breaking bad season 5 ...lets smoke some glass

Comments

• It is an interesting theory, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong. Gretchen and Gale having identical handwriting is a huge stretch, while Gale giving that book to Walt is much less of a stretch.

• that would be real real lame if it was a book from gretchen. i dont think they go that route. regardless, it got hank thinking seriously of what he wouldnt have ever considered. all he has to do now is connect the dots:
    the mr. magoo car crash on the way to the laundry
    the mysterious gambling winnings and walts beat up face > buying the car wash
    the gasmask and stolen goods from the school chem lab
    skylars breakup
    the rolex and the muscle cars
    the "weed" connection to jesse > connected to the RV methlab > the marie hospital phone call > tuco (same time as the fugue state) > jesse's friend combo peddling bluesky

im not sure if any of that is solid courtroom evidence, but hank's good enough an investigator to see all the overlap. but now he needs to manufacture some real evidence or just confront/beat the shit out of Walt. Im not sure if Hank will understand the extent of Walt's responsibility. But if he starts digging around Ted Benake or Jesse's crib (which might still have 5 mill lying around the house) Walt is in deep shit.

i saw someone theorize that Walt could act like he was guilty of just doing some consulting work for Fring and teaching Gail formulas. but i think hank definitely digs deeper before he confronts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    An interesting theory from someone on AVClub:

Here's what I think no one is getting. Gale didn't give the book to Walt. That's my guess anyway. We never actually saw Gale giving him the book. That's the impression they wanted to leave, but I think it was an intentionally misleading impression.

Gale and Walt talked about Leaves of Grass, and then we see Walt reading it. But we don't see Gale giving it to Walt. I think Walt had it already. If you noticed, it looked like a pretty old book; not something Gale would have bought recently and given to Walt (and he certainly wouldn't give Walt his only copy).

Who gave it to him, then? Gretchen. I had to google it, but Gretchen's maiden name was Black. Therefore also G.B.

And the inscription makes sense. And when Walt chuckles when he reads it, he's not chuckling while thinking of Gale; it's a rueful chuckle when he thinks about how he used to work with Gretchen at Gray Matter.

This also explains why Walt wouldn't destroy this book as he did the other evidence of his crimes; Gretchen gave it to him, he knows that, and doesn't think twice about it.

And so the big irony; Hank figures out who Walt is via a clue that shouldn't even have been a clue to begin with.

I nearly posted this. It sounds like the kind of thing Gilligan and his writers would put in there, no question. But I can't find anything using Google to confirm Gretchen's maiden name. And in the exchange where Gale recites When I Heard The Learn'd Astronomer (s3, ep 6), it's because Walt asks him - he doesn't know the poem. This doesn't have to mean that Gretchen never gave Walt the book, of course, but I can't help thinking it stretches what's in some ways a plausible theory just that little bit too far.

• her last name is schwartz, which means black in deutsch. but her maiden name might have began with a b?? before she married elliot schwartz and took his last name, in the days when she was going out with walt and might have given him a book.

• Word, I posted it before properly checking - it's possible, but more likely from Gale.

This season has had it's weak points but this episode was total tv crack.

• no way. its much more interesting if hank knows or at least strongly suspects. the roles flip, and instead of walt being the insider to hanks world, hank can spy on walt without his immediate suspicion. thing is, what evidence can he dig up at this point?

• tripledouble said:

Pages and pages of the comments on this video are all about BB.

• My big question: what was the result of the cat scan? At first, I thought that Walt's exit from the game was due to seeing all the money he'd amassed, but then I began to wonder if the cancer's back. This season's opening scene made it look like he had recovered, or at least regrown his hair.

• I saw the longer hair / no goatee as a disguise. Wasn't he coughing and taking meds? I'd have to watch it again, but I remember thinking he seemed ill in that flash forward.

but your idea is a good one -- maybe he got bad news from the doc.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yes that's right...hank can't kick a cancer striken man when he is down or can he?

this anti-aircraft gun thing must be Walt's final scheme, blaze of glory to save his family style

• interesting that his assumed identity in the season opener was from New Hampshire, the "live free or die" state. some people get confuses and thought the scene was in n.h., but from what i remember he was in new mexico and the waitress says "long way from home". no indication that he ever was gone.

walt punched the towel dispenser when he realized he was in remission, which complicated his death by cancer end game. so its very ambiguous if the cancer is back and hes happy, or its not but his attitude has changed. the ambiguity is obviously on purpose

• i had very few complaints with the last eight episodes.
    but for the next half, more Badger, Skinny Pete, Saul Goodman please

• tripledouble said:
    i had very few complaints with the last eight episodes.
    but for the next half, more Badger, Skinny Pete, Saul Goodman please

When Lydia mentions "the lawyer" in her meeting with Walt i almost freaked out for a second before I realized it was Mike's guy.

• Not sure if you guys have covered this, my screen writer friend has heard this will be the last season. So with that in mind and these book developments it will probably lead hank to catching Walt. That's my guess.
    Walt has to lose in the end it's the only way it seems.. He's lost his humanity.

Thoroughly enjoying this season, the blue persuasion montage was really great this episode.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    Beatsoup said:
    Not sure if you guys have covered this, my screen writer friend has heard this will be the last season.

