late registration - 5 stars in rolling stone

1235»

Comments

• college dropout - ok
    LR - sucks

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

I think Late Registration will pass the 600,000 marker in the 1st week. A little better than what Game did.
    Nix that...i heard he already sold 1.2 mil on the presale

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I think Late Registration will pass the 600,000 marker in the 1st week. A little better than what Game did.
    I heard 1.3.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I heard 1.3.

Where are you guys "hearing" this?

I was the first person in this thread to predict that this would be the year's biggest record, regardless of genre, but that doesn't seem plausible, even to me.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    just listened to the LP for the first time

first impression: not that fresh. at all.

maybe three good songs and lots of melodramatic overproduced sounding strings. eh.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    the pre-sale orders were 1.6 million, but the real question is does anyone here have any desire to see this artform be viable past selling millions of records without the artists becoming the Bono's of the next generation not only in perception but in ticket sales/place in the industy etc.???? I mean everyone beefs about what's wrong with this record, but goddamn does anyone really care about this music shit outside of catching raerers to want to see any of these artists get outta message boards and into Shea stadium????

the pre-sale orders were 1.6 million

Where are you guys getting these numbers from?

Do you mean that 1.6 is what he shipped? I don't doubt that.

faux - I got my info from soundscan.

faux - I got my info from soundscan.

Gotcha

• the pre-sale orders were 1.6 million

Where are you guys getting these numbers from?

Do you mean that 1.6 is what he shipped? I don't doubt that.
    the 1.6 mill figure was stated in the TIME article. it said it was to ship 1.6 mill. this by no means says that they have pre-orders for that many. peace, stein. .

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    the pre-sale orders were 1.6 million, but the real question is does anyone here have any desire to see this artform be viable past selling millions of records without the artists becoming the Bono's of the next generation not only in perception but in ticket sales/place in the industy etc.???? I mean everyone beefs about what's wrong with this record, but goddamn does anyone really care about this music shit outside of catching raerers to want to see any of these artists get outta message boards and into Shea stadium????

Can he get an amen?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Wireless connection on the yacht on the fritz again?

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts

I was the first person in this thread to predict that this would be the year's biggest record, regardless of genre, but that doesn't seem plausible, even to me.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

what does this mean?

the 1.6 mill figure was stated in the TIME article. it said it was to ship 1.6 mill. this by no means says that they have pre-orders for that many. peace, stein. .

Stein - you can pull a report from soundscan of the pre-orders on new releases. Time stated the 1.6 and the report from soundscan confirmed it.

rootlesscosmo - I'm merely asking the question if anyone's actually interested in moving this genre and artform past the notion it's disposable music for the moment.

It's just really dumbfounding to me that James Brown doesn't carry the same cache as The Rolling Stones in the grand lexicon of the music industry in terms of touring/reverence/etc. and I see the disregard of our current artists being treated the same way.

I'm just hoping with this new "respect/appreciation/notion of equality" for the culture/race in society translates to a black artist being able to carry the same weight the way some white counterparts have been in the past.

• the 1.6 mill figure was stated in the TIME article. it said it was to ship 1.6 mill. this by no means says that they have pre-orders for that many. peace, stein. .

Stein - you can pull a report from soundscan of the pre-orders on new releases. Time stated the 1.6 and the report from soundscan confirmed it.

rootlesscosmo - I'm merely asking the question if anyone's actually interested in moving this genre and artform past the notion it's disposable music for the moment.

It's just really dumbfounding to me that James Brown doesn't carry the same cache as The Rolling Stones in the grand lexicon of the music industry in terms of touring/reverence/etc. and I see the disregard of our current artists being treated the same way.

I'm just hoping with this new "respect/appreciation/notion of equality" for the culture/race in society translates to a black artist being able to carry the same weight the way some white counterparts have been in the past.

I'd agree with the idea, especially in terms of James Brown v rolling stones. But I think that, in general, hip hop is a different beast. In terms of touring, I don't think rap is great stadium music (I'm not going to get into people's fear of a black concert, because that obviously plays a role as well). I can't really think of any artists who I'd like to see in a stadium. I'd much rather see them in a smaller venue, or at the most an arena. MCs in general don't really put on good shows in big venues, imo. In terms of reverance, I wonder if you can compare that either. Hip hop artists don't really (or haven't really, things may be changing in that regard with people like Snoop, Jay, Dr. Dre) have the longevity that a group like U2 or someone like Bruce does. There's a much shorter life span, so they don't really develop that bond with so many people from so many different generations. There are far more groups/individuals in other forms of music who have been around for a long time. Now again, as with James Brown, I'm not suggesting that racism doesn't play a part, because there are artists like Stevie or James or Chaka or Aretha (if she were in shape to do so) that should be able to play 10 dates at the garden, but never will. The only black artist I could think of who could command that is retired (Tina Turner). I think the reverence will change when artists are around for 25 years, still making relevant music. Hip hop ears are fickle. It's a very interesting discussion, though.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Heard the album last night and was a bit surprised that I liked it more than I thought. Regardless to what Time gave it (or Source/XXL/etc.) I agree its better than anything else this year - face it. As far as the Time magazine review, my only beef with it is

"He calls in the heavyweights: Jay-Z, Common, Brandy, Cam'ron, Consequence[/b], the Game, Paul Wall."

When the hell did Con become a heavyweight compared to the other artists listed?

