LITTLE DUDE IDEA: BEATMAKING for New Orleans? $$?

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    After much trial and tribulation, the one and only asprin[/b] has done it again. But enough of my prattle, I'll let the artwork speak for itself:

soooooooo
    d pe

DOPE COVER!!!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    A repeat for page 7:

Dear Fellow Strutters,

This entire project is totally contingent upon "cyber-grassroots" organizing and the donation of time, effort, services, and talents of some of the most fucking amazing people that I have yet to meet in person. I want to thank all of you that have contributed to and supported the "Break In The Road" project.

As a general reminder, 100% of the proceeds of this album will be donated to Habitat For Humanity. New Orleans and many other cities in the Southern United States are still rebuilding after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina. The proceeds from this album will aid in that rebuilding process.

As promised, I will cover the costs of the first run, and in all likelihood, a buzz will be created by the dope songs, amazing artwork, good cause, and sick promo mix (CosmoBaker)[/b]. As soon as the album is actually at the production site, I will begin taking pre-orders. This should help me recoup production costs. I think that if done right, there'll be at least a net of $5000, perhaps more.

I do, however, want to appeal to any fellow strutters that may be able to use their network ties to raise money for the production of the first run. I estimate it to be in the neighborhood of $1000. In the upcoming weeks, I plan on spending much time raising funds from local businesses. I will also be concentrating efforts in promoting the album at local record stores and radio stations. Additionally, I am also looking for a business that might be willing to match our money. If there are any Strutters that feel that they might be useful in the areas of fundraising and/or promotion contacts, please PM or e-mail me (gnattychad@hotmail.com).[/b]

I am proud to belong to the SoulStrut Community and look forward to hearing from you.

~gNAT

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    The specs for the album are pretty much as follows:

1. What Went Wrong? 4:28 2ply

2. When the Levee Breaks 3:06 Meep
    [email]tom@19bit.com[/email]

3. Faraway Places 2:52 Mallard

4. Straight Outta the MPC 3:36 ThesOne
    www.tresrecords.com

5. Loop Rehearsal 2:34 ASPRIN
    www.vanguardsquad.com

6. MickeyDs 3:44 Grafwritah
    www.grafwritah.com

7. Troubled Times 6:09 Kidgusto featuring Meg Kelly
    www.funkdc.com

8.Being Born 3:31 Peter Gunn
    www.axischemicals.com

9. ???Music??? Remix 4:01 Ross Hogg
    www.italselection.com

10. Smokey Johnson/Lil Troy ???Nola to Houston remix??? 1:45 DJ B-Cause
    www.4onefunk.com

11. Too Late For F.E.M.A 2:53 recordbinladen
    [email]recordbinladen@hotmail.com[/email]

12. No Turning Back 3:40 Upskiboo

13. Watching The World End 3:56 GPEK
    www.geocities.com/gurpcityproductions

14. partoo 3:57 sars
    www.myspace.com/someawesomeradicalsound

15. Coach Remix 3:40 BAPTMAN
    www.myspace.com/baptman

16. NBA Jam (A Love Song) 2:58 skinny friedman
    [email]djskinnyf@yahoo.com[/email]

17. under my skin 2:07 day

18. End of Time (Cop Out Mix) 4:21 The Beat Chemist
    www.beatchemist.com

19. Abandoned 3:32 GLOOM
    [email]gloomycrates@gmail.com[/email]

Executive Producer:
    DJ gNAT a.k.a. Nat Chadwick
    [email]gnattychad@hotmail.com[/email]

Artwork/Graphic Design:
    asprin

Webpage Design:
    DK Essence
    www.themightyfew.com

www.breakintheroad.org

Break in the Road
    A Benefit Album for the Victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita[/b]

The Cover:

SO FUCKING HOT.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    how about some benefit/release parties across this great country/world of ours?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    (oh and the design is off the wall...good fucking work)

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    how about some benefit/release parties across this great country/world of ours?

hells yeah...I just need to get the final final with the art, get the master to the production company and it's on...

gNAT

• Damn T***a! You make art design seem so easy. Beautiful work man and big ups to everyone who contributed to this project. Lets wrap this up, can't wait to hear this bad boy.

cheers.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Damn T***a! You make art design seem so easy...

