If you had to put a label on the greatest American Rock 'N Roll band...

14567810»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What in the world is the knock on ZZ Top?

I mean, who doesn't love ZZ Top?

Some of y'all are in some weird parallel universes for certain.

Do you even party?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I mean, who doesn't love ZZ Top?
    Truly, they are--to paraphrase Louis CK--the rock n' roll equivalent of fart jokes: You don't have to be smart to like them, but you'd have to be stupid not to.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I freely admit to not getting ZZ Top. In my defense I grew up with absolutely zero exposure to them other than the MTV stuff, so I only associate them with Sharp Dressed Man and terrible cover bands. Not the kind of thing that made me want to investigate the catalog. My rock fart joke taste runs more towards The Dickies. Or Motley Crue.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Why all the hatt for The Bad Boys From Boston? I think I sense more than a bit of Childhood Ownership of Pump remorse. You diss 70s Aerosmith, you diss yourself.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

C'mon dude...not even the best of their era, nor even their area code

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Who takes Status Quo and their 37 LP's of 90% crapola seriously??

April Wine fans?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Answer: no-one.

Alan Lancaster's sister was hot though. Lived about 8 doors down.
    Lynn was her name. 13yo's crush-R.

WMIC?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Honest question about The Doors - to me, they seemed to have the rock'n'roll ethos of drink, drugs, and womanising, but not the conventional lead-guitar dominated sound. To me that doesn't matter, and they are essentially a (Californian?) rock'n'roll band. Now have they been ignored because their sound is wrong ('60s hangover), or because they're not perceived to be that good (Morrison overshadows the music)?

And in case there's any hurt pride about US vs UK bands, imho Chuck Berry & Hendrix overshadow all UK output, but are kind of outside the boundaries of the OP (bands).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Honest question about The Doors - to me, they seemed to have the rock'n'roll ethos of drink, drugs, and womanising, but not the conventional lead-guitar dominated sound. To me that doesn't matter, and they are essentially a (Californian?) rock'n'roll band. Now have they been ignored because their sound is wrong ('60s hangover), or because they're not perceived to be that good (Morrison overshadows the music)?

Would you listen to The Doors without Morrison on top?

I think the more pertinent question would be: would you listen to Jim Morrison without the band?
    No.

Hendrix? Yes
    Chuck Berry? Yes

Morrison is definitely (an integral) part of The Doors for me.
    I wouldn't be mad at an instrumental of Riders On The Storm. Can hear why they might not fall into the scope of rock'n'roll though.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    And in case there's any hurt pride about US vs UK bands, imho Chuck Berry & Hendrix overshadow all UK output, but are kind of outside the boundaries of the OP (bands).

If I see anything more retarded than this on the Internet in the next 6 months I'll be astounded.

skel said:
    Duderonomy said:

If I see anything more retarded than this on the Internet in the next 6 months I'll be astounded.

I think I've got a particular idea of what rock'n'roll is... that is probably too narrow/not even on target. The Beatles are not a rnr band to me. Berry epitomises it to me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    skel said:
    Duderonomy said:

I think I've got a particular idea of what rock'n'roll is... that is probably too narrow/not even on target. The Beatles are not a rnr band to me. Berry epitomises it to me.

What are the Beatles then? Im ashamed of even responding.

[strike]Well, early Beatles are definitely rock'n'roll, but by the time they matured and found their own sound, it's not as clear cut for me. There's stuff on Sgt Pepper or the White album that, depending on where you sit, is either serious artistic xpression (experimenting with Gregorian chord progressions etc) instead of pop, or it's over-produced twaddle. Led Zep 1 is a RnR album, but no way would any band from America have made anything like 3, which has plenty of acoustic, very folky material, and pretty far from what I consider RnR (but also contains some decent Rock'n'Roll). I guess it comes down to what sound & influences you identify with a band for.[/strike]

I think I should've just left the final word with Rockadelic when he said UK stuff generally has a stronger blues influence... please to ignore my poasts.