Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I thought it was good,the idea that there could be a division within the force that's using unethical ways to bring criminals to justice seems really real to me.
    Richard Lynch plays the dude who's kidnapping the mobsters, with a face like his he could never play a good guy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Wow, I want to see that Yul Brynner flick. Never heard of it before.

HarveyCanal said:
    Wow, I want to see that Yul Brynner flick. Never heard of it before.

Here's the download http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0IMXV1XB
    The sound goes out of sync by a second or two in the last quarter of the film.
    Don't make this deter you from watching it,It's still watchable.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

One year before The Warriors and its seemed less Hollywood.

Lawrence Hilton Jacobs should have been a bigger star in the game.

The War Soundtrack has made me re-think my position vs. Mandrill.

• kala said:
    panic in needle park

I like this movie, but fuck me it is depressing to watch....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Risingson said:
    kala said:
    panic in needle park

I like this movie, but fuck me it is depressing to watch....

Seriously. I turned it off halfway through because it was bumming me out so hard. I'll revisit later.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Kind of cheating here as I had seen this before many, many, years ago but have been wanting to watch it again for almost as long and finally got hold of a copy. After finally getting my hands on it I actually delayed watching it out of a fear that the movie wouldn't live up to my memories of it but upon watching it had a similar effect as the first time round.
    What struck me now was what struck me then, namely the silence and matter of factness of the actual sniping attacks, particularly the first wave on top of the power station. There's a clinical stillness about it (increased by the clean cut look of the killer) that really chills me. I still found the cutting between the sniper and Karloff's stories jarring but the reasoning behind this seemed clearer this time round as well. Stands up as a great example of how to use the limitations of a b-movie to your advantage. Bogdonavich still makes my skin crawl though.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts

WONDERFUL.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Been wanting this for years and had no idea it was available on DVD. Yay!
    Vaguely remember something about doped girls being kept in stables and somebody getting killed by a reaper

Hells yea.

I had no idea what this was about and was just feeding my Lee Marvin crush.
    Top 10 WTF is going on??? film openings.

(Spacek's first film role, not Badlands!)

• minimini 879 Posts
    Been sick at home few days. Watched some movies:

fauxteur said:
    This is one of the better Bond knockoffs ...

Also Scott Walker reeaally gets into that theme song.

YES. And I forgot the Scott Walker reference in this post, so I had a serious WTF moment during the theme song. Excellent, though???on par for enjoyment with some of the mid-range 60s Bond flicks. Better than the weaker ones, that's for sure.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I saw Faces and Killing of a Chinese Bookie recently, as well. The former was brilliant: it's like being forced to spend a couple of hours visiting a friend's house where later visitors create some real awkward moments. Seymour Cassel had some hilarious speeches to make. I did not like KoaCB even though I really wanted to. The Mr. Sophistication striptease show side story is a promising idea with painfully boring results, like the rest of the movie. Opening Night was really good, though. Never saw WUtI.

Electrode said:
    I saw Faces and Killing of a Chinese Bookie recently, as well. The former was brilliant: it's like being forced to spend a couple of hours visiting a friend's house where later visitors create some real awkward moments. Seymour Cassel had some hilarious speeches to make. I did not like KoaCB even though I really wanted to. The Mr. Sophistication striptease show side story is a promising idea with painfully boring results, like the rest of the movie. Opening Night was really good, though. Never saw WUtI.

I was completely underwhelmed by Killing of a Chinese Bookie, and got about a third of the way into Faces before I shut it off. I'm sure many will make the argument that I haven't given Cassavettes enough of a chance, and that might be fair. Maybe I'll revisit and reevaluate later. But as it stands, the emperor makes shitty movies in my opinion.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Electrode said:

Faces was great, but i quite enjoyed Killing of a Chinese Bookie and Woman Under the Influence too. Probably gonna watch Opening Night tomorrow.

• It was ok.

A curio for the Wes Craven completists.It had it's moments but overall it wasn't that good .

