DON'T STEP ON MY HEELS - 2.0

Comments

• snosno 332 Posts
    Herm said:

Anyways, got these NAVY Nordstrom 1901 'Carson' Oxfords brand new for $15 instead*:

They look black, but they're not. Also, the pair I bought has a red brick sole and the most comfortable footbed I have ever experienced. And I'm talking about dress shoes AND sneakers!

*Not my feet.

Great buy!
    Copped a pair of these longwings, look forward to check out the red brick-ish Dainite sole:

• I like those Nordstrom navy shoes a lot ^^^.

I just put on a pair of flip flops, and thought of a funny story about them. So I decided here would be a good place to blog it out, lol.

So, many years ago back in the early days of ebay, and e-commerce in general, I made my first purchase on ebay.

I used to have a pair of those Japanese style tatami flip flops that wore out. They're super comfortable, because, unlike rubber or plastic flip flops, when it gets real hot, your feet stay nice n cool cuz of the staw and velvet:

So, I decided I wanted another pair. And only had ebay to turn to back in those days. I thought I'd pay up to $15.

I was browsing, and saw someone trying to unload 100 pairs!!! For only $20, plus $15 shipping!!! What a deal, right?

Having no idea of what I'd gotten into, I ordered. Then forgot.

One day I came home, and there were two chest high, refrigerator style boxes groaning on my porch. I couldn't even get them inside.

So I opened them, and dragged about 5 lawn sized bags packed full of flip flops into my apartment. I never counted, but I'm sure there had to be way more than 100 pairs.

Oh, did I mention they were in mixed garish colors like turquise, orange and magenta?

Well, over the years I've forced flip flops on guests, given them out as party favors, and given huge batches to the SA.

I still have about three giant trash bags of cheaply made, garishly colored flip flops on my back porch.

I am in flip flops for life.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

The ones on the right.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    bassie said:

The ones on the right.

Hmmm...I'd need to see 'em on first.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Here is my F2010 accessory report. Textured exteriors, but I don't think that's exactly novel. Pre-fall 2010 shoes and handbags are looking a lot like 2009's. Dior, Gucci and Jacobs all have released embossed/quilted leather pieces. Top handles are looking like vintage doctor bags. Neutral colors. Obviously, this is only a sampling. Feel free to add.

Dior, Medium Miss Dior

Gucci, Catherine Guccissima Medium Dome satchel

Lanvin, Metallic Amalia tote

Marc Jacobs, Bruna Classic Quilted bag

Versace, Medusa bag (my favorite of the above, though the Guccissima is very handsome)

I am loving Alexander McQueen's accessories this season/next season. Strong, edgy and lots of skulls. Perhaps the McQueen house is being particularly bold in lieu of Alexander's death. But then again, his line was never not bold.

Studded Novak top handle

Star Suede Glove clutch

Studded Knuckle-Duster clutch

Faithful boot

Herm said:
    Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that Forever 21 has a cult following among the teen crowd?

I bought something from there this weekend. Suspect, I know. I needed a cheap denim jacket for a project/experiment that I'm having my seamstress do for me.

Their return policy is horrible, by the way. No cash back, strictly store credit. I hate places that do that.

Do you really have a seamstress? (My seamstress is my mom, though I can sew, too, but she knows how to use a sewing machine.)

Almond said:
    Herm said:
    Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that Forever 21 has a cult following among the teen crowd?

I bought something from there this weekend. Suspect, I know. I needed a cheap denim jacket for a project/experiment that I'm having my seamstress do for me.

Their return policy is horrible, by the way. No cash back, strictly store credit. I hate places that do that.

Do you really have a seamstress? (My seamstress is my mom, though I can sew, too, but she knows how to use a sewing machine.)

Yes. She owns a vintage store here in town and I take all my stuff to her. Her work on menswear isn't perfect, but she's told me she's learned a lot while working on my clothes. Her improvement has shown too.

I'm a real stickler for the balloon effect on my workshirts these days. I was shocked at how many shirts I own that were way too big on me. I must've taken 25-30 articles of clothing to her in the past 6-7 months or so. Plus I still have 9 (!) more shirts I need to have taken in and/or hemmed! I have A LOT of clothes. Too many, in fact.

