LITTLE DUDE IDEA: BEATMAKING for New Orleans? $$?

Comments

• Eagerly waiting the promo mix AI!!! Outta be dope!!

Where we at AI?

Bobbydee...howz that motherfuckin photographer?

Hit me up fools.

Nat

same shit...what's up?

damnit... what kind of photographer is that? it takes less a minute to take a shot of that cover artwork and you can even do it with a canon ixus. in that time you could even have SCANNED it bit by bit and set it together again in photoshop....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Promo mix coming, hold your half/horses/half/men folls.

FAT GEORGE CLOONEY

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Promo mix coming, hold your half/horses/half/men folls.

FAT GEORGE CLOONEY

you're cool AI, I gave you the tracks less than a week ago. the art is the component that we are all concerned about.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    From Washington Post 12/6/05

Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., fourth from left, and Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., second from left, walk up the breached levee as they tour the Lower Ninth Ward that was devastated by Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2005. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

From NY Times 12/11/05

Death of an American City

December 11, 2005, Sunday
    (NYT); Editorial Desk
    Late Edition - Final, Section 4, Page 11, Column 1, 957 words

"We are about to lose New Orleans. Whether it is a conscious plan to let the city rot until no one is willing to move back or honest paralysis over difficult questions, the moment is upon us when a major American city will die..."

FROM CBS 60 Minutes 11/20/05

New Orleans Is Sinking

NEW ORLEANS, Nov. 20, 2005(CBS)

Before Katrina, ???There would be noise and activity and families and people, and children, and, you know, I haven???t seen a child in a month here,??? says Greg Meffert, a city official who, with his colleague Mike Centineo, is trying to figure out how much of the city will have to be demolished.

Meffert, who is in charge of city planning, says it is ???very possible??? up to 50,000 houses will have to be bulldozed. Right now, most of the homes in the city are uninhabitable.[/b]

When you walk through these neighborhoods and you see the houses, you get a sense of the pain of the individual families. But you don???t get a sense of what has happened to the city of New Orleans itself.

It is estimated that there were 200,000 homes in New Orleans, and 120,000 of them were damaged by the flood.[/b]

Meffert says that before the storm, New Orleans had a population of 470,000-480,000 people. Realistically, he thinks that half of those residents won???t be coming back.

The possessions of thousands of families, the stuff collected over lifetimes is suddenly garbage, clawed up into mountains in city parks. With so much gone already, should New Orleans pick up right where it was?

???We should be thinking about a gradual pullout of New Orleans, and starting to rebuild people???s homes, businesses and industry in places that can last more than 80 years,??? says Tim Kusky, a professor of earth sciences at St. Louis University.[/b]

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Why I'd like to ACTUALLY produce said album...

gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Many folks have been inquiring as to why this project is not done yet. I am sorry that my initial promise to have it done b4 Christmas will have to be broken.

I am still waiting for the art so that I may go to pressing.

I hope your holidays are well.

~gNAT

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Many folks have been inquiring as to why this project is not done yet. I am sorry that my initial promise to have it done b4 Christmas will have to be broken.

I am still waiting for the art so that I may go to pressing.

I hope your holidays are well.

~gNAT

no worries... it's pretty obvious to everyone you've been busting yr ass on this...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Everything is going to be fine, look at an after Xmas release. Thanks Nat for working so hard on this. I promise that my part will be done to the best of my ability. I am really trying to throw a unique spin (no pun intended) on the works that were submitted.

With that being said, I would like to petition my fellow strutters for some help on what will be a subtle yet key element to this mix. I am looking for acapellas, whatever they may be, of any New Orleans based rap songs.

You can PM me if you want and give me the links, or if you feel like just hitting me off with emailing them to me, I can accept large files via email at the following address:

cosmobaker AT gmail DOT com

Thanks and happy holidays.

