What white people say about Kanye now

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    right from a conversation in the cafeteria here:

"I thought he was one of those 'white' black guys, he was so well spoken"

"yeah, now I cant take him seriously, that was the wrong forum for that arguemtn, now noone will take him seriously."

that is almost a direct quote. I pieced it together, but that is pretty much it.

So, what are the whiteys saying?

BTW...WERE THE PERSON(S)WHO SAID THIS MALE OR FEMALE ??

female

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Some of my peers have claimed that since Kanye decided to focus on the plight of black folks -- as opposed to blacks and whites -- that he's a racist.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Some of my peers have claimed that since Kanye decided to focus on the plight of black folks -- as opposed to blacks and whites -- that he's a racist.

did your friend look like this?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

"Kayne is racist!"[/b]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

WOW!

Neat-o.

that shit is trailblazing[/b].

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

BTW...WERE THE PERSON(S)WHO SAID THIS MALE OR FEMALE ??

female

i'm not suprised at all ..as i've said before, 99% of the time it's white women who say shit like that...no offense white ladies..just sayin',it is what it is

• P is for Pussy Politicians and P.A.P.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i'm not suprised at all ..as i've said before, 99% of the time it's white women who say shit like that...no offense white ladies..just sayin',it is what it is
    and we all know that's only because they're less likely to get their ass beat into the fucking ground than if a guy said it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    :

" he was so well spoken"

"Thats something you say about a retard that can talk"

Rock nailed it on the head!

not to get to over-liberal, but this comparrison makes you think about what the opinion on black people is by those that say things like "he speaks so well"

Hey Guzzo,

Speaking of your point, a research co-author of mine (also a Ph.D. holding brotha) was told "how well he spoke" at an opening luncheon of the annual conference of a (predominately White, mind you) national professional organization. Well hell, the brotha's a doctoral degree holding scholar. How would they expect him to speak? Like Buckweat or something? I was asked "where I was from" by some seemingly redneck parents after I gave a presentation about our major during the open house of our department (or school) this summer. I guess they were surprised that I could put a sentence together. Why would I be a professor if I couldn't?

It seems that some White folks (no offense to my White brethren) hold some really negative preconceptions about Blacks. Then again, people tend to perceive greater homogeneity among outgroup versus ingroup members (the old "those people are all the same" bias); however, Blacks have more cross-racial contact with Whites, than vice-versa (as recent study by Maria Krysan shows this to be the case, as have others). So, we have greater development of sub-types to describe Whites than vice-versa (although some Whites show this tendency too, those with less prejudicial racial attitudes). A general rule, though, is that ingroup variability is higher than between group variability, but most people unaware of this maxim. For instance, I am probably more similar to most of the people on this thread than most members of my race, as least social background-wise anyway. Feel me???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Heres a reverse angle approach to this thing. I've been told for most of my life that I speak with a "blaccent". God knows I've tried to correct my natural way of speaking and of course I mind the words and phrases that come out my mouth when I'm around certain people but fuck it it's the way I was raised it's the words I heard growing up, and its the speech I still hear today from most of my friends. Mind you I have one college degree and I am working on another and not only that but I considered myself to be ESL growing up (I learned American sign language first, and it was the primary language spoken at home) Now I've had people comment on how "dumb" or "funny" it sounds to hear me say certain things. It always made me wonder if those people would say those words are "dumb or "funny" if I was black. In other words does white America accept what they consider to be dumb & funny ways of speaking from people of color?

anyways I lost my train of thought and I'm late to a test...chew on that and buy some heatrocks

I'm out

-Adam

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    That's not worth chewing on.

• Man, real punks(even Green Day dudes) would be like 'dude, he didn't tell you the half! George Bush hates Black AND White people!"

agreed. well put.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

When has george bush ever shown any evidence that he cares about black people?

I'm going to go check fox now and see if I can find out if Whitey is saying anything.

In regards to "well spoken", I am betting an other line that many on this board have heard is, "Really, you are a ______ wow, your parents must be proud". Or some variation on that, like getting a non-janitorial job was some huge accomplishment. I hope that wasn't already in the Chris Rock routine.

Kanye was great for speaking out, but he is a long way from being another Ali. It is not inapropriate for, musicians, actors, athletes and fast food clerks to speak out, it is their civic duty. There is no wrong time or place to speak the truth or voice your opinion. (Accept your little sisters wedding, or something like that.)

