DJ Premier speaks on Serato

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

A good DJ has to come prepared, read a crowd, know when and how to play the right songs, and so much more.

And no disprespect to your sister, but no fucking way can she do what I do.

This is not entirely true. I've been a DJ for 16 years now and reading a crowd is not that difficult. Crowds are usually predictable anyway. Throw on a hit and they get happy, it's not rocket science. And as for the sister thing, man if she's hot skills don't even matter. I've seen bad female DJs who are hot get booked all over town just cause they're hot. Believe it, his sister may get more gigs than you.

• This is not entirely true. I've been a DJ for 16 years now and reading a crowd is not that difficult.

It's different at an actual nightclub.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    This is not entirely true. I've been a DJ for 16 years now and reading a crowd is not that difficult.

Yeah sure it is. Most people in clubs don't give a shit about mixing. Most people at clubs just want to have fun and hear their favorite songs.

• Phil,

I really think a lot of these comments stem from the disappointment of people who always looked up to the guy seeing how corny and bitter his attitude has become in recent years. I don't think it's about any kind of insecurity.

Why would he be bitter? He's always had work, he's doing the Christina whatsherface record, he's doing Nas' next record, I'm sure he can get dj gigs whenever he wants to, so on and so on. Anytime a person has a gripe with something that makes them bitter? Are the people who gripe about Primo also bitter? I'm not gonna get caught up into a big debate on this because I can see where this is all heading, but the bottom line is that IMO people should learn to be more respectful. Like being a "microwave dj", it's too easy to get on the internet and talk a lot of dumb schitt wrecklessly. Even if you disagree with his stance, just show some respect and give the man a pass. He's "earned it".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Phil,

I really think a lot of these comments stem from the disappointment of people who always looked up to the guy seeing how corny and bitter his attitude has become in recent years. I don't think it's about any kind of insecurity.

Why would he be bitter? He's always had work, he's doing the Christina whatsherface record, he's doing Nas' next record, I'm sure he can get dj gigs whenever he wants to, so on and so on. Anytime a person has a gripe with something that makes them bitter? Are the people who gripe about Primo also bitter? I'm not gonna get caught up into a big debate on this because I can see where this is all heading, but the bottom line is that IMO people should learn to be more respectful. Like being a "microwave dj", it's too easy to get on the internet and talk a lot of dumb schitt wrecklessly. Even if you disagree with his stance, just show some respect and give the man a pass. He's "earned it".

Dude, have you read/heard any of the stuff he's been saying over the past few years? There's not even a debate here--he's bitter as hell over the fact that he doesn't occupy the position of importance that he once did in the hip-hop universe. So he's supposedly doing tracks for Christina Aguillera--so what? Doesn't change the fact that nobody within hip-hop has regarded him as a leading producer in years.

• This is not entirely true. I've been a DJ for 16 years now and reading a crowd is not that difficult.

Yeah sure it is. Most people in clubs don't give a shit about mixing.

This is not true at all

Wait till the floor is on fire, and then trainwreck. I bet you the crowd will care...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Wait till the floor is on fire, and then trainwreck. I bet you the crowd will care...

I had a dude yell at me from the floor one time

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    1) I gotta agree with Faux here: As Primo gets older, he's been dropping more of this, "ya'll violating"-type admonitions on folks. I'm not mad at him for doing it: he's earned the right to be salty but that doesn't mean people, in general, have to like him for it. It's like all those old school cats who live and die by the Zulu Rules???: it's cool if you have a philosophy but when you start trying to shove that down everyone else's throats, don't be surprised when people rebel against it. In any case, I don't think Preem is actually that bitter about being displaced. Guru, I hear, suffers from depression over it however.

2) I also have to agree with BOTH Hogg and Planet. The thing is: for the average crowd (in the Bay at least): good mixing skills don't mean shit. All 90% of these MFers care about is whether you're going to drop the hot track of the moment and that's it, period. However, game recognize game, right? When I'm in the club and if you're a wack fucking DJ, I'm going to know it, Hogg is going to know it, a select group of either DJs, former DJs or people who give a fuck about DJing will know it and while your reputation amongst drunk ass herbs might be golden, they also won't remember your name. We will. Not like that's going to stop an ambitious DJ from getting your paper but the circles aren't that big either and word travels.

