'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    i'd also like to know.... how much of toronto are you guys actually seeing down there? still basically nothing at all media wise?

any coverage of there being more people outside of our arena for away games than inside the barclay?

Besides skyline shots and goofy fans that should be at home or at the bar, what more do u suggest we see?

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    i'd also like to know.... how much of toronto are you guys actually seeing down there? still basically nothing at all media wise?

any coverage of there being more people outside of our arena for away games than inside the barclay?

Besides skyline shots and goofy fans that should be at home or at the bar, what more do u suggest we see?

i just mean that every time i've been in the states watching sportscenter, the raptors barely even make the ticker, let alone a highlight package. much the same way canada treats basketball here*. i tried to watch the game on an american station last night but the broadcast went WAS/CHI, GSW/LAC, sunday primetime shows, evening news, POR/HOU. i dont claim conspiracy, but i'm just wondering if american viewers even have the opportunity to watch the games, if they should happen to have the interest in it.

also, the area outside of the arena is full-serve for alcohol through the 4th quarter, and right outside of one of the biggest bars in the city.

* = i know about media blackouts. on the station that claims to be "home of the raptors" here in toronto, on a night where the raps win a playoff game they go with out of town hockey playoffs as the lede, show raps/nets 14 minutes into the broadcast, and the rest of the playoff wrap up after the half hour mark.

These current Raptors i dont think had many or any nationally broadcasted games, compared to the Vince Carter years were they were on tv enough.

I have NBA TV so i was able to check them whenever regardless TNT, ESPN, or ABC.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    you can't force someone to sell their business based on something they say. anyone who thinks that this is a possibility is outside of their mind...

It's a lot more complicated than an autonomous business....his business is a team that operates within a league...couldn't the league opt to kick his business/team out of the league?

I really don't know the official rules within the NBA as it pertains to what they can and can't do to a team. But I don't think this is as simple as a business owner who is racist running a store.

And, I would like to believe that in the year two thousand fourteen this dude doesn't just get the Marge Schott treatment...I don't think suspension is nearly enough.

JectWon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    you can't force someone to sell their business based on something they say. anyone who thinks that this is a possibility is outside of their mind...

It's a lot more complicated than an autonomous business....his business is a team that operates within a league...couldn't the league opt to kick his business/team out of the league?

I really don't know the official rules within the NBA as it pertains to what they can and can't do to a team. But I don't think this is as simple as a business owner who is racist running a store.

And, I would like to believe that in the year two thousand fourteen this dude doesn't just get the Marge Schott treatment...I don't think suspension is nearly enough.

I dont recall Schott leaving immediately. .....Banned for two years and then sold her majority.

I dont see anything that much quicker w Sterling.

batmon said:
    JectWon said:
    vintageinfants said:

I dont recall Schott leaving immediately. .....Banned for two years and then sold her majority.

Actually...when I meant "The Schott treatement" I meant just the suspension/ban aspect of it. I didn't even realize that she sold her portion due to her controversy.

At any rate, I think the speed of it all relates to what sponsors pull out of the club and/or the NBA. If brands start pulling out of NBA coverage/events/etc (depending on how the NBA handles this shit show) I bet things get expedited.

• regardless of what can LEGALLY be done, the boys in seattle who've already spent over a BILLION dollars to get an NBA team back there before the new TV deal gets signed are audibly licking their chops over this scandal.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Supension and back in a year.

A while ago either Motown or somebody who hatted on The Clippers said their success with be short lived since theyll find a way to fuck it up.

This fucks with the franchises money in the long term and the NBAs.

Do the Owners ostracize this dude or turn the other way?

I wanna know what this guy did to deserve the NAACP Lifetime Achievement Award?

haha.....$$$$$$$$

Think he'll get a refund?

b/w

RIP Dr. Jack....he coached the least talented Championship team ever which is a testament to his coaching ability.

• JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    JectWon said:
    vintageinfants said:

Actually...when I meant "The Schott treatement" I meant just the suspension/ban aspect of it. I didn't even realize that she sold her portion due to her controversy.

At any rate, I think the speed of it all relates to what sponsors pull out of the club and/or the NBA. If brands start pulling out of NBA coverage/events/etc (depending on how the NBA handles this shit show) I bet things get expedited.

the GM of toronto said "fuck brooklyn" very publicly (in front of 10,000 fans and on national television) and walked away with a $25k fine. there is no possible way an audio tape of a guy being prejudiced at home, regardless of if it brings attention to his bigoted past, is going to get the brand of justice it deserves.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    regardless of what can LEGALLY be done, the boys in seattle who've already spent over a BILLION dollars to get an NBA team back there before the new TV deal gets signed are audibly licking their chops over this scandal.

