If you had to put a label on the greatest American Rock 'N Roll band...

Comments

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    BallzDeep said:
    Even we we do classify Funkadelic as ROCK, they weren't popular enough to be GOAT. I think popularity is a huge factor.

They weren't popular with whife folks, you mean.

Because in the hood in the mid-late 70s, the whole P-Funk empire may as well have been the black version of Kiss.

True.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Funkadelic can definitely be classed as rock, more so than funk, imo. Isleys, not so much.

Rolling Stone did a feature on the Isleys in '78, when the band was at its' most rock-influenced and Ernie Isley was giving Robin Trower serious competition. The band bitched openly about not being able to get airplay on FM rock stations. And this was before the "Disco Sucks" movement. Some rock stations still had Stevie Wonder's 70s records in rotation, so it wasn't totally unreasonable for the Isleys to think they belonged in that pantheon.

Now, I'm almost sure they didn't view themselves as a rock band. But there was a period in the 70s when the more progressive black acts did get limited play on the FM rock stations. "Live It Up" would sound great in the middle of a set featuring (for example) the Steve Miller Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Boston, Trower, Nugent, etc..

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    Horseleech said:
    BallzDeep said:
    Horseleech said:
    BallzDeep said:
    You can't put Funkadelic and the Isleys in ROCK.
    I know they rocked out sometimes but they're funk/soul/r&b.
    Basically do you think they referred to themselves as ROCK bands?
    No.

Yes.

Funkadelic most definitely referred to themselves as a rock band, do your read ups.

I wonder then to whom the song "who says a funk band can't play rock" is referring.

Parliament.

Please stop with the nonsense.

Settle down, Francis. It's the internet.
    Do you file Funkadelic records under SOUL/FUNK/R&B or ROCK at Academy?

Where I file them is irrelevant.

You said that they did not consider themselves a rock band. The fact is that they referred to themselves as a rock band over and over again in dozens of interviews I have read, from the beginning up until now.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    bassie said:
    I think this has become private mind gardened enough for me to throw Big Star in.

Have you checked this out...looks like it will be pretty good
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigstarstory/big-star-nothing-can-hurt-me

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    PENTAGRAM

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Funkadelic can definitely be classed as rock, more so than funk, imo. Isleys, not so much.

Rolling Stone did a feature on the Isleys in '78, when the band was at its' most rock-influenced and Ernie Isley was giving Robin Trower serious competition. The band bitched openly about not being able to get airplay on FM rock stations. And this was before the "Disco Sucks" movement. Some rock stations still had Stevie Wonder's 70s records in rotation, so it wasn't totally unreasonable for the Isleys to think they belonged in that pantheon.

Now, I'm almost sure they didn't view themselves as a rock band. But there was a period in the 70s when the more progressive black acts did get limited play on the FM rock stations. "Live It Up" would sound great in the middle of a set featuring (for example) the Steve Miller Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Boston, Trower, Nugent, etc..

Did White FM Radio support the 3 + 3 album or at least Who's That Lady or was that just a Black hit?

And were they still in the suit and tie fashion mode when Jimi lived w/ them? Mid sixties since Jimi EXP is '66

batmon said:
    pickwick33 said:

Did White FM Radio support the 3 + 3 album or at least Who's That Lady or was that just a Black hit?

And were they still in the suit and tie fashion mode when Jimi lived w/ them? Mid sixties since Jimi EXP is '66

I remember "harvest for the world" being on rock radio here in Memphis.

The_Hook_Up said:

I remember "harvest for the world" being on rock radio here in Memphis.
    In 1972, with the inclusion of younger brothers Ernie and Marvin and brother-in-law Chris Jasper added to the group, the band recorded Brother, Brother, Brother, which spawned three hit singles including "Lay-Away", "Pop That Thang" and "Work to Do". Due to this success and their first album to blur the sounds of soul music and rock music as well as the burgeoning funk genre, this led to the group becoming a sextet.
    After their Buddah contract expired, Epic Records agreed to distribute their next recordings. Inspired by the group's new lineup, the band issued the aptly-titled, 3 + 3 album in 1973. The album boasted the rock hit, "That Lady", which was itself a remake of the brothers' 1960s single albeit with different lyrics provided by Ernie Isley. The record peaked at #6 pop. Their cover of Seals & Crofts' "Summer Breeze" later became a top ten hit on the UK charts. Due to this, the album became a million-seller and was the brothers' first album to go platinum as did its 1974 follow-up, Live It Up, which included the hits "Midnight Sky", the Todd Rundgren cover of "Hello It's Me" and the title track.

