Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    OKC is back. But that Rudy Gay dunk on Iblaka was kinda ill.

Agree with you guys on the Sactown coach getting fired. Sucks for Cousins.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    motown67 said:
    According to reports I just read Coach Malone didn't have the "proper" relationship with Sac's ownership and they were looking for a way to get rid of him for a while.

So Rock....do u want Rondo at the point for Dallas?

How much better would that make the offense and defense and wins..?

Do u care about your draft picks or do you go for the gold with what you have in the next 3 year window.

• Dear Texas -

Please don't let your cops shoot Rondo. We love him.

Signed,

Grieving Celtics Fans

PS - Fuck this trade, they didn't get near enough for him, I hope he wins a title with Dirk and comes back.

• this OKC/GSW game is already the best game of the year, mid-way thru the second

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    this OKC/GSW game is already the best game of the year, mid-way thru the second

Yes, it's a great game, a real shootout. On another note, the Knicks looked better tonight WITHOUT Melo. They move the ball much better when he's off the court; however, their defense is atrocious! Ya boy Kyle Lowry did his thing last night, fa real!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_Stacks said:
    vintageinfants said:
    this OKC/GSW game is already the best game of the year, mid-way thru the second

Yes, it's a great game, a real shootout. On another note, the Knicks looked better tonight WITHOUT Melo. They move the ball much better when he's off the court; however, their defense is atrocious! Ya boy Kyle Lowry did his thing last night, fa real!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

the durantula blowing a stem at the end of the half was one of the great boner killers of the season. dude had it GOING. we were almost guaranteed to see 50.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Durant's performance before he went down was one the greatest I've seen. Too bad he went down. I'm not sure the Warriors could have contained him and won that game if not for the injury.

Damn, was hoping Rondo would come to LA...

Merry X-mas Rock!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:

Do u care about your draft picks or do you go for the gold with what you have in the next 3 year window.

We didn't give up much although I hate losing Wright who was having a solid year and we really don't have a back-up for Tyson now.

Draft picks out of the lottery (and half the time in the lottery) are a total crap shoot so those picks don't mean much.

Because I dont get to watch the East much I'm not sure what Rondo has left. We need a pass first PG and perimeter defense so if we are getting the Ronfo of 3-4 years ago it was s great move.

I don't think Cuban is done though. We need a big man and there is not much out there on the FA market. You can always drag Robert Swift out of a crack house or get Jermaine O'Neal to trade in his Mom jeans for a Mavs uni.

Then there is the issue of can Monta and Rondo exist with only one ball on the court. Gonna be interesting for sure. Don't see Raymond Felton ever getting on the court with this move. If he or Devin Harris have any trade value at all they will be gone.

Big_Stacks said:

On another note, the Knicks looked better tonight WITHOUT Melo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Knicks looked better without Melo against the Mavs a couple of weeks ago too. I've been preaching for years that Melo is a team killer. He proves it one way or another every season.

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

We didn't give up much although I hate losing Wright who was having a solid year and we really don't have a back-up for Tyson now.

Draft picks out of the lottery (and half the time in the lottery) are a total crap shoot so those picks don't mean much.

Because I dont get to watch the East much I'm not sure what Rondo has left. We need a pass first PG and perimeter defense so if we are getting the Ronfo of 3-4 years ago it was s great move.

I don't think Cuban is done though. We need a big man and there is not much out there on the FA market. You can always drag Robert Swift out of a crack house or get Jermaine O'Neal to trade in his Mom jeans for a Mavs uni.

Then there is the issue of can Monta and Rondo exist with only one ball on the court. Gonna be interesting for sure. Don't see Raymond Felton ever getting on the court with this move. If he or Devin Harris have any trade value at all they will be gone.

I heard that the offense improved when Ellis learned to be part of the offense instead of going solo. So if he's graduated from that ISO shit, having Rondo facilitate should take even more pressure off Ellis.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Big_Stacks said:

On another note, the Knicks looked better tonight WITHOUT Melo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Knicks looked better without Melo against the Mavs a couple of weeks ago too. I've been preaching for years that Melo is a team killer. He proves it one way or another every season.

Hey Rock,

Melo's 'hold the ball for 10 sec. while his teammates stand still' offense is the dumbest shit in basketball. I don't see why he is too boneheaded to see that it kills the team's offensive flow, and makes them too easy to defend. The Spurs showed how ball movement makes team offense easier in the finals against the Heat. A lot of teams need to review those tapes and take notes. I think Phil is going to bounce Melo at the end of the season if not before it ends. The Knicks are going nowhere with him as the main man. It's time to get out the detonator and blow that team up (maybe keep Hardaway, Jr. though).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Dirk has pretty much turned the team over to Ellis as far as being the "go to" guy in the clutch. This has meant Monta controls the ball and creates a shot on his own. I don't see that changing so the question is can Rondo deal with that.

From everything I've read and heard Rondo can be a pain in the ass. Doc hated him. Ray Allen didn't care for him either. The Mavs have. a solid locker room with established leadership. If Rondo can fit in and accept whatever role Carlisle puts him in this will have been a great move. But if he was a problem with vets like Allen, Garnett and Pierce on his squad he may have a hard time fitting in here.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be fun to watch how it plays out. Cuban has a pretty good track record on moves like this. Now he just needs to pull a back up Center out of his ass.