The who that spent what?

• dukeofdelridge said:
    vintageinfants said:
    regardless of what can LEGALLY be done, the boys in seattle who've already spent over a BILLION dollars to get an NBA team back there before the new TV deal gets signed are audibly licking their chops over this scandal.

The who that spent what?

frustrated kajillionaires Steve Ballmer and Chris Hansen are the greatest owners the NBA never had. They made a shockingly lavish offer for the Kings ($420 million for 72 percent of the team, a $115 million relocation fee (to be divided by the other 29 owners) and $200 million for repaid bonds toward a new Seattle arena (along with the $80 million they had already spent on land). and the biggest offer for the Bucks (more than $600 million, from what I heard). Two committed billionaires desperately trying to bring the NBA back to a passionate market, willing to spend their own money on an arena and knowing they can fill every suite and courtside seat  and they cant get a team? Incredible.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Supension and back in a year.

A while ago either Motown or somebody who hatted on The Clippers said their success with be short lived since theyll find a way to fuck it up.

This fucks with the franchises money in the long term and the NBAs.

Do the Owners ostracize this dude or turn the other way?

I wanna know what this guy did to deserve the NAACP Lifetime Achievement Award?

haha.....$$$$$$$$

Exactly. The federal government went after Sterling for for racist rental practices and he was still able to buy the NAACP's favor. Supposedly the NAACP is going to give back everything Sterling donated but they still look like fools. They should keep the money and put it to good use. Giving Sterling his money back just helps him.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rest in Peace Dr. Jack Ramsey....loved his game commentaries.

RIP

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    JectWon said:

SPONSORS. Those are the folks with the power to do something.
    If Oracle pulls their naming rights, if all the local "Official ________ of the Warriors" pull out of their contracts, and so on.
    Sterling will be forced to sell.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

frustrated kajillionaires Steve Ballmer and Chris Hansen are the greatest owners the NBA never had. They made a shockingly lavish offer for the Kings ($420 million for 72 percent of the team, a $115 million relocation fee (to be divided by the other 29 owners) and $200 million for repaid bonds toward a new Seattle arena (along with the $80 million they had already spent on land). and the biggest offer for the Bucks (more than $600 million, from what I heard). Two committed billionaires desperately trying to bring the NBA back to a passionate market, willing to spend their own money on an arena and knowing they can fill every suite and courtside seat  and they cant get a team? Incredible.

plz 2 chillify on definitions of "spent" and "passionate market."

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

If Oracle pulls their naming rights, if all the local "Official ________ of the Warriors" pull out of their contracts, and so on.

"Pulling out" of contracts isn't always that easy unless there's a magic 'racist rant tape' clause in there.

Still, there is a lot of pressure that can be brought to bear. The fact that the Clippers won't ever be profitable again as long as he is the owner not being the least.

Also, nobody really knows what the NBA can do because the constitution has never been made public, but don't be surprised if there are severe penalties for bringing dishonor to the league or somesuch.

Horseleech said:

Also, nobody really knows what the NBA can do because the constitution has never been made public, but don't be surprised if there are severe penalties for bringing dishonor to the league or somesuch.

This is what I'm interested in seeing. The fact that this team is a part of a league with its own set of rules and code of conduct is what completely changes this situation from being as simple as "a business man can be as big of a dick as he wants to be"...the legality of snatching someone's "business" away isn't the same when you are talking about a part of an overall league.

I have s strong feeling that there is some type of clause that can be acted upon if the league thinks that an owner's or player's actions negatively impact the image of the NBA. However, I don't know if that requires a vote from other owners...I assume it would be a vote system if it exists at all.

Its gonna take a while for another ownership group to wanna even take on that franchise if he gets teh Ban.

I predict cosmetic punishment in the short term.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    you can't force someone to sell their business based on something they say. anyone who thinks that this is a possibility is outside of their mind, it goes against the first amendment laws that you americans hold so dear, up to and including someone's right to say racist things if they want to. he CAN be pressured to do something like step down or ask him to sell his majority stake, but thinking you can force someone to sell and walk away from a business they've owned for 30 years just because they're a pilled up, toxic, bigoted, delusional, anachronistic dumpster fire reminder of america's past you're fucking kidding yourself.

best case scenario: we just stop hearing about him.

almost nothing in this post is correct, in regards to the NBA or owning a franchise. its like living in a co-op, if the other owners want you out, your ass is gone. there is nothing in the 1st amendment about protection from other board members of a private business, what the hell are you talking about? the government isn't taking his team away.

the rest of you are WAayyyyy more pessimistic than I am about this. he's fucking everyone's business up, no way in hell he's owner of the Clippers on opening night next season.

