What? No NBA 2012-2013 Thread Yet?

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• pcmr said:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    LA finally focused, finally above 500, and in the 8th spot currently.

Still not out of the woods with a bunch of road games and tough closing month, but if they make the playoffs, it's gonna be fun.

Dahntay Jones undercuts Kobe in the final minutes and leaves him with a severely sprained ankle injury. Bad for the Lakers, but Kobe's post-game interview is lol #BLACK MAMBA #Pure comedy #badass

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Anyone watching this Bulls/Heat game? Looks like the Bulls might end this W streak. Bulls up by 7 at home. 4 minutes left in the 4th.

I can't call it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Now we can move on.

batmon said:
    Now we can move on.

If I was a Heat fan, I'd be relieved. Who gives a shit about regular season win streaks?...Stack rings on rings on rings.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    Now we can move on.

If I was a Heat fan, I'd be relieved. Who gives a shit about regular season win streaks?...Stack rings on rings on rings.

Imo, beating that record would have been fucking amazing and I wish they did it.

Jeff Van Gundy was saying that if you asked the players which they would prefer: Break the record or win a championship, they would all certainly say championship. But he went on to say (to the amazement of Mike Breen) that he thinks the streak should be top of the list. To win a championship, you only need to get to the playoffs, beat 4 different teams and win 16 games. And it's something that one team does every single year. otoh, if you beat the 33 record, it's much more difficult to accomplish and you'll probably be in the record books for good. Or at least until you die.

If I had a gun to my head, Id probably choose championship too, but he has a point...

mattB said:
    JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    Now we can move on.

Imo, beating that record would have been fucking amazing and I wish they did it.

Jeff Van Gundy was saying that if you asked the players which they would prefer: Break the streak or win a championship, they would all certainly say championship. But he went on to say (to the amazement of Mike Breen) that he thinks the streak should be top of the list. To win a championship, you only need to get to the playoffs, beat 4 different teams and win 16 games. And it's something that one team does every single year. otoh, if you beat the 33 record, it's a much more difficult to accomplish and you'll probably be in the record books for good. Or at least until you die.

If I had a gun to my head, Id probably choose championship too, but he has a point...

It's a great point. I think he's right.

I just don't know how memorable you'd be for it. I had no idea about that streak or what team accomplished it until the Heat started approaching it and the analysts started talking about it. Granted, I don't watch a lot of NBA hoop.

Regular season streaks are somewhat impressive, but the intensity level of the Playoffs is whole 'nother level.

And game to game strategic adjustments dont happen in the regular season.
    Dusting off some sub 500 team w/ their injured rookie star on the bench aint shit.

Fuckin Rockets had a 22 game win streak, won 55 games total, and got knocked the fuck out in the FIRST round.

Aint no banner, ring or White House visit for a streak. Just goofy media cats prompted to fan the flames for news.

And if yall been watching, despite the streak these last 10 or so games Miami has been looking suspect despite pulling out Ws.

Denver is the more interesting late season story IMO.

batmon said:

And if yall been watching, despite the streak these last 10 or so games Miami has been looking suspect despite pulling out Ws.

Yeah. The Cav's game was real suspect. 25 point deficit at one point, I think? I think the Celtics game was a little weird too. No Rondo and no Garnett.

All that being said, I think they look like they have what it takes to outplay teams in a playoff setting...they will most likely have bad games but the law of averages that a series allows for will probably play in their favor.

Who could realistically beat them in the East? I guess the Bulls?

EDIT: Watching Lebron try and check Boozer was pretty fucking funny....Lebron is a big dude and Boozer didn't budge.

JectWon said:
    I don't watch a lot of NBA hoop.

batmon said:
    JectWon said:
    I don't watch a lot of NBA hoop.

Jfc, and?

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    In my opinion the streak would be awesome if it was just Bron with the Cavs because he would have been the center piece the team was built around( think Jordan with the Bulls). But it's the Heat with Bosh, Wade, Bron, add Allen to the mix and you have a dominating team. Why be so surprised about the streak? With all the money spent on aquiring them this is what the organization paid for, the team just started "clicking" the year before last now they should reap the benefits of money well spent from here on out.

gomez80 said:
    In my opinion the streak would be awesome if it was just Bron with the Cavs because he would have been the center piece the team was built around( think Jordan with the Bulls). But it's the Heat with Bosh, Wade, Bron, add Allen to the mix and you have a dominating team. Why be so surprised about the streak? With all the money spent on aquiring them this is what the organization paid for, the team just started "clicking" the year before last now they should reap the benefits of money well spent from here on out.

Jordan played w/ 3 Hall Of Famers.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    But he didn't start with three HOF'ers they were picked up by the organization and became HOF'ers as their career grew, true?

gomez80 said:
    But he didn't start with three HOF'ers they were picked up by the organization and became HOF'ers as their career grew, true?

As far as supporting cast is concerned who do you think has more help Lebron's 2012 Heat or the Bulls 97-98 squad? Bought, drafted, acquired or otherwise...

