breaking bad season 5 ...lets smoke some glass

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:

And yes, Todd is Biggest Creep. God damn!

• Guzzo said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Todd is one of the best, most complex villains ever to appear on this series or on tv for that matter.

Actually I think Todd is rather simple.
    he's like Lenny from Of Mice and Men

Ha! Yes. Picking the fluff off Lydia's jacket was cute (not).
    Are we to assume Walt's Heisenberg ego is derived from the Grey Matter debacle? And as such has driven him throughout? Fine.
    Love the chemo bag hanging off the stag horns.
    Quite fancy being exiled to New England or wherever Walt's been hiding out myself.
    Who's gonna get the ricin?
    Kinda hope they leave some people's threads untied (Saul, Skyler, Jesse even).
    Anyone else find the Emmy photo disrupting?

• yeah, skyler is looking disruptingly good

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Can meth cooking recipes not be written down in extreme detail? Or is Jesse too stupid to put into words his cooking process, and the Nazi guys too dumb to carry out detailed instructions? That part of the show never rang true to me. If a normal human can perform the task, then it can be written down. It's not like one of the steps is to run the 100m dash in 9.58 seconds.

• Reynaldo said:
    Can meth cooking recipes not be written down in extreme detail? Or is Jesse too stupid to put into words his cooking process, and the Nazi guys too dumb to carry out detailed instructions? That part of the show never rang true to me. If a normal human can perform the task, then it can be written down. It's not like one of the steps is to run the 100m dash in 9.58 seconds.

I don't have a problem with this aspect, and it probably is beyond Jesse's ability to put into writing the process that results in over 95% pure meth. Jesse had an aptitude for chemistry already, as he was making meth when we first met him. Then he studied under the master, WW. WW has the exactitude required to make pharmacutical-grade product and he passed his technique onto Jesse in what probably seemed like an annoyingly pedantic fashion. But once Jesse saw the results he prob appreciated the attention to detail. Now he's a master cook.
    It's the nazis who wouldn't be able to absorb all this in themselves. Thick people can't concentrate long enough to take in long complex procedures, I mean, them nazis are a bit basic and prob have little time for things like lab hygiene. Or am I not giving them their due? Chief nazi wiped blood off his shoe in a toilet cubicle. He personally doesn't waste time with concepts like DNA tracking.
    Love how they're now cooking solely so Todd can have a chance with Lydia. This is romance to them.

• didn't jesse teach WW how to cook meth in the first place? and then walt showed him how to apply those techniques properly for a better product? (sans chili pepper)

• Guzzo said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Todd is one of the best, most complex villains ever to appear on this series or on tv for that matter.
    he's like Lenny from Of Mice and Men if Lenny was pals with a group of prison peckerwoods

spot on. he is very much lenny except more murdery

• edith head said:
    Guzzo said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    he's like Lenny from Of Mice and Men if Lenny was pals with a group of prison peckerwoods

spot on. he is very much lenny except more murdery

lenny was always an object of derision and pity. ii see todd as being inherently smart and ultra-perceptive. his failure to portray an emotion except puppy love and a mild sense of regret is somehow more chilling to me.

• todd is not calculating or smart. he is simple, wreckless and unremorseful which is why he is scary. that's why he can kill a kid and shrug his shoulders and go on with his day. he doesn't have the brains to think about consequences or moral ramifications.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    ii see todd as being inherently smart .

word?

• edith head said:
    todd is not calculating or smart. he is simple, wreckless and unremorseful which is why he is scary. that's why he can kill a kid and shrug his shoulders and go on with his day. he doesn't have the brains to think about consequences or moral ramifications.

he is, imho, very perceptive. from nanny cam to seeing the potential in keeping jessie alive for information and a slave...he is certainly smarter and sees a longer game than any of the other AB. he understand how to rationalize. he uses charm as his ultimate weapon.

he seems to have some kind of moral code, albeit warped and homicidal. for example, we at least know that he can express respect, that he understands what remorse is (he says i'm sorry but this isn't personal before killing the girl) and that he has romantic feelings (which could be his undoing). in terms of killing the kid, i think that it was a "no brainier" for him in the same way hank's death was, it would haved been reckless, from his point of view, to let that kid live. he didn't feel any regret because it simply had to be done in his mind not because he is too dumb or crazy to have emotions

he strikes me as sociopathic rather than psychopathic......anyhow, it's just an interpretation...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    yeah, skyler is looking disruptingly good

Surprised at how much different she looks in real life. They really do a good job making her look like a frumpy housewife on the show.

How about the new theory that the 2 Mr Magorium DVD's were foreshadowing about a man dying leaving his empire to a younger person. And that Todd has taken Jessie's place in Walt's world. Not too far from the story, but Walt doesn't know about Todd's little visit to the family yet.

Reynaldo said:

Would you write down you secret recipe to make millions of dollars? Or would you keep it in your head? Also, part of the "secret" is to cook with the precision of a high level chemist. And not take short cuts or shrug when the temp it too high. I'm talking to you Todd. Todd only got the purity up because Jessie understands what matters.

