If you had to put a label on the greatest American Rock 'N Roll band...

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ZZ Top? Van Halen?

Still waiting for something that measures up to Led Zep, the Stones, Floyd, Sabbath, Cream, and the odd Beatles track.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It hath been tooken there.

Hendrix is contentious in that two thirds of the band were Brits, he got discovered here, and there's some wrangling about if he developed his image as a result of the scene over here... but I'll leave that as a great example of cross-pollination done right like umm, Fleetwood Mac?

All sorts of reasons are given for the Briddish invasion, usually based on the mood of America, but maybe some of those Brit bands were just better than their American counterparts?

Awaits teh flame & teh red matter.

Oh, and no love for The Doors?

Cue: Rock with Lonnie Donegan jibe, LW on sme b-b-b-but Chuck Berry invented that shit and various dudes on some LZ stole whole lotta love tip

Which will be completely missing the point as usual and entirely yawnsome.

Damn you Duder.
    Damn your eyes sah.
    Get back to the mini-skirts and typing pool yo.

I forgot The Kinks... are they rock'n'roll, [strike]or should they be ignored because that was during the British invasion when all talented American rock acts were abroad fighting communism?[/strike]

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    Even if you or I or George or Eddie or whoever thinks that Funkadelic was a great rock band, can anyone really say that Funkadelic was a better rock band than they were a funk band?

I think they kicked ass both ways..
    I agree wholeheartedly, but that's not really the question.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    When it comes to loud guitars, I fancy myself an Anglophile...but get the fuck outta here with that Cream shit...a band that featured the 2 most overrated players in all of rock history. Fuck them, they suck. Just Jack Bruce up there playing and singing by himself would be much more entertaining. God I hate Cream. The best thing they did was call a song, via acronym, "She was like a bearded rainbow", other than that...did I mention they suck?

Take that shit to mostoverratedrockbands.com

Agreed.

Let's replace Cream with Mot??rhead.

skel said:
    Agreed.

Let's replace Cream with Mot??rhead.

Yes.

I think we can all agree that lemmy is the greatest rocker of all time. There is no one alive today that embodies what rock n roll is more than Mr. Kilmister...

BTW here is a great British guitarist in league with Clapton:

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    james said:

Because we can sit here and point to Aspirational Clinton Quote X or Eddie Hazel Riff Y and say "See?! See?! Right there! Right there! That's rock!" and maybe cobble together a twenty- or thirty- or whatever-percent share to file under "ROCK," but when looked at in the context of things like, you know, Lyrics, and Rhythms, and Subject Matter, and Phrasing, and Presentation, and The Other Seventy Percent Of The Music They Ever Released, I think the wrongheadedness of trying to contain them within The Rock Conversation becomes clear.

Pretty much what I said, but in classic james style - thorough elaboration.

And Hook,
    why all the Cream hate? Clapton wasn't yet overrated was he? Or maybe he was with the Clapton Is God thing. Still, at least a decent classic rock band.

To be fair I'm not Cream fan either, but they seem to be part of 'the cannon'.
    Would go with Radiohead over Cream, and they're not even that rock'n'roll.

BallzDeep said:
    james said:

Because we can sit here and point to Aspirational Clinton Quote X or Eddie Hazel Riff Y and say "See?! See?! Right there! Right there! That's rock!" and maybe cobble together a twenty- or thirty- or whatever-percent share to file under "ROCK," but when looked at in the context of things like, you know, Lyrics, and Rhythms, and Subject Matter, and Phrasing, and Presentation, and The Other Seventy Percent Of The Music They Ever Released, I think the wrongheadedness of trying to contain them within The Rock Conversation becomes clear.

Pretty much what I said, but in classic james style - thorough elaboration.

And Hook,
    why all the Cream hate? Clapton wasn't yet overrated was he? Or maybe he was with the Clapton Is God thing. Still, at least a decent classic rock band.

they are the prime example of mediocre IMO. They were the RC to Hendrix's Coca-Cola. Just so boring. Shit, a band named after a Cream song, Toad, was a 1000x better than them. Just nothing there to sink your teeth into, yet they are always mentioned in "great power trios" discussions. True, they might have been one of the first, but doesn't mean they were great at it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Van Halen is as good as any of the British invasion bands, period.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Say word...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    james said:
    pickwick33 said:
    Even if you or I or George or Eddie or whoever thinks that Funkadelic was a great rock band, can anyone really say that Funkadelic was a better rock band than they were a funk band?