Harper - Chalmers
    Jordan - wade / lebron
    Pippen - wade/ lebron
    Rodman - Bosh
    Longley - Haslem

It's debatable but it seems to me that Jordan had significantly more help.

gomez80 said:

George Gervin was already the man by the time Jordan joined the Bulls. He kept them afloat the season Jordan broke his foot and returned for the Playoffs.

Rodman had 2 rings already from his Detroit and didnt need Jordan & Chicago to validate his career.

Pippen Joined in 1987. Jordan in 1984. Jordan hadnt accomplished much in the Playoffs until Pippen entered the fray.

Do u think the Bulls were Jordan and a bunch of regular guys like the LeBron era Cavs?

• would we have even known about this streak if it were the spurs?

I mean, even though I personally don't care for them. they are the most criminally underrated team in the last decade.

it's just as boring to talk about them as it is to watch them play.

Werent Bosh and James FREE Agents? What money was spent acquiring them?

Its not like Miami was some dominate team that added 2 stars right?
    Dudes joined Wade as FREE Agents...

This is 101 shit.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I am under no illusion that even a Rose-included Bulls squad would crumble against the Heat in a seven-game set. Yet yesterday's win was so delicious and one in which some of my friends were calling our "championship" more than a week before it the game. I almost scared myself how happy I felt to see dudes like Kirk "Kurt" Heinrich and Jimmy Butler and Luol Deng taking down a juggernaut. This without Rose, Noah, even Belinelli. But even without Marco we stay Belinized just like Def Leppard stays Adrenalized. The win means nothing and everything.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Ok, I see where you guys are coming from now and I can see where my defense would fall apart. I just don't think the streak holds any significance to me still because of the money spent to win those games and ring. It's kinda of like the Yankees arguement to me sometimes, the same could have been said about the Celtics during the big three era, no?

gomez80 said:
    Ok, I see where you guys are coming from now and I can see where my defense would fall apart. I just don't think the streak holds any significance to me still because of the money spent to win those games and ring. It's kinda of like the Yankees arguement to me sometimes, the same could have been said about the Celtics during the big three era, no?

That's the popular perception but I don't see it that way. All teams are technically trying to buy a championship. NBA has a cap. If you exceed that cap your franchise is 'fined' or 'charged' a luxury tax.

Since getting Lebron, the Heat have paid $6,129,340 in luxury tax penalties...in that time, the Lakers paid $32,481,036...the Mavs paid $21,656,679 (an organization that no one claims to have 'bought' a ring)...Orlando paid $20+mil in 2011...Toronto paid roughly $5mil...

So...there are multiple teams that are flexing capital to "buy" a team and pay any luxury tax consequence...hell, almost all but 7 teams have paid some type of luxury tax for breaching slary cap since 2002.

Some just do it better...and all would do so every year if they had the market, fan base, deep pockets to do so.

But the Heat are not the worst culprits at all. They have just been successful with it as of lately and people wanna hate Lebron.

Using them as a poster child for why the soft cap is a fucking joke in the NBA would be a better argument than just saying they are the worst offender because they aren't even close.

I don't really have a problem with the soft cap/luxury tax being twerked by teams with deep pockets as much as I just fucking HATE how long the seasons are....last season's shortened length was awesome, imo.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Batmon- As I was typing my last reply you already posted about Bron and Bosh being FA and you are right, that is why I said my defense would crumble about the Jordan arguement.

Jectwon- You make a great point about the luxury tax, maybe I have a case of Bron hate, who knows?

But remeber you are talking to a guy who roots for the Portland Trailblazers, we always trying to "rebuild", lol

gomez80 said:
    But remeber you are talking to a guy who roots for the Portland Trailblazers, we always trying to "rebuild", lol

Well w/ Dillard, Batum, Hickson and Aldridge u NOW can start again. Yall need some more pieces.

Yall are cursed or something. Or your doctors disregard the paperwork or something.

Youll be alright.

gomez80 said:

I hear you...but even they have paid out over $35mil in luxury taxes (again due to over spending the cap) since 2002.

As a Bullets fan (fuck that Wizards shit), I've been watching my team "re-build" since I was a little dude...

Wow...I didn't notice that the final nail in the coffin came with a slap from Nate!

Dude literally does a text book finger roll and then has the air time to slap Lebron....wow.

Wizards 16-12 since February..Glad to see they are winning some ball games now. Like I've said before, they have potential to be a good team.

John Wall = is it the shoes? Dude is kinda focused right now.

yuichi said:
    Wizards 16-12 since February..Glad to see they are winning some ball games now. Like I've said before, they have potential to be a good team.

John Wall = is it the shoes? Dude is kinda focused right now.

I agree.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This the rite thraed for the Westbrook slideshow? There's some ensuing comedy, including Durrant saying that he calls Rus "Sasha Fierce".

http://espn.go.com/espn/photos/gallery/_/id/9121923/image/1/russell-westbrook-russell-westbrook