What? No NBA 2012-2013 Thread Yet?

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Don't care about Jackson's speeches. He obviously brought this team together and provided the needed leadership to push us this far, which is what you want in a coach. I'm proud as fuck of this team. Go Warriors!

This was after the game. This is what the Warriors and their fans are all about.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Damn...George Hill might not be available for Game 6 due to the new Concussion rules.
    Paul George and Stephenson are too sloppy to have the ball in their hands running the O.
    D.J. Augustine is gonna have to step they fusk up.
    Even if the Pacers win in Indiana on Saturday, they lost a great opportunity to show they win on the road, deep in a series.
    That game one win was a cool steal but that advantage gets nullified quickly.

Golden State is ahead of schedule in terms of rebuilding.
    They have the greatest back-court in the history in the NBA. A legit PF and Center who both can score somewhat.
    Fortify the bench w/ Jarret Jack + Carl Landry and shit is real.
    I repped Mark Jackson from day one (NYC & The Pacers). Dude is on his way.

OKC is the real story here. This offseason should be interesting.
    Ibaka is not that third option dude. Martin needs to be fed.
    In the end they need a Low Post Threat. Perkins aint shit on the block.
    Reggie Jackson has a nice future.

Its a shame Memphis had to cut Gaye due to the cap.
    I wonder who they could add to that roster to continue their success.
    J.J. Reddick?

Spurs are like muthafuckin' Freddie+Jason+Michael Myers

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Can you guys point to any specific coaching moves Mark Jackson made in this series that were "great" ? From what i watched, Pop pretty much coached both teams. Jackson did a great job in The 4th qtr of Game 4 but thats about it..it was actually pretty sad watching Pop toy with him. Yet, you guys are praising the dude....The Warriors have arguably the most talented team in the NBA but they only managed 2 wins against the old,predictable Spurs.

edpowers said:
    Can you guys point to any specific coaching moves Mark Jackson made in this series that were "great" ? From what i watched, Pop pretty much coached both teams. Jackson did a great job in The 4th qtr of Game 4 but thats about it..it was actually pretty sad watching Pop toy with him. Yet, you guys are praising the dude....The Warriors have arguably the most talented team in the NBA but they only managed 2 wins against the old,predictable Spurs.

U go from not getting into the Playoffs to fighting hard in the second round against the veteran Spurs. That's pretty good.

Why are X and Os the only gauge as a coach.
    Dont tell me Phil Jackson is some strategic genius. He was a fake Zen motivator and had Tex Winters.

Pat Riley?? Dude is on some fake ass Art Of War shit, watching Apocalypse Now tricks.

Jackson is a great motivator. I wouldnt call him GREAT at this point, but dude is gonna make real noise down the line. (Rosters and health).
    He'll do better than Vinnie Del Negro, Scott Brooks, and Nate McMillian (his peers).

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    As Batmon pointed out, he has more to learn in terms of strategies and in-game adjustments; but his leadership qualities as a great point guard are coming through as a coach.

Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, and Jarrett Jack are good. But really, they could have easily not made the playoffs without a good coach. Probably a few healthy bigs (Lee, Bogut, Biedrins) this year from beating the Spurs. Got too predictable down the line.

Also, Jordan/Pippen, I believe can be considered a back-court, no? Durant/Westbrook ain't bad either. You can't be calling that shit "Best backcourt in history" after one solid season...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    edpowers said:

Well, yeah, Pop outcoached him, but Pop outcoaches pretty much everybody. He's probably the best in the game right now. But besides the motivational aspect, not to mention actually getting this squad of gunners to care about defense a bit, Jackson also ran some pretty smart offensive sets and was good at using screen-rolls to get the matchups he wanted (using the screen roll to get Harrison Barnes posting up against Tony Parker in game 4 springs immediately to mind). But Pop being Pop, he had at least one more counter than Jackson did attacks.

yuichi said:
    Also, Jordan/Pippen, I believe can be considered a back-court, no? Durant/Westbrook ain't bad either. You can't be calling that shit "Best backcourt in history" after one solid season...

