If you had to put a label on the greatest American Rock 'N Roll band...

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Chuck Berry.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    skel said:
    Comes out fighting knowing that the GOATs of Van Halen are always there, ready to be pulled out of the back pocket at any time to trump your Who, Kinks, Stones, Beatles, whatever.

Y'hear that Duder?
    Huh? Huh??!?!?

Now JUMP away son, take it like a man.

Fixed. Obviously I have heard some Van Halen, their entire back catalogue - no. But yeah, JUMP is surely better than Zep. Or The Who. Or The Stones. Or The Beatles. Or Sabbath. Or Motorhead (sorry, no umlaut). Or George Formby.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    skel said:
    In fact, the GOAT real GOAT band Thin Lizzy had no player of outstanding virtuosity, a late surge by Moore and Sykes notwithstanding.

I don't know about 'outstanding virtuosity', but Brian Downy developed into a pretty kickass drummer.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    skel said:
    Comes out fighting knowing that the GOATs of Van Halen are always there, ready to be pulled out of the back pocket at any time to trump your Who, Kinks, Stones, Beatles, whatever.

Y'hear that Duder?
    Huh? Huh??!?!?

Now JUMP away son, take it like a man.

Fixed. Obviously I have heard some Van Halen, their entire back catalogue - no. But yeah, JUMP is surely better than Zep. Or The Who. Or The Stones. Or The Beatles. Or Sabbath. Or Motorhead (sorry, no umlaut). Or George Formby.

Jump is one single song, out of character for the band, where they playfully toyed with a keyboard...and scored as big a pop hit as just about anything by any of the bands you mentioned.

But yes, please go on doing ignorantly and self-servingly pompous to the hilt. We wouldn't expect anything different.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Not for argument, just enjoyment:

Oh, man. I remember back when this clip started making the rounds.

Seriously some of the best shit ever.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    james said:
    Horseleech said:
    Not for argument, just enjoyment:

Oh, man. I remember back when this clip started making the rounds.

Seriously some of the best shit ever.

I have the original footage dubbed straight form the station archives. Holler if you want a copy

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    skel said:
    Thin Lizzy had no player of outstanding virtuosity, a late surge by Moore and Sykes notwithstanding.

Thin Lizzy, we must remember, was led by a bass player. And they sounded like it.

I always find myself focusing on that instrument more than anything else, as far as Thin Lizzy is concerned.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's all good. We're 10 pages in and focusing on something that can unite the whole board.

A band led by a bassist; black, English born, with an Afro-Guyanese father. Raised Irish, with Scots and Irish band mates, even American in there, and drum breaks too!

An ultimate strut gestalt entity.

::group hug::

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    skel said:
    It's all good. We're 10 pages in and focusing on something that can unite the whole board.

A band led by a bassist; black, English born, with an Afro-Guyanese father. Raised Irish, with Scots and Irish band mates, even American in there, and drum breaks too!

An ultimate strut gestalt entity.

::group hug::

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Not for nothing - but heres some more material for your enjoyment - clearly this puts Funkadelic squarely in the number one spot for the category best dressed almost-a-rock-band-by-conventional-definitions-but-rocking-the-fuck-out-constantly-and-constantly-referring-to-themselves-as-rock, ever? These were their back up outifts!

I was a dancer on the Upbeat TV show from 1968 -1971 and was there the day this video footage was shot. The Funkadelic initially rehearsed the number dressed only in diapers. The show's director informed them that Upbeat was a family show and they couldn't perform in the "outfits". They changed??? into the attire that you see in the video clip.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    skel said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Not true...Eric Bell is very underrated. Listen to "Son of Farmer"...very very good and more exciting than Clapton

I have him down as a very competent blues rocker, but in the final analysis not really what Lizzy needed by 73.

In fact he told me as much couple or three years back.

Well, he underestimates his prowess then. I think he is great. I can understand Thin Lizzy not needing a drunk maniac like was at the time.

HarveyCanal said:

But yes, please go on doing ignorantly and self-servingly pompous to the hilt. We wouldn't expect anything different.

