Comments

• So, what are the whiteys saying?

Whitey? Hmmmmm....

why?

You should call us Honkies, not Whitey.

"Whitey" is only cool when white people say it to other white people...LMAO

Da Pumpsta?

As a white person, I prefer "ofay".

• "As he made his unscripted remarks about race, he was sporting his usual teddy bear 'Lo sweater. These would be the same teddy bear 'Lo sweaters worn by President Bush's Kennebunkport relatives as they gaped at their television sets."[/i]

Ive never thought of Kanye West as the Trojan Horse of civil rights politics. But I do like the idea.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Biggest problem is that everyone feels like they HAVE to be RICH as opposed to even being merely comfortable.IMHO anyway.
    very well put. What happened to the American dream of a comfortable house and loving family. Why does everyone need to be rich?

Except these days, to own a "comfortable" house and maintain a loving family comfortably, you pretty much need to be "rich."

• Except these days, to own a "comfortable" house and maintain a loving family comfortably, you pretty much need to be "rich."
    Right! we need a living wage in this country.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i tought hip-hop was a black thing anyway...

• So Sean Penn and Marlon Brando(who is the great grandaddy of the 'surprise-fuck-you-on-live-TV') went hungry? Folks like Stokely Carmichael, Dick Gregory, Ali, and Charles Barkley have all starved? Please. That is the wackest excuse in the world, 'I gotta watch out for mine'. Somebody like Tiger Woods might lose an endorsement or two, but it ain't like he'll ever run into the SINGLE millions as it is? How much do people need? That's some BS.

I remember an interview with Samuel L. Jackson said he makes so many movies because he has a standard of living to support. Damn. That's some standard.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    dude has enough money to feed nuff mouths.
    Yeah, right now he does--because he hasn't fu*ked it up. Maybe he wants to put some of his cousins through college or pay for his grandparents' assisted living or a variety of other things we don't know about.

there's these little things called a soul and self-respect that need feeding too and all the money in the world won't mean shit if they are not intact.
    Perhaps Kanye is working with different definitions of "soul" and "self-respect", ones that allow him to make the decisions that he makes and still keep those things intact.

speaking up about things that matter isn't really called fucking up in my book.

I can't and don't want to speak for Kanye and what he believes in and how he defines his world and what he does with his money. I do think he has enough money and makes other people enough money to talk about what means something to him. I can only go on how he looked and sounded in that clip and he looked shook up. If he chooses dollars over conscience - it's his battle in the end.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    ...where is the support from his label? Where is the support from all these liberals in the entertainment industry? Is no one making statements? Is there no media willing to do stories on folks rallying to support Kanye, 'important' people? Or is the support not there?
    I'm guessing those other folks have mouths to feed also.

Well, Jay-Z has spoken out in support of him.

I'm guessing he was referring to companies that he has endorsement deals with.

Damn, do you guys even realize that it was Reynaldo aka Capt Sarcastic With The Plastic that said "he has mouths to feed?"

Now everyone's turning on Kanye again. Damn.

Herm
    I'm fairly serious. So, will you or will you not pay part or all of Kanye's mortgage if he gets blacklisted and can't get the kind of work that will allow him to meet his financial obligations?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Except these days, to own a "comfortable" house and maintain a loving family comfortably, you pretty much need to be "rich."
    Right! we need a living wage in this country.

cosign

• ...where is the support from his label? Where is the support from all these liberals in the entertainment industry? Is no one making statements? Is there no media willing to do stories on folks rallying to support Kanye, 'important' people? Or is the support not there?
    I'm guessing those other folks have mouths to feed also.

Well, Jay-Z has spoken out in support of him.

I'm guessing he was referring to companies that he has endorsement deals with.

Damn, do you guys even realize that it was Reynaldo aka Capt Sarcastic With The Plastic that said "he has mouths to feed?"

Now everyone's turning on Kanye again. Damn.

Herm
    I'm fairly serious. So, will you or will you not pay part or all of Kanye's mortgage if he gets blacklisted and can't get the kind of work that will allow him to meet his financial obligations?

If by that you mean "buying his albums," then my answer is .

• dude has enough money to feed nuff mouths.
    Yeah, right now he does--because he hasn't fu*ked it up. Maybe he wants to put some of his cousins through college or pay for his grandparents' assisted living or a variety of other things we don't know about.

there's these little things called a soul and self-respect that need feeding too and all the money in the world won't mean shit if they are not intact.
    Perhaps Kanye is working with different definitions of "soul" and "self-respect", ones that allow him to make the decisions that he makes and still keep those things intact.

cosign with reynaldo (wow)... But he is dead on here.

1. None of us know his financial circumstances and know how rich he actually is... Also what about MC hammer? he was on top of the world and lost it all (reasons for it set aside), it is not too unrealistic that the same could happen to any "star".

2. If Kanye has any kind of social plan maybe he is trying to work from the inside out? If he makes any kind of huge stand now then he loses any chance he has/had to get on the "inside"...

