late registration - 5 stars in rolling stone

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    brevity .....succinct ....sonic appeal....pop sheen

do you speak like this in the real world?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I have no regrets with him representing 'rap' in the mass media's eye. Beats all the violence and murder they usually associate it with.

Straight up, we all could use somebody showing another side of rap.

Would you rather your kids aspire to be this dude>

or this dude>

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Depends on the audience... Why shirk away from usin' more concise words in the proper context?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    you heard the man:

+

=

+

+

+

+

+

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    So who would you put on the cover of TIME? Mike Jones? Paul Wall? Dipset? Busdriver? Unknown regional rapper from the south?

that's odd... i'm sensing some very personalized hate from your post. sorry that i like rappers you've never heard of or don't like. but that has very little to do with what's going on here. i guess you're gonna have to wait for another oppertunity to jump down my throat for being the militant underground flag waver you (inaccurately) percieve me to be.

and to answer your question, i don't think it'd be outlandish to put Jay-Z on the cover of time.

When is the last time you have approved of a 5 star recepient?

well i haven't exactly been keeping tabs on what rap records rolling stone gives five stars (i'm assuming they are few and far between). but...

Seriously, the guy is a mainstream rap act with a style and message that seems to appeal to a wide variety of people. He may or may not represent who you think is best in the game but guess what, America does not care.

i don't enjoy kanye's record. i can understand why some like it, but i don't think it's a five star record by any standard. and i think that even many of the staunchest of kanye supporters would agree with that statement.

but my disgust with this media blitz has more to do with the fact that rap has historically been margnalized by publications like time and putting kanye on a pedestal as a nonthreatning alternative to "most" rappers is only further alienating mainstream america from the rest of the rappers, the really good ones (which, in my humble opinion includes busdriver and paul wall, but not necessarily mike jones, although i understand that many may disagree with me on all fronts).

in the newsweek piece they specifically lauded kanye for being one of the first rappers to rap about religon.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

or this dude>

Depends on the audience... Why shirk away from usin' more concise words in the proper context?

ok cool..

I have no regrets with him representing 'rap' in the mass media's eye.

i do...he's cool but he should in no way,shape or form be the face of rap/hip hop....absolutely not

• dayday 9,611 Posts

or this dude>

Yo really, who is my kid gonna hear?

Unless they go to Root Down and stand outside to buy dudes CD, i'd say there's a better chance of them hearing the former.

And i'd rather that than my 11 year old step daughter singing "Candy Shop".

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    since when did what rolling stone say about ANYTHING rap related matter?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't get this whole Kanye as "family friendly" business. Just cause he's not on some WWF thug style doesn't make him sanitized.

This would never be the chorus on a Will Smith track:

That's that crack music, nigga
    That real Black music, nigga

I'm not hearing soft or sold out in his rhymes. His rhyming skills are way more of an issue. He's probably on the cover of TIME because he's blowing the fuck up.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Noz, the busdrider comment, although pointed towards you, was not in hate as you have taken it. I just threw it in there while making a list of acts people around here have aplauded recently and for comparison sake.

The magazines will never get a balance view of rap or hip hop ever. It's either focused on the negative aspects or christening the new harmless act, and I for one would rather see this for a change. Sorry you got offended.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

And that's not a reflection of the music. I think Busdriver is a bad dude and have done enough shows with him and seen him perform to know as much.

I'm talking realisticly, who are more kids gonna hear?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I don't get this whole Kanye as "family friendly" business. Just cause he's not on some WWF thug style doesn't make him sanitized.

I'm not hearing soft or sold out in his rhymes. His rhyming skills are way more of an issue. He's probably on the cover of TIME because he's blowing the fuck up.

SoulOnIce speaketh thy truth.