3) To me, what separates overnight DJs from the paid-your-dues dudes is longevity. If you come into this game by downloading "1000 Best Beats and Breaks" and starting up your Serato (and by the way, I like Serato) and that's the extent to which your DJing skills and knowledge will develop, then it's not likely you'll be around for too long. I've met a lot of newbie, aspiring DJs and with a lot of them, it was easy to tell who was doing that shit on a whim and who was really serious about it. The latter are the folks who'd still be around 5 years later. The former are the ones selling their equipment off 2-3 years later on Craigslist (and god bless them folks).

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    [no he didn't]Premo needs to learn how to tranform/scratch without using the line switch,before he starts complaining about microwave dj's[no he didn't]

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    [no he didn't]Premo needs to learn how to tranform/scratch without using the line switch,before he starts complaining about microwave dj's[no he didn't]

please, dude.

Primo will fucking scratch circles around 99% of ALL dj's IMO. He has more flavor in his scratches, line switch or not, than any crabflaretripleclicktear will ever have.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

please, dude.

Primo will fucking scratch circles around 99% of ALL dj's IMO. He has more flavor in his scratches, line switch or not, than any crabflaretripleclicktear will ever have.

I can't possible cosign this hard enough.

please, dude.

I'm not saying he cant scratch,he had a unique rhythmic style that a lot of people including myself were influenced by,but he's not using the crossfader.
    What about the studio overdub cutting he does? isn't that cheating.My point is simple he should check himself before he tries to speak on others.How do you neglect the basics and then cry about "microwave dj's" .

• dayday 9,611 Posts

please, dude.

I'm not saying he cant scratch,he had a unique rhythmic style that a lot of people including myself were influenced by,but he's not using the crossfader.

What about the studio overdub cutting he does? isn't that cheating.My point is simple he should check himself before he tries to speak on others.How do you neglect the basics and then cry about "microwave dj's" .

Multi-tracking scratches for a chorus has nothing to do with what he's talking about.

Most of the cuts on the first 4 albums have scratch choruses that were probably all done in one take with one turntable.

So i'd say he's proven himself to "cheat", if that's what you want to call it, by overdubbing cuts on some records.

And come on man, you think after over 20+ years of DJing dude never uses the fucking crossfader?

If anyone needs to check themselves it's you, cause you're playing yourself with this argument.

• Phil,

Let me start by saying this, to me Primo should get a lifetime achievement award for his contributions...not only to hip hop, but to the values of production ..as far as technique and style.

Hating on Primo is sad, even if his work as of late has been ehhh...blah. Look at his catalogue, very few can see him ? He is a lil bitter,( i too am sometimes) but aside from that i agree with you Phil.

Most serato haters are not even djs/producers they are mere fans and consumers who dont do shit but critique...fuck em

Now lets face it, serato has caught a lot of flack..heads need to recognize that SUCKER djs were around long before the internet was available..etc. Last time i played with Primo, we spoke on serato..he told me he felt like he was cheating!?? Im like ..do you think anybody is going to question you? Hell no!

He had 5 huge cases of records, and played maybe a 3rd of 1 crate! Dont be silly, adapt or get left behind

( everything he played for the most part he produced, yelled on the mic about cats not knowing this shit, and that they need to know it) whos fault is it that cats dont know what hes dropping ? not his, not mine.

thats a new topic

To me this should be about THE music, lets say Primo or myself does not have the og copy of some craaazy rare record...but we love the song. Are we not to play out it cuz we dont own the actual vinyl ? That shit is corn..forilla! Oh No !!! I cant play "record player" cuz its not the og..FUCK OUTTA HERE! Fuck people who think like this. Lets not lose sight of what this is about...the MUSIC...the love of it. Do you wanna hear it...or not ? Real recognize real...