• Rockadelic said:

Rondo is better than he was 3-4 years ago. Your scorers should be psyched about this trade. Rondo doesn't give a damn about his own points.

I miss the crazy bastard already.

Stacks,

Melo won in college doing that shit and has never figured out the pro game is completely different. He either can't or just doesn't want to change his game and for that reason he will never ever win a CHIP as the centerpiece of his team.

He has made a career and a boat load of money by appealing to the fan who values stats over wins and seems pretty comfortable being that guy. Those folks who hate watching the Spurs win year after year with their "boring" style of play love Melo. I can't stand watching that much talent being selfishly wasted. I'm shocked that Phil didn't dump him the first day on the job!

When the Triangle breaks down you still need someone to create their own shot.
    Who is going to do that if Melo was gone?

The Knicks are 28 games into learning the Triangle.
    That's not an overnight system w/ dudes who are already somehwhat suspect in the first place.
    JR Smith is not going to become Ron Harper or Rick Fox ever.

And cats overhype a role player every fucking year in NYC.
    First it was Landry Fields....then Iman Shumpert...and now Tim Hardaway Jr.

batmon said:
    When the Triangle breaks down you still need someone to create their own shot.
    Who is going to do that if Melo was gone?

The Knicks are 28 games into learning the Triangle.
    That's not an overnight system w/ dudes who are already somehwhat suspect in the first place.
    JR Smith is not going to become Ron Harper or Rick Fox ever.

And cats overhype a role player every fucking year in NYC.
    First it was Landry Fields....then Iman Shumpert...and now Tim Hardaway Jr.

Hey Batmon,

Interestingly though, the offense runs much better (Triangle or otherwise) when Melo is not on the floor. As Sir Chuck pointed out last night, the Triangle requires a sufficient amount of talent for it to work properly. Surely, the Knicks lack the type of talent necessary to run the offense well. Regarding Tim Hardaway, Jr., I just think the guy has sufficient talent and fundamentals to be a solid player in the league. He seems way more coachable than J. R. Smith or Melo, which could go a long way in rebuilding the Knicks. The organization needs to take a more dispositional approach to player selection ala the Spurs or Coach K at Duke (who I can't stand as a team, but I gotta respect 'em). They pick the 'right type of guys' (i.e., coachable dudes who are fundamentally sound and aren't knuckleheads), and coach them to play well as a unit. As a coach, I would take a group of guys with some talent and A LOT of skills (e.g., Marc and Pau Gasol, Mike Conley, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kyle Lowry, Zach Randolph, etc.) over those And-1 type motherfuckers who can't make sound decisions on the court (e.g., Carmelo Anthony, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Dwight Howard, James Harden, etc.). Don't get me wrong, there are guys who are super talented and skilled (e.g., LeBron, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Kevin Durant, John Wall, Steph Curry, etc.), but those are exceptions and not the rule.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

You need a mix of all those attributes to win. Even a knucklehead is good as long as he's contained.

batmon said:
    You need a mix of all those attributes to win. Even a knucklehead is good as long as he's contained.

I agree. One talented knucklehead can thrive on a team that has solid team leadership and coaching. Two knuckleheads is almost certain death.

• batmon said:

Which is why any discussion about "rebuilding the Knicks" should just stop before it begins. Their chief knucklehead owns the team, and he won't be contained.

• Dallas 19-8 and scoring at a historic rate at the time of the deal, and trade first rounders for a guy who isn't even under team control after this year?

i cram to understand.

• vintageinfants said:
    Dallas 19-8 and scoring at a historic rate at the time of the deal, and trade first rounders for a guy who isn't even under team control after this year?

i cram to understand.

They're 0-5 against real teams.

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

I agree. One talented knucklehead can thrive on a team that has solid team leadership and coaching. Two knuckleheads is almost certain death.

Hey Rock (and Batmon),

I agree, and the Knicks sure have their share of knuckleheads. I just feel sorry for D. Fish that his first coaching gig is so fucked up. He's always been a solid, class guy, and he has charged with tending a zoo of a squad. Oh well, the nice guy is probably going to finish last in this situation.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• james johnson stuffs monroe in a pine box.

[removed][removed]

Big_Stacks said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

Hey Rock (and Batmon),

I agree, and the Knicks sure have their share of knuckleheads. I just feel sorry for D. Fish that his first coaching gig is so fucked up. He's always been a solid, class guy, and he has charged with tending a zoo of a squad. Oh well, the nice guy is probably going to finish last in this situation.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I have zero sympathy for Derek Fisher.
    He and Phil knew exactly what they were getting into.
    This season is a sacrificial lamb.

Wait holdup, you guys are talking about MELO WITH THE NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKERS??? LIKE NO WAY. WELCOME TO 2010!

5-22
    8-18

• even being in the eastern conference, the toronto raptors have played the same amount of sub-.500 squads as the LA clippers. strange how that works.

anyways, my homey's bout to go bulls-clippers-nuggets-blazers-warriors-suns all on the road.... gonna be watching through my fingers for a fortnight.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Dallas 19-8 and scoring at a historic rate at the time of the deal, and trade first rounders for a guy who isn't even under team control after this year?

i cram to understand.

how many elite PG in the west its mind boggling
    now dallas has one with a ring