Is Baseball slowly dying?

Comments

• DB_Cooper said:

Or you can spend that $10 and get a seat behind home plate at the Rogers Centre. :hi:

holy shit i wish.

they're gettable, just usually up around the hunnit mark.

if you go back and watch the back to back world series wins by the toronto blue jays *ahem*, there's always been a restaurant in the 200 level of center field. last year they took it out because.... well... it was dogshit. they didn't know what to replace it with so they just opened it up as standing room section open to anyone with a valid ticket. it's a good spot to watch and has two bars and a bathroom right there. it's also pleased the fans for the rising ticket prices over the past decade when admittedly the product hasn't been that great. so now, for the cost of a 500 level ticket you can enjoy the game, although standing from a markedly better viewpoint.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Real heads know to just walk down into 100 Level seats after the 4-5th inning. ;)

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Matt Harvey is my new favorite baseball player:

http://dicomo.mlblogs.com/2013/07/15/im-matt-harvey-by-the-way/

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Good Skit.

why doesnt the mlb work harder to promote their upcoming talent outside of baseball?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    Real heads know to just walk down into 100 Level seats after the 4-5th inning. ;)

:real_headz:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    Good Skit.

why doesnt the mlb work harder to promote their upcoming talent outside of baseball?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1704898-bud-selig-mlb-commissioner-and-successful-adult-has-never-sent-an-email

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    batmon said:
    Good Skit.

damn! I just typed a bunch of rambling bullshit and previewed and it looked good and then boom gone

pelletpoints:

I think baseball has always had the funniest players. Matt Harvey on the street is great, as is this Tony Gwynn Jr heckler thing I saw recently.

The language barrier hurts foreign players' personalities breaking through. Dinosaurs like Selig can't do enough.

I just found out there's an official stat "hold" now. First new thing in baseball in forever. I need more new things. I feel I've seen it all. SF teams with all the weirdos got me back into it for a while, but stories like that shouldn't be so rare. Speaks to Batmon's point also: I think the gameplay itself is the least interesting thing about baseball. Show me some more out-there shit and I'll be way more hyped.

Mariners suck. Ownership makes money (Japanese TV deals) every year, that's enough for them. There's no Steinbrenner type who also wants to win. Business is not exciting. Mariners will continue to suck until some psycho shows up and tries to buy his daddy's love back.

and mostly I just wanted to poast this:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

The language barrier hurts foreign players' personalities breaking through.

In the US.

Remember when Yao Ming joined the NBA. They had no trouble marketing him.

IIRC Ichiro with the Mariners was the first Japanese player in the states.?
    I recall he was well marketed.

So it is possible.

Is MLB using Spanish speaking players as a way to market to Latin America? (Beyond the Caribbean.)

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    I don't think Ichiro was thee first Japanese player to come over, I can recall pitcher Hideki Irabu with the Yankees was before him. I think Ichiro was the first position player though.

To say the Mariners made a killing off of Ichiro (merch, tickets, concessions, etc...) is an understatement.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

Mariners suck. Ownership makes money (Japanese TV deals) every year, that's enough for them. There's no Steinbrenner type who also wants to win.

Exactly. The ownership would rather sell Ichi-roll's (sushi), bobble heads, and 'collectable' toy trains.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Or you can spend that $10 and get a seat behind home plate at the Rogers Centre. :hi:

holy shit i wish.

they're gettable, just usually up around the hunnit mark.

if you go back and watch the back to back world series wins by the toronto blue jays *ahem*, there's always been a restaurant in the 200 level of center field. last year they took it out because.... well... it was dogshit. they didn't know what to replace it with so they just opened it up as standing room section open to anyone with a valid ticket. it's a good spot to watch and has two bars and a bathroom right there. it's also pleased the fans for the rising ticket prices over the past decade when admittedly the product hasn't been that great. so now, for the cost of a 500 level ticket you can enjoy the game, although standing from a markedly better viewpoint.

To be fair, the last time I was there was about a decade ago. But I had pretty amazing seats behind home plate for a song. It was ridiculous.

