'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I suppose gelling with players is important. It has been said that a lot of players have played above the level of those around them their whole life. Now that they are millionaires they may be reluctant to have someone tell them what to do. Unless they respect that person and have a rapport with them.

A few pages back I asked about what do coaches do during the game. I watched the Blazers a fair amount this year and they won a lot of close games. Pulling ahead right at the buzzer often. Often coach Stotts was credited for those wins with his closing minutes coaching.

In the series where the Spurs destroyed the Blazers Popavich got a lot of the credit. What are those guys doing during the game that seals the win?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:
    I like Steve Kerr and Im sure he'll be no different from these regular ass coaches like Scott Brooks or Vinny Del Negro or Scott Skiles,

But U are now starting a whole new system for a team that was trying to get deeper in the Playoffs.
    Im skeptical that this will get immediate Win results in the Western Conference.

Who has proven to be a good coach in the NBA other than Popovich?.

If u mean coaches who did have to be "assistants" for 10 years before getting a job?

Doc Rivers.

Whats the difference in be an assistant to being a point guard for 10 seasons like Scott Skiles or Soctt Brooks?

Doc didn't coach so well this series.

I think there are advantages of having former NBA players coach, but that if you offer a job to a guy with no coaching experience it doesn't say much for the value you place on the real coaching aspects of the job. It seems more like they are going after coaches who are going to gel with the players and maybe bring in some fans off of name recognition. Being a point guard is not the same thing as coaching a team. I played pg my whole life and know very little about x's and o's, other than the plays I was taught. Russell Westbrook is a pg, would you want him to coach a team?

Doc won in Boston.

keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:
    keithvanhorn said:
    batmon said:
    I like Steve Kerr and Im sure he'll be no different from these regular ass coaches like Scott Brooks or Vinny Del Negro or Scott Skiles,

But U are now starting a whole new system for a team that was trying to get deeper in the Playoffs.
    Im skeptical that this will get immediate Win results in the Western Conference.

Who has proven to be a good coach in the NBA other than Popovich?.

If u mean coaches who did have to be "assistants" for 10 years before getting a job?

Doc Rivers.

Whats the difference in be an assistant to being a point guard for 10 seasons like Scott Skiles or Soctt Brooks?

Doc didn't coach so well this series.

I think there are advantages of having former NBA players coach, but that if you offer a job to a guy with no coaching experience it doesn't say much for the value you place on the real coaching aspects of the job. It seems more like they are going after coaches who are going to gel with the players and maybe bring in some fans off of name recognition. Being a point guard is not the same thing as coaching a team. I played pg my whole life and know very little about x's and o's, other than the plays I was taught. Russell Westbrook is a pg, would you want him to coach a team?

If YOU think Westbrook is a POINT guard then thats on you.
    Iverson was the LEAD guard but Eric Snow was the distributor.

Utah is looking into getting John Stockton to coach.

Magic was a sub-par coach when he took over the helm in LA and was better when he returned as a Point-Forward.

Being a trusted leader on the court is very close to being the coach. I'd rather trust CP3 than Vinny Del Negro.

Not every point guard is the team's leader. But many PGs run the team.

Jason Kidd put in plenty of proven years to be given a pretty well loaded team to figure shit out on the fly.
    Mike Woodson didnt make the Playoffs after making the Playoffs last year and he was a player.

There is no formula, but dudes who have the right horses have a better chance to win the race.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    yuichi said:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and take,

Spurs
    Thunder
    Pacers
    Heat

Indy/Miami.

Miami totally was lacking poise throughout the game. I totally criticized David West a few years back, because his game consisted largely of an inconsistent mid-range, and awkward back-to-the-basket game. Dude has really developed his inside game nicely. I mean he was taking both Lebron and Chris Bosh in the paint all game. Bumping them, getting within several feet of the rim, and lightly dropping it off with the left hand.

Indy also made 19 more free throws. This has got to be addressed by Miami. They came out real softbatch. Relying way too heavily on jumpers too. Credit Indy's tight D, which makes Miami take longer shots though. That Indy starting five has got to be one of the bigger and physical lineups I've see in a long time too. That shit should be a matchup problem all series if Indy stays physical.

Chalmers has got to step it up big time. and Miami's team defense has GOT to improve after this game and I think it will.

Indy couldn't have played a better game today. I think Miami will win the next game, and win the series.

OKC/SAS

Ibaka's hurt. So that should soften the interior a bit of OKC. Perkins/Adams/Collison has to protect the paint, otherwise the series is over quick. Ibaka also gave them a reliable mid-range game, boards, and most importantly an edginess. We all know what Durant/Westbrook/Reggie Jackson is going to do. They will labor to get quality shots, while SAS passes it around and goes for an easy two or Danny Green three.

So much goes through Tony Parker (the best PG in the league), that I don't know if he'll have enough to out-play that OKC backcourt.

As someone else said, this is a really tough series to call. It's gonna go the distance I think.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Quick summary of what Marv Albert told Steve Kerr when asked about whether he should go coach there. Albert said don't do it. Said Knicks owner was the worst in the NBA. Said everyone hates it in NY. The players hate it, the media people hate it, the coaches hate it. Said owner was in everyone's business.

motown67 said:
    Quick summary of what Marv Albert told Steve Kerr when asked about whether he should go coach there. Albert said don't do it. Said Knicks owner was the worst in the NBA. Said everyone hates it in NY. The players hate it, the media people hate it, the coaches hate it. Said owner was in everyone's business.

Lenny Wilkins, Don Nelson, Larry Brown, Isaiah Thomas, Mike Woodson, Mike DAntoni,.....its been a cursed gig since Pat Riley quit.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    R.C Buford is the most underrated GM in sports. Salary cap genius.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    pacers win at home again tonight. see ya at banker's life.

How much better does a Love a rebounding stretch 4 who has no Low Post game, make Golden State better?

If Bogut isnt healthy or plays half the 82 games like he usually does, who plays down low for San Francisco?

Harrison Barnes, Draft Pick & David Lee for Love....would you do it or is Love not the piece you need to go further.

And I wanna know how Love "he's one of the best PF in the game" not make the Playoffs?

I think he's way overrated, but could be a player to put a specific roster over the top.

b/w

I predict the way young cats have been rockin' 80's/90's colorways......Vintage & Current Charlotte Hornets gear will re-emerge.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    paren said:
    pacers win at home again tonight. see ya at banker's life.

Don't count your shots before they drop.

Latest is that love not coming to Warriors. They don't like the trade offers we have. We don't have a trade pick this year and Lee's salary is too much.

Think the general consensus is that Love is a better rebounder and obviously a better shooter than Lee is.

motown67 said:
    Latest is that love not coming to Warriors. They don't like the trade offers we have. We don't have a trade pick this year and Lee's salary is too much.

Think the general consensus is that Love is a better rebounder and obviously a better shooter than Lee is.

Lee is the better one-on-one defender.

I'd like to see yall get an inside threat like a Nene or Gortat along w/ a jumper-heavy team......but whateves.

A jumpshooting PF along w/ two perimeter players is like OKC....Ibaka steez.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:

Lee is the better one-on-one defender.

In that a D- is better than an F.

jesus. this is the playoffs.

Warriors? Clippers? Blazers? please guys. Live by the jumper, you die by the jumper. Sorry bros.

No coach saves teams. Smart and talented players do.

this is a joke

Danny Green heating up.

SAS/Miami, let's see it.

I think I'm not alone, as Motown I believe also suggested that OKC's athleticism will give SAS problems. I think I've forgetten also that this is not the triple threat (guns blazing) OKC team that had Harden....THAT team gave 'em problems.

Unathletic Memphis beat the Spurs in the first round the year of a full 82 game season, before OKC did.

batmon said:
    Unathletic Memphis beat the Spurs in the first round the year of a full 82 game season, before OKC did.

Yea, but Memphis has been eliminated.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:

As well as Harden.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

As well as Harden.

eh, i'll save the personal attacks for another day. got a cold.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cuban would post in here but he's scared...as are all of us.

Wait. What?

While we're on the topic of playoffs, I know more than a few of you we're hyper critical of Lebron back when he was a Cav.

Two more years of this, and he's in the top 5 greatest ever.

HarveyCanal said:

Wait. What?

I don't know what that interview did for Cuban. Probably wanted to prove a point that he's the only owner that is not scared of voicing his opinion in such a public fashion.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    yuichi said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Wait. What?

I don't know what that interview did for Cuban. Probably wanted to prove a point that he's the only owner that is not scared of voicing his opinion in such a public fashion.

He's not scared to tell everyone that he's a racist because he's scared.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Lance blew him a kiss. Does this make him the second player to come out in the NBA?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Is Shane Battier the best career NBA player to come from Duke? Maybe I'm forgetting some awesome dude from Duke that went on to have a great NBA career but it seems like Battier is the dude...over Boozer, Danny Ferry and any others that I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: JFC...Grant Hill...how could I forget. My bad...and thank you, Motown.

Grant Hill still better even with injuries

Hill was a star pre-injury and then able to turn himself into an effective role player afterward. Battier has only been a good role player his whole career.

Career stats
    Hill 1026 games 33.9 mpg .483 FG% 6.0 rpg 4.1 apg 1.2 spg 16.7 ppg
    Battier 977 games 30.7 mpg .437 FG% 4.2 rpg 1.8 apt 1.0 spg 8.6 ppg

Hill Rookie of the Year NBA 1st team 97 NBA 2nd team 96 98 99 00 7 time all star 96 gold medal

Hands down Hill had a better career than Battier's