There is no greatest.....but that's the type of shit you tell these kids to make them believe in themselves.

He did this with Reggie Miller against the Knicks. He would be on some Drew Bundini Brown/Flavor Flav steez.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9285372/phil-jackson-compares-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book

Phil's book is gonna be spun a completely different way (again). And i could only seeing it adding fuel to the sheer competitiveness of the one.

That video clip with Steven A. summarizes what we've pretty much known about MJ and Kobe all along. I'm just glad to have watched both in their primes............

U go from not getting into the Playoffs to fighting hard in the second round against the veteran Spurs. That's pretty good.
    It's not good enough when GSW were clearly the more talented team and in control of the first 2 games in the series...ON THE ROAD...This wasnt the same as Chicago sneaking a game from Miami...GSW is a better team than SA.

Dont tell me Phil Jackson is some strategic genius. He was a fake Zen motivator and had Tex Winters.
    X and Os are most important in the playoffs....you're entire offensive strategy can't be ISO Steph,ISO Klay,ISO Barnes,ISO Jack....not to mention how awful the defensive rotations and subtitution patterns were...

it's no coincidence the best X and O coaches are still standing...Pop-Hollins-Spo-Vogel....

Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, and Jarrett Jack are good. But really, they could have easily not made the playoffs without a good coach
    Nonsense....GSW have one of the best rosters in the league..they would have made the playoffs with a mannequin coaching...they also could have beat The Spurs without Steph...they lack discipline and direction...

edpowers said:

It's not good enough when GSW were clearly the more talented team and in control of the first 2 games in the series...ON THE ROAD...This wasnt the same as Chicago sneaking a game from Miami...GSW is a better team than SA.

X and Os are most important in the playoffs....you're entire offensive strategy can't be ISO Steph,ISO Klay,ISO Barnes,ISO Jack....not to mention how awful the defensive rotations and subtitution patterns were...

it's no coincidence the best X and O coaches are still standing...Pop-Hollins-Spo-Vogel....

Golden State is the "better" team on paper, but the Spurs have had the same core for a long time, plugging in newjacks into a well oiled system. The Spurs were a 60 win team this season.
    No matter how good/talented Curry and them are, they dont have have that experience.
    Young teams let up and dont know how to turn shit up and dispose of the opposition.
    You had no David Lee.

In the end who out there on the market would have gotten GS past the Spurs?
    Or lets say who should they have gotten instead on Jackson last year?
    No veteran elite coach wants to inherit GS rebuilding state.

I'd place Coach Rivers in Boston as a better X/O guy than Coach Woodson yet......

Talent, Injuries, Exp, and luck play a part just as much as Strategy.

At this point do u think they should dump Jackson and find a replacement?

Golden State is the "better" team on paper, but the Spurs have had the same core for a long time
    agreed...experience played a much bigger role than coaching or talent

Or lets say who should they have gotten instead on Jackson last year?
    No veteran elite coach wants to inherit GS rebuilding state.

i wouldn't get rid of Jackson immediately...however, i wouldnt attach myself to him long term based on this season....most importantly, as a fan i would not get comfortable with 2nd round exits....if the Warriors dont make it to the WCF next season i would consider it a disappointing season and take a look at other coaching options

I'd place Coach Rivers in Boston as a better X/O guy than Coach Woodson yet......

Talent, Injuries, Exp, and luck play a part just as much as Strategy.

The Celtics would not have made the playoffs without Doc...and if Doc were coaching The Knicks they'd be a nuch better team

That's completely ridiculousl. No one picked the warriors to make the playoffs this year. Then we were supposed to lose to Denver. Now were supposed to make it to the western conference finals????? Get the fuck outta here with that.

edpowers said:
    i wouldn't get rid of Jackson immediately...however, i wouldnt attach myself to him long term based on this season....most importantly, as a fan i would not get comfortable with 2nd round exits....if the Warriors dont make it to the WCF next season i would consider it a disappointing season and take a look at other coaching optionsm

I think you kinda jumping the gun. Your two season away from the Keith Smart 36 Win season.
    Yall get a new coach and dump Monta Ellis. Then go thru growing pains in a shortened season when no one really gels.