T****a

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

T****a

No, he had it right the first time.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

T****a

No, he had it right the first time.

Oops my bad.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    The following is an almost completed press release, please feel free to comment and offer suggestions. Quotations are fictional and humorous and will be replaced by actual quotations. I never actually got anyone's permission to put them in the release, so get at me if that ruffles your feathers.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Nat Chadwick
    $$$$ S$#$# Cl$%# Street
    Richmond, CA
    Phone: 510-###-####
    www.breakintheroad.org

???Soul Strutters??? Produce Benefit Album for Katrina and Rita Victims

???Break In The Road??? Slated for release February 14th

Richmond, CA (January 30, 2006) ??? ???Cyber Roots??? organizing on soulstrut.com has produced BREAK IN THE ROAD, a benefit album in support of the victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The album features an international crew of independent deejays, musicians, and beat makers including People Under The Stair???s master producer, Thes One. All proceeds from the album will be donated to Habitat For Humanity???s ???Operation Home Delivery,??? a three-phase response to help provide assistance and rebuilding opportunities in New Orleans and elsewhere along the Gulf Coast.

BREAK IN THE ROAD was made possible by individuals from as far away as France, New York, Denmark, Washington D.C., Canada, Virginia, and Germany, to name just a few of the contributors countries of origin. This diverse and widespread cast of artists managed to assemble themselves over an internet discussion forum known as ???Soulstrut??? (www.soulstrut.com), dedicated to ???crate digging and hip-hop culture???.

???Amazingly enough, I never actually met any of the album???s contributors???, said the album???s executive producer/coordinator DJ gNAT, a.k.a. Nat Chadwick. ???I managed to do all of the album???s organizing via e-mail, private messages, and instant messaging. It was a truly an amazing experience to see perfect strangers from other countries rally behind folks affected by the hurricanes.??? One-hundred percent of BREAK IN THE ROAD???s music and artwork were donated.

The music of "Break In The Road" is as eclectic as it contributors, ranging in genres from hop-hop to electronic music. ???When it comes down to it, there???s no way to characterize this album in terms of where to put it on the shelf. It defies definition,??? commented album contributor San Francisco DJ Ross Hogg, ???It???s just plain FI-YAH. Real heads know the deal.???
    ###

I still need to describe some of the actual tracks and then conclude...hollar.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Looks preety good n*t. I was cracking up at the Ross Hogg quote until I read it was made up. Nice. I think it's pretty much there!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    you think I should leave it there? (with Ross' permission of course).

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Well, it might be too much of an inside joke...especially since the rest of the release is really formal. Better to get a quote...maybe something from Raj would be really apropriate.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Paging Raj or someone who can masterfully re-articulate what I already wrote...this is your chance to be famous!
    ~N

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    seriously, i need quotes for the release.
    The following is an almost completed press release, please feel free to comment and offer suggestions. Quotations are fictional and humorous and will be replaced by actual quotations. I never actually got anyone's permission to put them in the release, so get at me if that ruffles your feathers.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Nat Chadwick
    $$$$ S$#$# Cl$%# Street
    Richmond, CA
    Phone: 510-###-####
    www.breakintheroad.org

???Soul Strutters??? Produce Benefit Album for Katrina and Rita Victims

???Break In The Road??? Slated for release February 14th

Richmond, CA (January 30, 2006) ??? ???Cyber Roots??? organizing on soulstrut.com has produced BREAK IN THE ROAD, a benefit album in support of the victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The album features an international crew of independent deejays, musicians, and beat makers including People Under The Stair???s master producer, Thes One. All proceeds from the album will be donated to Habitat For Humanity???s ???Operation Home Delivery,??? a three-phase response to help provide assistance and rebuilding opportunities in New Orleans and elsewhere along the Gulf Coast.

BREAK IN THE ROAD was made possible by individuals from as far away as France, New York, Denmark, Washington D.C., Canada, Virginia, and Germany, to name just a few of the contributors countries of origin. This diverse and widespread cast of artists managed to assemble themselves over an internet discussion forum known as ???Soulstrut??? (www.soulstrut.com), dedicated to ???crate digging and hip-hop culture???.

