I heard Osama is Dead!

Comments

• Options
    Frank said:
    bassie said:
    The problem with revenge is that it never stops.

This is not the end of a war.

Osama already was and will forever be an icon for Islamist terrorists. An evil form of Che Guevara with millions of potential followers worldwide. Look at the worldwide (well, all over the first world) leftwing intellectual movements of the 60s. Very few like the German RAF or the Weathermen took to a violent level but even most of those guys were still technically squares from middle class backgrounds and if they were honest to themselves, most probably still had visions of growing old, building homes, having families and leading lifes as more or less orderly citizens.

Now look at all those muslim countries out there. There is a virtually endless supply of poor, uneducated and disillusioned kids out there. Religion is a powerful tool. These kids have absolutely no perspective for life, they grew up watching their siblings die because their family could not afford the $5 they would have had to spend on lifesaving medication. The official life expectancy in these places is usually somewhere in the mid 40s to mid 50s while you can be sure that the real numbers are much much lower since in most places, the poor don't give birth in hospitals, most never get registered and never show up in any statistics. Look at all the crazy shit that educated people are capable of believing when it comes to religion. With "educated" I mean people who went through a rudimentary first world school system. Now imagine how easy to manipulate some kid must be who never went to any school. As absurd as it may seem to us, they easily will adapt the unshakable belief that martyrdom leads them straight to paradise, including these dozens of virgins who magically are virgins again in the morning after being deflowered the night before. They see the way we live and they don't hate us because we're free or some shit like that, they hate us because we live in excess while they don't have nothing. Their Iman tells them that we're the devil and there's no reason they shouldn't believe that. I mean really believe that, with every fiber of their being. Many generations of kids like these, millions of them, they all now have their icon. Somebody whose killing they can avenge.

That's why this is not the end of a war. Maybe a turning point. And if one thing is for sure, this shit is only ever going to turn for the worse.

I'm not sure I agree with your analysis, Frank. The 9/11 hijackers were not uneducated men. One of the problems in the Muslim world - especially Saudi Arabia - is that there are plenty of educated young men who can't find jobs. Sure, a lot of them have useless religion degrees, but even that requires a high degree of literacy.

The recent democratic uprisings seem like a move in a non-Al Qaeda direction, and it may well be that Al Qaeda has lost its steam. It happens. I haven't heard anything about Baader-Meinhof or the Red Brigades lately.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but as anyone heard the conspiracy theory that Osama Bin Laden never existed? That he was created by the Bush administration to put a face on the war on terror and that is the reason there are no photos? These nutcases will think of anything.

Must have been the first Bush administration. Old Poppy Bush WAS in the CIA.

Bin Laden was an active player during the Soviet/Afghan war. Long before he was the enemy, we supplied him and the Afghan resistance with weapons. If we made him up, we made him up in 1979 and cast him as a bit player who was allied with us at the time. I guess that's possible, but it's a stretch of staggering proportions.

• Options
    bassie said:
    Frank said:
    bassie said:
    The problem with revenge is that it never stops.

This is...

...worse.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The very fact that you are painting all Muslim countries and their people with one brush stroke is just a small, tiny indication of this.

I hope your fans do not take your knowledge of records as knowledge of the greater world as well. This is some cartoon-level explanation of millions of people living through almost as many different realities.

Stick to records and cheese.

Hey, bassie, since "revenge never stops," I guess we're still bombing Japan, huh? Oh, wait, that revenge DID stop.

For someone who genuinely doesn't know what she's talking about you're awfully quick with the slams.

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:
    BobDesperado said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but as anyone heard the conspiracy theory that Osama Bin Laden never existed? That he was created by the Bush administration to put a face on the war on terror and that is the reason there are no photos? These nutcases will think of anything.

Must have been the first Bush administration. Old Poppy Bush WAS in the CIA.

Bin Laden was an active player during the Soviet/Afghan war. Long before he was the enemy, we supplied him and the Afghan resistance with weapons. If we made him up, we made him up in 1979 and cast him as a bit player who was allied with us at the time. I guess that's possible, but it's a stretch of staggering proportions.