• the Gretchen theory was interesting for a second, until i saw these handwriting comparisons

• it wasnt even that interesting. that wouldve been some bush league shit and would have served no purpose to the plot except for the viewers to partially excuse walt for being a dumb ass and leave that book lying around...but even if she had given it to him, he should have known better, inscription or no inscription.

Kill ten potential witnesses? Half measures!!! hide the poetry, Heisenberg! Hide the fuckin poetry!

• someone at avclub wrote this comprehensive list up of hanks options (obviously post poop):

At the moment he has a couple of options.
    1. Storm out of the bathroom with his pants down and confront Walt then and there. (stupid)
    2. Storm out of the bathroom with his pants back on and confront Walt then and there. (still stupid)
    3. Tell the DEA, do a secret investigation on Walt and then get him (better, but he'll still probably get fired).
    4. Tell the DEA, explain how he had literally no idea and convince them not to fire him, then secret investigation (best for him if possible, still screws up his entire extended family)
    5. Tell Walt and become an accomplice (He'll never do this, plus it's extremely stupid, Walt may kill him)
    6. Do nothing. (Better for everyone, everyone gets their happy ending, although this case will continue to plague him. Also this will NEVER happen. Happy endings do not compute with Breaking Bad.)

any other options for agent schrader?
    im not sure hank gives walt credit for the entire operation and related events. he still sees Walt as harmless

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    someone at avclub wrote this comprehensive list up of hanks options (obviously post poop):

At the moment he has a couple of options.
    1. Storm out of the bathroom with his pants down and confront Walt then and there. (stupid)
    2. Storm out of the bathroom with his pants back on and confront Walt then and there. (still stupid)
    3. Tell the DEA, do a secret investigation on Walt and then get him (better, but he'll still probably get fired).
    4. Tell the DEA, explain how he had literally no idea and convince them not to fire him, then secret investigation (best for him if possible, still screws up his entire extended family)
    5. Tell Walt and become an accomplice (He'll never do this, plus it's extremely stupid, Walt may kill him)
    6. Do nothing. (Better for everyone, everyone gets their happy ending, although this case will continue to plague him. Also this will NEVER happen. Happy endings do not compute with Breaking Bad.)

any other options for agent schrader?
    im not sure hank gives walt credit for the entire operation and related events. he still sees Walt as harmless

I do think the next episode in June will pick up right where this one left off. Well, not right where. They will skip Hank's poop/wiping/etc. But I bet it will pick up with Hank coming back outside. I bet he says something very subtle just to see Walt's reaction. And then he'll struggle with it a good portion of the last 8 episodes.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Discuss.

I think this reading is thoughtful and well-organised, but it's a bit too Media Studies 101. It feels as if the writer chose the angle first, and reverse-engineered the argument to fit. There's a lot of important aspects to the story and the character development that this guy completely ignores, seemingly because to do otherwise would leave quite a few holes in his argument.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Discuss.

I think this reading is thoughtful and well-organised, but it's a bit too Media Studies 101. It feels as if the writer chose the angle first, and reverse-engineered the argument to fit. There's a lot of important aspects to the story and the character development that this guy completely ignores, seemingly because to do otherwise would leave quite a few holes in his argument.

This kind of article misses the point of a show like this--it's well written and fun to watch. I think you're right about the reverse-engineering of the article to fit their point of view. This sort of thing is more my speed:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Discuss.

This kind of article misses the point of a show like this--it's well written and fun to watch. I think you're right about the reverse-engineering of the article to fit their point of view. This sort of thing is more my speed:

Or this:

• The writer's dig at Chrysler for advertising their 300C on a terrible-drug-dealing-bad-person-show is ridiculous. The point, obvious to everyone but the writer, it seems, is that a murdered-out 300C is a badass car. Walt fancies himself a badass, so he buys one.

Is he OK with The Wire, in which the drug dealers are also protagonists (and all black)?

Breaking Bad has reached the point where the glut of "deep" online commentary about it is masturbatory and ridiculous.

That said, the posts here about visual rhetoric on Breaking Bad are very interesting and well-supported.

• DJ_Enki said:

:face_melt:

dug the finale, really bummed about having to wait 10 months for the rest.

the prison killings montage was insane, probably the craziest thing i've ever watched on scripted TV.

i hope next season opens with hank wiping.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Breaking Bad has reached the point where the glut of "deep" online commentary about it is masturbatory and ridiculous.

That said, the posts here about visual rhetoric on Breaking Bad are very interesting and well-supported.

Reminds me of that insane essay breaking down the final scenes in "The Sopranos". Visual rhetoric, ftw!

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    cookbook said:

i hope next season opens with hank wiping.

the season opener was off the charts, vince is wasting no time with what few eps we have left...

thoughts on the White home run down and gated up?

the oranges, the godfather... poor carol

lydia is already back? are we going to see some Madrigal muscle soon?

jesse's paper boy moves were great

tread lightly and have an A-1 day!

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    gus fring blowback, who was he, before the late 80's, untouchable by the cartel ...?
    and walt bragging about offing him, tisk tisk
    jesse, last man standing after cartel purge, must be consequences

angry czeck's with purity rage, will they come calling

and todd and the a.b.

ww stepping to hank, damb

and who will taste the outlet spice

poor carol, almost blown up in season 4, will she go into cardiac arrest

lydia / skyler cat fight in the future ??

will saul get his cut ?
    or kaylee ?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Walt will die of cancer.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Walt will die of cancer.

JESSE will die of cancer. What a twist!