You expect to be contenders that fast?

Curry, Harrison Barnes and Klay Thompson are still in their learning stages.
    Yall need at least good two deep playoff runs to even start to think contender status.

I see this as a great step in the right direction w/ a 4 year plan. The kids have to grow and yall have to improve the roster.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    edpowers said:

this is what frustrated me the most watching the last four games. the warriors half court offense is pretty terrible in comparison to the spurs. i actually started paying attention to this and on most possessions the warriors would pass the ball once or twice which would usually end up with someone playing ISO and either making or missing a well contested shot. spurs usually pass 5 or 6 times on each possession usually leading to an open shot. Curry and Thompson need to figure out how to be effective aside from just shooting the ball, especially when the defense tightens up. Barnes could actually end up being their most dangerous threat offensively.

I'm not mad at this season at all. Nobody expected us to make it to the playoffs. Nobody expected us to make the 6th seed. Nobody expected us to beat Denver. Nobody expected us to win 2 games against the Spurs. All in all, you have to look at this season as a success and a stepping stone toward the future, but I still think their are fatal flaws to the team that need to be addressed before they can become a legitimate contender.

motown67 said:
    That's completely ridiculousl. No one picked the warriors to make the playoffs this year. Then we were supposed to lose to Denver. Now were supposed to make it to the western conference finals????? Get the fuck outta here with that.
    Stop it ...
    People that actually watch Western Conference basketball knew Golden State would beat Denver....it was espn/tnt riding Denver

Earlier in this thread, before the all star break, when everyone was on The Clippers i was saying GSW was the best team in the Pac Div....so, yeah...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    yuichi said:
    That video clip with Steven A.

L.M.S.Y.R.T.

batmon said:
    edpowers said:
    i wouldn't get rid of Jackson immediately...however, i wouldnt attach myself to him long term based on this season....most importantly, as a fan i would not get comfortable with 2nd round exits....if the Warriors dont make it to the WCF next season i would consider it a disappointing season and take a look at other coaching optionsm

I think you kinda jumping the gun. Your two season away from the Keith Smart 36 Win season.
    Yall get a new coach and dump Monta Ellis. Then go thru growing pains in a shortened season when no one really gels.

Yall need at least good two deep playoff runs to even start to think contender status.

I see this as a great step in the right direction w/ a 4 year plan. The kids have to grow and yall have to improve the roster.

4 years?? nah man ......going into next season the only other real contender in the west will be Memphis and possibly OKC......why not expect to make it to the WCF when you're coming back with the same roster at full strength....

edpowers said:
    batmon said:
    edpowers said:

4 years?? nah man ......going into next season the only other real contender in the west will be Memphis and possibly OKC......why not expect to make it to the WCF when you're coming back with the same roster at full strength....

The WCF isnt a stretch but - The Spurs, Memphis, LAC, and OKC will be back in the mix.

For me I usually envision a team that has gelled, to go thru some shit, lose and come back with an improved plan.
    Miami got beat by Dallas and came back.
    Real growing pains steez. GS upset Denver( the perennial Regular Season team) and stayed in the ring w/ The Spurs.
    Thats not contender shit yet IMO.

Getting past the second round might be your expected ceiling on the conservative tip.

I just dont think yall contenders w/ this young roster next year yet despite LAC being iffy, LA going thru age, and Denver resurging.

I could be wrong. But in the end, I wouldnt be that hard on Mark Jackson or underestimate the current elite West Coast teams.

maru said:
    edpowers said:

this is what frustrated me the most watching the last four games. the warriors half court offense is pretty terrible in comparison to the spurs. i actually started paying attention to this and on most possessions the warriors would pass the ball once or twice which would usually end up with someone playing ISO and either making or missing a well contested shot. spurs usually pass 5 or 6 times on each possession usually leading to an open shot. Curry and Thompson need to figure out how to be effective aside from just shooting the ball, especially when the defense tightens up. Barnes could actually end up being their most dangerous threat offensively.

