Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Oh damn, you have to watch this shit.....now you tell me.

I've watched all 3 Mav games so far this year. The first when they lost to the champs at their house by a point and the last 2 where Parsons has scored 20 in both. I agree it will be hard for anyone on this team to average 20 with all their offensive weapons.

Thunder without Westbrook & Durant for two months won't finish in the Top Three. Only Cleveland improved more than the Mavs during the offseason. Let me know when you see your first Mav game this year.

I'm not predicting a CHIP or even a deep run into the playoffs but a top 3 finish in the regular season is hardly a homer disillusion for this team. I'll just get to tell you "I told you so" just like when you said a few months ago they had no chance whatsoever of signing Parsons!

• i know no one wants to talk about my potentially 0-82 sixers, but i like whats happening over here.
    that is all

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    tony the sixers are going to be hard to watch. they want to lose yet again. such a horrible situation for a fan.

• whatup j!
    actually, we are used to losing...at least now there is a plan in place and commitment to it. we get to watch Nerlens block james harden dunk attempts and KJ McDaniels make some highlight footage. not too bad...especially when yo are rooting for them to rack Ls.
    Its not tooo bad watching a building process. I got confidence in Brett Brown and the Tank 2.0 agenda!

MCW, Noel, Joel, Kj, Saric, +2 2015 1st rounders = light at the end of the tunnel

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Tell you what.....let's put our money where our mouths are.

If the Mav's don't finish the regular season with one of the 3 best records in the West I'll post a picture of me dressed as Batman
    And if they do you post a picture of yourself wearing a long blonde wig.

So Batmon, you taking Rock up on this bet?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wearing a blonde wig isnt a bid deal to me, but yeah ill do it.

Golden State, Memphis, LAC, Houston, and San Antonio....one has to fall out for Dallas to take a Top 3 slot.

Off Rating: 1st of 30
    Def rating - 28th of 30

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Anyone watching this Bullets/Pacers game?

Caught a lil bit of the 1st quarter while playing a bit of pool. Just got back to the house and about to give it it's proper attention.

Go Wiz.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Man, John Wall is nastier than a Hunt's Point hooker. Dude has crazy game, just sayin'. On another note, I said people are expecting too much from the Cavs. The Trailblazers got in that ass like 'Mountain Man' (RIP to Bill McKinney) last night.

"Where you goin', King James?"

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RAPS ARE FOR REAL. SQUAD UP WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD

Man, John Wall is nastier than a Hunt's Point hooker. Dude has crazy game, just sayin'.

He ditched his Zigtechs....that was like two years ago. He's like a changed man.

• peep the score/timeline on this too.

• The Lakers won for the first time! And I saw Kobe do something weird. There were about 2 instances where he was being defended by 2 dudes and instead of weaving around them and taking some really weird convoluted shot he threw the ball to someone else who was wide open. I believe it's called an assist.

Poor 76-ers.

I believe this is the year we see the return of All-Star Luol Deng.

Warriors lost a completely winnable game yesterday against Phoenix which put them at 5-1. Thompson won western player of the week the first week of the season, and Curry just won it for the second week.

The Warriors have a nice new offense but are turning the ball over waaaaayyy too many times, in fact leading the league right now. Once that's fixed we're going to be even better.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

Pretty happy with the Wiz, so far. Although...your damn 'Raps whooped our ass.

DJ_Enki said:

I was behind Chicago this year cause I thought they worked out the Rose kinks in the Olympics/World whatevers....but dude is still fragile. I just dont see how a team can truly gel if your not playing together.

The Spurs have been able to hold the fort down w/ this style, but Chicago doesnt have seasons of doin this shit and succeeding. Im jumping ship and retracting my support of the Bulls.

Is Sacramento the new Phoenix of the West? Rudy Gaye hatters fall back.
    OJ Mayo is coming off the bench for The Bucks.......Hey Yuichi, is he still a "decent" player?
    Old man in my local AraBodega talmbout Knicks making the Playoffs cause of Phil Jackson...eyerolls.
    Trevor Ariza..........