At least people know he has the guts to speak out, but I can see him relaxing for a little bit letting it kind of wash over and then circling back to his causes.

we still have a long way to go and really I think this is just the tip of the iceberg...

• dude has enough money to feed nuff mouths.

speaking up about things that matter isn't really called fucking up in my book.

I can't and don't want to speak for Kanye and what he believes in and how he defines his world and what he does with his money. I do think he has enough money and makes other people enough money to talk about what means something to him. I can only go on how he looked and sounded in that clip and he looked shook up. If he chooses dollars over conscience - it's his battle in the end. [/b]

exactly. i dont understand why everyone is holding dude up to your own personal morals and decisions. he aint god, and he definately aint you. he's a fucken rap star. the fact that he said anything at all is proper. scared or not, it took a lot of guts. dude had a forum and he used it. maybe it wasnt to everyone's liking. maybe it wasnt enough. maybe it was too much. but regardless, a bunch of bullshitters in a message board bullshitting didnt even take have the nerve of what dude did. so pardon mon french but SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! that is not directed at anyone in particular so dont go getting all sensitive. im just saying, you got something better to say, then get off the fucking computer and say it. otherwise youre a bunch of do-nothings sitting around eating ding dongs playing ping pong on your macintosh. i swear.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

exactly. i dont understand why everyone is holding dude up to your own personal morals and decisions. he aint god, and he definately aint you. he's a fucken rap star. the fact that he said anything at all is proper. scared or not, it took a lot of guts. dude had a forum and he used it. maybe it wasnt to everyone's liking. maybe it wasnt enough. maybe it was too much. but regardless, a bunch of bullshitters in a message board bullshitting didnt even take have the nerve of what dude did. so pardon mon french but SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! that is not directed at anyone in particular so dont go getting all sensitive. im just saying, you got something better to say, then get off the fucking computer and say it. otherwise youre a bunch of do-nothings sitting around eating ding dongs playing ping pong on your macintosh. i swear.

what do you think this whole site is about? you need to chill on trying to shut folks up. if you don't want to hear it... go back to watching 'so you think you can dance.'

• cosign with Shig

• exactly. i dont understand why everyone is holding dude up to your own personal morals and decisions. he aint god, and he definately aint you. he's a fucken rap star. the fact that he said anything at all is proper. scared or not, it took a lot of guts. dude had a forum and he used it. maybe it wasnt to everyone's liking. maybe it wasnt enough. maybe it was too much. but regardless, a bunch of bullshitters in a message board bullshitting didnt even take have the nerve of what dude did. so pardon mon french but SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! that is not directed at anyone in particular so dont go getting all sensitive. im just saying, you got something better to say, then get off the fucking computer and say it. otherwise youre a bunch of do-nothings sitting around eating ding dongs playing ping pong on your macintosh. i swear.

what do you think this whole site is about? you need to chill on trying to shut folks up. if you don't want to hear it... go back to watching 'so you think you can dance.'

im not trying to shut people up. im saying if folks are so insensed at a goddamn rap star and think they wouldve handled it differently then go out and make a million bucks get on tv and run your mouth any which way you want. go head.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

This white person feels that Kanye statement is a non-event - is it going to serve as a catalyst for any kind of social change? Have people risen up in arms? Does anyone even see this as an exciting point of departure for America? You've got to be kidding yourself if you do. His statement will be debated among music critics & referenced by entertainment historians & journalists. As an entertainer, this comment was his greatest accomplishment - how many posts will devoted to this subject? How much will people talk about it? It's on every media outlet. "George Bush Doesn't care About Black People" is the greatest song Kanye never made. And what's almost worse is that if he did make it, I'm not even certain that it would be any good.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

"George Bush Doesn't care About Black People" is the greatest song Kanye never made.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    cosign with Shig

how confusing is this? i'm going to co-sign with shig on something he co-signed with me (in part).

on one hand, it's frustrating because things like this happen; we don't all communuicate in the same way and lines get crossed, responses get mixed up and folks are taken for saying one thing when they really mean another.

on the other hand, this is so much fun; this exploding, non-linear discussion thing.

• cosign with Shig

how confusing is this? i'm going to co-sign with shig on something he co-signed with me (in part).

on one hand, it's frustrating because things like this happen; we don't all communuicate in the same way and lines get crossed, responses get mixed up and folks are taken for saying one thing when they really mean another.

on the other hand, this is so much fun; this exploding, non-linear discussion thing.

sorry cosign with shig and missbassie

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    to bring up another topic...
    has there been any significant backlash against kanye? other than some bitches from michigan and extreme right wing bloggers, i haven't really heard about anything, and i don't watch enuf fox news to know.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

KANYE WEST STARS IN NEW PEPSI SPOT

Pepsi will feed your mouths[/b]

I'd like to buy the world a

pepsi

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    right from a conversation in the cafeteria here:

"I thought he was one of those 'white' black guys, he was so well spoken"

"yeah, now I cant take him seriously, that was the wrong forum for that arguemtn, now noone will take him seriously."

that is almost a direct quote. I pieced it together, but that is pretty much it.

