late registration - 5 stars in rolling stone

awallawall 673 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
sorry...more kanye. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/late-registration-20050825i thought it was ok. but this shit is ridiculious.any predictions on what the hip hop rags are going to give it?

Comments

• any predictions on what the hip hop rags are going to give it?
    Top ratings all around if they have ears.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

the mainstream coddling of this shit is disgusting. refresh my memory when was the last time a rapper was on the cover of time? i recall maybe snoop when doggystyle came out or was i imagining that?

mama noz: "what's so great about this kane west guy? they say he raps about religion, do you like him?"

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    it's official...Kanye has taken Andre 3000's spot

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

the mainstream coddling of this shit is disgusting. refresh my memory when was the last time a rapper was on the cover of time? i recall maybe snoop when doggystyle came out or was i imagining that?

I think Lauryn Hill is the only other rapper ever to be on the cover of Time.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

but was she on the cover for her rapping?

• awallawall 673 Posts

just as much as kanye is on the cover for his rapping.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    If nothing else I've learned this.... the Rolling Stones website sucks. Fucking get a decent design team to spruce that shit up! It's looking bland as fuck. Where are the graphic design heads at?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    Rolling Stone...sucks.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    So who would you put on the cover of TIME?
    Mike Jones? Paul Wall? Dipset? Busdriver? Unknown regional rapper from the south?

When is the last time you have approved of a 5 star recepient?

Seriously, the guy is a mainstream rap act with a style and message that seems to appeal to a wide variety of people. He may or may not represent who you think is best in the game but guess what, America does not care.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    when non hip hop mags write on hip hop there's always some hilarious nuggets of journalism.

they compare "hey mama" to "Side Two of Prince's Sign 'o' the Times after aliens hacked into it."

Of course not--she was on the cover for her smarmy self-righteousness and for being nonthreatening.

Kind of like...

Busdriver?

Ha!

• Where's the "5 pager" e-con....

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    My mom has this record. This is serious.

Does Kayne = Norah Jones in 2005?????????

personally I think he's fine.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

any predictions on what the hip hop rags are going to give it?
    Top ratings all around if they have ears.

Does Kayne = Norah Jones in 2005?????????

Yes. This will be the biggest record of the year.

Last time out he sold nearly three million copies with, initially, a minimum of promotion.

This time all your parents are gonna buy his record, too.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Wow, I think Asp-rock summed it up. He's a palatable, 'safe' rapper but he also manages to work in a message into his.

I don't know man, honestly I'm feeling him despite the whole 'lovable' narcissistic/low self esteem/media darling thing. The record is pretty good and much better on a whole slew of levels than other shit i've been hearing lately.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "Drive Slow" alone makes it better than most shit out right now.

He's a palatable, 'safe' rapper but he also manages to work in a message

Wow, I thin Asp-rock summed it though. He's a palatable, 'safe' rapper but he also manages to work in a message into his.

I don't know man, honestly I'm feeling him despite the whole 'lovable' narcissistic/low self esteem/media darling thing. The record is pretty good and much better on a whole slew of levels than other shit i've been hearing lately.

I'm a fan of his music but, I'm sorry, he has no message to speak of.

For the same reason that I'm not mad at his wild proclamations about being the greatest thing in the history of recorded music, I also can't take any of his "messages" seriously: it's all just a very transparent act.

• everything i've heard(3/4's of it) sounds good(and even relistenable). I aint mad at all.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    but seriously people...5 stars?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I think certain songs are solid, but as a complete album, it falls short (of my expectations and I tend to favor Kanye's work) -> the runnin' time of 71 minutes or thereabouts really taxes one's patience @ times; why didn't he follow the cues he helped to define w/ Common's 'Be' in keepin' it short and succinct? Part of his sonic appeal lies in the pop sheen that he's not afraid of incorporatin' into his sound, methinks...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Wow, I thin Asp-rock summed it though. He's a palatable, 'safe' rapper but he also manages to work in a message into his.

I'm a fan of his music but, I'm sorry, he has no message to speak of.

For the same reason that I'm not mad at his wild proclamations about being the greatest thing in the history of recorded music, I also can't take any of his "messages" seriously: it's all just a very transparent act.

Haha, i'm not so much speaking for me but for the whole Time Magazine outlook & reason why he's on the cover.

He does say more than "from the windows to the walls", "candy paint drippin'" etc. I know he's not on some Dead Prez, PE shit, but in the scheme of things he's saying more than most and reaching a bigger audience doing it.

Now, do I think people should listen to the gospel of Kanye?

I'll put it this way:

It's alot like Dave Chappelle said about calling Ja Rule to get his thoughts on 9/11.

My point exact Day. Whether you or I can see through his 'message' or 'persona' is not the issue here. He is talented. He knows how to sell himself and his work. An to be honest, I have no regrets with him representing 'rap' in the mass media's eye. Beats all the violence and murder they usually associate it with.

why didn't he follow the cues he helped to define w/ Common's 'Be'

maybe because 'Be' sucks ass....'Be' put the succ in succinct

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    He's a palatable, 'safe' rapper but he also manages to work in a message

This should be in the (mad) suspect behavior thread, but I still have a soft spot for a couple of his dust brothers-produced tracks.

Ha, nothing suspect about it...the Dust Brother know how to put together a track.

Young Mc was dope.....in the beginning

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

maybe because 'Be' sucks ass....'Be' put the succ in succinct

Just for the record, I wasn't commentin' on the merits of 'Be' as product, more on the brevity of the listenin' experience...