(Shit... Evil Dee has been using cdjs forever...and i hate those..not him for using them )

Bobbito ( my homie) is a staunch hater of serato. He thinks its the downfall of everything, yet at the same time, some of his fav djs (pioneers)..as well as mine, use it ! He tried telling me he can hear the difference.

I thought that was funny considering that he will play a new neo soul / indie rap record that was recorded digitally in pro tools...( oooh that analogue sound is sooo crispy)

And come on man, you think after over 20+ years of DJing dude never uses the fucking crossfader?

If anyone needs to check themselves it's you, cause you're playing yourself with this argument.

In all the videos i've seen including the live performances,he's always using the line switch,how could i have thought that he does it any other way than that?.All i'm saying is that WE ALL have flaws,so why act like youre any different.And in conclusion i'd like to add "I heart his entire catalog"

• 1) I gotta agree with Faux here

Now why does this does not surprise me? You guys kill me, but like I said, I'm not even gonna get involved in this all-too-predictable debate. I reiterate my initial point: people on here need to show more respect for the man, whether they agree with all of his views or not, whether they like his current beats or not, whatever. Treating DJ Premier like he's some kind of joke? Disgraceful. It makes the hatters look way more follish than it makes Primo look bitter.

Jonny P, it's your turn to jump in! All in together now...

• Jonny P, it's your turn to jump in! All in together now...

I'm not even gonna get involved in this all-too-predictable debate.

• ootoot 38 Posts
    Here's what he says:

"With Rane's Serato, there's a lot of microwave DJ's out there with MP3's. But Serato is, to me, something you have to earn. I'm like "have you dug in the crates? Do you have at least 2,000 records? Did you ever have to carry all your speakers and crates to a gig?" If you have, then you can graduate to Serato. Here's your medal."

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I don't know shit about DJ'ing, Serato or anydamnthing but I've enjoyed reading this debate...seems to me using MP3's without having the vinyl is the equivilent of Milli-Vanilli/Ashley Simpson/Karaoke Lip-Synching bullshit?? But then what the hell do I know.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ...people on here need to show more respect for the man, whether they agree with all of his views or not, whether they like his current beats or not, whatever. Treating DJ Premier like he's some kind of joke? Disgraceful.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What I don't get is, if some dude came on here and was like, "Hey guys, I just started DJ'ing, and don't really have many records or time to dig, but Soulseek has been hooking me up with some great music - can any of you recommend some hot raer funk breakbeat tracks for me to download? You know, shit that gets the house burning? Thanks!"

You mothers would clown that fucker to dust, and it's the same thing Primo was talking about...so why is he "bitter" for saying it?

• The way look at it is that technology definitely helped shape Hip Hop; Rappers got more hardcore and opened the range of topics with creation of the drum machine (rather than only doing party tracks with the live backing bands/ex: TLA Rock & RunDmc, etc...). Producers evolved their skills and Hip Hop production became a "respected artform" because of the sampler. The key pioneers in Hip Hop were into technology...period. If Hip Hop started 5 years ago, there's a good chance that in Grandmaster Flash's search for the most durable, non-skipable, etc... means of playing music that me may have been creating all his techniques on a Numarx CDJ. Of course, it's debatable but it's not really that unrealistic.

All these things are the rules because people ("we") have a fixation on tradition, which isn't a bad thing. I agree with the main defense here that if you have paid your dues and you know the history of the DJ and you have been in the trenches buying records you can do what you want. I have a apartment full of records that I've been collecting since 1974. I've spent probably more money on records than most anything in my life (ha!) so I don't feel like I have to own the original of copy of any particular record just to play it on my CDJ or whatever cause I got several 1000 other records sitting there at home just as good or rare as some of those records.

