NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Dirk's shooting efficiency is incredible! MVP - NO QUESTION. But that's only for the regular season which dont mean shit. The Playoffs create legends.

I'm fine with this...

b/w

So, Batmon, Charles Barkley is not a legend in your book then?

Barkley is a Legend and gave Mj & them a good fight in the Finals. Barkley was the shit BEFRORE he went to Phoenix. What he did to/with the Suns cemented his status. If Dirk were to have a career threatning injury and was forced to quit right now, i couldnt give him Barkley level status. Scoring and team Wins arent enuff.
    He should get the MVP, but I know u dont really care about that. Look at AI. Big whoop! I want Dirk to win that real award and make Mark Cuban happy.

I love Barkley. I think he's no doubt a legend. But his resume reads almost exactly the same as Dirk's with just a few more years of doing it: Scoring? Check. REbounding? Check (altho Barkley was a league-leader type of rebounder while Dirk is a 10 RPGer). MVP? Bout to be. One Finals appearance? Yep. Saying man. Let's be consistent. BUt this is just discussion. Dirk's only 28. I didn't think he had another level in him but apparently losing to the Heat hurt him cos he is even better this year. His passing has improved incredibly, as has his defense. He is literally doing it all right now. 50% on FG. 42% on 3Ps. 90% at the stripe.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Dirk's shooting efficiency is incredible! MVP - NO QUESTION. But that's only for the regular season which dont mean shit. The Playoffs create legends.

I'm fine with this...

b/w

Barkley is a Legend and gave Mj & them a good fight in the Finals. Barkley was the shit BEFRORE he went to Phoenix. What he did to/with the Suns cemented his status. If Dirk were to have a career threatning injury and was forced to quit right now, i couldnt give him Barkley level status. Scoring and team Wins arent enuff.
    He should get the MVP, but I know u dont really care about that. Look at AI. Big whoop! I want Dirk to win that real award and make Mark Cuban happy.

So Dirk giving the Heat "a good fight" last year gets added to his resume just like Charles??

Dirk was not very good when he came into the league.

Every year he has worked on a facet of his game and improved.

That can't be said about too many pro athletes in ANY sport.

• I want Dirk to win that real award and make Mark Cuban happy.

I like that you wrote this. This first Trophy we're about to get is for Tony Cubes. There would be no Mavs without him. One of the worst PRO SPORTS franchises of the 90s. He changed all that. Love him or hate him, you wish he owned your team, and most players wish tehy played for his team. He's been pretty low-key this year though, which is a good thing.

I want Dirk to win that real award and make Mark Cuban happy.

I like that you wrote this. This first Trophy we're about to get is for Tony Cubes. There would be no Mavs without him. One of the worst PRO SPORTS franchises of the 90s. He changed all that. Love him or hate him, you wish he owned your team, and most players wish tehy played for his team. He's been pretty low-key this year though, which is a good thing.

Truth

• In other NBA discussions, looks like someone may have woken up the Spurs. They're ballin a little bit.

The two ABC games today are WACK. 5 hours of EC basketball? Y're killin me....

Other NON-LEGENDARY greats........

Pat Ewing
    REGGIE MILLER
    Jason Kidd

All 3 are Hall of Fame.

Patrick Ewing - Top 50
    Jason Kidd - Triple Doubles Galore

REGGIE MILLER

You really dont wanna go there w/ me.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Drewn, Peyton broke through...maybe it's a sign. Maybe yr Pistons will be the last hurdle in the way come June. Wouldn't that be fun?

Dallas is playing like they deserve a Championship right now, no doubt.

Haha, that would be a good one. Might have to put something on that.

I'm fine with this...

b/w

So Dirk giving the Heat "a good fight" last year gets added to his resume just like Charles??
    Dirk was not very good when he came into the league.

Dirk will only surpass Barkley if he wins the Finals.

• Dirk will only surpass Barkley if he wins the Finals.

Whoa there partner...nobody is putting Dirk up as being better than any of those guys. Merely making a point there have been more than a few players who have had legendary type stats and careers that didn't win Finals. Throw yr boy 'Nique on the list while we're discussing.....

This will all be rendedred moot in 3.5 months. Belee 'dat.