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    magnetic said:

A curio for the Wes Craven completists.It had it's moments but overall it wasn't that good .
    dude is one of those directors -- along with cronenberg -- who u can really see learning on the job. he got better film by film.

bassie said:
    Jspr said:
    Been wanting this for years and had no idea it was available on DVD. Yay!
    Vaguely remember something about doped girls being kept in stables and somebody getting killed by a reaper

Hells yea.

I had no idea what this was about and was just feeding my Lee Marvin crush.
    Top 10 WTF is going on??? film openings.

(Spacek's first film role, not Badlands!)

Good film thanks for the recommendation.
    I only have a slight complaint though why would Marvin let Hackman live after he tried to kill him three times previously.
    Isn't he a professional killer for the Mafia?

SIRUS said:
    magnetic said:

dude is one of those directors -- along with cronenberg -- who u can really see learning on the job. he got better film by film.

Hmm, don't know if I'd agree with that personally unless you have a cut off point in mind? I love most of his output up to and including People Under The Stairs for his embracing of the trashy side of horror films (I even ride for Deadly Friend) but I think he's done very little to match the rawness and power of The Hills Have Eyes and, with the notable exception of Scream, everything since 1991 has been pretty underwhelming.

Wow. Went into this expecting another mildly diverting slice of mid eighties martial arts and was blown away by the best bad film I've seen in a long time.

So many rewarding elements:

The teenage lead played by a forty year old man with a moustache.
    The fact that all the dubbing sounds improvised on the spot including some of the most bizarre ad libbing I've seen in a long time.
    The strange homoerotic shower and banana scene.
    A general disregard for any kind of plot structure or purpose.

Highly recommended.

Another one to elevate to near the top of the trash film pile. If pushing exploitation to its extremes is something to be commended then this should be lauded with praise. Every area of bad taste was celebrated to the full - from the deaf mute sister's silent ballet dance seconds before the gang rape to the entirely unnecessary second murder of a woman who not only due to be married the next day but was also pregnant. Blair absolutely slays it with her babyfaced attitude and I finished the film extremely satisfied that I had sunk to proper depths.

Finally tracked this down to watch again almost twenty years after I originally caught it on late night tv. Sadly it appears that my fractured memories of the film were infinitely superior to what Mann put on screen - god knows what his original 3 and a half hour cut was like. Plus points were the classic Mann framing and the Tangerine Dream score which gave everything a slight Carpenter feel. Negative points were pretty much everything else.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

I watched all six films in the Lone Wolf And Cub series; which were later ported to the condensed, English-dubbed Shogun Assassin, in the past two weeks. Amazing. It has the whole kitchen sink: Japanese "every frame is art" aesthetic, great acting, literary storytelling, both tear-jerker and "what the fuck" moments, brutal violence and blood in the form of arterial spurting and James Bond sensibilities. I can safely say this is one of the best 70s films or series of films, not made in the United States, I have seen so far.

I also saw The Red Kimona recorded from a TCM broadcast in 2000 from a VHS tape I found at the thrift store a couple of years ago and rediscovered recently. It's a silent film from 1925 with a heavy handed story about a prostitute who wants to make good after being acquitted for killing her pimp in a crime of passion. It's notable because it was Walter Lang's debut, is one of the first films produced by a woman and has moments of scarlet color inserted. There's a surprisingly ahead-of-its-time rollercoaster ride scene in it too. How you could safely attach seveal bulky cameras on a coaster back then is beyond me. And there's Tyrone Power's dad who plays Priscilla Bonner's father and, like most of the male cast, is a scumbag.

Two great films,recommended highly.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    coldcuts said:

It was ok.

BAN

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Risingson said:

this is such a horrible poster. THAT's suposed to be goldblum? don't get me started on bruno kirby...

• i've just seen WHAT ABOUT BOB? and loved it.

peace, stein. . .

• youngEINSTEIN said:

i've just seen WHAT ABOUT BOB? and loved it.

peace, stein. . .

Baby steps to the elevator...baby steps to the elevator! Love this film. Very underrated.