• volumen said:
    tripledouble said:

Surprised at how much different she looks in real life. They really do a good job making her look like a frumpy housewife on the show.

she said she was on steroids for an illness during the seasons she looked a little puffy.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    volumen said:
    Reynaldo said:

Would you write down you secret recipe to make millions of dollars? Or would you keep it in your head? Also, part of the "secret" is to cook with the precision of a high level chemist. And not take short cuts or shrug when the temp it too high. I'm talking to you Todd. Todd only got the purity up because Jessie understands what matters.

And being able to troubleshoot and make corrections.

edith head said:
    volumen said:
    tripledouble said:

she said she was on steroids for an illness during the seasons she looked a little puffy.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully she's alright now. She's also not wearing designer gowns on the show either. Hank looks thinner and shorter in real life too.

• Hank always looked like a midget to me on the show.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    volumen said:
    Reynaldo said:

The high value of the knowledge is why the Nazis should be forcing Jesse to write it down in detail (they still have Brock for leverage). Then they can just kidnap any fairly competent chemist or grad student and plug them into Jesse's place when he loses the will to live. But, yeah, they aren't the smartest bunch.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    My impression is that Todd is an attentive but not terribly skilled student. In the Crystal Blue Persuasion montage from the last episode of season 5A, it's pretty clear that he and Walt went through dozens of cooks in the Vamanos Pest tents so he should be well familiar with the protocol. But clearly he doesn't understand the process well enough to troubleshoot any problems and the cook had steadily gone off the rails. I've worked with people like this in lab. Years ago, one of the scientists in the company I worked at hired a girl fresh out of college for a lab assistant position. This girl was gorgeous, absolutely stunning, I can't overemphasize how attractive she was. But she was also nearly useless in lab. You could train her to do something, do it together a couple of times, give her a detailed printed protocol and a week later she would be screwing it up somehow.

Jesse on the other hand is apparently naturally talented and picked up a lot of knowledge from Walt. When he emerges from rehab in season 3, he's able to cook up a batch that's almost as good as Walt's on his own, and in season 4 in Mexico we see him cook up 96% pure stuff even though he doesn't know how to make the phenyl acetic acid precursor. Note that at the beginning of the most recent episode Todd tells Lydia that the meth (that Jesse is cooking) is 92% but by the end of the episode there's a mention that the purity of the meth on the streets had climbed up to something like 96% (I believe in the Charlie Rose interview) which means that Jesse is actually getting better.

• RIP WALTER WHITE

Yea, Todd's a genius.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    volumen said:
    Yea, Todd's a genius.

Look at the Cadillacs George, I wanna see the Cadillacs

• I liked it, although it left me with little reaction. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. It was a good way to wrap things up and I'm satisfied. It felt subdued in a sense, even though it was crazy in parts. I loved thinking he had lost his shit and was going to kill the grey matters and loved that skinny p and badger were the "$200,000" hit men with laser pointers.

The gun in the trunk was cool, but a miracle considering Walt had to get a lot of things right in order for that to even semi work. Suspend disbelief, I know.

So Jesse is free and clear, as Gilligan and others said, but what about the video of his confession that is in the nazi clubhouse? What would have been their motive to destroy it? Did Jesse implicate then for the jail killings? Who cares I guess, but I was confused as to how nobody was onto Jesse at all. No heat?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Absolute perfection. A masterclass in every TV discipline. Pitch perfect and totally satisfying.

The sound of this peaking just as Walt died damn near broke my heart.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I really enjoyed the episode, but at the same time I thought that it let WW get away with dying on his terms and having "won" in a way that was a little too good for him. I like Emily Nussbaum's idea in the New Yorker, where the whole episode is revealed to be Walter's dying fantasy as he froze to death in the car. That would be much more satisfying to me somehow. Here is the article:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/breaking-bad-finale-reviewed.html

• Controller_7 said:
    I was confused as to how nobody was onto Jesse at all. No heat?

what do you mean by this?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    asstro said:
    I really enjoyed the episode, but at the same time I thought that it let WW get away with dying on his terms and having "won" in a way that was a little too good for him. I like Emily Nussbaum's idea in the New Yorker, where the whole episode is revealed to be Walter's dying fantasy as he froze to death in the car. That would be much more satisfying to me somehow. Here is the article:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/09/breaking-bad-finale-reviewed.html

A bit too Bobby Ewing in the shower for me.

He'd finally realised - and accepted - that it had all been for nothing. The only option left was to try and put as much of it right as he could. What with all the Peckinpah references in this final season, I thought it was a sublime touch to end it on one of the classic Bloody Sam themes - the freedom to choose how you die.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    While I really enjoyed the episode, I feel like I don't have closure with Jesse. I mean, riding off laughing was alright. Just felt like it was missing something.

I love the scene of the camera panning and Skyler on the phone. Only to reveal Walt from behind the column.

And I agree. Baby Blue at the end with the death was when my heart sank and I had that feeling like all things must come to an end. Turned off the TV, put on some music and just sat back and zoned out.

• I kinda like the idea of the whole episode as dying fantasy, beginning with the improbable presence of the car keys under the visor, all the way through the tidy shooting finale. A final shot of Walt frozen to death in the car would have been ill.