LITTLE DUDE IDEA: BEATMAKING for New Orleans? $$?

Comments

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    New tracks up along with some bios at www.breakintheroad.org

If you have submitted tracks and haven't already, please submit a bio like the one on the site.
    gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    10/12/05 [color:red]...UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE...[/b][/color]10/12/05

MUSIC UPDATES[/b]

[color:orange]twoply[/b] has the opening track. Hands down. Don't even fuck with me on this issue. Why? Cuz twoply's song masterfully intertwines Katrina news soundbytes with doooooooooope beats and mixing. After not actively "thinking" about the political bullshit that went down a few weeks ago, I sat back and gave this track a REAL heartfelt listen and re-realized how ridiculous and out-of-touch so many of our leaders are. It inspired me to keep on truckin on this project. No joke. We gotta help these people and stand up to our selfish, self-aggrandizing full-of-shit politicians. Dope Track.[/color]

[color:red]upskiboo[/b] is on the other side of the world. Denmark to be exact. Whether he wants Soulstrut.com street cred or wants to help our brothers and sisters in the South, I could really give a fuck because he has produced an exquisite track named "No Turning Back" and will get and do both. You should cop the album just for this shit. No BS.[/color]

[color:purple]mrpek[/b] has changed his track. "Watching The World End" is a psychadelic hip-hop Rhodes based keyboard track that will leave you trippin on Top Ramen's sick-ass flows. It effectively expresses our collective frustration with fucked-up daily life.[/color]

dj gNAT notes (ramblings?)...[/b]
    [color:red]I have posted 7 sample tracks on the website www.breakintheroad.org from GLOOM, Mallard, Grafwritah, Meep, hogginthefogg, Kid gusto, and Beat Chemist. People are checkin this shit out sooo often that I'm gonna have to "up" my internet traffic allowence from 1 GIG to 200 GIGs. I don't mind, just cop the shit...you should know that I didn't even post all of the dope tracks...ThesOne, asprin, recordbinladen and all of the other folks have serious heat to be heard...I wouldn't bullshit you. Why? If the albums sucked, I wouldn't bother puttin it out. Honestly. I have something to prove, and this compilation will prove it.[/color]

All changes appear in BOLD[/b]

UPDATE ON SUMMARY OF CONTRIBUTORS/INTEREST:

DEPARTMENTS:

-COVER/CD FACE ARTIST.
    bobbydee, My panties are in a bunch bobby, hurry up! I'll fly to Australia and bring it back home if it comes down to it. Seriously though, our man is in Australia and doing serious work on this project![/b].

-BEAT/MIX CONTRIBUTORS.
    *EXPRESSED INTEREST
    *mcdee,Gamble
    **ARE WORKING ON IT**
    **AlienIVERSON
    ***HAVE SENT ME SOME PRELIMINARY STUFF (AKA I have the MP3 and NEED the .WAV folks...)[/b],
    ***twoply,recordbinladen, day, peacefulrotation, p_gunn, konduit, coldcuts[/b]
    ****HAVE SENT ME COMPLETED STUFF
    ****hogginthefogg, GLOOM, Meep, Kidgusto, johmbolaya, jaymack, BeatChemist, gNAT, gir, ASPIRIN, noixe, ThesONE, Grafwritah, Mallard, upskiboo, mrpek[/b]

-CD PRODUCTION, SHIPPING/RECEIVING, COORDINATOR, TREASURER.
    gNAT, your boy in courderoy (sp?)

Revised proposal--10/12/05, 11:16pm RichmondCaliforniaST

gNAT

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    **ARE WORKING ON IT**
    BAPT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    10/17/05 [color:red]...UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE...[/b][/color]10/17/05

MUSIC UPDATES[/b]

[color:orange]peacefulrotation[/b]a.k.a. DJ B-Cause has put in some work on his "Smokey Johnson" NOLA Remix. A simple but powerful mix of old and new southern flava.[/color]

[color:green]p_gunn[/b]has a hip-hop psych masterpiece entitled "being born" on here that elicits spontaneous muscle relaxation and sudden desires to chill. Great track.[/color]

dj gNAT notes)...[/b]
    [color:red]*www.breakintheroad.orghas more artist pictures and bios up. If you contributed and want yours up, please send me some information like a quick bio, url linksm e-mail and a pic. Take a look at the page for a "how to".
    *Also, I need some suggestions on who the money should be dontated to. I was thinking simply "Habitat for Humanity". Additionally, I have secured contribution matching through a co-worker's company.[/color]

DEPARTMENTS:

-COVER/CD FACE ARTIST.
    bobbydee, has agreed not only to do the art, but also do the graphic design, good man.[/b]

-BEAT/MIX CONTRIBUTORS.
    *EXPRESSED INTEREST
    *mcdee,Gamble
    **ARE WORKING ON IT**
    **AlienIVERSON
    ***HAVE SENT ME SOME PRELIMINARY STUFF (AKA I have the MP3 and NEED the .WAV folks...)[/b],
    ***recordbinladen, day, konduit, coldcuts,bapt[/b]
    ****hogginthefogg, GLOOM, Meep, Kidgusto, johmbolaya, jaymack, BeatChemist, gNAT, gir, ASPIRIN, noixe, ThesONE, Grafwritah, twoply, Mallard, upskiboo, mrpek,p_gunn, peacefulrotation[/b]

gNAT

Revised proposal--10/17/05, 10:00ampm PST

gNAT

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Track sent to you Mr Gnat with a quick bio.
    Pz

