Mad Men Season 4

Comments

• Yeah, it's not like they played "Blowjob Betty Bethany" during that scene.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I really hope they leave that yung_creative dude behind and don't try to build up another storyline behind him. Kinda loled when he thought Harry was coming onto him though.

• Herm said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    Herm said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    "Hate is a very strong word, Betty. I hate Nazis."

That kind of confused me. Wasn't he saying he wanted Don dead just a few seasons ago??

I don't think he was even on the show a few seasons ago.

I meant episodes ago.

Betty said "I want him [Don] dead," not Henry.

I know, but I'm pretty sure Henry's response was "Believe me, I do too."

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Line of the night to me was "you need three ingredients for a cocktail. Vodka and Mountain Dew is an emergency."

"When you're mixing alcohol with Mountain Dew, the third ingredient is sadness."

• The Women Episode.

RIP Blankenship; Re: Sally: "She looked so chubby in the pictures." haha. Roger: "She died like she lived; surrounded by the people she answered phones for."

- Sally mistaking the rum for mrs butterworths was funny.

"Have you ever been to the South? They have their own way of doing things and it doesn't involve Harry Bellafonte." lulz.

On another note this Dr Miller chick is not fine. Not sure what Don is wasting his time for. When they were in bed together post-coitus in the beginning of this episode she looked straight HURT.

You know who is fine though? Meghan is fine. And when the lesbian chick sort saunters up to her and she gets a little flustered I was dying.

When peggy, dr. Miller, meghan and Joan all rolled into the lobby when Betty came to get Sally that shit looked like it was about to be a rumble.

The lesbian's pot/soup men metaphor was pretty next level.

• I'm totally biting that "send a masseuse to the house" move. So damn smooth.??

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    What happened to all the haters at the start of the year. These guys are crushing it right now. RIP Mrs Blankenship, you're an astronaut.

• DrWu said:
    What happened to all the haters at the start of the year. These guys are crushing it right now. RIP Mrs Blankenship, you're an astronaut.

You're right - it's totally impossible for a lackluster episode or two to be redeemed by subsequent good episodes. I am sorry, comrade, for ever questioning the plans of Mad Men, plans which my simple mind can barely hope to grasp.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    the girl that plays the lesbian chick is david mamet's daughter. :woah:

• SIRUS said:
    the girl that plays the lesbian chick is david mamet's daughter. :woah:

I knew she looked familiar! hadn't Mamet cast her in a couple of his projects?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i don't know, i've never seen her before.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    DrWu said:

You're right - it's totally impossible for a lackluster episode or two to be redeemed by subsequent good episodes. I am sorry, comrade, for ever questioning the plans of Mad Men, plans which my simple mind can barely hope to grasp.

We appreciate your apology. Now stay out of this thread for the rest of the year.

Seriously, this shit is up there with the best things I have ever seen on TV. Early Rockford, The Wire and Hollywood Squares with Paul Lynn.

• Herm said:
    I'm totally biting that "send a masseuse to the house" move. So damn smooth.??

Was thinking that same thing.
    Roger's got game (despite his fondness of blackface)

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Nice episode, but the "blapping in the streets of Manhattan after a mugging" scene was a tad bit unbelievable.

BTW - Dr. Faye Miller is very attractive in a professional, real world sense. Draper has had his share of beauty pageant, model-type hos; nice to see him pursue a woman with a brain and personality.

• phongone said:

BTW - Dr. Faye Miller is very attractive in a professional, real world sense. Draper has had his share of beauty pageant, model-type hos; nice to see him pursue a woman with a brain and personality.

I agree.

Rootless, that was a mighty Chaddish thing to say!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What I like about Faye Miller (and the actress that plays her) is that she actually sounds and acts like a city girl. That and her hair.

Herm said:
    phongone said:

I agree.

Dr. Miller is definitely a throwback to season one Don conquests: smart and successful like Midge the artist or Rachel Menken. Bobbie Barrett in season had elements of those ladies, but think Don's S&M tendencies were the main attraction. Miss Farrell in season three may or may not have been smart and/or successful, but she was so stunning it's hard to blame Don for pursuing her. There were flings with random chicks along the way, like the rich girl in LA or the Stewardess in Baltimore but I don't think those represented significant attractions for Don.