• thrope said:
    vintageinfants said:
    you can't force someone to sell their business based on something they say. anyone who thinks that this is a possibility is outside of their mind, it goes against the first amendment laws that you americans hold so dear, up to and including someone's right to say racist things if they want to. he CAN be pressured to do something like step down or ask him to sell his majority stake, but thinking you can force someone to sell and walk away from a business they've owned for 30 years just because they're a pilled up, toxic, bigoted, delusional, anachronistic dumpster fire reminder of america's past you're fucking kidding yourself.

best case scenario: we just stop hearing about him.

almost nothing in this post is correct, in regards to the NBA or owning a franchise. its like living in a co-op, if the other owners want you out, your ass is gone. there is nothing in the 1st amendment about protection from other board members of a private business, what the hell are you talking about? the government isn't taking his team away.

the rest of you are WAayyyyy more pessimistic than I am about this. he's fucking everyone's business up, no way in hell he's owner of the Clippers on opening night next season.

please support this claim with evidence.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140426/donald-sterling-la-clippers-adam-silver-nba/

I love Mark Jackson.....rooted for the dude since he was at St. Johns....I think he's a great coach....I hope his Warriors off the Clippers for reasons that don't include Donald Sterling.

But Jackson calling for a fan boycott of their game in L.A. is bullshit.....after all, who stands to gain the most from an empty arena and no home court advantage?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    my simplification of "vote his ass out" may have been technically incorrect, but my point stands (and to be clear, in every article that says NO WAY THEY JUST BOOT HIM, HE'LL SUE! you'll notice it never says they literally can't, just that they wont). If the other 29 owners do not want donald sterling to own the LA clippers, they will find a way to get rid of him.

how exactly will the clippers exist next season..

1. without a coach?

2. if players refuse to play.

3. with zero advertisers (dropping like flies today)

he has setup an environment that a professional sports team simply cannot exist in. i believe they would eventually win a lawsuit vs sterling, after proving that he ruined his franchise and isn't fit to be an owner. and let me double down that this has absolutely nothing to do with the 1st amendment

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    you really think the owners would let a lockout happen if the players union said "hey we're striking if you don't get rid of this fucking guy" ?

• thrope said:
    you really think the owners would let a lockout happen if the players union said "hey we're striking if you don't get rid of this fucking guy" ?

we'll find out tomorrow at 2pm, wont we?

this is the single biggest decision adam silver will have to make as commissioner of the league.

Why is Jordan the only owner with statements?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    its at a point where even if it is 100% ILLEGAL the writing is on the wall for his ouster....

thrope said:
    its at a point where even if it is 100% ILLEGAL the writing is on the wall for his ouster....

By whom?

the League or the Owners?

Schott bowed out....and didnt get booted.

batmon said:
    Why is Jordan the only owner with statements?

Not true......

Miami Heat owner Micky Arison called the recording "offensive, appalling and very sad." San Antonio Spurs owner Peter Holt urged patience as the details are sorted out, but also acknowledged this wasn't the first racial controversy involving Donald Sterling and called the comments "obviously disgusting."

New Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive took to Twitter to give his own thoughts on the situation and urged for "zero tolerance" if the TMZ recording is verified.

Mark Cuban
    "They stand on their own, just because they're pretty self-evident on the surface," Cuban said. "There's no reason to add any commentary or headlines to it. ...
    "The obvious is the obvious. There's no reason for me to repeat the obvious."
    Cuban did acknowledge the severity of the issue, but he repeatedly said it's an issue for commissioner Adam Silver and the league to address.

Boston Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck was quiet on the subject, stating NBA commissioner Adam Silver speaks for all owners, and that they stand behind his leadership.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    batmon said:
    thrope said:

By whom?

the League or the Owners?

Schott bowed out....and didnt get booted.

He won't get ousted per se, but he will get suspended for at least a year and it will be impressed upon him that the Clippers will plummet in value the longer that he holds on to them. He'll sell sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

Aren't the League and the Owners one in the same?