Glad to see a colonialist getting into the spirit of the Queen's jubilee by adopting teh Royal We. For the sake of taking this Van Halen nomination seriously, please suggest yootoobs of decent tracks a little deeper than Jump. Others have cosigned them, so what's good? Side-note; not a huge fan of guitar wankage, overall sound & songcraft rates higher for me, but shredding is a bonus.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I became familiar with the VH catalog(ue) BITD when my contemporaries were learning shredding moves. A time when foll and foll would be spending their entire summer breaks compiling their Ultimate RUSH Top 20s and revealing the contents thereof the night before school restarted. When Ch**s J**ns*n would be banging the back out of some dutty hoe whilst giving his Alex Lifeson poster the sly thumbs up. Things of that nature. I have sat through the upside-down drum solos. I have laughed heartily when the VCR was paused to show the worst Solo Faces.

No doubt VH was the soundtrack to a million trailer-park childhoods and kept the mullets in motion. But I would say KISS and Bon Jovi come harder down the final strai(gh)t of the Bongwater Derby. Dude, the guitar was like, talking!

The_Hook_Up said:
    Van Halen is the musical equivilent of a drinking a cold beer in the hot sun, of course the Union Jacks don't get it, they do the exact opposite.

And that beer would be a Bud.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    mullets in motion.

Good title for a B-movie. Or the title of an autobiography of a retired rock chick.

Continue.

J i m s t e r said:
    I became familiar with the VH catalog(ue) BITD when my contemporaries were learning shredding moves. A time when foll and foll would be spending their entire summer breaks compiling their Ultimate RUSH Top 20s and revealing the contents thereof the night before school restarted. When Ch**s J**ns*n would be banging the back out of some dutty hoe whilst giving his Alex Lifeson poster the sly thumbs up. Things of that nature. I have sat through the upside-down drum solos. I have laughed heartily when the VCR was paused to show the worst Solo Faces.

No doubt VH was the soundtrack to a million trailer-park childhoods and kept the mullets in motion. But I would say KISS and Bon Jovi come harder down the final strai(gh)t of the Bongwater Derby. Dude, the guitar was like, talking!

The_Hook_Up said:
    Van Halen is the musical equivilent of a drinking a cold beer in the hot sun, of course the Union Jacks don't get it, they do the exact opposite.

And that beer would be a Bud.

Wow you really have had the true rock n roll experience.

The fact you put "Wanted Deaf or Alive" in the same camp as "Unchained" is ridiculous. Shit, when I was 14 I knew the difference, and my house couldn't even be towed.

Funny, when I DJ'd once in Essex, (Chelmsford to be exact) there were some heavyweight UK funk DJs there...people like Ian Wright, Snowboy...and they themselves were ALL drinking Bud...a well-off British suburb...drinking Bud. Y'all drink it as much as we do. Sorry but you are no more sophisticated because you find American rock music to be some refuge of the American poor and uneducated and you had some dipshit friends that worshipped Rush. I really don't find your story to be accurate, because someone who had an Alex Lifeson poster could in no way "pull a bird".

The_Hook_Up said:
    some heavyweight UK funk DJs there...people like Ian Wright, Snowboy...and they themselves were ALL drinking Bud...a well-off British suburb...drinking Bud. Y'all drink it as much as we do. Sorry but you are no more sophisticated because you find American rock music to be some refuge of the American poor and uneducated and you had some dipshit friends that worshipped Rush.

Essex is very far removed from my local experience but really, heavyweight UK funk DJs should know better than to drink Bud, even if it was free.

I did not claim to be more sophisticated because I find American rock music to be some refuge of the American poor and uneducated - it's a refuge of the poor and uneducated over here too. Put on "Deaf or Alive" in our local and man and man will sing along. You would struggle to get them to yag Bud, doe.

2 and half pints of lager top at last orders or your (sic) soft-R.

Chelmsford!

Junior represent!

Or is it Colchester....
    One of the 'c's anyway.
    Actually there are a lot of 'c's in Essex.
    In fact, the place is full of 'em.

::

Could somebody just poast a decent VH track please? I don't care if it's as or not as good as Led Zep, I just want to hear what it is that puts them up there with the best.

The US vs Brit acts wasn't meant to spoil the vibe, just an observation as I wasn't sure how srs some of the nominees were.

LaserWolf said:
    Chuck Berry.

Well played sir!

I'll accept the Joe Walsh/ Jimmy P Gibson thing in lieu of a Whole Lotta Love bomb, now if we can just sight a Donegan dig Teh Circle is complete.