We are all talking like we know what went down at that press confrence. The first question is who staged the press confrence. If it was Pepsi, and Pepsi said, no talking about NOLA or Bush or you will lose your contract, and then he got up there and kept saying, "I can't talk about that place, but I think you know the place, and I am going to that place that I can't say". Then he was taking some risks, and he was really talking about it and keeping the conversation going. I am sure the Pepsi (if it was Pepsi) press agent told him to say "no comment" when asked.

Oh yeah, I'm down with trying to live a somewhat sustainable lifestyle, and I think our consumer culture sucks.

Dan.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this makes a lot of sense.

It seems that some White folks (no offense to my White brethren) hold some really negative preconceptions about Blacks. Then again, people tend to perceive greater homogeneity among outgroup versus ingroup members (the old "those people are all the same" bias); however, Blacks have more cross-racial contact with Whites, than vice-versa (as recent study by Maria Krysan shows this to be the case, as have others). So, we have greater development of sub-types to describe Whites than vice-versa (although some Whites show this tendency too, those with less prejudicial racial attitudes). A general rule, though, is that ingroup variability is higher than between group variability, but most people unaware of this maxim. For instance, I am probably more similar to most of the people on this thread than most members of my race, as least social background-wise anyway. Feel me???

this, however, comes off as being over sensitive.

Speaking of your point, a research co-author of mine (also a Ph.D. holding brotha) was told "how well he spoke" at an opening luncheon of the annual conference of a (predominately White, mind you) national professional organization. Well hell, the brotha's a doctoral degree holding scholar. How would they expect him to speak? Like Buckweat or something? I was asked "where I was from" by some seemingly redneck parents after I gave a presentation about our major during the open house of our department (or school) this summer. I guess they were surprised that I could put a sentence together. Why would I be a professor if I couldn't?

i wasn't there to pick up on the whole context, but just from what you describe, i'd take the compliment and try not to filter it thru my "is this a racist comment" filter.
    by the way, i definitely had some professors at a couple different colleges who did not speak well and did have a hard time putting a coherent sentence together.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    There is no wrong time or place to speak the truth

• Sean Penn

Marlon Brando

Stokely Carmichael

Dick Gregory

Ali

Charles Barkley

Versus:

MLK

Gandhi

Malcolm X

Jesus

There's an upside and a downside to being on this list.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I will say that those same people who say "oh you are so well-spoken" to black people probably say it to whites sometimes, too - not trying to remove racism from the equation, because it is their racism that makes them predisposed to assume blacks won't "speak well" in the first place, but generally condescending people are condescending to ALL KINDS of people, including those of their own racial background. I have had people show surprise when they get to know me or speak to me at length, and say "wow, you are smarter than I thought" or "hmmm..you are very well-spoken" or somesuch, which is obviously insulting no matter how complimentary they intend it, because it always implies, "I thought I was better than you, now I'm not so sure, you may be almost as smart as me!"

Fox News

Kanye's Rant Doesn't Slow His New Album
    Tuesday, September 06, 2005
    By Roger Friedman
    PHOTOS

Click image to enlarge
    STORIES ARCHIVE BACKGROUND
    ???Trump, Fats Domino, Mel Gibson???Ellen DeGeneres to Host Emmys in September
    Kanye West | Live 8 | Paul McCartney

Kanye's Rant Doesn't Slow His New Album

Rapper Kanye West's blurt-out on Friday night's telethon is still reverberating.

But one thing's for sure: His new album, "Late Registration," was already set to debut at No. 1 today on the charts. He's thought to have sold upward of a whopping 900,000 copies in his opening week.

I'm told that West was serious, by the way, when he uttered those now famous words: "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

He didn't just blurt it out anxiously. It was intentional.

The word is that West has revved up friends like Jamie Foxx, who does his Ray Charles impression on West's new album. This may not be the end of their take on how race is perceived in the music business.

Whether or not you agree or disagree with West, one thing's for sure: He's determined to make his name one way or another.

The big question will be how the Grammys receive "Late Registration," an album that's landed him on the cover of Time magazine. How will the awards judges handle all the samples and guest appearances?