So, what are the whiteys saying?

BTW...WERE THE PERSON(S)WHO SAID THIS MALE OR FEMALE ??

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    what are the whiteys saying?

Cant say that I have heard people talking about it but I think that Kanye's opinion is pretty much common knowledge even to the decendants of those who once dwelled in the Caucus mountians...

"__________________ does not care about Black people..."

Insert presidents name above... it does not matter who... and save that Clinton crap and Lincoln...

• what are the whiteys saying?

Cant say that I have heard people talking about it but I think that Kanye's opinion is pretty much common knowledge even to the decendants of those who once dwelled in the Caucus mountians...

"__________________ does not care about Black people..."

Insert presidents name above... it does not matter who... and save that Clinton crap and Lincoln...

thats true except for the outliers you mentioned... and Kennedy and some others that I probably don't know of because I don;t know much about presidents... ohhhh

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I just cant believe its THIS big of a deal for anyone to be publicly taking our elected leader to task for NOT DOING HIS FUCKING JOB!!!!

How is it that a critical statement about the president can result in the loss of corporate sponsorships and stuff? When luda got dropped by pepsi it was over offensive lyrics, and bill oreiley hoopla.

But this? Its like people are pissed at kanye cause he went on t.v. and said "the sky is blue".

When has george bush ever shown any evidence that he cares about black people? Its not his voter demographic. Its not as if were talking about evangilist christians here.

Even if you disagree, hell, even if kanye is wrong! All bush would have to do is come out and say that he does in fact care about black people. He wasnt being critical about the war or something people have committed lives and resources to. He was merely voicing an opinion about the miserable way bush dealt with a natural disaster in a largely black area.

I would expect he doesnt want to comment further because he has an album to promote. ANd would rather talk about his music than be fodder for right wing media talking points. Who can blame him? leave that to michael moore.

and I dont see how his financial situation has anything to do at all with this entire discussion.

• I just cant believe its THIS big of a deal for anyone to be publicly taking our elected leader to task for NOT DOING HIS FUCKING JOB!!!!

How is it that a critical statement about the president can result in the loss of corporate sponsorships and stuff? When luda got dropped by pepsi it was over offensive lyrics, and bill oreiley hoopla.

But this? Its like people are pissed at kanye cause he went on t.v. and said "the sky is blue".

When has george bush ever shown any evidence that he cares about black people? Its not his voter demographic. Its not as if were talking about evangilist christians here.

Even if you disagree, hell, even if kanye is wrong! All bush would have to do is come out and say that he does in fact care about black people. He wasnt being critical about the war or something people have committed lives and resources to. He was merely voicing an opinion about the miserable way bush dealt with a natural disaster in a largely black area.

I would expect he doesnt want to comment further because he has an album to promote. ANd would rather talk about his music than be fodder for right wing media talking points. Who can blame him? leave that to michael moore.

and I dont see how his financial situation has anything to do at all with this entire discussion.

co-sign

• WOW!

Neat-o.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    :

" he was so well spoken"

"Thats something you say about a retard that can talk"

Rock nailed it on the head!

not to get to over-liberal, but this comparrison makes you think about what the opinion on black people is by those that say things like "he speaks so well"

Hey Guzzo,

Speaking of your point, a research co-author of mine (also a Ph.D. holding brotha) was told "how well he spoke" at an opening luncheon of the annual conference of a (predominately White, mind you) national professional organization. Well hell, the brotha's a doctoral degree holding scholar. How would they expect him to speak? Like Buckweat or something? I was asked "where I was from" by some seemingly redneck parents after I gave a presentation about our major during the open house of our department (or school) this summer. I guess they were surprised that I could put a sentence together. Why would I be a professor if I couldn't?

It seems that some White folks (no offense to my White brethren) hold some really negative preconceptions about Blacks. Then again, people tend to perceive greater homogeneity among outgroup versus ingroup members (the old "those people are all the same" bias); however, Blacks have more cross-racial contact with Whites, than vice-versa (as recent study by Maria Krysan shows this to be the case, as have others). So, we have greater development of sub-types to describe Whites than vice-versa (although some Whites show this tendency too, those with less prejudicial racial attitudes). A general rule, though, is that ingroup variability is higher than between group variability, but most people unaware of this maxim. For instance, I am probably more similar to most of the people on this thread than most members of my race, as least social background-wise anyway. Feel me???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• A general rule, though, is that ingroup variability is higher than between group variability, but most people unaware of this maxim. For instance, I am probably more similar to most of the people on this thread than most members of my race, as least social background-wise anyway. Feel me???

Better question: how many white people speak like that?

I think you're 100% on point on this one. Typically people with little to no personal contact with people outside their own race (from my experience) seem to default to a media stereotype ranging somewhere between Boyz n the Hood and The Color of Water.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

WOW!

Neat-o.

that shit is blazing.