Herm said:
    Almond said:
    Herm said:

Yes. She owns a vintage store here in town and I take all my stuff to her. Her work on menswear isn't perfect, but she's told me she's learned a lot while working on my clothes. Her improvement has shown too.

I'm a real stickler for the balloon effect on my workshirts these days. I was shocked at how many shirts I own that were way too big on me. I must've taken 25-30 articles of clothing to her in the past 6-7 months or so. Plus I still have 9 (!) more shirts I need to have taken in and/or hemmed! I have A LOT of clothes. Too many, in fact.

Oh, and I think her fees for original designs start at $100. So yeah, she's a seamstress, but thus far I've only used her for basic tailoring.

I thought you meant a personal seamstress! You can save a lot of time and money by getting sewing machine. I should probably learn to use my mom's. I can sew by hand and crochet and do other crafty things so it shouldn't be too hard.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Herm said:

I'm a real stickler for the balloon effect on my workshirts these days.

What is the balloon effect?

And am I understanding correctly that it is something that you do want?

faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:

I most definitely DO NOT want the muffin top look.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Herm said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:

My muffin top is all that.
    Whole grain, low fat.
    The boys all want a piece of that.
    But I just want to dance.

I love when they play the song in the background whenever jenna is on. its her theme music.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Herm said:
    Found a pair of these Allen Edmond 'Clifton' Oxfords for $40 (!) at Nordstrom's Last Chance today:

They are (very) slightly used (Last Chance sells items that were returned to Nordstrom's) but considering they're $250 brand new I am not complaining one bit.

nice pull. i own these and get compliments on them all the time.

Almond said:
    I thought you meant a personal seamstress! You can save a lot of time and money by getting sewing machine. I should probably learn to use my mom's. I can sew by hand and crochet and do other crafty things so it shouldn't be too hard.

Sorry, I should've been more clear.

Anyways, I do have a sewing machine. My mom and sister got it for me for Christmas last year but I've yet to take the time to learn it! I know it's rather simple but to be honest I'm lazy and a little intimidated by it.

Almond said:

Anyways, I do have a sewing machine. My mom and sister got it for me for Christmas last year but I've yet to take the time to learn it! I know it's rather simple but to be honest I'm lazy and a little intimidated by it.

Almond said:

Triple post?! WTF, Newstrut?!?!

I take it you are the family fashionite.
    I don't practice fashion, but if this was 19th century France and I was male and got a tailoring apprenticeship, I would have been damn good. But instead I study econ and do partial derivatives all day. Lame.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Herm said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:

i was confused too. a stickler for the balloon effect means you take exact measures or make an concerted effort to cause the balloon effect.

really?!

bassie said:

The ones on the right.

are the heels plastic? i dunno...i definitely love the color gray and yellow together and think it would look great against brown skin over a pale tone for sure. but the materials look a little chintzy to me

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    edith head said:
    Herm said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:

i was confused too. a stickler for the balloon effect means you take exact measures or make an concerted effort to cause the balloon effect.

really?!

double post

edith head said:
    bassie said:

The ones on the right.

are the heels plastic? i dunno...i definitely love the color gray and yellow together and think it would look great against brown skin over a pale tone for sure. but the materials look a little chintzy to me

Wooden heels. Yea, the picture doesn't do them justice. I have seen another eye popping combo (pink sole/gold upper) in real life and they looked great. I like the idea of patent gray leather!

bassie said:
    edith head said:
    bassie said:

The ones on the right.

Wooden heels.

you're right, that is a bad picture. gawd, i love that they are wood heels so yay. personally, i would prefer a polished leather instead of patent though.

So many ways flip-flops can hurt you

July 30, 2010
    David Graham

Living Reporter

If you thought stilettos were killers, wait till you hear about the damage caused by the lowly flip-flop.

It's not just stubbed toes and blisters; the ubiquitous summer sandal is being blamed for myriad injuries, from chronic foot and ankle pain to falls, back injuries, escalator mishaps and car accidents. General practitioners, podiatrists and emergency room physicians are run off their feet caring for patients who have hurt themselves in footloose flip-flops.