West's big hit single, "Diamonds From Sierra Leone," is completely based on Shirley Bassey singing "Diamonds Are Forever." The song was written by James Bond composer John Barry.

The rest of "Late Registration," while very entertaining, contains almost no original compositions.

Ironically, singer Brandy makes an appearance on one track, even though she was dumped from the new collection of Ray Charles "duets."

The producers evidently didn't think she was hip enough to remain with Charles on record. Now she's on the No. 1 album in the country.

There are plenty of other collaborators on "Late Registration" since West, you know, like Sean "Diddy" Combs and other rap entrepreneurs, does not actually sing.

Because of this, the multi-talented John Legend makes not one, but two appearances as a guest vocalist. In those cases, Legend was hired to perform by West. So too were back-up singers Tony Williams and Keyshia Cole, as was Maroon 5's Adam Levine.

But wow ??? look at the sampled singers. Besides Bassey, there's Bill Withers (a track of his called "Roses" is included), as well as the KayGees, Etta James on "My Funny Valentine," Orange Krush's 1982 recording called "Action" and Natalie Cole from a Michael Masser/Gerry Goffin song called "Someone That I Used to Love."

Gil Scott-Heron, a legendary performer about whom West's fans probably know zilch, is an integral part of "Late Registration" on his sampled "Home Is Where the Hatred Is." There's also an appearance by Hank Crawford on "Drive Slow."

Will all these people be listed as Grammy nominees when the time comes? If there are winners, will they all be included? That's something I'd like to see.

"Late Registration" is fun to listen to, but in many ways it's a con job. It's a clip job, too.

Try to imagine Marvin Gaye not composing all of "What's Going On?" but splicing together other people's music and recordings over which he'd chant his musings. He would have been laughed out of the business.

But times have changed. We have Alicia Keys, Anthony Hamilton, Legend and just a few R&B performers who can actually create music. The rest has to be a clever construction.

Maybe that's why West's comments on Friday night felt so jarring. As he made his unscripted remarks about race, he was sporting his usual Ralph Lauren Polo ensemble. These would be the same clothes worn by President Bush's Kennebunkport relatives as they gaped at their television sets.

West is no N.W.A. or Chuck D. A lot of signals got crossed on Friday night. But the one that didn't is the most important: Today, "Late Registration" is No. 1, no matter how it was put together or who did it

Should be a few things to talk about there.

O'REILLY: The race-baiting. You're from Georgia. And you know, you know how sensitive race is in the South. I mean, I am just appalled at Jesse Jackson, [California Congresswoman] Maxine Waters. I mean, look, Kanye West (search), the dopey little rapper. We don't care what he says. I just want to illustrate how insane it was. But to say...

GINGRICH: But what's wrong there is for ??? what's wrong there is to give a person like that any level of coverage for things that are that despicable and that dishonest.

O'REILLY: Yes, but he was on national television. So I had to define it.

GINGRICH: No, no, I'm talking about you. I'm talking about the way NBC put him up there.

O'REILLY: Well, they didn't know. And to be fair to NBC, they didn't know what he was going to say. And they knocked him out. He was live. And then they knocked him out for the West Coast.

But the race-baiting and the coming in saying that because they were black, that nobody cared and would leave them on the rooftops, when Americans from every walk of life are donating hundreds of millions of dollars, even as we speak to help these people, I just ??? is there anything we can do about it?

GINGRICH: Look, well, there are some people in America who have made a career out of being despicable racists on their own side. And I think Jesse Jackson in that sense behaves essentially as a racist.

And the fact is he wants to see a color-defined America, that is is a purely racist position.

When I watch young men and women in Coast Guard helicopters risking their lives to save the poor, the elderly, the young, the weak, the sick ??? and I realize that these young men and women representing America are literally doing everything they can to save the lives of every American, I think for someone like Jesse Jackson not to be out there applauding them, helping them, encouraging them, praising them, weakens America.

And I think the rest of us ought to take this kind of vicious attitude head on and just point out that there were an awful lot of New Orleans policemen of all backgrounds ethnically, trying to protect that city. That there were an awful lot of people out there of all backgrounds, firemen and volunteer workers, trying to help those people. And having Jesse Jackson's viciousness undermines that entire process.

O'REILLY: Well, I think Jackson, to be fair to him, would say it's not the folks that are the problem. It's the establishment.