Duder, have you ever been to a rock gig?
    One of the behemoth acts.

Being at, say, a Moody/Marsden era Whitesnake gig was on some epiphany shit.

'Aint No Love In The Heart Of The City' with a few thousand doped and boozed denim-urchins was on par with necking an E and waving glow sticks to some euphoric two-minute synth pad chill out intermission at a rave.

But that heyday has passed, and we don't see the likes of a new Coverdale, a DLR, a Blackmore or a Halford on the horizon anytime soon.

I feel sad about that.
    And a little bit sad that you young bucks missed it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Could somebody just poast a decent VH track please?.

batmon said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Could somebody just poast a decent VH track please?.

I posted one as well on the very first page of this thread

J i m s t e r said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    some heavyweight UK funk DJs there...people like Ian Wright, Snowboy...and they themselves were ALL drinking Bud...a well-off British suburb...drinking Bud. Y'all drink it as much as we do. Sorry but you are no more sophisticated because you find American rock music to be some refuge of the American poor and uneducated and you had some dipshit friends that worshipped Rush.

Essex is very far removed from my local experience but really, heavyweight UK funk DJs should know better than to drink Bud, even if it was free.

I did not claim to be more sophisticated because I find American rock music to be some refuge of the American poor and uneducated - it's a refuge of the poor and uneducated over here too. Put on "Deaf or Alive" in our local and man and man will sing along. You would struggle to get them to yag Bud, doe.

2 and half pints of lager top at last orders or your (sic) soft-R.

I found it odd as well...I think my girlfriend at the time and I were the only ones in the club drinking pints of Fuller's. I asked why they were drinking it..."it's brilliant!". I was very confused.

Beer fashions come and go.

US beers not really on the scene for a long while.
    Japanese had a good run some years back. Sapporo in mad cans, Asahi, Kirin like FTW.
    Belgian has always had devotees, and Indian lagers still get love.
    I think Spanish is the current squeeze.
    San Miguel two thumbs up.

skel said:
    Beer fashions come and go.

US beers not really on the scene for a long while.
    Japanese had a good run some years back. Sapporo in mad cans, Asahi, Kirin like FTW.
    Belgian has always had devotees, and Indian lagers still get love.
    I think Spanish is the current squeeze.
    San Miguel two thumbs up.

Stella/San Mig/Estrella/Staropramen/Peroni =
    I walk these streets
    A loaded six-string on my back
    I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back
    I been everywhere, still, I'm standing tall
    I've seen a million faces
    And I've rocked them all

1664/Fosters/Carling/4% shit/Bud =
    Hey, my name is Jim, where did I go wrong
    My life's a bargain basement, all the good shit's gone
    I just can't hold a job, where do I belong
    I'm sleeping in my car, my dreams move on

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Someone please start a "Greatest Skiffle Band Of All Time" thread so the Brits have something they can actually take credit for.

b/w

"Co-Opting American Music Since Lonnie Donegan Got Stuck To A Bedpost"

BTW.....I'm just ribbing you guys...but BUDWEISER!!! God Save The Queen!

Yes.

The money shot.

All is well with the world.
    And the strut is getting some vibrancy back.
    Props to the usual mob who oil the wheels of threads and throw in beef and drop knowledge, provoke, opine and generally put head above parapet for the enjoyment of all.

And a random shout to downtownrobbrown, Staxwax and Ballzdeep among others for adding some recent zest.

::hug::

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    skel said:
    Yes.

The money shot.

All is well with the world.
    And the strut is getting some vibrancy back.
    Props to the usual mob who oil the wheels of threads and throw in beef and drop knowledge, provoke, opine and generally put head above parapet for the enjoyment of all.

And a random shout to downtownrobbrown, Staxwax and Ballzdeep among others for adding some recent zest.

::hug::

The Brits understand and embrace this concept much better than Yanks do.....Our country, for the most part, are a bunch of pussies with their fingers perpetually on the "Ban Button" and their sensitivities in terminal asshurt mode.

Cheers!

Listened to clips, not hearing Van Halen greatness. ZZ Top much better imho.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Listened to clips, not hearing Van Halen greatness. ZZ Top much better imho.

That you had never heard any Van Halen apart from Jump speaks volumes.

Still laughing at you earlier referencing..."back catalog".