 2005, rather than simply being offered more reheated '98 Primo.

Here's a hard truth: most artists' creativity eventually exhausts itself and I'm not sure Primo has it in him anymore to make music that I find interesting. It's possible that the question of what he should to get me to buy his records in 2005 is just not answerable.