Mr. Speaker, always a pleasure to talk with you. I hope you'll come back. I know you're very busy...

GINGRICH: OK.

Kanye West, who drew headlines for his anti-Bush, race-charged comments on a NBC telethon Friday, received support from other celebrities.

"I'm not a fan of (President Bush), so I let out a big cheer (over West's comments)," Matt Damon told syndicated entertainment show "Access Hollywood." "So this guy with his moment on live TV made a statement that hopefully, now Bush will come out and address (the issue)."

Rapper David Banner, who will hold a benefit concert Sept. 17 in Atlanta through his "Heal the Hood" foundation, has also come to West's defense.

"I'm glad Kanye said what he said on NBC," Banner says in the upcoming issue of Ozone magazine. "The President never gave a damn about black folks."

Here is one more

• by the way, i definitely had some professors at a couple different colleges who did not speak well and did have a hard time putting a coherent sentence together.

Me too. Some professors are downright unintelligible - usually those that are ESL. But still, Big Stacks isn't an Indian guy fresh off the boat where english is his second language - dude is a native American (as opposed to being Native American) with no speech impediments (that I know of). That's just some fucked up shit to say because I can't think of any other frame of reference people could be coming from.

• I brought the Kanye situation up to a few wheaties but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Kanye West, who drew headlines for his anti-Bush, race-charged comments on a NBC telethon Friday, received support from other celebrities.

"I'm not a fan of (President Bush), so I let out a big cheer (over West's comments)," Matt Damon told syndicated entertainment show "Access Hollywood." "So this guy with his moment on live TV made a statement that hopefully, now Bush will come out and address (the issue)."

Rapper David Banner, who will hold a benefit concert Sept. 17 in Atlanta through his "Heal the Hood" foundation, has also come to West's defense.

"I'm glad Kanye said what he said on NBC," Banner says in the upcoming issue of Ozone magazine. "The President never gave a damn about black folks."

and they're goddamn right.

• Kanye West, who drew headlines for his anti-Bush, race-charged comments on a NBC telethon Friday, received support from other celebrities.

and they're goddamn right.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    by the way, i definitely had some professors at a couple different colleges who did not speak well and did have a hard time putting a coherent sentence together.

Me too. Some professors are downright unintelligible - usually those that are ESL. But still, Big Stacks isn't an Indian guy fresh off the boat where english is his second language - dude is a native American (as opposed to being Native American) with no speech impediments (that I know of). That's just some fucked up shit to say because I can't think of any other frame of reference people could be coming from.

stacks, sorry you're not here to discuss, but...

what about this as another frame of reference - holy shit this may blow your mind - that stacks is actually well-spoken. (does that offend you? ) i don't know him but from reading his posts, he comes off as intelligient, confident, and well-written. for example, his breakdown of the cognitive psych/sociological phenomenon above is clear and to the point. i wouldn't be surprised if he has similar traits in his speech.
    bottom line, as he describes the situation...
    someone said to stack's friend "you're well-spoken." someone asked him "where are you from?"
    i could imagine a situation where these comments could possibly be perceived as demeaning, but in this case, i think it's a far stretch.
    also, in my opinion (and please let's not get into a "what's more offensive" debate) the phrase "fresh off the boat" carries with it much worse connotations.

i wouldn't get into such detail about a brief moment in someone else's life if i didn't think this situation is representative of a bigger picture. i think it's wrong to overreact and potentially misinterpret someone's words or behavior and paint a negative picture about them. there's a lot of real racism in the world that we should be trying to put an end to:

• what about this as another frame of reference - holy shit this may blow your mind - that stacks is actually well-spoken. (does that offend you? ) i don't know him but from reading his posts, he comes off as intelligient, confident, and well-written. for example, his breakdown of the cognitive psych/sociological phenomenon above is clear and to the point. i wouldn't be surprised if he has similar traits in his speech.
    bottom line, as he describes the situation...
    someone said to stack's friend "you're well-spoken." someone asked him "where are you from?"
    i could imagine a situation where these comments could possibly be perceived as demeaning, but in this case, i think it's a far stretch.

I see your point, but I think that's just an unusual compliment. Thinking on it I guess the assumption is that if you're smart, of course you would well spoken. That just seems to be the American assumption, at least from my POV. I've never heard anyone use say that, except to little kids, and even then it's rare.