???Amazingly enough, I never actually met any of the album???s contributors???, said the album???s executive producer/coordinator DJ gNAT, a.k.a. Nat Chadwick. ???I managed to do all of the album???s organizing via e-mail, private messages, and instant messaging. It was a truly an amazing experience to see perfect strangers from other countries rally behind folks affected by the hurricanes.??? One-hundred percent of BREAK IN THE ROAD???s music and artwork were donated.

The music of "Break In The Road" is as eclectic as it contributors, ranging in genres from hop-hop to electronic music. ???When it comes down to it, there???s no way to characterize this album in terms of where to put it on the shelf. It defies definition,??? commented album contributor San Francisco DJ Ross Hogg, ???It???s just plain FI-YAH. Real heads know the deal.???
    ###

I still need to describe some of the actual tracks and then conclude...hollar.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    to name just a few of the contributors' countries of origin.

needs that apostrophe right there.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    PM me so I can get you this...your editting advice would be helpful.

ps thanks for the apostrophe.

• i guess, we got a new website.

• girgir 329 Posts
    to name just a few of the contributors' countries of origin.

needs that apostrophe right there.

(if it's not too nitpicky) maybe even change counteries to locations or some other appropraite word since you list states, cities, and counteries.

once afuckinggain gnat, thank you so much for all of the work you have put into this.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Fellow Strutters!

Holy Moly. It finally happened. The CD is on a plane to the production house and I am taking pre-orders!!!

It has felt like a marathon getting to this point, but we made it. And I want to whole-heartedly thank every producer, DJ, musician, web-designer, graphic-designer, and person I sought advice from during the course of this project.

In order to pre-order, visit the newly re-designed webpage(props to DK_Essence):
    www.breakintheroad.org and go to the BUY IT! tab.

I have also added a new sample track, 2Ply's "What Went Wrong" so be sure and check that out too!

The pre-order response will let me know exactly how many to order. The difference between ordering 400 (cost:$900) and 1000 (cost:$1300) CDs is $400, which when it comes down to it, isn't that much. So, the better we do on pre-orders will allow me to order more, and with a little help, sell more, and therefore donate more!

I anticipate receiving the CDs in hand within two weeks. I will therefore send them out that week, making the actual received date (not release date) to February 21st.

PEACE!
    ~gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    PreOrder Bump

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Yo...check the announcements page for more info, but we are now accepting pre-orders for "Break In The Road". Hollar!
    ~Nat

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    For those of you that would like a second option of pre-ordering BREAK IN THE ROAD, please visit my e-bay store with exactly one item for sale.

http://stores.ebay.com/breakintheroad

and you know exactly what that item is.
    Thank you for your support.

~Nat

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Thank you for your support.

Thank YOU for doing this. This is great that this can happen.

hop-hop

It's bigger than HipHop

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Monday BUMPS...

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I got mine today Nat, thanks. I'll play it on the air. Good work gang!!!!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    The deal is this: CDs are in production. There was an issue but my ever faithful counsel asprin had a good ear and better advice to resolve the situation.

Over 30 promo copies have been sent out to places like Australia & London & Canada & mad places in the U.S. including Wyoming (don't fuck with Wyoming) ...you get it. Word is getting out. Joe Quixx @ Amoeba Berkeley is supporting the album after a preview and will be buying copies for sale there. Some good folks have already posted articles in blogs:

www.funktheworld.net

http://vinylathletes.blogspot.com

I also want to thank DJ Cire for hooking up the myspace, cuz I just ain't had time...so please, be our friend!

www.myspace.com/breakintheroad

One last deal. In addition to being able to purchase BITR through the website www.breakintheroad.org, y'all can buy it online @ eBAY:

http://stores.ebay.com/breakintheroad

This is still a pre-order, but soon to be not. Peace.

gNAT

• First off, pre-bump - I hope all the strut members and their families in Texas are ok.  I can't remember exactly who's out there - sergedun I think?  Definitely a few more.  The sheer amount of devastation is mind boggling and I hope everyone is safe.

Heavy bump on this thread.  The current situation in Texas reminded me of this comp.  I was really proud to be a part of it felt especially lucky to be alongside some really amazing musicians on a release.

I'm pretty sure I lost my copy of this CD and I would really love to see if gNAT had any leftover copies...

Anyone have his contacts?  EDIT - nevermind I think he's using the same email...

- Kyle