Mad Men Season 4

Comments

• sabadabada said:
    the rainbow 45 sleeve looks out of place.

yeah, the RCA rainbow sleeve is one of the things that's off.

• goatboy said:

I don't want it to solely turn into the Don Draper hour.Sure, he's an interesting character, but so is the firm and the work they do.

i think you put your finger on the trouble i'm having with this season. i get that this is supposed to be a transition period and we're supposed to see that don's era is about to fade into history but they need to get on with it already.

the scene where they are in the nightclub and the bob dylan version 1.0 clone comes on and they immediately bolt was funny.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    The writing is cliche,

sabadabada said:
    plus everything takes forever to unfold.

lol. start a 2.5 men thread dude.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    sabadabada said:
    The writing is cliche,

sabadabada said:
    plus everything takes forever to unfold.

lol. start a 2.5 men thread dude.

Am I not allowed to have an opinion on this show? I missed that notice. Sorry. Show stinks. In fact it's not just the writing that 's cliche, the whole fucking show is just one big cliche. Uber-ghey. It's like the television equivalent of a Rockwell painting. Like an overdose of concentrated Life Magazines in television form.

oh my dude you are more than welcome to have an opinion on the show. it's just curious that you find the writing so cliche and yet lament the slow development of the plots. these two points aren't mutually exclusive of course, but aren't generally gripes expressed about the same prime time TV drama.

also, it's not all that helpful to suggest reading updike as an alternative to watching mad men IMO. maybe suggest a *tv show* that does a better job at capturing the look/feel of this era?

rootlesscosmo said:
    oh my dude you are more than welcome to have an opinion on the show. it's just curious that you find the writing so cliche and yet lament the slow development of the plots. these two points aren't mutually exclusive of course, but aren't generally gripes expressed about the same prime time TV drama.

also, it's not all that helpful to suggest reading updike as an alternative to watching mad men IMO. maybe suggest a *tv show* that does a better job at capturing the look/feel of this era?

Get Smart

watching episode 3 now. is this stand-up comedian the homie "phin" whom meadow soprano was with for a couple seasons?

• Let me IMDB that for you: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1052666/

I really thought that Lane was gonna go off on that comedian. Kinda surprised he took it in stride.

i knew it. this fool will janowitz....

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I guess it's just me but I think this season has been brilliant from start to finish. Lane with the T-bone and the drunken commentary during Godzilla had me rolling.

"Did you enjoy the Fuhrer's birthday party?" Too good.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    My favorite line of the season, Lane to Don:

"It's a gift from my father, he is the type of alcoholic who likes to think he is collecting."

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    CousinLarry said:

"It's a gift from my father, he is the type of alcoholic who likes to think he is collecting."

I think he said connecting, not collecting.

• pimlicosquirrel said:

The return of Glenn!

gotta love his creepy swag.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    DrWu said:
    CousinLarry said:

Really? That makes a lot less sense.

• hogginthefogg said:

very funny; makes me want to watch the next episode with the writers.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

meistromoco said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:

The return of Glenn!

gotta love his creepy swag.

poor kid. but such a creeper.

• CousinLarry said:
    DrWu said:
    CousinLarry said:

It kind of sucks your favorite line from the entire season is completely different than what you thought it was

• Hmm... I heard collecting as well..

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Swellegant!

b/w

"Lee...Lee...the jockey smokes the cigarette."

• Was feeling it last night.

I can remember being in fourth grade, we would get to school in the morning and be like "oh man, did you see Welcome Back Kotter last night" or "Six Million Dollar Man." Because back then there were only 7 channels so we all basically were watching the same thing, and it was THE BIG news the next day.

highscheme said:
    CousinLarry said:
    DrWu said:
    CousinLarry said:

It kind of sucks your favorite line from the entire season is completely different than what you thought it was

uh I will admit that the line makes no sense to me either way. can someone explain it?

• I think he said connecting. Kind of a clumsy line, but he thinks he is connecting by giving a gift. And he's an alcoholic so of course the gift is a bottle of booze.

Last night was good.

• If he said collecting, it would make a bit more sense..
    hes the kinf of alcoholic who thinks he's collecting - meaning he buys bottles of expensive booze under the pretext of being a sophisticate, a collector. no?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Totally off topic but this Sheet Music Wall Hanging was in a Movie several years ago. I don't remember what movie but I remember thinking it was badass and hoping I would find one someday....still searching. Chances are this is the same exact piece that was in whatever movie.

Last nights episode was great. I am feeling Faye even tho Don isn't such a hug fan of hers right now. Peggy's line about her rented Vagina made me lol, hope the guy from the closet comes back and tracks her down.

As always the set design is off the hook. But I notice the couches tend to sink, They need to get some plywood under those cushions. details. details.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    yeah, back to form again last night. loving bohemian Peg. oh and peeping Peg lol!

personal favorite moment: Pete's shrug when his Father-In-Law called him a son-of-a-bitch.

man Don really IS that foul. I mean, I know he's a dog and it's been confirmed over and over again. and I always found it funny how folks (usually women) would express "disappointment" when Don did something foul (as if he's anything more than a straight dog with some vestiges of basic human dignity and the capacity to occasionally show love for his wife and kids). but damn when he went for it with the Cal chick in the car before being cancer blocked....c'mon son.