But Big Stacks is beyond well spoken, he's one of the wordiest MFers I've ever read/heard in casual conversation. I can't imagine what it would be like if he wrote a textbook or something.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    right from a conversation in the cafeteria here:

"I thought he was one of those 'white' black guys, he was so well spoken"

"yeah, now I cant take him seriously, that was the wrong forum for that arguemtn, now noone will take him seriously."

that is almost a direct quote. I pieced it together, but that is pretty much it.

So, what are the whiteys saying?

Well, this whitey's saying good for Kanye. That outburst took some stones whichever way you slice it.

Some of the whiteys in other circles that I move in - ones who are forever ripping on "ignorant rappers" with no social responsibility, who ought to be "saying something" about Bush and the war in Iraq and blahblayadayada - seem to think that Kanye had no right to speak up because (and I quote); "What does he know about disaster recovery?", or "Why did he have to make it about race?", or "It wasn't really appropriate to say it at a charity event", or (and this one's the kicker) "For someone who's in the business of communication, he wasn't very articulate, was he?". That last one's a direct quote as well.

From this I'm concluding that even many so-called liberal whites still feel a whole lot better when they're not being confronted by black folks hitting them with too many uncomfortable truths about the way the world's set up. They can accept it from comics like Chris Rock, or from "radical" rap types like Chuck D, KRS, dead prez or even Michael Franti, because there's an assumption that you expect those kinda cats to say such things and, well, hey, we're liberals too and we (sort of) agree with them anyway, right? But when it comes from someone in the "safe zone", like Kanye, it's more of a curveball. It's like there's a subtext of "you don't wanna know what we really think of you" that a lot of white folks aren't that used to dealing with, at least not from such a source. Anyway, let's make you mufuckas laugh...

Q: How many Bush Administration officials does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its condition is improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are totally unfounded, and the result of delusional "spin" assaults from the fanatical elitist liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effect and dims its ego. Why do you hate freedom?

Meanwhile, in the UK, the Rupert Murdoch-owned Sky News channel makes the most precise analysis yet of the situation in NOLA;

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

When has george bush ever shown any evidence that he cares about black people?

A friend of mine's family member is in the Secret Service. I would tell y'all some of the specific incidents involving race that she has told me, but I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble.

Let's just say, it's true: George Bush doesn't care about Black people.

• Naw, I ain't mad at Kanye. Just wondering where the support is so a brother doesn't have to carry all this bullshit on one set of shoulders.

first week sales (these are sold records) 860,330. and that was more than the rest of the top ten combined.

THE BLACK MAN'S IN EFFECT!!! fuck what anyone has to say from this point forward.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

From this I'm concluding that even many so-called liberal whites still feel a whole lot better when they're not being confronted by black folks hitting them with too many uncomfortable truths about the way the world's set up. They can accept it from comics like Chris Rock, or from "radical" rap types like Chuck D, KRS, dead prez or even Michael Franti, because there's an assumption that you expect those kinda cats to say such things and, well, hey, we're liberals too and we (sort of) agree with them anyway, right? But when it comes from someone in the "safe zone", like Kanye, it's more of a curveball. It's like there's a subtext of "you don't wanna know what we really think of you" that a lot of white folks aren't that used to dealing with, at least not from such a source.

I think we're getting somewhere here.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

From this I'm concluding that even many so-called liberal whites still feel a whole lot better when they're not being confronted by black folks hitting them with too many uncomfortable truths about the way the world's set up. They can accept it from comics like Chris Rock, or from "radical" rap types like Chuck D, KRS, dead prez or even Michael Franti, because there's an assumption that you expect those kinda cats to say such things and, well, hey, we're liberals too and we (sort of) agree with them anyway, right? But when it comes from someone in the "safe zone", like Kanye, it's more of a curveball. It's like there's a subtext of "you don't wanna know what we really think of you" that a lot of white folks aren't that used to dealing with, at least not from such a source.

I think we're getting somewhere here.

Really...I don't know what Kanye did does not suprise me at all. I think what he did was cool good for him...People hardly ever say what they feel on T.V. They just read the Teleprompter. I would be a lot more suprised if Chris Rock did this.

• first week sales 860,330.