breaking bad season 5 ...lets smoke some glass

Comments

• I was on a business trip a few weeks ago spending extended time in the car with a few dudes I didn't know. I was talking about how Marie needed to chill on the purple shit and then they sort of slut shamed me for even noticing that. My question, How is it possible to be a fan of this show and not be aware that everything - EVERYTHING - that character wears or owns is purple? Isn't that reason enough for her to get it? Thanks for reading.

• white_tea said:
    I was on a business trip a few weeks ago spending extended time in the car with a few dudes I didn't know. I was talking about how Marie needed to chill on the purple shit and then they sort of slut shamed me for even noticing that. My question, How is it possible to be a fan of this show and not be aware that everything - EVERYTHING - that character wears or owns is purple? Isn't that reason enough for her to get it? Thanks for reading.

my GF is a clothing designer, she has pointed out the color of shirts and houses in pretty much every episode. not only does marie own ONLY purple things, hank is usually on board with it too.... except for in the shoot out where both hank and gomey are in orange. also, walter had been steady on white and creams for shirts for all of the second half of season 5, except for the last episode where he switches to blue (starting where he's staring out the car wash window with the blue lights of A1 behind him.

i think it should also be noted that marie was pregnant for all of season 2, it was poorly hidden, and im also guessing it's why there's been 10 scenes with Marie holding the baby to every 1 of skylers.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    MARIE SCHRADER: THE PURPLE TAPE II

can we get some throwback soulstrut photoshopping going on here? y'all have gone soft in recent years.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    white_tea said:
    I was on a business trip a few weeks ago spending extended time in the car with a few dudes I didn't know. I was talking about how Marie needed to chill on the purple shit and then they sort of slut shamed me for even noticing that. My question, How is it possible to be a fan of this show and not be aware that everything - EVERYTHING - that character wears or owns is purple? Isn't that reason enough for her to get it? Thanks for reading.

my GF is a clothing designer, she has pointed out the color of shirts and houses in pretty much every episode.

Yeah, the color cues in this show are pretty blatant, but still quite well done.

• Anyone else notice that this looks a lot like blue meth?

• DJ_Enki said:
    vintageinfants said:
    white_tea said:

my GF is a clothing designer, she has pointed out the color of shirts and houses in pretty much every episode.

Yeah, the color cues in this show are pretty blatant, but still quite well done.

can you provide other examples besides the purple?

rootlesscosmo said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    vintageinfants said:
    white_tea said:

can you provide other examples besides the purple?

Heisenberg's color is blue, obviously (note that in the last episode, Walt was wearing a blue button-down...yeah, he's gonna be cooking again).

Gus's color was yellow. This particularly came into play with the hazmat suits that Walt and Jesse would wear in the lab. Sometimes they were yellow, sometimes they were orange.

Saul wears green a lot. Because, you know, money.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

• eh.

these color theories are lame.

certain characters favor certain colors. that's...it.

• i agree. i think people are getting carried away with a magnifying glass searching for/ creating symbolism that might not be there. it's not like this is mulholland drive.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    eh.

Yeah, I'm not convinced it is anything more than that.

One thing that bothers me is that Walt often wears Wallabees. That's the one wardrobe feature in the whole show that seems strange to me.

• meistromoco said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    eh.

One thing that bothers me is that Walt often wears Wallabees. That's the one wardrobe feature in the whole show that seems strange to me.

True. Even if this last episode, it was Wallabees in the desert. You know, Walt, Clark's made a shoe/boot specifically for those occasions.

• white_tea said:
    meistromoco said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    eh.

True. Even if this last episode, it was Wallabees in the desert. You know, Walt, Clark's made a shoe/boot specifically for those occasions.

Doesn't he literally always wear Wallabees? I've never noticed him in anything else.

I think that's just a nod to him being an eccentric Chemistry teacher type. From what I understand, the Wallabee in the 70s had kind of a connection to the kind of high school teacher / college professor laid back but pragmatic approach (comfort, quality / not giving a shit about fashion).