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I need some advice on how to make this thing...
    (1)I can go low budget, and burn the CDs myself at the computer lab @ the school where I work, reproduce the cover and CD face via a cheap color copy company I know, and use slim-line jewel cases.
    (2) I can farm this out to a company that is willing and able to reproduce a CD with sample based material on it and reproduce the CD insert/CD face as well. Those headz that have done this b4 (espcially those in the SF BAY AREA) please offer me your wisdom.

gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    WHAT'S UP PEOPLE???
    **ESPRESSED INTEREST
    *mcdee,Gamble
    **ARE WORKING ON IT**
    **AlienIVERSON
    ***HAVE SENT ME SOME PRELIMINARY STUFF (AKA I have the MP3 and NEED the .WAV folks...),
    ***recordbinladen, day, konduit
    Sorry to put y'all on blast, but I wanna get this done, so please hit me here in this post or in a PM and let me know what's up with your track.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Nat,

I'd say #2 would be the way to go. Contact Rosshogg about it as he has just put out a CD and he's in the yay. P.ro should also know the deal.

• Gnat check your inbox

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    10/22/05 [color:red]...UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE...[/b][/color]10/22/05

MUSIC UPDATES[/b]

[color:orange]bapt[/b]has come through with une chanson super s'appelle "COACH" (a funky beat called "COACH"--that's what four years of high school french have allowed me to remember). Props to my man in France...this beat is jazzy&funky&soooo ill...[/color]

dj gNAT notes)...[/b]
    [color:red]*www.breakintheroad.orghas more artist pictures and bios up. If you contributed and want yours up, please send me some information like a quick bio, url linksm e-mail and a pic. Take a look at the page for a "how to".
    *Also, I need some suggestions on who the money should be dontated to. I was thinking simply "Habitat for Humanity". Additionally, I have secured contribution matching through a co-worker's company.[/color]

DEPARTMENTS:

-COVER/CD FACE ARTIST.
    bobbydee, has agreed not only to do the art, but also do the graphic design, good man.[/b]

-BEAT/MIX CONTRIBUTORS.
    **ARE WORKING ON IT**
    **AlienIVERSON I realize you're in first class right now sucking down comped bloody marys, but hollar @ your boy![/b]
    ***HAVE SENT ME SOME PRELIMINARY STUFF[/b],
    ***recordbinladen, day, twoply
    ****hogginthefogg, GLOOM, Meep, Kidgusto, BeatChemist, gir, ASPIRIN, noixe, ThesONE, Grafwritah, Mallard, p_gunn, upskiboo, mrpek,bapt[/b]

gNAT

Revised proposal--10/22/05, 6:00pm richmondCaST

gNAT

• damn damn damn this is really shaping up!

Can't wait to hear all the finished music!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    How many copies do you think I should get made for a first run? 100? 500? 1000?
    gNAT

PS Bobbydee and Cosmo have me nervous--I do hope they come through...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Bobbydee needs the final information about who's on and who's not...

THUS! I need:

*AlienIVERSON to get his track to me.

*recordbinladen, Grafwritah, day, & twoply to get me the .WAV

and then I can do the final track arrangement, and therefore send bobbydee the final text information for the graphic design...

I have settled on a company that will make the CDs: http://www.elsproductions.com/ which is the one that ****** uses for his mix CDs.

I have also decided on a first run of 100 unless people who know wanna tell me otherwise...

gNAT

• Whats up gnat. Big ups to you for keeping this steady boss.

Honestly, I would do at least 500 of these jawns. 100 will disapear before you know it. Also, the more volume you order in, the cheaper the cd's will be wholesale. From what I have heard so far this CD is going to be banging, so I don't think you need to worry about having units sit in the basement or nothing.

If you have problems pushing these units I'm sure we all can help out and get proper distribution for this.

juss my 2 cents though.

peas.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    If I press up 500, I might as well press up 1000 because it will honestly be about the same price: $1000.00.

I really can't handle that kinda bread right now...I'm an assistant teacher with semi-steady low pay DJ gigs: not a baller. I wanna se this project through and see how it takes...but I don't wanna be sent to the po house either...100 copies will cost me $240 with all the trimmings (full CD case, shrink wrap, bar code, color insert/back and monochrome black on silver CD). Once I get THAT going, I will have some more money to donate and sell more and therefore donate more...ya heard?
    start small...think big...

please feel free to comment because I've never done this before and I'm sure I have no idea what I am doing...

gNAT

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Gnat - get at me, I may have another source for getting your cd's printed and duplicated (its down here in SoCal tho)... Peace...