I guess so.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    One thing we can agree on(I think) the greatest era for rock(worldwide) had to be the first half of the 70s...the list of LPs you can compile is ridiculous, from the mainstream to the underground...just a few of my faves of the era:

Alice Cooper "Love it to Death"
    Alice Cooper "Killer"
    Blue Oyster Cult s/t
    Blue Oyster Cult "Tyranny and Mutation"
    Blue Oyster Cult "Secret Treaties"
    Ramones S/T
    Dictators "Go Girl Crazy"
    Black Sabbath S/T
    Black Sabbath "Paranoid"
    Black Sabbath "Master of Reality"
    Black Sabbath "Vol 4"
    Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"
    Lynyrd Skynyrd "Nothin' Fancy"
    Lynyrd Skynyrd "Pronounced..."
    Stooges "Funhouse"
    Iggy and the Stooges "Raw Power"
    Poobah "Let Me In"
    Funkadelic "Maggot Brain"
    Led Zeppelin S/T
    Led Zeppelin II
    Led Zeppelin III
    Led Zeppelin IV
    Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy
    Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti
    Kiss "Hotter Than Hell"
    Kiss "Dressed to Kill"
    Kiss "Alive"
    James Gang "Rides Again"
    Grand Funk S/T
    Grand Funk "Closer to Home"
    MC5 "Back in the USA"
    MC5 "HIgh Time"
    Deep Purple "In Rock"
    Deep Purple "Fireball"
    Deep Purple "Machine Head"
    AC/DC "High Voltage"
    AC/DC "Dirty Deeds"
    ZZ Top "1st Album"
    ZZ Top "Rio Grande Mud"
    ZZ Top "Tres Hombres"
    Toad S/T
    Toad "Tomorrow Blue"
    Three Man Army S/T
    Three Man Army "Third of a Lifetime"
    Bang S/T
    Hawkwind "Space Ritual"
    Hawkwind "Hall of the Moutain Grill"
    Mountain "Climbling"
    Mountain "Nantucket Sleigh Ride"
    Pink Fairies "Never Neverland"
    Pink Fairies "What A Bunch of Sweeties"
    Pink Fairies "Kings of Oblivian"
    John Lennon "Plastic Ono Band"
    Pink Floyd "Meddle"
    David Bowie "The Man Who Saved The World"
    David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust"
    David Bowie "Hunky Dory"
    CCR "Cosmos Factory"
    CCR "Pendulum"
    New York Dolls S/T
    New York Dolls "Too Much Too Soon"
    Jerusalem S/T
    Tractor S/T
    Blue Cheer "The Original Human Being"

lots more, but Im tired of typing

No Bad Company :question:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Nevermind.

jjfad027 said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    One thing we can agree on(I think) the greatest era for rock(worldwide) had to be the first half of the 70s...the list of LPs you can compile is ridiculous, from the mainstream to the underground...just a few of my faves of the era:

Alice Cooper "Love it to Death"
    Alice Cooper "Killer"
    Blue Oyster Cult s/t
    Blue Oyster Cult "Tyranny and Mutation"
    Blue Oyster Cult "Secret Treaties"
    Ramones S/T
    Dictators "Go Girl Crazy"
    Black Sabbath S/T
    Black Sabbath "Paranoid"
    Black Sabbath "Master of Reality"
    Black Sabbath "Vol 4"
    Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"
    Lynyrd Skynyrd "Nothin' Fancy"
    Lynyrd Skynyrd "Pronounced..."
    Stooges "Funhouse"
    Iggy and the Stooges "Raw Power"
    Poobah "Let Me In"
    Funkadelic "Maggot Brain"
    Led Zeppelin S/T
    Led Zeppelin II
    Led Zeppelin III
    Led Zeppelin IV
    Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy
    Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti
    Kiss "Hotter Than Hell"
    Kiss "Dressed to Kill"
    Kiss "Alive"
    James Gang "Rides Again"
    Grand Funk S/T
    Grand Funk "Closer to Home"
    MC5 "Back in the USA"
    MC5 "HIgh Time"
    Deep Purple "In Rock"
    Deep Purple "Fireball"
    Deep Purple "Machine Head"
    AC/DC "High Voltage"
    AC/DC "Dirty Deeds"
    ZZ Top "1st Album"
    ZZ Top "Rio Grande Mud"
    ZZ Top "Tres Hombres"
    Toad S/T
    Toad "Tomorrow Blue"
    Three Man Army S/T
    Three Man Army "Third of a Lifetime"
    Bang S/T
    Hawkwind "Space Ritual"
    Hawkwind "Hall of the Moutain Grill"
    Mountain "Climbling"
    Mountain "Nantucket Sleigh Ride"
    Pink Fairies "Never Neverland"
    Pink Fairies "What A Bunch of Sweeties"
    Pink Fairies "Kings of Oblivian"
    John Lennon "Plastic Ono Band"
    Pink Floyd "Meddle"
    David Bowie "The Man Who Saved The World"
    David Bowie "Ziggy Stardust"
    David Bowie "Hunky Dory"
    CCR "Cosmos Factory"
    CCR "Pendulum"
    New York Dolls S/T
    New York Dolls "Too Much Too Soon"
    Jerusalem S/T
    Tractor S/T
    Blue Cheer "The Original Human Being"

lots more, but Im tired of typing

No Bad Company :question:

The only Paul Rodgers thing I listen to is Free "Tons of Sobs", keep in mind I prefaced the list as "my faves", not meant to be THE list...I could have added that, Fleetwood Mac, Groundhogs...on and on and on

batmon said:

Yep. I don't think they were out of that mode until 1969, and even then, it was gradual.