I know. I was being sarcastic. It's like saying we invented King George III.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Please, please, please BAN BobDesperado. His incessant trolling is far too tiring.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Please, please, please BAN BobDesperado. His incessant trolling is far too tiring.

Heartfelt co-signature.

The boy has diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the ideas.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:

By "trolling" you mean "disagreeing with HarveyCanal."

It's the only line I've gone over here.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Naw dude, you are closed-minded, overbearing, and way too quick to label anyone who doesn't agree with you something derogatory. I don't even mean to dis you personally, but your internet style needs some reassessing. And I say that as someone who had to do the same sort of thing in the past. I'd love it if you would just take a healthy break from being the most domineering/annoying poster on this board. Otherwise, BAN BAN BAN.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    BobDesperado said:

The astonishing thing is that you actually believe that.

• Options
    HarveyCanal said:
    Naw dude, you are closed-minded, overbearing, and way too quick to label anyone who doesn't agree with you something derogatory. I don't even mean to dis you personally, but your internet style needs some reassessing. And I say that as someone who had to do the same sort of thing in the past. I'd love it if you would just take a healthy break from being the most domineering/annoying poster on this board. Otherwise, BAN BAN BAN.

Are you the same HarveyCanal who wrote this earlier in this thread?:

"I just love when we are forced to live through a psy-ops like this one and all the true believers get so carried away that they leave no room for anyone to say shit unless it's 100% compliant with their company line."

Seems like a different guy.

• Options
    Horseleech said:
    BobDesperado said:

The astonishing thing is that you actually believe that.

I do, based on what other people seem to be able to say here without complaint.

Now's the time to remind people that this site has an ignore feature.

• Options
    From John Cole, this is about how I feel:

"One of the things I found interesting about the inevitable flame post yesterday (inevitable because I quoted Greenwald), is the number of people who are mad that Glenn would ask basic questions like ???Was this legal? Was this an assassination? Why are these stories not adding up???? It???s kind of funny to me, and we had an email exchange about it. Glenn is a civil libertarian, he cares deeply about extrajudicial killings, about targeted assassination, about government secrecy and cover-ups. He???s not being some sort of hypocrite asking about those things, even though Osama was an absolute monster. He???s just sticking to his principles.

I???m the hypocrite here. I???m stridently against extrajudicial killings, the death penalty, targeted assassination, etc. I???d wager most of you are, too.

But when I heard that Osama had been killed, I???ll be damned if I didn???t think ???Thank God that monster is gone.??? Sure, in my ideal world he???d be brought back to the US, tried, and then imprisoned for the rest of his life. But you know what? I can not honestly say I give a damned that he took a double tap to the skull. Sorry. And I???d be also willing to bet that is where most of you all are- this may or may not have been legal, but you don???t give a shit, because that scumbag is at the bottom of an ocean somewhere and got what he deserved. I???d be lying if I didn???t admit that a primitive part of me was sort of sad he didn???t experience any pain.

The thing to remember, though, is that it isn???t Glenn or those who question the administration who are out of line or straying from their principles. It is me. This kind of reminds me of that ass in Orange County who emailed the blatantly racist Obama pictures to every one, and when caught, immediately started screaming ???I???m not a racist! Everyone knows I???m not a racist! Ask all of my former black friends!??? We???re in some bizarro world where being called and labeled a racist is somehow worse than, you know, being a racist and sending racist emails.

People are more worked up about the fact that someone might be calling them a hypocrite than looking at the monster in the mirror who may be acting hypocritically in regards to Osama. I know I???m being a hypocrite, and like Jonathon Capehart, I am ok with it in this case. I???ll promise to do a better job sticking to my principles and caring about the law when it comes to someone who hasn???t murdered thousands of people. I swear."

http://www.balloon-juice.com/2011/05/05/not-helping-2/

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

+1

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    maldorurr said:
    Bon Vivant said:

Yeah, the fact that he planned 9/11. USS Cole, Khobar Towers, etc., say otherwise, IMO. Maybe David Brooks can do those things and not be "one of the most seasoned guerrilla fighters in the world.", but I doubt it. Or is Brooks saying OBL didn't do those things?