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    eh.

I was watching an episode commentary recently (season 2 maybe?), and Gilligan and someone who works on the set said they absolutely dress characters in certain colors for meaning. They even map each character's color scheme out before they start shooting episodes for the season. So yeah, colors very much matter, according to the people who make the show.

• JATX said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    eh.

I was watching an episode commentary recently (season 2 maybe?), and Gilligan and someone who works on the set said they absolutely dress characters in certain colors for meaning. They even map each character's color scheme out before they start shooting episodes for the season. So yeah, colors very much matter, according to the people who make the show.

Even assuming this is true (and, again, I think the significance is massively overblown), I guess my question is "so what?" This has to be one of the least interesting aspects of the show. Why do I need Gilliam to *signal* to me a character's proclivities by the color of their shirt? How about I just watch what they do and say?

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    Even assuming this is true (and, again, I think the significance is massively overblown), I guess my question is "so what?" This has to be one of the least interesting aspects of the show. Why do I need Gilliam to *signal* to me a character's proclivities by the color of their shirt? How about I just watch what they do and say?

Nobody said you have to. I guess he thought some fans (nerds like me) would find it fun and interesting.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    There are similar color patterns to Mad Men, and Weiner and the costume designer have confirmed that they do it intentionally as well, it's just something else for obsessive fans to notice and geek out over if they want to. You aren't missing anything if you don't care about it, but it adds another layer for people who want to go there. It's like sample spotting for TV nerds.

• asstro said:
    sample spotting for TV nerds.
    that's it for me for sure, the colours sometimes foreshadow events, so it's fun to keep an eye on.

asstro said:
    You aren't missing anything if you don't care about it, but it adds another layer for people who want to go there. It's like sample spotting for TV nerds.

Exactly

• Shazam.

So many things happened.

Was Walt acting when he was on the phone with Skyler? I didn't quite get all of that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Was Walt acting when he was on the phone with Skyler? I didn't quite get all of that.

I'm pretty sure he knew the police were there and it was all for effect to make sure Skyler gets off.

• Yeah, I kind of got that. He said something like "it was all me."'

It'll be interesting to see how the next two episodes play out.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I thought it was a bit odd that Jr. lied about Walt pulling a knife on his Skyler. But I guess he's messed up finding out all this shit.

• well at least now everythings out in the open. i was actually wondering last week whether Jr. would run out the season without finding out about his pop. which would have been a huge victory for walt. but nope
    no more family secrets and deception definitely takes a weight off my chest for the last two

jesse being a methlab slave adds a shiny new weight on my chest in place of the other one

• that episode was devastating.

• edith head said:
    that episode was devastating.

going back an episode, is walt calling jesse a rat his 'joo a cock-a-roach meng' moment in line with the numerous scarface cues?

at this point in my eyes, for all the damage he's done and responsibility he's accepted walt HAS to die.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    edith head said:
    that episode was devastating.

going back an episode, is walt calling jesse a rat his 'joo a cock-a-roach meng' moment in line with the numerous scarface cues?

at this point in my eyes, for all the damage he's done and responsibility he's accepted walt HAS to die.

Am I the only one that feels a bit for Walt on account of his family turning on him and his 70 million dollar loss?

• probably. you sound morally bankrupt

for real tho, walt is stupendously tragic. hank getting killed seems to kill heisenberg too, in my eyes. (until he totally sells jesse out)

why did jack leave walt with his life and a barrel of cash? what kind of sense did that make?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    probably. you sound morally bankrupt

for real tho, walt is stupendously tragic. hank getting killed seems to kill heisenberg too, in my eyes. (until he totally sells jesse out)

why did jack leave walt with his life and a barrel of cash? what kind of sense did that make?

he said he did it due to the respect Meth Damon has for him. Also I'd imagine if the forced slavery of Jesse goes wrong he may of assumed he can come back to Walt for cooking lessons.