I think they kicked ass both ways..
    I agree wholeheartedly, but that's not really the question.

With all due respect, that's a question I wouldn't have asked. Their name is Funkadelic, right? They've got the groove to make you shake ass, and they're just heavy enough to make you play air guitar in the bedroom. Best of both worlds, I'd say.

HarveyCanal said:

Does that include the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? The Kinks?

...................................................................................................

Is Van Halen as good as the The Who?

Yes, dude. Obviously, if you grew up listening to their albums religiously like so many here in this country did. Seriously, listen to their albums I through 1984 in full and tell me that they aren't as genius as anything in rock history.

HarveyCanal said:
    Yes, dude. Obviously, if you grew up listening to their albums religiously like so many here in this country did. Seriously, listen to their albums I through 1984 in full and tell me that they aren't as genius as anything in rock history.

I have yet to do that. I'll put aside my preconceptions and give some of them a go, but not sure I'll manage the lot.

kinks ftw

Yeah ok Harvey, VH beats all those bands hands down.

::whoknew::

skel said:
    Yeah ok Harvey, VH beats all those bands hands down.

::whoknew::

Y'all are hanging on to some ancient history that hasn't resonated the way y'all wish it to in a looooong time.

In fact, it's downright ignorant for y'all at this point to still be dismissing Van Halen as not on the same level as your so-called untouchables.

Dude above you says he hasn't even listened to Van Halen. But then throws darts at them all the same.

The wackness.

Comes out fighting knowing that the GOATs of Van Halen are always there, ready to be pulled out of the back pocket at any time to trump your Who, Kinks, Stones, Beatles, whatever.

Y'hear that Duder?
    Huh? Huh??!?!?

Now walk away son, take it like a man.

I know tons of dudes who fully appreciate the Beatles, Stones, Who, and Kinks but could never go all in due to their Britishness (which was something they could hear in the music, whether that be singing accent or something broader in the style of When I'm 64...what do y'all call that crap?). They were steady jamming Van Halen without reservation though.

I mean, do you argue that Keith Richards or Pete Townsend, or even Eric Clapton or Jimmy Page for that matter, was a better guitarist than Eddie V.?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Not for argument, just enjoyment:

I prefer Johnny Cummins to EVH.
    You try playing two hours of barre chords.

Anyways, great guitar players do not necessarily great bands make.

Cf Satriani

In fact, the GOAT real GOAT band Thin Lizzy had no player of outstanding virtuosity, a late surge by Moore and Sykes notwithstanding.

skel said:
    I prefer Johnny Cummins to EVH.
    You try playing two hours of barre chords.

Anyways, great guitar players do not necessarily great bands make.

Cf Satriani

In fact, the GOAT real GOAT band Thin Lizzy had no player of outstanding virtuosity, a late surge by Moore and Sykes notwithstanding.

Not true...Eric Bell is very underrated. Listen to "Son of Farmer"...very very good and more exciting than Clapton

Van Halen is the musical equivilent of a drinking a cold beer in the hot sun, of course the Union Jacks don't get it, they do the exact opposite.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    batmon said:
    So there are no contenders since Grunge and them?

BJM

Thin Lizzy is right up there with Van Halen in my opinion, so I'm cool with you shouting them out.

But Eddie Van Halen being a great guitar player is just the beginning of what makes Van Halen so good. He was lyrical with that instrument like no other. I was listening to the Fair Warning album just this morning and if you deduce their songs to just his playing, they are awesome just like that. David Lee Roth and the rhytm section simply add to that quality, making them very well rounded.

But again and again, the albums speak for themslves.

The_Hook_Up said:

Not true...Eric Bell is very underrated. Listen to "Son of Farmer"...very very good and more exciting than Clapton

I have him down as a very competent blues rocker, but in the final analysis not really what Lizzy needed by 73.

In fact he told me as much couple or three years back.