• So who would you put on the cover of TIME?
    Eric B.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    So who would you put on the cover of TIME?
    Ma$e

I'm talking realisticly

SoulOnIce speaketh thy truth.

not really...the only thing "hard" or "unsanitized" about those lyrics are the use of the word 'nigga'...and when he uses the word nigga it sounds a helluva lot different than these >>>> niggas using the word nigga...when Kanye uses the word nigga its used in more of Def Poetry Jam type of way...and yes that makes a difference

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    i recall maybe snoop when doggystyle came out or was i imagining that?

that was newsweek.......and it wasn't exactly a flattering article. One of those gangster rap is ruining america pieces popular during that time.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I have no regrets with him representing 'rap' in the mass media's eye.

i do...he's cool but he should in no way,shape or form be the face of rap/hip hop....absolutely not

i heard him promoting the record while driving out of Chicago last week....the wife and I were embarrassed for dude because he sounds like such a lug nut when he tries to get a point across. And his quote about how 'Black people are the most racist people around nowadays' during the interview didn't help him out.

I dig his production, think he's talented and ain't mad at his records, but he is just another celebrity at this point...and I guess everyone sounds stupid when all you have to talk about is how great you are.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not really...the only thing "hard" or "unsanitized" about those lyrics are the use of the word 'nigga'...and when he uses the word nigga it sounds a helluva lot different than these >>>> niggas using the word nigga...when Kanye uses the word nigga its used in more of Def Poetry Jam type of way...and yes that makes a difference
    you think the people who are picking up kanye's album because of time magazine are going to appreciate, understand, or even remotely relate to what he's talking about in that song?

you think the people who are picking up kanye's album because of time magazine are going to appreciate, understand, or even remotely relate to what he's talking about in that song?

i dont think those people will even pay attention to or give a rats ass what he's saying

Or better yet even look past the obvious image of menacing faces and ?

• awallawall 673 Posts

never. but it is a fairly good gauge of how the powerful/retarded music media is leaning...and i think the last album they gave 5 stars was that mopey beck album from like 3 years ago. this is probably the best raiting they've ever given a rap album (?)

on a related publications-that-should-never-discuss-rap note, dorm room taste-makers pitchforkmedia are shitting their pants over this record as well. http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/w/west_kanye/late-registration.shtml

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    and the ineffable Cam'Ron, who continues his magical run with savant-like witticisms on "Gone"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

never. but it is a fairly good gauge of how the powerful/retarded music media is leaning.

on a related publications-that-should-never-discuss-rap note, dorm room taste-makers pitchforkmedia are shitting their pants over this record as well. http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/w/west_kanye/late-registration.shtml

" It's not sales; it's souls."

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Noz, the busdrider comment, although pointed towards you, was not in hate as you have taken it. I just threw it in there while making a list of acts people around here have aplauded recently and for comparison sake.

it's cool, it did seem more than a little tailored to my tastes though, which was a little out of left field.

The magazines will never get a balance view of rap or hip hop ever.

but is it too idealistic of me to be dissatisfied that this is the case?

It's either focused on the negative aspects or christening the new harmless act, and I for one would rather see this for a change.

if it's a role model issue, why not look at a jay-z and feature how they've turned their poverty into art into a legitimate business. or commend "unknown regional and southern" hip hop for remaining one of the last great indigenously unique forms of american art in an almost entirely globalized and commodified entertainment industry. there's so many perspectives for which to consider the genre. to go for the 50=bad, kanye=good approach is not just ignorant, it's downright lazy.

getting back to kanye, the media seems to be convienetly glossing over his whole diva-esque tantrums. While obviously not on the level of the violence that someone as belligerent as 50 brings to the table, i think clearly disqualifies his role model status. he's like the paris hilton of rap.

and day i lack the insight/perspective that comes with parenthood that you do, so that could account for the very different opinions (and probably also comes into play the other times we've butted heads around here). but in a perfect world my children wouldn't be listening to 50 Cent or I>Late Registration/I>. And I don't think they'd ever hear busdriver, i was clearly kidding about that homie.

• awallawall 673 Posts

never. but it is a fairly good gauge of how the powerful/retarded music media is leaning.

" It's not sales; it's souls."

yeah i thought that was hilarious. that website makes me what to never read music writing again.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    in a perfect world my children wouldn't be listening to 50 Cent or I>Late Registration/I>.

that's

And about that 50=bad, Kanye=good - i'm hoping you know I was over simplifying to get my point across.