Mad Men Season 4

Comments

• You know things are bad when Bert Cooper is delivering the coup de grace: "Lee Garner Jr. never took you seriously because you never took yourself seriously." Ouch!

• maocontent said:
    he's being set up. That was too easy.

this is an interesting idea.

• I don't really think Roger seems like the suicidal type. I kind of see how it's the whole "before he wouldn't have been the suicidal type but now everything is catching up to him causing him to turn", but I kind of don't see it.

Was it his dad who started that agency? It always seemed like Roger was just the spoiled playboy (but intelligent) type who did only enough to get by. Suicide? Nah.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    maocontent said:

Megan worked in reception for a long time before being put on Don's desk after Miss Blankenship's death. Seems like a rather circuitous route for a sleeper agent. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but I think it's more likely she's trying to sleep her way into a copywriter's job. It's how everyone thinks Peggy got her job so it's a reasonable strategy to undertake.

• dollar_bin said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    maocontent said:

Megan worked in reception for a long time before being put on Don's desk after Miss Blankenship's death. Seems like a rather circuitous route for a sleeper agent. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but I think it's more likely she's trying to sleep her way into a copywriter's job. It's how everyone thinks Peggy got her job so it's a reasonable strategy to undertake.

nah I don't mean like she's a secret agent or anything; I meant more that her encounter with Don this last episode felt like a convenient set up by the writers to precipitate some sort of crisis, meaning it didn't exactly flow logically from the sotryline.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Don on his Jerry McGuire sh*t!

b/w

Also...

"Tell your girl to make us reservations."

Did Don just buy Pete? Or did he buy his own freedom? Hmmm...

• really hating betty right now

and glenn is that dude

• Herm said:

b/w

Sally's comment made me happy.

When I was in preschool, I remember being weirded out by this concept. We had some book in our classroom with a rabbit (i think) on the cover reading the book with the rabbit on the cover etc.

I guess the Mad Men writers and many people have similar experiences.

• Herm said:

I forget, does Don know that Pete is the father of Peggy's bastard child?

I know that he helped Peggy cover it all up and thats why she is always indebted to him, but I can't remember if he has any clue about Pete's involvement.

• highscheme said:
    Herm said:

I forget, does Don know that Pete is the father of Peggy's bastard child?

I know that he helped Peggy cover it all up and thats why she is always indebted to him, but I can't remember if he has any clue about Pete's involvement.

I don't remember Don knowing about Pete being the baby daddy.

Great episode. Don's move was pretty outstanding, I thought.

And I too remember being creeped out by the "forever" land o'lakes thing. My mom had a closet with mirror doors facing each other and I remember the angle of the doors caused your reflection to go on forever...It always blew my mind.

• highscheme said:

Apologies, just brainfarted Columbus Day w/ Thanksgiving.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I usually reserve my judgement for after the second or third time through the episode, but while watching last night's episode I couldn't shake the feeling that it would create a strong negative response. I can't really put my finger on it, but the pursuing clients as dating metaphor just seemed a little too on the nose for me. I guarantee that when I watch the episode again tonight I'll find things I like about it, but my Sunday night self was left a little empty. Perhaps it's because Rubicon was so good.

• Herm said:

b/w

Makes me think of this

• TahneeTahnee 46 Posts
    Herm said:

droste effect

b/w

backwash?!

& i'm proud of sally for not smoking.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Did anyone else used to cut out her knees from one box and glue it behind where she's holding the box and then cut a flap in it so when you pull down the little box it looks like boobies?

Ahhh. Good times.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    sabadabada said:
    Did anyone else used to cut out her knees from one box and glue it behind where she's holding the box and then cut a flap in it so when you pull down the little box it looks like boobies?

Ahhh. Good times.

We just did the fold over method.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Don't know if this has been posted already.. but I know some of you will appreciate it - http://petecampbellsbitchface.tumblr.com/

• Herm said:
    Also...

"Tell your girl to make us reservations."

there were at least two moments when Faye was trying to clown Megan a little. Sorta out of line IMO; I get it: she's a self-made intelligent woman and Megan is just a secretary or whatever. But Megan is a sweetheart and doesn't really deserve it.

• and Glenn is shaping up to be a really decent dude. He was a creeper at first but not so much anymore. Very, very sad that Betty (once again) let her childish jealousy get in the way of her ability to parent.

"Yes, honey. They're bigger." (!!!)

*nothing but spoilers below*

Pretty anti-climactic episode for the season. It feels like they could've worked all these storylines out a bit better over the 13 episodes. Anyways, I'm not that good at trying to break it all down so I'll leave it to you dudes and hit some- okay, more than some - highlights of the finale:

- Cancer Society folks admitting that they're smokers.

- "Did you get cancer?" - I love Roger's hilariously dickish outbursts.