• With that being said, I would like to petition my fellow strutters for some help on what will be a subtle yet key element to this mix. I am looking for acapellas, whatever they may be, of any New Orleans based rap songs.

Sounds like a dope idea! Wish I had some acapellas to hit you with though...

Thanks and happy holidays.

Same goes to you and your fam.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    motherfucking bump...hollar at your boy bobbydee

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I don't want to speak ill of Bobbydee, but I'm sure he's seen this by now. It's fairly clear that he is not able to complete the project in a timely manner. Perhaps one of the board's many artists or graphic designers could whip something up to get us out of this pinch? (I'm not trying to put anyone on the spot, but there are mad talented dudes on this board that could easily come up with a hot cover in an hour or two.)

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I've given bobby until Friday of next week to finish it, @ which point DK_Essence will take over the job.

I too am reluctant to speak ill of anyone that is willing to donate their talents and time, but I agree that the delays have gone on WAY too long. I should have put my foot down sooner. It's difficult reprimanding people you aren't paying though. Frustrating, I know...hopefully that will get stuff going.

gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    4 days bobby

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    3 days including today.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    2 days

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Last Day...
    ~Nat

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Bobby, I thank you for your efforts but I have to go with someone who thinks "expedite" means "facilitate matters in a quick and timely manner"; and isn't just a shelf made to store your records.

DK_Essence...game on...hit me on the PM.

~gNAT

• After speakign to Gnat felt i needed to drop in here and fill you guys in on whats been going down. I've been in hospital, in relation to an issue that i don't really want to discuss/im sure arent nessesary facts anyway. Owing to hold-ups trying to get a photographer capable of producting the quality needed, and then my extended absence, obviously the project has been held up.

Gnat has been nothing but supportive and understanding, above and beyond reasonable expectations. And i REALLY wanted to be a part of this, just the wrong time and place i suppose.

So to make it clear, im regretably bowing out of the project. Any delays up to this point, are in fact on my shoulders- and not Gnat's. He is, in my oppinion, duder than dude.

Nick

• anyways, we got to get this thing ready. if you can finish the artwork till the end of this week, please do it (because i really dig the concept!). if not, no problem, i'll try to have it ready till then.

where is the info-mail, gnat, nothing dropped in my inbox yet? i need the stuff for setting up the screen prints, so hurry up.

peace,

dirk

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    After much trial and tribulation, the one and only asprin[/b] has done it again. But enough of my prattle, I'll let the artwork speak for itself:

soooooooo
    d pe

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Me, like it!!!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    After much trial and tribulation, the one and only asprin[/b] has done it again. But enough of my prattle, I'll let the artwork speak for itself:

soooooooo
    d pe

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Y'all are too nice. I'm glad I could help. Off to bed.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Hi to all,

I have decided to write a post that condenses most of the information about "Break in the Road" so that all 6 pages don't have to be waited through by people just becomeing aware of the "Break in the Road" Project.

The basic premise of the project is as follows, as taken from the www.breakintheroad.org website:

"BACKGROUND: A "Heatrock" History

The idea of "Break In The Road" was born when a group of otherwise mild-mannered musicians, DJs, and record collectors became irate at the U.S. Federal Government's bungled response to Hurricane Katrina. Horrified by FEMA's inaction, delayed response, and useless finger-pointing, music-buffs became activists overnight, raising over $80,000 through their "Let A Heatrock Loose??" campaign. A small cabal of record fiends donated their valuable records ("heatrocks") to the "Heatrock??" auction whose proceeds were donated to the American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, and the NAACP's Disaster Relief Organization.

BREAK IN THE ROAD: Rebirth Through Hip-Hop

Wanting to take things in a different direction, gNAT a.k.a. Nat Chadwick, coordinated and organized over 25 artists, musicians and beat-makers to produce "Break In The Road", an eclectic collection of hip-hop and electronic music. "Break In The Road" will raise your consciousness, uplift your spirit, and raise money for those affected by one of the greatest natural disasters to have occurred within the U.S. borders; rebirth through hip-hop.

