breaking bad season 5 ...lets smoke some glass

Comments

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Wait, what?! Why is next weeks episode the last of the season?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    Wait, what?! Why is next weeks episode the last of the season?

Because the last season is split into 2 half-seasons, each are 8 episodes. I don't know when the very last 8 episodes (second half of the season) starts. Maybe not until next summer, but I hope sooner.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    Amazing ending to Mike
    I lost it when Walt realized he didnt have to kill Mike.
    Dam.

The echoes of Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid in that scene have been widely commented upon. Kind of in keeping with the western motifs that have run through the whole season.

• there's a scene an episode or two back where walt gives jesse the day off because he's had a long/bad day or whatever. as jesse is leaving walt starts whistling some song. jesse is just staring at walt whistle. i thought it showed walts nonchalance about the kid on the dirt bike dying but my friend thought there was more to it. he started googling and he came upon a blog or something that said that the song walt was whistling was called "lilly of the valley".

• Diabolicle.

flatblackplastic said:
    there's a scene an episode or two back where walt gives jesse the day off because he's had a long/bad day or whatever. as jesse is leaving walt starts whistling some song. jesse is just staring at walt whistle. i thought it showed walts nonchalance about the kid on the dirt bike dying but my friend thought there was more to it. he started googling and he came upon a blog or something that said that the song walt was whistling was called "lilly of the valley".

And if you think that's some insanely detailed, layers-upon-layers shit, read what Vince Gilligan has to say about how they developed the S2 story arc in this Salon piece. Absolutely fucking nuts.

• aguaconsal said:
    meistromoco said:
    I think something in Gus' past will surface and drive the conflict. That, the DEA, and maybe something with the IRS & Tyler's (late) boss. I can't really think of anything else

btw, pardon the latte pass, but I just learned that the actor that Giancarlo Esposito, who played this guy:

Also played this guy:

Mind. blown.

also this one:

AND... for about just 30 seconds, this. amazing. movie. trying to sell madonna a hat and sunglasses.
    (little girl knowledge)

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    he was also G's son on the late seasons of Homicide

• predictions for tonight?
    i think dennis gets merked. meth damon aka todd continues to study the craft a little too hard. jesse and skylar start to chat. declan realizes the emperor wears no clothes

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Holy fuck, what a finale.

Now another fucking year before I see what happens next.

This episode was so ridiculously epic.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I thought that epi was painfully slow.

• the hand stabbing needed to be quicker??? sheeesh

• I thought it was great. Lots of good sequences. Felt like one of the kids was going to die in the last scene. Pretty awesome to know that Hank is finally onto Walt.

After last week's preview, I was kind of bummed on the whole I'll go down the list and kill them all plan. How's he going to be one step ahead of the DEA for nine murders, but damn... All at once in a two minute chunk with some brutal deaths. Damn.

• That was crazy..showed everyone getting done.

I spotted the book at the start and guessed it would have something to do with things later..couldn't make out the title in the first scene..

Next summer is too far.

• ten months to ponder what Hank's immediate reaction is.

and is Walt really out? that seems logistically difficult considering the arrangements he has going

• Holy cr??pes.
    That was packed. Macabre music sequences, creative dissolves and time-lapses aplenty. Suspense out the ass.
    We got a lot of shit out the way that episode and now we're ready for the grand denouement. I need to let it all sink in.
    Was that Crystal Blue song commissioned for the series? If not, they must have been waiting hard for the best possible moment to drop it.
    I don't want to predict a thing about how this is going to play out, and I don't mind at all that we're not going to see it again for a year or so.
    Walt's new shades LOL
    Marie's purple shagpile rug :feelin_it:

• tripledouble said:
    meth damon

Bingo!

I said he looked like ginger Matt Damon to my Mrs a few weeks back.

• When Jesse pulled out the gun I thought for a split second he might kill himself

• djwaxon said:
    When Jesse pulled out the gun I thought for a split second he might kill himself

No. He found out Walt killed Mike and then had the nine legacy guys killed. He thought he was next. Random drop-in by crazy Walt? Jesse had the gun to shoot Walt if things got wild. That's why he was basically hyperventilating opening the bag of money.

• Yeah I soon realised it was for protection against Walt. In that split second I thought he might be overwhelmed with guilt about his "blood money" though.

I could see Jesse killing himself, I think he's emotional enough to do that. Mind you, will he find out about the Lily Of The Valley...

tripledouble said:
    ten months to ponder what Hank's immediate reaction is.

and is Walt really out? that seems logistically difficult considering the arrangements he has going

Good point. Could he have left the business to Todd? If it messes up then surely it'd still be on Walt's head. Was he still selling through the Phoenix guys or purely through Lydia?

If Walt is indeed back to being Walt rather than Heisenberg, then who will people want to prevail, Hank or Walt? Judging by the cold opening at the start of the series there's a bit of Heisenberg left...

Good episode.

• This show has been so uneven with some great episodes here and there and many mediocre ones featuring rushed storytelling and huge leaps in progression. There have been a lot of coincidences. That being said the good suspense-driven episodes in a post wire world keep me coming back.

A few thoughts on the last episode, why would Aryan Brotherhood dudes with a far reaching influence talk shop in front of an outsider (Walt) or for that matter take orders from him when he has absolutely no clout left without Mike? This is inconsistent with basic gang conduct.