DJ Cire

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Also, let me know what your budget is so i can put in a call today

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    10/30/05 [color:red]...UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE...[/b][/color]10/30/05

MUSIC UPDATES[/b]

[color:orange]twoply[/b]is this guy:

...and don't fuck with him cause he's got mad skills and a hillbilly edge that will make you question his sanity...
    dj gNAT notes)...[/b]
    [color:orange]*www.breakintheroad.org has more artist pictures and bios up. I am working with bobbydee to get the template for the cover worked out. The only real confounding factor is that I am waiting for CosmoBaker's track...so hollar @ yo boy if you still can make it...

DEPARTMENTS:

-COVER/CD FACE ARTIST.
    bobbydee

-BEAT/MIX CONTRIBUTORS.
    **ARE WORKING ON IT**
    **AlienIVERSON I realize you're @ the RITZ right now sucking down comped Cosmopolitans , but hollar @ your boy![/b]
    ***HAVE SENT ME SOME PRELIMINARY STUFF[/b],
    ***day
    ****hogginthefogg, GLOOM, Meep, Kidgusto, BeatChemist, gir, ASPIRIN, noixe, ThesONE, Grafwritah, Mallard, p_gunn, upskiboo, mrpek, baptrecordbinladen, twoply[/b]

gNAT

Revised proposal--10/30/05, 7:00pm richmondCaST

gNAT

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Jesus fuck, this is the dopest single-man effort I've seen for the Hurricane relife. Big ups man!!! And to all those who produced tracks.

I'm really excited to to purchase this CD!!!

All I got is Mario Paint beats. Are those submittable?

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    If I press up 500, I might as well press up 1000 because it will honestly be about the same price: $1000.00.

I really can't handle that kinda bread right now...I'm an assistant teacher with semi-steady low pay DJ gigs: not a baller. I wanna se this project through and see how it takes...but I don't wanna be sent to the po house either...100 copies will cost me $240 with all the trimmings (full CD case, shrink wrap, bar code, color insert/back and monochrome black on silver CD). Once I get THAT going, I will have some more money to donate and sell more and therefore donate more...ya heard?
    start small...think big...

please feel free to comment because I've never done this before and I'm sure I have no idea what I am doing...

gNAT

I really think that 1000 CDs would be your best bet. I'm sure that by the time 200 are sold more heads are gonna hear about it and then whaddaya know, 500 are sold etc etc. Word of mouth! thats what I'm saying.

and since you dont have the dough, why don't you ask people for donations. right? any amount would help.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Jesus fuck, this is the dopest single-man effort I've seen....
    Wasn't single man at all...there are twenty tracks from twenty sick ass producers/DJs on this board...additionally, the artist formerly known as bobbydee is putting together the graphic design...I'm just the production coordinator...I do appreciate the sentiment though...I'm gonna do a small (100-200) initial run, see what happens with that, and take it from there...that should buy me some time to print up some more...
    if y'all wanna donate some production costs, hit me at [email]gnattychad@hotmail.com[/email] via paypal...might be a good way for a newbie to ride out the green wave...

gNAT

PS I have had no suggestions on where to donate the proceeds, and unless I hear otherwise I am going to donate to Habitat for Humanity...dig?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Alright, I'm officially counting AlienIVERSON out at this point. God bless him but I think he's just too busy to make the compilation. Cosmo, I gotta give bobbydee a track listing so that he can to the graphic design.

DAY: I need your .WAV and then I can go to production.

bobbydee, please post a pic of what you have been working on because being that I have seen nothing, I am nervous.

LET'S get this thing done already!
    gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    bobbydee has not completed the artwork just yet, but he wanted to give us a heads up on what things are starting to look like:

The image was taken with a simple digital camera...bobby is gonna have his friend take some SOOPER nice quality shots of the canvas once it is completed...and although it is not yet completed, I'm REALLY happy with the direction that is has taken...this piece is gonna look real nice to go along with the sick as tracks y'all have produced...

Although this has taken a while, I really want to thank everyone who has contributed to this projec. Whether it be through a donation, beats, encouragement, artwork or advice, Strutters have really come through for this project. Starting and completing this project has allowed me to get to know a lot of you pretty well (though we have enver met) and given me faith in the ability of an online community to be a REAL community that does REAL world moves. Big ups 'Strut!

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

I'm really digging this coverconcept!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    His artwork is on point and is only gonna get better...some serious work and thought was put in....lemme hear from some folks...
    gNAT

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I'm really digging this coverconcept!

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    y'all better recognize! Shiiit...(read previous posts for actual meaning...drunk now...interpret this as a self-aggrandizing bump for batches)....god bless us everyone...
    gNAT

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Jesus fuck, this is the dopest single-man effort I've seen....
    Wasn't single man at all...there are twenty tracks from twenty sick ass producers/DJs on this board...additionally, the artist formerly known as bobbydee is putting together the graphic design...I'm just the production coordinator...I do appreciate the sentiment though.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I just meant that you initiated this, and that takes a lot of balls and effort. But props to everyone who contributed. From the sound of those beats they don't sound like throw-aways, sounds like time was put into them.

I'm liking the concept art.

• Art is looking dope!!

• i likes.