It must be noted that gNAT has never met any of the artists in person. All coordination was done through e-mail and www.soulstrut.com's discussion forum. All artwork and music were 100% donated. Click HERE [link to this website] to see how the project unfolded on www.soulstrut.com

CONTACT

If you have any questions please contact the site administrator and album producer, dj gNAT, at his e-mail: [email]gnattychad@hotmail.com[/email]

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    The specs for the album are pretty much as follows:

1. What Went Wrong? 4:28 2ply

2. When the Levee Breaks 3:06 Meep

[email]tom@19bit.com[/email]

3. Faraway Places 2:52 Mallard

4. Straight Outta the MPC 3:36 ThesOne

www.tresrecords.com

5. Loop Rehearsal 2:34 ASPRIN

www.vanguardsquad.com

6. MickeyDs 3:44 Grafwritah

www.grafwritah.com

7. Troubled Times 6:09 Kidgusto featuring Meg Kelly

www.funkdc.com

8.Being Born 3:31 Peter Gunn

www.axischemicals.com

9. ???Music??? Remix 4:01 Ross Hogg

www.italselection.com

10. Smokey Johnson/Lil Troy ???Nola to Houston remix??? 1:45 DJ B-Cause

www.4onefunk.com

11. Too Late For F.E.M.A 2:53 recordbinladen

[email]recordbinladen@hotmail.com[/email]

12. No Turning Back 3:40 Upskiboo

13. Watching The World End 3:56 GPEK

www.geocities.com/gurpcityproductions

14. partoo 3:57 sars

www.myspace.com/someawesomeradicalsound

15. Coach Remix 3:40 BAPTMAN

www.myspace.com/baptman

16. NBA Jam (A Love Song) 2:58 skinny friedman

[email]djskinnyf@yahoo.com[/email]

17. under my skin 2:07 day

18. End of Time (Cop Out Mix) 4:21 The Beat Chemist

www.beatchemist.com

19. Abandoned 3:32 GLOOM

[email]gloomycrates@gmail.com[/email]

Executive Producer:

DJ gNAT a.k.a. Nat Chadwick

[email]gnattychad@hotmail.com[/email]

Artwork/Graphic Design:

asprin

Webpage Design:

DK Essence

www.themightyfew.com

www.breakintheroad.org

Break in the Road

A Benefit Album for the Victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita[/b]

The Cover:

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Dear Fellow Strutters,

This entire project is totally contingent upon "cyber-grassroots" organizing and the donation of time, effort, services, and talents of some of the most fucking amazing people that I have yet to meet in person. I want to thank all of you that have contributed to and supported the "Break In The Road" project.

As a general reminder, 100% of the proceeds of this album will be donated to Habitat For Humanity. New Orleans and many other cities in the Southern United States are still rebuilding after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina. The proceeds from this album will aid in that rebuilding process.

As promised, I will cover the costs of the first run, and in all likelihood, a buzz will be created by the dope songs, amazing artwork, good cause, and sick promo mix (ahem CosmoBaker)[/b]. As soon as the album is actually at the production site, I will begin taking pre-orders. This should help me recoup production costs. I think that if done right, there'll be at least a net of $5000, perhaps more.

I do, however, want to appeal to any fellow strutters that may be able to use their network ties to raise money for the production of the first run. I estimate it to be in the neighborhood of $1000. In the upcoming weeks, I plan on spending much time raising funds from local businesses. I will also be concentrating efforts in promoting the album at local record stores and radio stations. Additionally, I am also looking for a business that might be willing to match our money. If there are any Strutters that feel that they might be useful in the areas of fundraising and/or promotion contacts, please PM or e-mail me (gnattychad@hotmail.com).[/b]

I am proud to belong to the SoulStrut Community and look forward to hearing from you.

~gNAT

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    promo cd, its coming.