breaking bad season 5 ...lets smoke some glass

Comments

• edith head said:

nice. there is also this recurring motif through a few seasons.

it's things like this that make the show so much better and special than BE in my opinion.

very interesting!!so what are your thoughts on the thematic meaning?
    the pink bear was amazing symbolism that i may not have fully even grasped. the all knowing eyeball that sees everything that walt does and has done, no matter how he tries to hide it? wheres the connection to gayles apt and gus' face off

• it's details like this that make the show so incredible.

i went online to read different theories about the meaning of the "half-face", but i couldn't come up with anything interesting. i think it may be a reference to this:

• You can pull all sorts of meaning from it, that's the beauty of subtle symbolism. But the most obvious to me is the two-faced nature of each of the characters:

Walt / Heisenberg.

Gus Fring the successful business owner & philanthropist / Gustavo Fring the terminator meth lord.

Jesse the loudmouth delinquent junkie / Jesse the brooding, warmhearted caretaker.
    Also in Walt's eyes: Jesse as Heisenberg Jr. (Walt Jr.'s evil twin) / Jesse as cowardly snitch.

Sometimes, though, I think VG and crew are deliberately fucking with the overly-analytical fans-- the same way a meth-head in the middle of a binge might be convinced and obsessed that there's a pattern in something insignificant to the rest of the world.

• ...and no love for Andrea?

Jane WAS my cup o tea though. But I'm a sucker for edgy brunettes

• tripledouble said:

the pink bear was amazing symbolism that i may not have fully even grasped.

please to provide some theories as to the meaning of the pink bear?

other than "oh shit there's the pink bear again?"

• i didn't think so much of the symbolism of the half faces as much as i appreciated the use of foreshadowing.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    tripledouble said:

the pink bear was amazing symbolism that i may not have fully even grasped.

please to provide some theories as to the meaning of the pink bear?

other than "oh shit there's the pink bear again?"
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/09/breaking-bad-pink-motif/

• man, damned if i can quite figure it out. heres a link to a piece on it tho: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/07/television-dramas-coolest-recurring-motif-breaking-bads-pink-teddy-bear/3/

if you read the comments, people notice that the pink bear also showed up in the supermarket fugue state scene!

one commenter takes a decent stab at the significance:
    The article makes interesting visual parallels, but it doesn???t explain the meaning of the motif. The eye is a direct physical reminder of the negative consequences of Walt???s choices ??? and the only one of which Walt willingly holds onto. For sure, Walt???s guilt manifests itself through many channels ??? his unnatural attire, the body coming thru the bathtub, Walter Jr. messing up the pool, the Aztek???s continuously-breaking glass, the purchase of the Dodge Charger, the RV itself, and to a certain degree Skyler???s affair ??? but all of these things are taken off, repaired or cleaned up to maintain the social order. The eye, on the other hand, can be easily concealed as just a weird-looking eye. The eye is a scar that only Walt can see, and can return to when he sees fit. The eye serves as (safe) proof to himself that Walt doesn???t run from everything. It shows us how much Walt will punish himself ??? enough to remind him of his evil ways, but not enough to burden him politically in the world.

It???s interesting to note different parties??? reactions to the eye. Skyler is clearly freaked out by it. By that point she has heavily implicated herself with Walt???s choices, and even though she doesn???t know what the eye is exactly, she seems to be remarkably susceptible to the eye???s judication. On the other hand, the cartel brothers take a look at it ??? and disregard it. No surprise ??? they don???t feel guilty about much of anything ??? and they can view it as just a weird-looking eye.

• tripledouble said:
    and kinda sick that in order to hide his money (and ensure his family's financial well being) he literally dug Hank's grave

Actually, he was willing to give up all the money to save Hank. Walt is a good man who loves his family, even when they are trying to destroy him.

• of course, he wasnt intentionally digging Hanks grave. but bitter irony ensued

• Almost 200 items from Breaking Bad are up for auction. No, really.
    http://screenbid.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/6/

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    edith head said:
    i appreciated the use of foreshadowing.

• good to see the principal for a minnit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    loved that ending scene
    still introducing new shit even though next week is the last episode
    love it

• such a bonkers episode! todd continues to escalate the craziness.

love grey matter getting folded back in, ricin for gretchen? would be better if the m60 was for them HA

can't believe we only have 1 more

• rootlesscosmo said:
    good to see the principal for a minnit.

Yup.

• he has now proven that his name is bigger than both schwartz & gretchen, even if temporarily. that's gotta be enough closure for him to die happily.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    he has now proven that his name is bigger than both schwartz & gretchen, even if temporarily. that's gotta be enough closure for him to die happily.

