Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• Been revisiting 1970's NYC films. Ones I hadn't watched up until recently include Klute, Born To Win, Annie Hall, The 7 Ups, Marathon (probably 80's), All That Jazz amongst others that I'd watched years ago but couldn't quite remember.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SP 1200 said:
    Been revisiting 1970's NYC films. Ones I hadn't watched up until recently include Klute, Born To Win, Annie Hall, The 7 Ups, Marathon (probably 80's), All That Jazz amongst others that I'd watched years ago but couldn't quite remember.

The Panic In Needle Park
    Deathwish
    Willie Dynamite
    The Wiz
    The Wanderers

1980: The Year.
    Fame, Times Square, Gloria, The Exterminator

I still have to see Looking For Mr. Goodbar.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    SP 1200 said:
    Been revisiting 1970's NYC films. Ones I hadn't watched up until recently include Klute, Born To Win, Annie Hall, The 7 Ups, Marathon (probably 80's), All That Jazz amongst others that I'd watched years ago but couldn't quite remember.

The Panic In Needle Park
    Deathwish
    Willie Dynamite
    The Wiz
    The Wanderers

Serpico
    Warriors
    Fort Apache, the Bronx
    Looking for Mr. Goodbar
    Cruising

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    batmon said:
    SP 1200 said:

The Panic In Needle Park
    Deathwish
    Willie Dynamite
    The Wiz
    The Wanderers

My Bodyguard

Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    batmon said:
    SP 1200 said:

The Panic In Needle Park
    Deathwish
    Willie Dynamite
    The Wiz
    The Wanderers

My Bodyguard

'77 TV Raer

Real I-Talian 70's Brooklyn - '78 Nunzio.

GOAT Retarded Sex Scene!!!!!!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Landlord (1970). Beau Bridges buys a building in the run-down New York slum of Park Slope, and hijinks ensue!

Then he gradually gentrifies the whole neighborhood, sells at a ridiculous profit, moves to Long Island, and votes for Romney.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I watched Death Race 2000 the other day. Hilariously bad. Loved it.
    The funniest part was Machine Gun Joe's fight with Frankenstein and Sly's stunt double.
    Firstly, he needed a stunt double for that lame fight?? And b) the double looked more like Jim Belushi (he was facing the camera for most of it).

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    My dad and I have been watching the Warner Oland-starring Charlie Chan movies because it brings him childhood memories of watching films and serials being projected onto school playground walls on Saturday mornings. We saw the '36 Olympics one and "..the Opera" with Boris Karloff. I also saw "Black Fist" (amazing what slips through the public domain cracks!) and "Rollerball" for the first time

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    mattB said:
    I watched Death Race 2000 the other day.

I was in Mexico on hollyday last month and I came across a guy wearing a t-shirt that read, "Death Rake 2009". I wanted to ask him about it so badly but he was with his son and I felt a bit awkward. As fate would have it, later that day he wound up standing next to me while some guys were doing the ol' Danza de los Voladores in a park, so I figured I had to ask. Turns out he works on a blueberry farm and it's the name the workers gave to blitz when they harvest the berries. Awesome.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0189998/

Loved it all over again

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Loved it all over again

have you seen that director's first film? I forget what it's called, and can't bother looking it up, but I don't really recommend it anyway. So this post is more of a warning to let you know you'll be in for some disappointment if you get sold on watching E. Elias Mhehrhigheh directorial debut.

ppadilha said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Loved it all over again

have you seen that director's first film? I forget what it's called, and can't bother looking it up, but I don't really recommend it anyway. So this post is more of a warning to let you know you'll be in for some disappointment if you get sold on watching E. Elias Mhehrhigheh directorial debut.

Word, nah I didn't know. I thought this was his first film.
    Ill peep it out anyway.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Another one I'm surprised I hadn't seen previously. Great cast, great idea, a lot of fun and rewardingly gory for a late eighties flick. Would recommend.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts

Always wanted to see this but lost track of it. Recently realized that it was by the guy who made Pineapple Express (which I love). Really amazing movie; though not for everyone.

Just watched The Exorcist tonight for the X time. Incredible movie.

batmon said:
    Just watched The Exorcist tonight for the X time. Incredible movie.

good luck sleeping. shits still scary as fuck.

ketan said:

Always wanted to see this but lost track of it. Recently realized that it was by the guy who made Pineapple Express (which I love). Really amazing movie; though not for everyone.

I like this movie, have been meaning to watch Pineapple Express and never get around to it. He has another film called All The Real Girls that manages to be incredibly corny and brilliant at the same time but it mainly alternates between the two, sometimes in the same scene.

I saw this for the first time, on a big screen, Friday night. The Revelations inspired first trip scene was insane. Where are my floaters at?

I just read the book. The entire film being shot in first person POV, with mirror shots to change it up once in a while, was interesting. Montgomery, also the director, doing Marlowe's voice over was funny without intent at moments, but I could see how this would be "revolutionary" by '40s standards.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I watched Barton Fink last night and my mind is still blowed. LOVED IT!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Finally peeped Rosemary's Baby last night. Not scary, but entertaining.

rootlesscosmo said:

Yeah, its more creepy than scary.

rootlesscosmo said:

The Tenant is good too. Same vibe, but creepier and more disturbing IMO.

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts

Been awhile since I've seen it back in the 90s, but I wanted to show my girlfriend a film that's shot entirely in one room. Extremely hard to make.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    "To Catch A Thief"

"Serpico"

"Vertigo"

so dope !

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

I realized that I haven't seen many movies from the 80s (compared to, say, the 40s and 70s), so I have been on a John Carpenter kick recently. I've already seen "Assault On Precinct 13" and "Escape From New York" years back, but never "The Thing", "Big Trouble In Little China" (guilty confession: the trailer to this scared me as a little kid), "They Live" or "Prince Of Darkness". I'm just finishing up the latter. This shit is great.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

^^^ Obvs doesn't have kids

Seriously though, the ending of that film is truly the most frightening of all - the motherly instinct to want to nurture the spawn of the devil? I picked up the Criterion Collection on Blu-ray of the movie last year, upgrading my VHS.

I finally saw Badlands last weekend, after previously seeing all of Malick's other films (aside from his latest). It really helped inform his later films and interesting to see how much of Badlands you see in films by other people - the part in Wes Anderson's Moonlight Kingdom with the two kids dancing seems like homage in retrospect, to name one example.