The jail killings were a big stretch. At the very least all of the homicides would be caught on video and these guys would have no opportunity to be released. They must have received a huge pay off from Walt to their families to throw away their lives for these contracted killings.

And back to Mike, why would he be that careless meeting with Walt knowing how unpredictable and volatile he is already? Mike is supposed to be a meticulous careful ass dude, no? I guess we were supposed to take a leap and guess that he was so tired from being tailed and losing his dough that he just didn't care anymore to keep his guard up when he met Walt before he got got.

• The flash scene with Walt waving his hands and saying "you got me!" to Hank reminded me of something else I'd seen.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Slightly off topic but how good have the music choices been this season?

The Peddlers' version of "On a Clear Day" was aces. And I can't believe they waited this long to pull "Crystal Blue Persuasion" out.

• Humanacat said:
    This show has been so uneven with some great episodes here and there and many mediocre ones featuring rushed storytelling and huge leaps in progression. There have been a lot of coincidences. That being said the good suspense-driven episodes in a post wire world keep me coming back.

A few thoughts on the last episode, why would Aryan Brotherhood dudes with a far reaching influence talk shop in front of an outsider (Walt) or for that matter take orders from him when he has absolutely no clout left without Mike? This is inconsistent with basic gang conduct.

The jail killings were a big stretch. At the very least all of the homicides would be caught on video and these guys would have no opportunity to be released. They must have received a huge pay off from Walt to their families to throw away their lives for these contracted killings.

And back to Mike, why would he be that careless meeting with Walt knowing how unpredictable and volatile he is already? Mike is supposed to be a meticulous careful ass dude, no? I guess we were supposed to take a leap and guess that he was so tired from being tailed and losing his dough that he just didn't care anymore to keep his guard up when he met Walt before he got got.

coincidences happened in the wire too. they are plot devices that help make things interesting. this is not reality, so i cut it some slack.
    todd's nazi family had walt in the room cause todd vouched for him as being a heavy heavy hitter in the meth world who could afford their murder services. we'd assume that dudes stabbing people up in prison are lifers anyway.
    mike did get careless and in a way provoked walt into a rage. lot of half measures from mike, but he has fucked up in past seasons too, so he shouldnt be on such a pedestal.

tripledouble said:
    Humanacat said:
    This show has been so uneven with some great episodes here and there and many mediocre ones featuring rushed storytelling and huge leaps in progression. There have been a lot of coincidences. That being said the good suspense-driven episodes in a post wire world keep me coming back.

coincidences happened in the wire too. they are plot devices that help make things interesting. this is not reality, so i cut it some slack.
    todd's nazi family had walt in the room cause todd vouched for him as being a heavy heavy hitter in the meth world who could afford their murder services. we'd assume that dudes stabbing people up in prison are lifers anyway.
    mike did get careless and in a way provoked walt into a rage. lot of half measures from mike, but he has fucked up in past seasons too, so he shouldnt be on such a pedestal.

Yeah, Mike has made the odd mistake and error of judgement in the past, at least often enough for it to be plausible that he could make a more serious one at some point. There's been a few moments where the uncertainty about his new situation saw him disregard the instincts which made him such an efficient cleaner in the earlier seasons - choosing not to whack Lydia being the most obvious of those. And whilst he neither liked nor trusted Walt, there was no reason at that point for Mike to see him as an actual physical threat. After all, it was Walt who warned him that the lawyer had been arrested and that he was next.

The shank-a-thon had obvious echoes of the baptism scene from The Godfather, and it was easily the most shocking screen violence I've seen since the scene in season 4 of The Wire where Chris literally beats Mikey's "stepdad" to death. Hideous almost to the point of being unwatchable, especially how they did Dennis.

Still no nearer figuring out the significance of the season's cold open. Obviously things are going to resume with Hank trying to make sense of his revelation. I think he'll quickly find more and more evidence to support the possibility that Walt and Heisenberg are one and the same, but how does he deal with the fact that his family connection to Walt leaves him utterly compromised professionally? Especially as he's pretty much the only conventionally moral character left amongst the main cast. It's certainly set us up for one hell of a talking pillow scene.

• Some extra curricular reading from Reddit - IAmA location scout from Breaking Bad's recent seasons.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/zaw2h/i_am_the_location_scout_for_the_show_breaking_bad/

• An interesting theory from someone on AVClub:

Here's what I think no one is getting. Gale didn't give the book to Walt. That's my guess anyway. We never actually saw Gale giving him the book. That's the impression they wanted to leave, but I think it was an intentionally misleading impression.

Gale and Walt talked about Leaves of Grass, and then we see Walt reading it. But we don't see Gale giving it to Walt. I think Walt had it already. If you noticed, it looked like a pretty old book; not something Gale would have bought recently and given to Walt (and he certainly wouldn't give Walt his only copy).

Who gave it to him, then? Gretchen. I had to google it, but Gretchen's maiden name was Black. Therefore also G.B.

And the inscription makes sense. And when Walt chuckles when he reads it, he's not chuckling while thinking of Gale; it's a rueful chuckle when he thinks about how he used to work with Gretchen at Gray Matter.

This also explains why Walt wouldn't destroy this book as he did the other evidence of his crimes; Gretchen gave it to him, he knows that, and doesn't think twice about it.

And so the big irony; Hank figures out who Walt is via a clue that shouldn't even have been a clue to begin with.