This will all be rendedred moot in 3.5 months. Belee 'dat.

We'll see.

• The day after we do win the trophy this year is gonna be the worst day in SoulSTrut history for a lot of people.....

The day after we do win the trophy this year is gonna be the worst day in SoulSTrut history for a lot of people.....

Only because your gonna be foaming at the mouf & actin like Martin Lawrence w/ a heatstroke.

• if i'm running denver i surround anthony with a true point (they're missing andre miller much more than they thought they would), a guy who can hit shots with his feet set off anthony's penetration ... and their frontcourt is okay between camby/nene/najera/martin (if he ever plays in the nba again)/evans. as much as like steve blake and to a lesser extent jr smith, i'm still not sure those guys are going to end up being full-time starting lineup material. the problem now is they gave up a lot of assets to get iverson and don't have much latitude in trades outside of maybe najera (expiring contract and not bad player to boot). jr smith and blake are good players but both on very cheap deals that won't yield much on the open market, nobody's touching nene's contract, kenyon is a wasteland, camby is great when healthy, which is like every other week, and they don't have any young players who are interesting enough to make another team swallow one of their bad contracts in a deal. not saying they're completely hamstrung, but i don't see them being able to right the ship very easily either. those two draft picks they gave up for ivie are going to come back to haunt them as well. even though they're both in the later part of the draft, this year is a serious serious bumper crop and picks as late as the 20s are going to yield some very solid players.

[monthly nuggets rant]

i said it when the iverson trade was proposed, getting rid of andre miller was a really bad idea and it may come back to haunt them. at first, we all thought maybe iverson was going to play point guard and try to adjust his game a little bit to the team, but i think that was somewhat of a pipe dream. this was apparent when karl decided to pick up and start blake. now blake is the only thing they got close to a true pg and he is hit or miss. to be fair though, iverson came to this team passing the ball all day long, but the guys he was getting it to weren't scoring. i can understand him reverting back to being a score first guard in this situation, because if you do your job and it's not working, you gotta do something else. and the guy can score points, he's a scoring machine, so if carmelo is the only other person who can consistently score 20+ points a night, then AI's scoring abilities have to be used. he can sit there and pass all night but if his passes don't yield more points than he can score (which they haven't) then why not just score the points?

the front line is in decent shape although i don't ever expect kenyon martin to be a factor on this team again. nene is holding it down right now (finally). and getting rid of najera would be a step in the wrong direction. i also think we will see what happens over the summer because a quarter of a season with these guys is not enough to say they're forever fucked and will never improve. it's just that with the high profile trade, the expectations were overwhelming. everybody expects melo/ai to win every game. what was mentioned about there being no chemistry is partially true, i think they're still trying to figure out how to fit the pieces together. notice how much karl is experimenting with his starting 5. that means that yes, it isn't working yet but also that he is still trying to figure it out. this has been a crazy season for the nuggets and i can understand them having issues with gelling at this point. it's just one season (not even a whole season at that), next year will tell the real story.

also, as for melo and ai not working together, they actually work just fine together, but if there isn't enough distribution from the two of them to the rest of the team, they have problems. there has to be at least 3 other players in double figures. and the defense has been the main factor in the majority of our losses this season. it's only the last 2 or 3 games that we've had this offense problem. we average 105 points a game. I liked Melo a whole lot in the week Iverson was out. He was passing like a madman putting up 9 and 10 assists a game with his 25-30 points. That's where he needs to be all the time. Iverson needs to have at least 10 assists a game and at least 20 points at the 2 and blake should be their acting pg, meaning blake should dribble the ball down the court and rack up 15-20 assists a game, fuck points. make nene score those points. the team needs more consistency on defense and stronger 4th quarter play. 2 biggest win factors. the offense has been OK, could get better, but it can win games. keep in mind we're only 1 or 2 games under .500, we have won some games this season.

and lastly, don't be so quick to judge JR Smith either, remember he's only 20. It may take some time but he has the potential to develop very well working with a coach like karl and having a friend/mentor/teammate like carmelo anthony. He might not be starter material now, he may not be for a while, but he's something off the bench already, averaging 15 points a game and the best 3 point shooter on the team. 20 years old. It's not like he's just some mediocre player who's been playing quietly for several years. the guy's here to improve and become a star. i also think he has a good attitude and is good for the team's morale. He's always ready to play 150%.