I think Ichiro was the first Japanese position player. Japanese Cool is a way easier sell than Spanish in our happy melting pot of a USA. And, given that it's a quarter of the MLB's starting rosters is comprised of foreign-born players from Latin American countries, that's the problem. I guess pesos yen dollars it's all the same to the dudes cashing it in though. I just don't see kids wanting to be baseball players as much anymore. Who knows. I think everyone should be on skateboards anyways.

also hey there's a movie of a gorilla playing baseball and nobody's tripping until he hits the ball out of the park and then they all go silent is that NAGGING at anyone's CRAW or whatever?

seems weird

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    also hey there's a movie of a gorilla playing baseball and nobody's tripping until he hits the ball out of the park and then they all go silent is that NAGGING at anyone's CRAW or whatever?

seems weird

What stood out to me is the fact that we're in the year 2013 and the opening bars of "Walk of Life" can still signify that we're about to have a good time.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

thank god for the subtitles.

ppadilha said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

seems weird

What stood out to me is the fact that we're in the year 2013 and the opening bars of "Walk of Life" can still signify that we're about to have a good time.

"Walk of Life" and "Sultans of Swing" are timeless. I don't know why, but they are. Back in my pool hall days (and I was actually really quite good in my late teens and early 20s), this was my fucking jukebox JAM. If I was playing a tournament, I'd always try to make sure this song came on when my game came up.

yes!
    they're total baseball summertime songs for sure

somehow
    even with Dire Straits being from some non-america place, right?

whereas PUT ME IN COACH I'M READY TO PLAY
    TODAY
    HEY HEY
    centerfield whatever--that's a damn song written to be the happy summertime baseball song and it has the opposite effect

curious, this world

at one point I was going to ask if the lack of big baseball stars now has something to do with the increase in latin american players in the MLB. I guess this answers my question:

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/55715208108/baseball-fans-super-angry-hispanic-american-superstar

ppadilha said:
    at one point I was going to ask if the lack of big baseball stars now has something to do with the increase in latin american players in the MLB. I guess this answers my question:

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/55715208108/baseball-fans-super-angry-hispanic-american-superstar

I dunno, I don't think the existence of a few dozen angry assholes on Twitter really answers any questions.

Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:

I dunno, I don't think the existence of a few dozen angry assholes on Twitter really answers any questions.

Unless the question is "Are there dumb-as-fuck racists in this country?" Yup. There are.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I think Ichiro was the first Japanese position player.

Indeed, previous ones were all pitchers. Fun side note: before Ichiro's arrival, relief pitcher Kazuhiro Sasaki signed with the Mariners after 10 seasons in Japan, and age 32 became the oldest player ever to be named Rookie of the Year.

DB_Cooper said:
    Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:

Unless the question is "Are there dumb-as-fuck racists in this country?" Yup. There are.

I know, shouldn't generalize based on this. There's no shortage of idiots on the internet and you can always find a dumbass to support your point.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:

which has an obvious answer and sure as fuck doesn't warrant a blog post about it.

I'm not sure I wanna live in a world where people get paid to Google search Twitter and post a series of pronouncements by some racists I don't know.

rootlesscosmo said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Horseleech said:
    ppadilha said:

which has an obvious answer and sure as fuck doesn't warrant a blog post about it.

I'm not sure I wanna live in a world where people get paid to Google search Twitter and post a series of pronouncements by some racists I don't know.

It never even occurred to me that anyone was getting paid to do that stuff. I just figured it was someone who liked to flex their moral outrage on teh internets.

DB_Cooper said:
    It never even occurred to me that anyone was getting paid to do that stuff. I just figured it was someone who liked to flex their moral outrage on teh internets.

in the case of that blog I think that's what it is. But then other sites pick it up and people get paid to write the exact same thing.

Rockadelic said:
    Texas Ranger average home attendance per game

1972 - 8,610
    1982 - 14,252
    1992 - 27,139
    2002 - 29, 043
    2012 - 42,719

I just watched clips of Yu Darvish striking out 14 in a win.

The stats said 86% attendance, the stadium wasn't even 1/4 full.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:

1972 - 8,610
    1982 - 14,252
    1992 - 27,139
    2002 - 29, 043
    2012 - 42,719

It was a make-up game from an earlier rain out

B/W

Three walk off home runs against the Angels this week prior to Yu's beauty tonight!

Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:

1972 - 8,610
    1982 - 14,252
    1992 - 27,139
    2002 - 29, 043
    2012 - 42,719

It was a make-up game from an earlier rain out

Nonetheless the stats were a total lie. Watch this and tell me if you think 86% of the seats are full:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330801113

The Rangers are hardly unique in this regard, virtually every game that I bother to check is completely misrepresented attendance-wise.

MLB attendance figures are complete BS. Not exaggerations, complete lies.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have no idea what is up with MLB attendance figures.
    I know that when every one hated the Trail Blazers lots of season ticket holders (especially business which would buy up blocks of seats) stayed away.
    The Blazers would give tickets away just so they could say they had another sell out.
    A sell out, but the seats are empty.