Even though "It's Your Thing" signified a new direction, judging from this album cover they hadn't quite gotten psychedelicized just yet:

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the answer is ZZ TOP y'all.

with the only one givin them a close run for the money - the mutha fuckin JAMES GANG

cant believe walsh isnt in this thread. .the man SOLD jimmy page his les paul fer petes sake!

and speakin of bands i cant beleive im not seeing here

DINOSAUR JR

private mind garden - Kyuss

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    CCR. Suzie Q, long version, best night driving song eva!

So there are no contenders since Grunge and them?

batmon said:
    So there are no contenders since Grunge and them?

Not a huge fave of mine but, White Stripes?

This new crop of self-consciously 'quirky' bands like Arcade Fire or Vampire Weekend are horrible to me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Pavement was a great band, but we're talking GOAT in here.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Meanwhile, in a parallel rock message board universe, they are debating 'Greatest American funk band evarrr' and dudes are making a superficially coherent case for Molly Hatchet.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    skel said:
    Meanwhile, in a parallel rock message board universe, they are debating 'Greatest American funk band evarrr' and dudes are making a superficially coherent case for Molly Hatchet.

Dude, everyone knows the Chili Peppers are the greatest funk band evar.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    bassie said:
    I think this has become private mind gardened enough for me to throw Big Star in.

Have you checked this out...looks like it will be pretty good
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigstarstory/big-star-nothing-can-hurt-me

Yes! I was hoping it would be screening at NXNE here in Toronto in a couple of weeks, but it's not on the schedule.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    No one mentioned Steve Miller yet? Oooohhh. But maybe he's a league of his own.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    asstro said:
    skel said:

Dude, everyone knows the Chili Peppers are the greatest funk band evar.

No, it's the Dan.

Have you even heard 'The Fez'?
    Funk??
    Wally and Donny practically invented that shit.

• So what I've learned from this thread:

1. I need to give more love to Mountain and ZZ Top.

2. I underrated Van Halen but I wonder if the Van Halen peeps are the ones that were teenagers in their height (I was still a little young).

3. People think the Isley's and Parliament are rock acts.

I'm really digging the CCR nomination. They embody everything about America in the form of rock.

I always though Funkadelic was the Rock side and Parliment the Funk side.

The Isleys did Rock, Funk, Disco, Soul, and R&B. Their versatility shouldnt omit them from the competition.

Their early contributions helped fuel Rock-N-Roll before Rock came into being.

What I have learned from this thread:

- Apparently the irrational love of ZZ Top extends beyond the middle aged members of guitar forums. I am baffled.

- Black Rock acts can't even get full credit on the Strut, so there is officially no hope of them getting credit elsewhere.

- Soul Strutters definitely do not party anymore if they cannot recognize the greatness of DLR era Van Halen. Case closed.

skel said:

Bad example. Funkadelic and the Isleys are much more convincing as rockers than Molly Hatchet were as funksters.

At least the former two bands have recognizably rockish elements. I'm quite sure Molly Hatchet never tried to get on The One.

batmon said:

I've read that, too, but I don't hear much of a difference. Parliament's Osmium might as well be early 70s Funkadelic with cleaner production.

Maybe the Parliaments were more soulish, but as soon as they depluralized their name, all bets were off - there was hardly any diff at all, IMO.

pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

I've read that, too, but I don't hear much of a difference. Parliament's Osmium might as well be early 70s Funkadelic with cleaner production.

Maybe the Parliaments were more soulish, but as soon as they depluralized their name, all bets were off - there was hardly any diff at all, IMO.

Wasn't the name change to Funkadelic due to Holland/Dozier/Holland owning the name Parliament, or at least Parliament being under contract with Invictus therefore they had to record under a different name for Westbound? When they had the right to the name they then made the distinction between the 2...Funkadelic continued the rock end of things and Parliament the funk/dance end of things for records...hence going by Parkiament/Funkadelic then ultimately P-Funk for live performances. Or I might be completely wrong.

The_Hook_Up said:
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

Wasn't the name change to Funkadelic due to Holland/Dozier/Holland owning the name Parliament, or at least Parliament being under contract with Invictus therefore they had to record under a different name for Westbound? When they had the right to the name they then made the distinction between the 2...Funkadelic continued the rock end of things and Parliament the funk/dance end of things for records...hence going by Parkiament/Funkadelic then ultimately P-Funk for live performances. Or I might be completely wrong.

That's pretty much it, and Pickwick is tripping if he can't hear the difference, because they don't sound alike at all (Osmium is an anomaly that predates the split).

For one, there's barely any horns on any Funkadelic records, and the horn charts are a huge part of the Parliament sound. There's virtually no guitar solos on Parliament records, and the guitars are of course a big part of Funkadelic.

Do you really think Mothership Connection sounds like Maggot Brain?

I'm pretty sure Clinton says outright on one of those "History Of Rock" series that came out in the 90's, the rule was no horns on Funkadelic records and no guitar solos on Parliament.