Well there's a difference between actually being a "seasoned guerrilla fighter" and planning military or quasimilitary attacks. I don't know Brooks' source and probably what I'm suggesting isn't true most of the time, but I'd imagine there are people who've planned successful terrorist attacks who haven't done shit in terms of actually fighting anyone, and I know there are a lot of 'successful' (whatever that means) fighters, in the literal sense, who couldn't plan a fucking birthday party.

We're going to have to disagree on agreeing here.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Bd can definitely ruin a good thread. I stop reading when I see your name pop up more than once.

• Options
    Possum Tom said:
    Bd can definitely ruin a good thread. I stop reading when I see your name pop up more than once.

Uh huh. And yet somehow you made it here to page 15.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "last page" .. Plus I'm trapped on a 4 hour bus ride with no book.

There's a good chance that you might not have a life.

• Options
    Possum Tom said:

Sure. "Having a life" involves joining in on internet pigpiles, I guess.

Next time bring a book.

But then you're not reading this.

Here's something for your ride:

http://twitter.com/#!/common_squirrel

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    It's the constant poasting that gets me. If dude could post, like, twice a day, that'd probably be ok. These threads used to be interesting discussions, now they're just a series of people responding to Bob and then giving up. Just slow your roll dude.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    Possum Tom said:

Sure. "Having a life" involves joining in on internet pigpiles, I guess.

Next time bring a book.

But then you're not reading this.

Here's something for your ride:

http://twitter.com/#!/common_squirrel
    If my vote to ban you gets it done, then yes... Pigpile.

I'm really not sure what it is that you contribute here. Theses plenty of folks to bump heads with, but your not ever worth it.

If I felt so unwelcome somewhere, I'd probably get the hint and toodles. You just prod everyone with horseshit, and more than anyone with actual things to accomplish could possibly do daily. Just chill.

Do you even have records?

• Options
    Unherd said:
    It's the constant poasting that gets me. If dude could post, like, twice a day, that'd probably be ok. These threads used to be interesting discussions, now they're just a series of people responding to Bob and then giving up. Just slow your roll dude.

So it's a problem because I posted in this thread a few times more than, say, LaserWolf did.

Got it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Frank said:

But thanx for getting all pissy and arrogant on me.

lmho - coming from you this is just amazing!

(You're welcome)

• Options
    Possum Tom said:
    If I felt so unwelcome somewhere, I'd probably get the hint and toodles. You just prod everyone with horseshit, and more than anyone with actual things to accomplish could possibly do daily. Just chill.

Do you even have records?

Thousands.

And for the most part I don't feel unwelcome here.

Once again I'll point out that this site has an ignore feature. If you don't like my posts, use it and put yourself out of your apparent misery.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    Unherd said:

So it's a problem because I posted in this thread a few times more than, say, LaserWolf did.

Got it.
    LW has been on here for years and has contributed considerably to productive convo. You are an infestation.

• Options
    Walk away everyone, you're all just spinning your wheels.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Sween said:
    But I want to smack him with this live eel real quick

• Options
    Possum Tom said:
    Sween said:

Ah, kindergarten.

• Options
    Possum Tom said:
    Sween said:

Gotta catch one first!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Man Dies From Eel Up The Rectum
    by Earl Morningstarr
    Man Dies From Eel Up The Rectum thumbnail

A man from Sichuan Province, China has reportedly died after friends jammed a live eel up his backside as a drunken prank.

Local Chinese press reported that a postmortem examination of the deceased man revealed a 50cm long dead eel inside the man???s rectum, the eel had apparently devoured parts of the man???s bowels.

At first it was believed that the unnamed 59 year old man had eaten a large portion of eel the previous day, but later friends of the deceased confessed that they had shoved the live eel up his bumring whilst he was passed out drunk.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    bassie said:
    Frank said:

But thanx for getting all pissy and arrogant on me.

lmho - coming from you this is just amazing!

(You're welcome)

I'm glad you got to appreciate the irony as much as I did.