The rise in flip-flop-related injuries may simply be due to their enormous popularity. Many men and women own multiple pairs because they are convenient, inexpensive and fashionable. And although they were once relegated to beaches and cottage country, they are now acceptable in offices by day and downtown clubs at night.

Tread carefully, experts say.

Flip-flops provide the foot with ???no support whatsoever,??? says Vancouver podiatrist Roy Mathews.

Wearing them all summer long can cause problems particularly for people with high arches or flat feet, he says.

Flip-flops force the wearer to scrunch their toes to grip the thong at the wrong time in the gait cycle, Mathews says. What's more, he adds, people tend to wear their flip-flops long after the sandals have worn out, causing a further loss of support for the foot.

Foot ailments range from plantar fasciitis ??? a common cause of heel pain involving inflammation of tissue that runs across the bottom of the foot connecting heel bone to toes ??? to shin splints and metatarsalgia, marked by pain and inflammation in the ball of the foot.

Add to that injuries that occur when people wearing flip-flops decide to play Frisbee or touch football, says Mathews. A tumble while wearing unsupportive footwear can lead to sprains and ankle fractures, he says.

Joanne Banfield, manager for trauma injury prevention at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, says flip-flops belong on the beach. And, she adds, people should not be driving while wearing them.

???There have been episodes of horrific collisions caused when someone was unable to brake because their flip-flop became caught,??? says Banfield.

???Simple slips, trips and falls can be catastrophic,??? she warns.

She compares the injuries associated with flip-flops to such repetitive stress issues as carpal tunnel syndrome. ???They can lead to poor posture and back problems.???

Keri Rose, a 46-year-old mother of three visiting Toronto from Texas, wears flip-flops all the time.

???We wear a lot of flip-flops in Texas,??? she says, admitting she often drives while wearing them. ???I have several pairs but I try to buy better quality versions.???

Marc Dub??, a 35-year-old Toronto salesman, doesn't wear his flip-flops to work or while driving, but reports a feeling of pressure at his heel and up the back of his legs if he wears them for long walks. He has owned inexpensive pairs from Old Navy and designer brands like Diesel, but says that regardless of brand, ???they can be treacherous on rainy sidewalks.???

FitFlops, about $80, are thicker than the average flip-flop, cup the heel and provide the foot with some arch support while promising to tone muscles.

Banfield says there are limited statistics about injuries related to flip-flops because it's often not determined immediately that an injury is directly related to wearing the sandals.

???Someone could have a hairline fracture or a sprain and never attribute it to their flip-flops,??? says Banfield.

Denyse Boxell, project leader for Safe Kids Canada, says many youth seek medical assistance after their flip-flops get wedged in escalators at the mall. Between 1990 and 2006, there were 1,070 escalator-related injuries in Canada; 85 per cent of those involved kids under 14 years. One to 2 per cent of the 1,070 injuries were related to footwear ??? rubber clogs, flip-flops, sandals and loose shoelaces, says Boxell.

Justin Shroyer, a professor of kinesiology at the University of Louisiana, is known on campus as the flip-flop guy, because of his area of expertise on the subject of the flimsy footwear. He hopes he can make the world a better place with a better flip-flop. He has two provisional patents on designs that ???help to keep the flip-flop on the foot better.???

Shroyer's research has revealed that flip-flop wearers take shorter steps, hold their ankles at a different angle and make the muscles at the front of their shins work harder.

edith head said:
    Herm said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Herm said:

really?!

Yeah, that was very poorly worded. Sorry!

i actually thought there was some male equivalent of the balloon skirt trend that i was not knowing and was trying to picture it in my head

like this but shirtwise

edith head said:
    i actually thought there was some male equivalent of the balloon skirt trend that i was not knowing and was trying to picture it in my head

By 'balloon effect' I mean that ugly poofiness that results from tucking in a shirt that's too wide for one's body.

I like the balloon effect in womenswear.

Scarlett Johansson.