• league pass (or whatever it's called now) was the best $200 I ever spent. watching the home squad play on the out of town feed is one of life's great small pleasures. if only to hear them try to pronounce "valanciunas"

batmon said:
    DJ_Enki said:

I was behind Chicago this year cause I thought they worked out the Rose kinks in the Olympics/World whatevers....but dude is still fragile. I just dont see how a team can truly gel if your not playing together.

The Spurs have been able to hold the fort down w/ this style, but Chicago doesnt have seasons of doin this shit and succeeding. Im jumping ship and retracting my support of the Bulls.

Is Sacramento the new Phoenix of the West? Rudy Gaye hatters fall back.
    OJ Mayo is coming off the bench for The Bucks.......Hey Yuichi, is he still a "decent" player?
    Old man in my local AraBodega talmbout Knicks making the Playoffs cause of Phil Jackson...eyerolls.
    Trevor Ariza..........

Really haven't had time watch much. I don't remember what I said about Mayo, but he was okay with the Mavs I think...

I don't believe there were many Rudy Gaye "haters"...Demarcus Cousins is just a bruiser.

And my bit about the terrible Lakers. Byron Scott in a practice session to Kobe: "You went for what? 28 last night. Can you give me like 34 or 35?". And he's wondering why no one's playing consistent defense. Dude is completely enabling Kobe to take 28 or 35 shots a game. No one's playing defense and diving for balls, unless they're getting touches and feeling like part of a team.

Ed Davis is the lone bright spot with the squad. The rest of these fuckers are soft batch.

Look at Vintageinfants flossing! Nice.

Oh man, just checked the Lakers schedule for the next few months, and damn, there are absolutely no gimmes. They can easily go 4-30 the way things are looking.

Clips not looking too great themselves either....Have they peaked? I don't see them becoming serious contenders. Two-man game works for only so long. 30th in rebounding. 22nd in defense.

One thing that's missing from the Clippers is the loss of coach Gentry who went to the Warriors. He had the offense flowing. Now there are definite problems. In two games I watched, one against the Warriors and the recent Spurs loss Blake Griffin looked totally passive. Against the Warriors he was turned into a jump shooter, and in the 4th quarter collapse against the Spurs it didn't even look like Griffin wanted the ball. Despite that it's still early in the season and they can make a turn around, but you're right right now they do not look like title contenders.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The big problem I see in the league is that there are too many teams that have tried to make 1st option players (i.e., dudes who can take over a game at any time) out of guys who are not naturally inclined to be the 1st option. Some examples of this include Paul George (who was on a milk carton last year in the playoffs), James Harden (awful shot selection), Steph Curry (too small and relies on perimeter jumpers), Blake Griffin (too limited in offense skills), Chris Paul (too small, and not inclined to be aggressive), Kevin Love (it's great that he doesn't have to play the 1st option role in Cleveland), Kobe Bryant (was the ultimate 1st option before age and injury took over; offensively inefficient), Kevin Durant (has the tools to be a 1st option, but his disposition is too passive), etc. Some true 1st option guys out there, off the top of my head, are LeBron James, John Wall, Derek Rose (sort of, if his health holds up), Demar DeRozen, Demarcus Cousins (if he can stop being a head case), and Damian Lillard. Some 1st options in the making are Anthony Davis (need to be more aggressive), Klay Thompson (if he would put the ball on the floor more), and LaMarcus Aldridge (if he stops shooting so many jumpers and goes to the paint more to get on the free throw line). There are too many 'Robins' being force to play 'Batman' in the league right now.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    batmon said:
    DJ_Enki said:

At the risk of getting T'd up with the #racecard, Derrick Rose is just not, uh, articulate. Clearly, he's an extremely hard worker in his workouts, training and preparation but still needs some seasoning in his PR penetration. Not at all concerned about those comments. He was looking sprite in that Pistons game. Also, very excited that I got some nosebleed tickets with three homies to see the Bulls-Warriors game on Saturday, Dec. 5! Now, if Rose decides to sit out that game, stay tuned. I was actually at the game against Philly when he blew out his ACL so I need to wash myself from that juju.