I'd agree with the idea, especially in terms of James Brown v rolling stones. But I think that, in general, hip hop is a different beast. In terms of touring, I don't think rap is great stadium music (I'm not going to get into people's fear of a black concert, because that obviously plays a role as well). I can't really think of any artists who I'd like to see in a stadium. I'd much rather see them in a smaller venue, or at the most an arena. MCs in general don't really put on good shows in big venues, imo. In terms of reverance, I wonder if you can compare that either. Hip hop artists don't really (or haven't really, things may be changing in that regard with people like Snoop, Jay, Dr. Dre) have the longevity that a group like U2 or someone like Bruce does. There's a much shorter life span, so they don't really develop that bond with so many people from so many different generations. There are far more groups/individuals in other forms of music who have been around for a long time. Now again, as with James Brown, I'm not suggesting that racism doesn't play a part, because there are artists like Stevie or James or Chaka or Aretha (if she were in shape to do so) that should be able to play 10 dates at the garden, but never will. The only black artist I could think of who could command that is retired (Tina Turner). I think the reverence will change when artists are around for 25 years, still making relevant music. Hip hop ears are fickle. It's a very interesting discussion, though.

but that what has been the perception of black music even when the artists are great live (Run-DMC, KRS and to a lessor degree Tribe)??? It seems too convenient to "want" to regulate De La to clubs yet for some reason Velvet Revolver (a horrible live act in my opinion) co-headlines a summer shed tour. Isn't the desire to only have artists preach to the converted the crux of the Kayne convo in the first place??? Like since "he really was never all that" the fuss being made over him is misplaced in the first place.

Plus aren't we the posters & lurkers of soulstrut the said fickle Hip Hop fans????

• I'd agree with the idea, especially in terms of James Brown v rolling stones. But I think that, in general, hip hop is a different beast. In terms of touring, I don't think rap is great stadium music (I'm not going to get into people's fear of a black concert, because that obviously plays a role as well). I can't really think of any artists who I'd like to see in a stadium. I'd much rather see them in a smaller venue, or at the most an arena. MCs in general don't really put on good shows in big venues, imo. In terms of reverance, I wonder if you can compare that either. Hip hop artists don't really (or haven't really, things may be changing in that regard with people like Snoop, Jay, Dr. Dre) have the longevity that a group like U2 or someone like Bruce does. There's a much shorter life span, so they don't really develop that bond with so many people from so many different generations. There are far more groups/individuals in other forms of music who have been around for a long time. Now again, as with James Brown, I'm not suggesting that racism doesn't play a part, because there are artists like Stevie or James or Chaka or Aretha (if she were in shape to do so) that should be able to play 10 dates at the garden, but never will. The only black artist I could think of who could command that is retired (Tina Turner). I think the reverence will change when artists are around for 25 years, still making relevant music. Hip hop ears are fickle. It's a very interesting discussion, though.

but that what has been the perception of black music even when the artists are great live (Run-DMC, KRS and to a lessor degree Tribe)??? It seems too convenient to "want" to regulate De La to clubs yet for some reason Velvet Revolver (a horrible live act in my opinion) co-headlines a summer shed tour. Isn't the desire to only have artists preach to the converted the crux of the Kayne convo in the first place??? Like since "he really was never all that" the fuss being made over him is misplaced in the first place.

Plus aren't we the posters & lurkers of soulstrut the said fickle Hip Hop fans????

KRS put on the best show I've ever seen, but I don't know if I'd go see him now. He had a good 12 year run, but he hasn't put out anything I can remember listening to in 8 years. So yes, I guess I am the fickle fan you speak of.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    KRS-ONE still puts on a ridiculous show even though I agree he hasn't released anything ina long time that I have been even remotely interested in. He does mostly his old stuff and people go nuts.

Now again, as with James Brown, I'm not suggesting that racism doesn't play a part, because there are artists like Stevie or James or Chaka or Aretha (if she were in shape to do so) that should be able to play 10 dates at the garden, but never will. The only black artist I could think of who could command that is retired (Tina Turner).

What about the Purple One?

• Now again, as with James Brown, I'm not suggesting that racism doesn't play a part, because there are artists like Stevie or James or Chaka or Aretha (if she were in shape to do so) that should be able to play 10 dates at the garden, but never will. The only black artist I could think of who could command that is retired (Tina Turner).

What about the Purple One?

Forgot about him.

KRS put on the best show I've ever seen, but I don't know if I'd go see him now. He had a good 12 year run, but he hasn't put out anything I can remember listening to in 8 years. So yes, I guess I am the fickle fan you speak of.

Can anyone name a hit the Rolling Stones have had in the last 20 years and yet their fans seem perfectly fine shelling out $100+ with no new hit, video etc. Maybe we shouldn't be so mad when these rappers strive to be "bizness men/women"

• I heard the Paul wall track. Lyrically and flow wise Paul's verse is But the production sounds exactly like shit even I could make on my EPS in 97 or something. For some dude who's claiming to be this generations Stevie the dude comes with some of the most underwhelming production. Like seriously those beats sound like indie-rap records from 2000.

• From Hits...

Fans Flock to Retail to Grab Up the Follow-up to Kanye West???s 2004 Breakthrough

August 31, 2005

The college dropout has graduated magna cum laude, with early returns of Kanye West???s just-released Late Registration indicating the album will reack up a first-week tally north of 800k, with a real shot at 850k.
    The album is a testament not only to the urbane rapper???s broad appeal but also to a brilliant setup by Def Jam/IDJ, as the red-hot label continues to ride high under the leadership of L.A. Reid and Shawn Carter. I mean, the cover of Time the week before release???that???s getting it done!
    Tony Yayo, the latest G-Unit member to release an album, is rapping his way toward a strong showing in the vicinity of 225k on his Interscope debut, putting UMG and hip-hop in the first two slots on next week???s chart.
    Shooting for #3 are Brooks & Dunn (Arista Nashville), with 100k-125k in their sights, as Joe Galante and Butch Waugh???s RCA Label Group stays on its hot streak heading into the all-important Q4.