[/monthly nuggets rant]

i do miss miller though... if there were a way to get him back and get rid of blake and maybe dermarr johnson, we'd be much better off. it'll never happen though.

The Mavs current run of 46-5 has only been topped by one team in the history of the NBA, and that team, was possibly the greatest team ever assembled.

• Dallas is playing like they deserve a Championship right now, no doubt.

The Mavs current run of 46-5 has only been topped by one team in the history of the NBA, and that team, was possibly the greatest team ever assembled.

celtics? showtime lakers?

celtics? showtime lakers?

66 Boston Celtics?

'66-'67 Philly team

Wilt
    Lucious Jackson
    Chet Walker
    Hal Greeer
    Wali Jones

And

Billy Cunningham coming off the bench averaged 18.5 points a game while averaging 25 minutes!!!

All the right pieces.......went 46-4 over a 50 game stretch.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    nail biter down in detroit

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    nail biter down in detroit

that "boxout" by cwebb was durty but illl take it.

ive always loved these guys, and always will:

if they leave, they will shine like okur has.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Other NON-LEGENDARY greats........

Pat Ewing
    REGGIE MILLER
    Jason Kidd

You must be out of your damn mind. "Pat" Ewing and Reggie Miller are legends, if only for the reason that NBA on NBC became such legendary television programming.

Jon Barry sounds like the first graduate of the Bill Walton School Of Broadcasting.

Dude's already called Lebron the GOAT!!!

• Other NON-LEGENDARY greats........

Pat Ewing
    REGGIE MILLER
    Jason Kidd

You must be out of your damn mind. "Pat" Ewing and Reggie Miller are legends, if only for the reason that NBA on NBC became such legendary television programming.

:WHOOSH:

Jon Barry sounds like the first graduate of the Bill Walton School Of Broadcasting.

Dude's already called Lebron the GOAT!!!

I hate Jon Barry.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    the raptors announcer is jokes. all this salami and cheese bull

more like sponge or stone.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'd just like to say that it's very hard, I mean REALLLAALALALAAAYYYYYY hard to be a Warriors fan. Nuff said. Bye.

I'd just like to say that it's very hard, I mean REALLLAALALALAAAYYYYYY hard to be a Pacers fan. Nuff said. Bye.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I'd just like to say that it used to be[/b] very hard, I mean REALLLAALALALAAAYYYYYY hard to be a Raptors fan. Nuff said. Bye.

as for both of you having bedde interest in both team

I am sorry for you loss(es)

• Dirk was not very good when he came into the league.

I like Dirk too, but i would think MOST pro athletes work on their games and try to improve. The problem is that they are facing the highest level of competition, so their personal improvements are often hard to notice. Also, because injuries are so common, i would assume that teams actually try to limit the amount of off-season work that players do...especially head-to-head competition.

An antecdote on Dirk: right before the all-star game, Dallas played the Sixers on a sunday afternoon. The night before, Dirk showed up at my gym (here in philly) and shot around with some old guy who was probably his dad. I wasn't there, but was told that in a twenty-minute shooting drill, he missed a total of 2 shots. I doubt too many other nba players were practicing their jump shots at 8pm on a Saturday night.

I'd just like to say that it's very hard, I mean REALLLAALALALAAAYYYYYY hard to be a Warriors fan. Nuff said. Bye.

I have the solution. Move to Socal. The Sports Entertainment capital of the world.

• An antecdote on Dirk: right before the all-star game, Dallas played the Sixers on a sunday afternoon. The night before, Dirk showed up at my gym (here in philly) and shot around with some old guy who was probably his dad. I wasn't there, but was told that in a twenty-minute shooting drill, he missed a total of 2 shots. I doubt too many other nba players were practicing their jump shots at 8pm on a Saturday night.

Holger Gerschwinder. Family friend who puts him through strange and rigorous drills. Dirk to this day trains with him every offseason and as you saw when he makes trips to the States. He's Dirk's mentor and personal coach. As a Mavs fan and Dirk fan, you know #41 is due for a good game when they show Holger in the stands.