Mad Men Season 4

1234568»

Comments

• I thought Peggy's disappointment in the engagement was because she rode so hard for Dr. Miller.

My wife had the same reaction. I mean, he dumps his intelligent, self-made woman for his secretary, who despite getting a pretty fair shake to us, the viewers, doesn't seem like much to the rest of the office. I think a lot of women would react to that with derision or disappointment.

• do we *know* that Peggy was aware that Don and Dr. Miller had a thing?

• I'm not sure if we *know*. But I think we can assume.

I suppose perhaps she didn't know - she did say, "I'd hate to think I'll never see you again"

Maybe she was gunning for Don herself.

• I don't think Peggy knew; they were pretty careful about it (though Peggy may have very well suspected it).

a lot of folks have suggested that Peggy wanted Don. Frankly I don't really see it.

• Dr. Miller was def one of my favs; it was sad to see her get dumped.

She may have been my favorite of Don's girls.

I am SURE there are blogs out there chronicling Don's conquests. Anyone know of a complete list?

• I thought you weren't feeling Faye's elbows.

The more I think about it, the more the dream sequence theory grabs hold.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I thought you weren't feeling Faye's elbows.

The more I think about it, the more the dream sequence theory grabs hold.

she's nowhere near the finest of Don's girls, but she was the most appealing as a person.

see, JP, the difference between you and me is that I can appreciate a woman for more than her physical appearance ;)

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Herm said:

- Don's confused but reflecting look when Cosgrove said his wife is his "life, my actual life."

- That phone call to Faye hit a little close to home. "I hope she knows you only like the beginning of things!" Yeeeeesh.

I think these two lines are the crux of the whole season that starts with the line Who is Don Draper? There's no line between Don's actual life and Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, perhaps because it's something he started. He could easily work anywhere on Madison Ave but he's now tied his fortunes into SCDP and sunk what's probably most of his fortune into it (the $150,000 share he put in for him and Pete inflation adjusts to something like $1,000,000 in 2010 dollars).

Secondarily, Don is impulsive. Whether it's disappearing to California in season two and almost but not quite vanishing from his Don Draper identity, starting SCDP in season three, or marrying Megan in season four he's shown a comfort in charging headlong into new situations based upon his gut instinct. Heck, in flashbacks we see that him stealing Don Draper's identity in Korea and even conning his way into a job at Sterling Cooper were quick acts of intuition.

Where does that leave us at the start of the next season? I think Peggy's statement that she saved the firm by getting the pantyhose account is probably true, it will end up being the straw that broke the camel's back and we'll come back to a thriving SCDP. Also, we'll see Don back in a stable domestic situation with a wife and perhaps even extended child custody duties. Perhaps he'll even be living back in the house in the suburbs. In other words, we'll see Don on the other side of every beginning witnessed in season four. Apparently stable, but with the strong tumult of the late 60s raging around him.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    $100 bucks Don doesn't end up marrying the Toothy Canadian.

Also, I expect to see Faye Miller come back with a vengeance. She knows his secret, plus isn't her dad a mobster or connected to organized crime in some way? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

• I do recall some gangster-related Faye family reference. Can you cite that?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I do recall some gangster-related Faye family reference. Can you cite that?

She's Jewish - close enough.

rootlesscosmo said:
    I do recall some gangster-related Faye family reference. Can you cite that?

There's a dinner-date scene where Faye explains that her father owned a shop, and while perhaps not in the mob, in his line of work he had to be connected to guys who were. And then she says Don is just like him, a "Two Bit Gangster".

So is Faye going to go Carrie Fischer in Blues Brothers on Don?

"You contemptible pig! I remained celibate for you. I stood at the back of a cathedral, waiting, in celibacy, for you, with three hundred friends and relatives in attendance. My uncle hired the best Romanian caterers in the state. To obtain the seven limousines for the wedding party, my father used up his last favor with Mad Pete Trullo. So for me, for my mother, my grandmother, my father, my uncle, and for the common good, I must now kill you, and your brother."

• aw yes. now I recall.

best scene blues brothers scene evar BTW. Jake would've given Don a run for his money in the smooth-talking department.

Jewish woman revenge fantasies up in this thread like whoah.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

As for Henry, yeah. Always seemed like such a decent dude, and was always cool to Don (under the circumstances). Anyway, the honeymoon's over. He's married to a petulant child in a woman's body. Props to him for riding for Carla at least.

the scene a few episodes back where we saw Henry mowing the lawn with that manual mower was one of those moments Mad Men is so great at, saying so much without a word of dialogue or narration. I'm not even sure what was being said at that moment, but it served to make Henry a far more human character, and we saw that he was, after all, just a man, another guy, doing the same bullshit and putting up with the same crap that all men do.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    phongone said:
    $100 bucks Don doesn't end up marrying the Toothy Canadian.

Also, I expect to see Faye Miller come back with a vengeance. She knows his secret, plus isn't her dad a mobster or connected to organized crime in some way? Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

I'm betting she outs Don/Dick in some way.

• so why can't don sleep?did he propose to meagan out of sheer desperation?

henry's line about there being no such thing as fresh starts was cutting.

i still really, really like the show but this season feels like the weakest. perhaps, it was intended to be awkward and transitional but i guess only time will tell...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    How do you all think this is gonna end (or what year will it be when the stop the show)? My wife thinks 1968. I am guessing 68 or 69.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    what the fusk was Betty up to at the end of that episode, anyway? she obviously was waiting for Don (and pretending not to be), all dolled up, ready to tell him how unhappy she was in her new marriage, when he dropped the Meghan Bomb on her. scolded by hubby, she was ready to run back to Don? that girl is a mess. Carla shoulda kicked her ass when she talked shit about her kids. she was like "you'd better not speak anymore."

• SiskinSiskin 10 Posts
    Awesome last episode. Don, you utter fool.! He was obviously totally regretting his impulsivelness by the end. I can almost feel that awful shame myself, where you realise (too late) that you have really made the wrong decision. And I feel so sorry for Meghan. Even though she's fictional!
    Peggy and Joan have so much in common even though Peggy's relationship with Don is only Platonic.
    The start of next season will have a Sopranos-style music montage of: Don in an uneasy domestic idyll, Joan with a baby, SCDP (or is it SDP now?) doing ok - Meghan now a copywriter too, Betty and Henry in some grim set-up.
    Now what? I have to get into Boardwalk Empire I guess....
    So clever of Peggy's lesbian friend to show Peggy that whole pantyhose scenario without saying shit. I love that chick.

Funny, I don't remember any of the reviews of Hot Tub Time Machine mentioning Jessica Par??'s teeth.

• what were you doing reading reviews of Hot Tub Time Machine

• BUMP (no homo)

• BUMP (no homo)