Also, just an aside on sports columnists in Chicago - Derrick Rose's health has become a media narrative in a similar way as the gun violence here. Few of the columnists are paying close enough attention or interested in the nuance to actually cover the story. All of the major media columnists are middle-aged white dudes whose sports priorities could be boiled down to:

1. Bears
    2. Cubs
    5. Blackhawks
    7. Bulls
    10. White Sox

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Blazers put up some points last night.

motown67 said:
    One thing that's missing from the Clippers is the loss of coach Gentry who went to the Warriors. He had the offense flowing. Now there are definite problems. In two games I watched, one against the Warriors and the recent Spurs loss Blake Griffin looked totally passive. Against the Warriors he was turned into a jump shooter, and in the 4th quarter collapse against the Spurs it didn't even look like Griffin wanted the ball. Despite that it's still early in the season and they can make a turn around, but you're right right now they do not look like title contenders.

Its way too early to make any real assessments on these teams.
    But I've read that Griffin has worked hard on his jumper, fallin in love w/ it, isnt attacking the basket they way he used to when he didnt have a consistent jumper, and isnt in position to rebound.
    Theyll be alright but who is gonna emerge after Paul, Griffin, and the newly inserted Crawford for their bench?

As far as Robins being forced to play Batman there arent many real pure scorers out there that.

Durant is the real deal to me, but plays w/ a shoot first point guard, and has yet to develop a post game.
    Rose as good as he is....shouldnt be asked to be Allen Iverson. That shit dont work.
    Harden (work on yo' defense) left a three man situation to finally be the main scorer alongside Howard and newly added Ariza.
    As nice as LeBron is he's not the pure scorer that Kobe or Melo is, he's a do it all, and wins game that way. He's not a volume shooter.
    He won when he had a scorer in a healthy Wade and a clutch Bosh, unlike in Cleveland when he didnt have a Robin.
    DeMarcus Cousins is another talented dude w/ issues that not built to be a Batman. At this point you are what u are.
    Curry is good point guard. He's a better shooter than the same sized Tony Parker. He's fine and shouldnt be Iverson-ing the ball. There's enough talent around them to play a team game. And either he or Klay just need more Playoff exp to be consistent in crunch time.
    John Wall doesnt have the head to be a Batman either, he's gonna need vets in the locker room, and a deeper team.
    DeRozen is a good scorer, but is he really that dude to lead the Raptors when its deep Playoff time? If he's not scoring what else is he doing?

I look at the Spurs and Duncan is an old Batman, Parker and Ginolbli are old Robins, but their role players kept them afloat, w/ an emerging Lenard. There was no true Prime Batman on that team.
    I think u can win w/ out a that distinctive standout in this league, but I agree a Robin shouldnt be answering the Batsignal every night

• white_tea said:
    All of the major media columnists are middle-aged white dudes whose sports priorities could be boiled down to:

1. Bears
    2. Cubs
    5. Blackhawks
    7. Bulls
    10. White Sox

this is exactly what it's like in toronto, except it looks a little more like:

1. maple leafs
    2. maple leafs
    3. maple leafs injury report
    4. 16 year old hockey phenom in next draft
    5. maple leafs trade rumors
    6. Air Canada Centre renovations
    7. Maple leafs goalie controversy
    8. around the NHL
    9. things that rhyme with "phaneuf"
    10. raptors

And yet... Bulls-Raps tonight, beer in the fridge and I'm ready! If you're tuned into Chicago's CSN, you'll get to hear Stacey King peppering the 'cast with corny phrases such as, "Give me the hotsauce, Dougie!" (McDermott, who one of the wrinkles of a healthy Rose is that he, Doug, has kinda fallen out of the rotation) and "Too strong, too fast, and too good!" (about, ahem, Rose).

white_tea said:
    And yet... Bulls-Raps tonight, beer in the fridge and I'm ready! If you're tuned into Chicago's CSN, you'll get to hear Stacey King peppering the 'cast with corny phrases such as, "Give me the hotsauce, Dougie!" (McDermott, who one of the wrinkles of a healthy Rose is that he, Doug, has kinda fallen out of the rotation) and "Too strong, too fast, and too good!" (about, ahem, Rose).

McDermott has a future.

• i used to think the local affiliates were unabashed homers until i started watching the out of town feeds, especially chicago and boston. it's hilarious switching between feeds on an offensive foul call under review late in the 4th.

this is the first nationally televised game for my boys, against the deepest team in the east; if i can't fall into a pair of tickets by 7pm ill be glued to the set with beers on smash.