I'm not mad at this season at all. Nobody expected us to make it to the playoffs. Nobody expected us to make the 6th seed. Nobody expected us to beat Denver. Nobody expected us to win 2 games against the Spurs. All in all, you have to look at this season as a success and a stepping stone toward the future, but I still think their are fatal flaws to the team that need to be addressed before they can become a legitimate contender.

I think that was a reflection of Lee being out. He was an excellent passer and helped keep the ball moving. He was also the main safety valve for when Steph got stuck. Also Jack's biggest flaw was overdribbling and not hitting the open man.

edpowers said:
    motown67 said:
    Stop it ...
    People that actually watch Western Conference basketball knew Golden State would beat Denver....it was espn/tnt riding Denver

Earlier in this thread, before the all star break, when everyone was on The Clippers i was saying GSW was the best team in the Pac Div....so, yeah...

Find me a link from a national source that said the Warriors were going to win the Denver series please.

Bleacnerreport predictions on the series tries to be in the middle:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1610176-game-by-game-predictions-for-golden-state-warriors-series-with-denver-nuggets

SB Nation - Nuggets heavily favored

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/20/4241062/nba-playoff-predictions-2013-nuggets-warriors

USA Today - Nuggets

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/playoffs/2013/04/18/denver-nuggets-vs-golden-state-warriors-series-preview/2091839/

Spurs kinda have "talent" too, you know. And they've been playing a looooong time together.

Don't buy what Ed said about the Warriors with a mannequin coach taking it as far as they did.

There's been so many teams in the past that have had a great team on paper (read: good talent) that have failed miserably.

Ed, you're completely wrong on this one. Mark Jackson is not a great coach (yet), but he did a "great job".

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Also Jack's biggest flaw was overdribbling and not hitting the open man.

I got to go to game 4, and the woman sitting behind me spent the entire game yelling at Jack to pass the ball. When he went iso and chucked up that brick at the end of regulation, she damn near stormed the court. He is a black hole, though. If he gets the ball, then he's gonna dribble around until he throw up an elbow jumper.

For the first time since Riley took over a 39-43 team in 1991, they had gone backward. In his first three seasons, they had gone from 51 victories to 60 to Game 7 of last spring's NBA finals. But this season, with 32-year-old Patrick Ewing and 31-year-old Charles Oakley hobbled by injuries, they sagged to second in the Atlantic Division--the first time in 13 seasons a Riley-coached team had not finished first--and were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs.

2010 NBA Draft -- Second Round

#38 - NYK - Andy Rautins - Syracuse University
    #39 - NYK - Landry Fields - Stamford University
    #40 - IND - Lance Stephenson - University of Cincinnati

Tyson Chandler - 1st Team All-NBA Defensive - 2012/13

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Talking shit about kids is fucked up...so a preemptive apology for that...

Now that I got that out of the way...what are the odds that this kid grows up to be a monumental douche bag of unquantifiably epic proportions?

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    JectWon said:
    what are the odds that this kid grows up to be a monumental douche bag of unquantifiably epic proportions?

I would tend to agree under almost any other cicumstance. However I've read he suffers from a condtion called neurofibromatosis, which causes tumors to grow in the body at any time. So I'd have to give him a pass... His father is the one pulling the strings, running the show, and obviously choosing his wardrobe.

This is who I initially thought of when I first saw him though.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    [Part I]
    This Indiana/Miami series should just be the Finals. I could care less who came out of the Western Conference at this point because I don't believe they could beat either of these teams. That and the fact that these playoffs, although entertaining, are taking forrrrrrever. These players are obviously gassed by the time it hits game 4-5. At this pace it'll be July by the time the season wraps up.

[Part II]
    Anyone else question the Pacer's coaching decisions in the last minutes of regulation and OT? Sitting Hibbert, your biggest defensive threat in the post, on the most important possession(s) of the game? Either he is that unorthodox of a coach or I call BS... What an anti-climatic ending to a great game from a fan with no affiliations to either team.