Despite the idea that he is mainly ego, I'd like to think he is family first, ego second. He's been carting this barrel of money around with the hope of getting this to his family and looking after them when he passes on (his original intention when he first started cooking). Now his own namesake wants nothing to do with him and wishes him death.

The words from Flynn pushed him over the edge and is going to make him come back, to either try to prove to his family he had good intentions or to better their future after his demise.

[soulstrut]Vindicated![/soulstrut]

• vintageinfants said:
    he has now proven that his name is bigger than both schwartz & gretchen, even if temporarily. that's gotta be enough closure for him to die happily.

Despite the idea that he is mainly ego, I'd like to think he is family first, ego second. He's been carting this barrel of money around with the hope of getting this to his family and looking after them when he passes on (his original intention when he first started cooking). Now his own namesake wants nothing to do with him and wishes him death.

The words from Flynn pushed him over the edge and is going to make him come back, to either try to prove to his family he had good intentions or to better their future after his demise.

[soulstrut]Vindicated![/soulstrut]

naw man.... naaaaaaaaaaaw....

i think ol' Walty never let his ego.... even id... get in the backseat until something earth-shatteringly devastating was going to happen to his family. i think he always used protecting/financing his family as an excuse to feed his ego. he started for his family, but everything after that first taste was all for him. the reappearance of the Heisenberg IS his ego personified, and it never shows up because it NEEDS to.... he only puts it on when he wants to.

• seriously, walt's ego is his tragic flaw. couldn't let that grey matter interview go!

anyway, just when i think things can't get more gutwrenching, this episode shows every principal character hitting rock bottom, including saul.

that scene with todd in holly's room scared the bejeesus out of me. todd's softspokeness coupled with his complete lack of emotion is really menacing. he's a completely different kind of sociopath compared to all the other ones in the show's history.

• On talking bad, someone said it well. They thought Gretchen was what pushed him over the edge. He's been defeated, Flynn probably knocked him down even more like "fuck, was all this for nothing?" then Gretchen referred to him as sweet and made him seem passive. He couldn't handle that. He's always out to prove that he's not passive. To prove his power.

The scene with Andrea made me sad. I really hope Jessie kills everyone. I'd be down with him killing Walt.

• every time Todd touches another human being (skylar, et al) my entire body wretches.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    edith head said:

that scene with todd in holly's room scared the bejeesus out of me. todd's softspokeness coupled with his complete lack of emotion is really menacing. he's a completely different kind of sociopath compared to all the other ones in the show's history.

I laughed my ass off at Todd's following scene, though--the one with Lydia. Sipping his tea, looking pure Dockers Douchebag...just square as fuck, but too much of a sociopath to know or care.

• hogginthefogg said:
    Almost 200 items from Breaking Bad are up for auction. No, really.
    http://screenbid.auctionserver.net/view-auctions/catalog/id/6/

my life kind of feels half empty knowing i COULD have, but DON'T have jesse's roomba

• todd in the baby room was the creepiest shit everrrr
    jesse not clearing the fence was the most disappointing shit everrrr...it took me a second to realize that the repercussions were going to be horrrrrible. the scene at andrea's was so epicly sad and distrubing. it sat with me all night and all day today. horrifying.

somebody kill the damn nazis!!!!!

• Meth Nazis Must Die.

• Andrea's death was the saddest of the entire series for me. Poor, poor Jesse.

And yes, Todd is Biggest Creep. God damn!

• i am not ready for this series to be over. the robert forsythe appearance was ill!

b/w

Todd is one of the best, most complex villains ever to appear on this series or on tv for that matter.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i am not ready for this series to be over. the robert forsythe appearance was ill!

b/w

Todd is one of the best, most complex villains ever to appear on this series or on tv for that matter.

I'm ready, but that's also because they've killed everybody. They are doing the right thing ending it now.

Gus was a better villain than Todd. Evil and hiding in plan site. Gus killed his main guy as a sign of faith with Walt. Todd is just a pervy killer slightly smarter than all his pervy killer gang. Also, Walt is a villain even if he still has a fan club. Worst husband, father, relative around . Allowed a child to be poisoned, watched his partners girlfriend die, ordered a hit on his partner and multiple other people, killed people . Meth cooker. Master manipulator. Megalomaniac who's destroying his family with the idiot rational that he's providing for them. Most villains think they are right in their own mind. Walt is only worried about his ego and no one else. That's a villain, and he's way better than Todd. Todd is a good character but not the best TV villain ever. Hell the good guys on Game of Thrones do as much damage as Todd.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

Actually I think Todd is rather simple. he tries to impress his superiors (Walt, Uncle Aryan, His crush) and thats about it. He spares lives when asked (Jesse, Skyler, Baby White).

he's like Lenny from Of Mice and Men if Lenny was pals with a group of prison peckerwoods