- Don's confused but reflecting look when Cosgrove said his wife is his "life, my actual life." AND Cosgrove's backlash-shielding comment as he walked out. "Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna go service the 30% of this firm that are my clients."

- Glenn!!! I really hope he learns to drive soon! Holmes is smooth too! "You going to Disneyland? Get me something." Then he just walks away like a true, confident playboy.

- Glenn again!!! The only one with balls big enough to call out Betty on her bullshit! Man, I thought she was gonna slap the shit outta him. But what does she do? Fires Carla?! What an evil bitch.

- Disneyland. 'Nuff said.

- Harry turning and leaving without a word when Peggy tells him model chick won't be at the meeting.

- No threesome for Don. Damn. With that look I thought he had a strong chance for California love.

- Henry's finally seen the light. Or rather, the darkness that is his wife's soul.

- Megan's never looked or sounded hotter than she has in this episode. Le swoon. Plus she's so much calmer than Don and Betty. "It's just a milkshake."

- Why does Topaz guy look like Glenn in 10 years?? Uncanny!

- That proposal was like WTF?!?!, but I kinda understand. Megan made a great impression in such a short time and Don has already been leading up to straightening up, even if it is just temporary.

- Roger: "Who the hell's that?" That was hilarious and very Roger-ish to not know her last name.

- I can't lie, I got teary-eyed when Peggy congratulated Don. Specifically when she said Megan's "very beautiful" while choking up a little. Man oh man.

- Peggy calling out Joan: "That's bullshit!" HAHAHAHA!!!! I love Peggy.

- That phone call to Faye hit a little close to home. "I hope she knows you only like the beginning of things!" Yeeeeesh.

• Teeth McGee.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Teeth McGee.

"she said I couldn't be an actress, because of my teeth"

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    The milkshake spill was the turning point; I think he realized just how different from Betty she actually was, and that kinda reinforced what may be an infatuation. For now he just seems enamored, and blinded by the fact that she seems like a good person, and is obviously more submissive than either Betty or Faye. Of course, Don barely knows her, and by the end of the episode I definitely felt like he had fallen for the idealized "pitch" he had created for her inside his head.

Points to herm for calling out the pregnancy. Am I missing something or are the dates just not going to line up? Dude was already in vietnam at the time of conception right?

From what I can tell the internet is giving this episode the thumbs down, but I thought it was pretty solid; it was entertaining and all the characters were in top form. Watching each person's reaction to Don's announcement was priceless, especially Peggy.

Mad Men is too a subtle to go for big cliffhanger endings, but if anything Don's whirlwind progression, from desperately needing a sitter to receiving the ring to proposing, was just a bit too tidy. The first new business was also conveniently timed, and the last 10 minutes were pretty sunny for Mad Men, up until Don's late night brooding at the end. Either way, the ending has me interested to see next season, without feeling like it was some gimmicky who shot jr type of cliffhanger.

And "Megan could you get us some ice??" was probably my favorite line of the season.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    theHumanchee said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Teeth McGee.

"she said I couldn't be an actress, because of my teeth"

When she said that line I literally turned to wife and said, "I can't wait to hear what the strut has to say about this".

Did anyone else think that the proposal was a dream sequence at first? It felt like bizarro world. Probably not his best choice, certainly not the caliber of woman he dumped to get her. Oh well

Roger (john Slattery) should win best supporting actor Emmy for this year. Guy was fire with the one liners all year.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I honestly thought this episode was a dream sequence. The whole marriage thing was surreal. The part when she woke up in bed with Don sitting there pulling out the ring... I thought for sure it was a dream. And the way the partners acted with the clapping. I thought for sure dream.

• Unherd said:

Points to herm for calling out the pregnancy. Am I missing something or are the dates just not going to line up? Dude was already in vietnam at the time of conception right?

Well, that's what she told Roger. And I think we all had strong suspicions that she didn't go through with the abortion. I guess she is relying on her (doctor!) husband's ignorance re: the human gestation period? In any event, it'll be pretty weird when Roger inevitably hears about her pregnancy.

• Herm said:

- No threesome for Don. Damn. With that look I thought he had a strong chance for California love.

- Henry's finally seen the light. Or rather, the darkness that is his wife's soul.

Yeah the threesome was a tease.

As for Henry, yeah. Always seemed like such a decent dude, and was always cool to Don (under the circumstances). Anyway, the honeymoon's over. He's married to a petulant child in a woman's body. Props to him for riding for Carla at least.

I actually thought that Peggy and Joan's bitching (I use the term as a value-less verb, not calling them bitches) about Don's and Megan's engagement was overblown. Srs question: What is Peggy so upset about? For someone who's grown so close to Don over the last couple seasons, does she not know him?