Now in season 4 we have Dr. Miller vs. Bethany, with Bethany representing a Betty type. With the voiceover in the last episode, I think we see Don rejecting the idea of continuing things with Bethany but I'm not sure if he's ready to settle with a Dr. Miller type.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    She really did look terrible in bed though. I didn't recognize her at all.

dollar_bin said:

Now in season 4 we have Dr. Miller vs. Bethany, with Bethany representing a Betty type.

"not good with kids" sure sounds like Betty to me.

• dollar_bin said:
    Herm said:
    phongone said:

I agree.

Dr. Miller is definitely a throwback to season one Don conquests: smart and successful like Midge the artist or Rachel Menken. Bobbie Barrett in season had elements of those ladies, but think Don's S&M tendencies were the main attraction. Miss Farrell in season three may or may not have been smart and/or successful, but she was so stunning it's hard to blame Don for pursuing her. There were flings with random chicks along the way, like the rich girl in LA or the Stewardess in Baltimore but I don't think those represented significant attractions for Don.

Now in season 4 we have Dr. Miller vs. Bethany, with Bethany representing a Betty type. With the voiceover in the last episode, I think we see Don rejecting the idea of continuing things with Bethany but I'm not sure if he's ready to settle with a Dr. Miller type.

yeah but Menken was also fine. (possible Semitic bias.)

• Meghan is still the reigning champ in the office though. And yes, that means she's finer than the creepy paleface Joan. (Hate me now.)

• SoulOnIce said:
    What I like about Faye Miller (and the actress that plays her) is that she actually sounds and acts like a city girl. That and her hair.

The actress that plays Faye Miller lived across the hall from me freshman year of college. She was incredibly sweet.

• Herm said:
    I'm totally biting that "send a masseuse to the house" move. So damn smooth.??

"I felt bad for rubbing you the wrong way, so I figured I'd have someone else rub you the right way."

:the_mack:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The guys need to step their workplace womanizing up, or risk the show turning soft. The first season was pretty much the ideal work environment.

• Naturi Naughton as Toni the Bunny! Thanks, Casting Director.

What a relentless episode. I've never felt sorry for Roger until now. The way he half-assed that thumbs up at the partners' meeting? Sad.

• This episode was kinda weird. They jumped ahead and crammed a whole lot into this one episode. I honestly thought that intro with Joan and Sterling would turn out to be a dream sequence. I know the show is written months if not years in advance, but this one felt like they said "Oh shit, we're 10(?) episodes in! We better start working in these storylines!"

• I thought the last 2 episodes were the best of the season so far. This one particularly left me wishing I didn't have to wait a week until the next one.

It's like the walls are closing in on all of the partners and you know some crazy shit / plot twists are going to come.

• $5 says Joan didnt go through with the "operation."

Herm said:
    This episode was kinda weird. They jumped ahead and crammed a whole lot into this one episode. I honestly thought that intro with Joan and Sterling would turn out to be a dream sequence. I know the show is written months if not years in advance, but this one felt like they said "Oh shit, we're 10(?) episodes in! We better start working in these storylines!"

It seems like this season will break into two arcs, the first half being the redemption of Don Draper and the second half being the life or death of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce. They've been dangling the loss of Lucky Strike over SCDP like the Sword of Damocles since episode one this season. I thought they'd wait until closer to the finale to pull the trigger. It's very hard to predict which way Mad Men is going to go, but I definitely get the sense that this season could end with the death of SCDP and the principle characters ending up at other agencies. Matt Weiner definitely likes to defy expectations, I thought when Joan tells Roger that Greg's death in Vietnam wouldn't be a solution to anything it was a wink at the fans and critics who have all been taking it as a given that Greg will die in Vietnam.

I was surprised they had another Dick Whitman episode, but I think it was more of a device to create a dramatic situation and to develop Pete's character, rather than a commentary on the relationship between Don and his Dick Whitman past.

5 comments on this week's episode, and nobody mentions Lane's Dad??

:oh_my: