'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Hill was a star pre-injury and then able to turn himself into an effective role player afterward. Battier has only been a good role player his whole career.

Career stats
    Hill 1026 games 33.9 mpg .483 FG% 6.0 rpg 4.1 apg 1.2 spg 16.7 ppg
    Battier 977 games 30.7 mpg .437 FG% 4.2 rpg 1.8 apt 1.0 spg 8.6 ppg

Hill Rookie of the Year NBA 1st team 97 NBA 2nd team 96 98 99 00 7 time all star 96 gold medal

Hands down Hill had a better career than Battier's

You are totally right. I fuckin knew I was leaving out a great one. It was just a question that popped into my head when I was watching the game last night and saw Battier get a turn over on a pure hustle play. How the fuck did I forget Grant Hill....my bad.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Is Shane Battier the best career NBA player to come from Duke?

I'll take Mike Dunleavy Jr. over Battier, and Kyrie Irving will surpass Shane down the line.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    batmon said:
    JectWon said:
    Is Shane Battier the best career NBA player to come from Duke?

I'll take Mike Dunleavy Jr. over Battier, and Kyrie Irving will surpass Shane down the line.

Agreed.

I think Bobby Hurley could've been awesome, if it wasn't for his accident.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Dunleavy is completely inconsistent with a pissy attitude on top when things don't go his way. I would take Battier over him any time. Agree that Irving is way better.

motown67 said:
    Dunleavy is completely inconsistent with a pissy attitude on top when things don't go his way. I would take Battier over him any time. Agree that Irving is way better.

Duns is too slow and had bad foot speed on a team that wants to play elite defense.
    BUT....dude is an excellent passer and can run the offense from the wing, and had one very good season when he was that dude w/ the Pacers, alongside Danny Granger. His shot was money and dude could put it on the floor.
    Even in Chicago, this past year, he had the steadiest jumper on the team.

Defense and intangibles - Battier
    Offense and intangibles - Dunleavy

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Jason Williams was the best player to ever play for Duke; and he would have been the best Duke player ever in the league.

yuichi said:
    Jason Williams was the best player to ever play for Duke; and he would have been the best Duke player ever in the league.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Beat me to it.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Beat me to it.

Two time NCAA champ and Naismith winner...If were talmbout College.

Jay Will was an absolute beast though. Did it all. Can't comment on Christian Laetner.

Williams would have made the better pro too.....dude was illl...i mean, reallly ill.

Edit: I guess we are comparing apples and oranges. C/PF = Latener SG = Grant Hill PG = Jason Williams

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not to disrespect Jay Williams, but Johnny Dawkins as well.

yuichi said:
    Jay Will was an absolute beast though. Did it all. Can't comment on Christian Laetner.

Williams would have made the better pro too.....dude was illl...i mean, reallly ill.

Edit: I guess we are comparing apples and oranges. C/PF = Latener SG = Grant Hill PG = Jason Williams

two chips vs one

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

two chips vs one

As always your simple logic is agitating. They play different positions. skill sets are different.

Chips mean something, but in all honesty, did you see Jay Williams/Mike Dunleavy title squad actually play much? They were ill. Very ill. Like 3rd world amazonian forest ill.

batmon said:
    motown67 said:

Duns is too slow and had bad foot speed on a team that wants to play elite defense.
    BUT....dude is an excellent passer and can run the offense from the wing, and had one very good season when he was that dude w/ the Pacers, alongside Danny Granger. His shot was money and dude could put it on the floor.

You didn't see him when he was with Golden State.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

two chips vs one

As always your simple logic is agitating. They play different positions. skill sets are different.

Chips mean something, but in all honesty, did you see Jay Williams/Mike Dunleavy title squad actually play much? They were ill. Very ill. Like 3rd world amazonian forest ill.

The question was best player at Duke who had a the best NBA career. Not best player according to postition.

Why are you altering the question for you favorite bike accident?

Grant Hill played Small Forward.

Chips mean something when talking about Chris Paul, but in all honesty dont mean shit...right?

motown67 said:
    batmon said:
    motown67 said:

Did u watch Battier in Memphis? Or only noticed him in Houston paired with Ming and McGrady?

motown67 said:
    batmon said:
    motown67 said:

U base your view on his rookie seasons in GSW but didnt see him w Indiana, Milwaukee, and Chicago?

I watched Battier throughout Duke Memphis, etc.

And yes I even saw Dunleavy after leaving the Warriors. Although not as much when he was with Milwaukee.

And Dunleavy was with the Warriors for 4 1/2 seasons so he wasn't just a rookie by the time he left.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

I don't think I've ever hated an athlete as much as I hated this guy. And I still hate him. Fuck that fuckin' fuck.

But credit where it's due: He was a phenomenal college basketball player. Not much in the pros, obviously, but at Duke? He was incredible.

DJ_Enki said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

I don't think I've ever hated an athlete as much as I hated this guy. And I still hate him. Fuck that fuckin' fuck.

But credit where it's due: He was a phenomenal college basketball player. Not much in the pros, obviously, but at Duke? He was incredible.

Yeah....I hated him too for no real reason. He reminds me of a basketball version of:

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

two chips vs one

The question was best player at Duke who had a the best NBA career. Not best player according to postition.

Chips mean something when talking about Chris Paul, but in all honesty dont mean shit...right?

I'm not altering shit, I'm talking about something you never really watched closely about. Check yourself.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

two chips vs one

Depends what you mean by best, I guess, but Battier has had a very good NBA career. Laettner was an "adequate" PF/Center. Battier is a great role player. Which would u rather have? Probably a great role player.

And you never really watched Jay Will at his peak, so you can't speak on that. There's no doubt, he would have made the best pro.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

two chips vs one

Depends what you mean by best, I guess, but Battier has had a very good NBA career. Laettner was an "adequate" PF/Center. Battier is a great role player. Which would u rather have? Probably a great role player.

And you never really watched Jay Will at his peak, so you can't speak on that. There's no doubt, he would have made the best pro.

Adequate All-Star who u didnt watch.

Jay didnt play in the NBA so he doesnt factor into this conversation.

Is Shane Battier the best career NBA player to come from Duke? Maybe I'm forgetting some awesome dude from Duke that went on to have a great NBA career but it seems like Battier is the dude...over Boozer, Danny Ferry and any others that I can think of at the moment.

RIF

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    you guys do realize jay williams played a full season in the NBA right?

unspectacular 9.5 points and 4.5 assists. with bad percentages. not saying he wouldn't have hit his stride, but i think he was far from a lock to be the best of the players you are discussing.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jesus....how about a guy from Duke who averaged 20/10 over the first 8 years of his career!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    ELTON BRAND

Rockadelic said:
    ELTON BRAND

Good call.

Def good call on EB....completely forgot.

Oh well

batmon said:
    Oh well

Weak analysis. FYI, what I said after game 1 of the ECF.

Miami's team defense has GOT to improve after this game and I think it will.

Indy couldn't have played a better game today. I think Miami will win the next game, and win the series.

Take that Batmon!