Let's not forget that part of the reason why some of the pioneers weren't able to get much out of Hip Hop past their peak in the limelight (ex: see Kool Herc) is because they decided not to evolve with the times. Kool Herc was approached to make records (bascially an advance in Hip Hops technology,etc... by turning what the DJ & MC did at the party into more marketable means) but he didn't think no one wanted to hear that and didn't want to do it either did Flash, etc.. so eventually we got the Sugar Hill Gang and now we have eternity to complain about it...ha!

• ------accepting pm`s from people who wish to remove any primo affiliated records from their collections.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    1)

2) I also have to agree with BOTH Hogg and Planet. The thing is: for the average crowd (in the Bay at least): good mixing skills don't mean shit. All 90% of these MFers care about is whether you're going to drop the hot track of the moment and that's it, period. However, game recognize game, right? When I'm in the club and if you're a wack fucking DJ, I'm going to know it, Hogg is going to know it, a select group of either DJs, former DJs or people who give a fuck about DJing will know it and while your reputation amongst drunk ass herbs might be golden, they also won't remember your name. We will. Not like that's going to stop an ambitious DJ from getting your paper but the circles aren't that big either and word travels.

Yes I'm going from my experience out here in the Bay. The average person at the club doesn't give a shit if you got ultra DJ skills. I mean if the music cuts out of course you'll get booed. I've seen Apollo get booed cause hi ssound cut out. But shit that goes for anyone. And yes as a DJ listening to another DJ in a club you notice all kinds of shit. Only cause you've experienced what DJIng is like so you're automatically tuned into what the DJ is doing. No DJ is perfect. I've seen well known and respected DJ's have an off mix from time to time, that's to be expected. I've even heard some of you DJs here on the strut have an off mix on occasion but who cares, I'm not going to be nit picky or snobby about it and now say that you're wack. That's bullshit.

As for DJ Premier. How can anyone criticize the way Premier or any DJ does their transforming, scratching or whatever. Shit, whatever works works. Over dubbing scratching doesn't take away from the fact that the DJ is still doing the scratching now does it? It's just another effect to have a collage of scratches for the chorus without having a team of DJ's trading cuts. It's still Premier is it not?

• It's quite funny how a lot of people up in here are jumpin' on primo's case for his comments but are quick to call "lil' dude" on people posting here who haven't "paid their soulstrut dues"...

At the end of the day the guy has had a critically acclaimed and profitable career doing what he does in the music industry, how many people here are on a par with that ???

Not many.

THOSE THAT CAN DO, THOSE THAT CAN'T BITCH ABOUT IT

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I can see where Premier is coming from, but this shit takes care of itself. Random shitty DJ buys Serato, doesn't learn how to mix, plays out, and then wonders why he sucks at mixing. Ends up selling Serato later on along with any (if they actually had any) records they had. If you see some wack DJ on Serato, you're going to think that they're ten times as wack compared to if they were playing regular records. Serato ain't gonna make a shit DJ a magical fucking superstar, but it will help a good DJ be even better.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

what?! this is some ignorant ass shit. believe it or not, there was a time when there was no crossfade curve and fools had to use the line switch.

anybody in here talking shit on premier's cuts needs to get hit in the mouth with a bag of dookie.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Summaries:

1) Primo is the man.

2) Though he does sound bitter. Saying such is not refuting Point #1.

3) Using a line switch to transform is no big fucking deal, especially since today's crossfaders are basically like line switches: on and off with no gradation change.

4) Primo is the man. Just to note again.

5) (Though his recent production has been butt. Sorry Phill, I know this offends you when I point this out but that shit is true. Look: James Brown stopped making hot records. Why can't we acknowledge that Primo did too?)

what?! this is some ignorant ass shit. believe it or not, there was a time when there was no crossfade curve and fools had to use the line switch.

anybody in here talking shit on premier's cuts needs to get hit in the mouth with a bag of dookie.

Tell that to Jazzy Jeff and Cash Money etc,and see if you're not the one that gets hit with the sack of caca on your upper lip.They DIDN'T do it with the line switch.

I'm not saying he's fake but he's mos def not as good as people think he is.Believe it or not he bleeds when you "cut" him