A Tribe Called Quest - Consequence ERA

124»

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Ive hardly heard any blowed stuff at all, but because of archaic, I cant hear about them without laughing.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    isn't Kari Orr affiliated with that? That guy's posts are the sole reason I have been known to occasionally check Okayplayer. If you know him, you should tell him to come on over here.

yes.

as for ab rude, i always say that i don't particularly like him, but after reading a few posts around here and having some song titles that were tacked on to the end of various dubs i had ring around in my head i think i underrate him. i mean i can recite his strength of atu verse word for word, and i guess that means that i can't totally hate him. (skinny, dreaded, looking like a rag doll, give me this mic and i'll serve each one of y'all...). and i mean, slow lights was some shit. giving him credit for OG Crew is a little much though, I can't even remember his verse on there (but i think all i remember are P and Mikah from there anyway). i've owned a couple of of his early solo records and i've always thought them to be 'ok'. i think i came to dislike his style when i stopped considering him as a solo artist and just had him popping up on guest spots. i feel like his mellow-ness sometimes kills the momentum that alot of his collaborators bring to a track. it's like "fastfastrapdoubletimechopppingskatting...AAABBBBBSSSTRRRAAAACCCCTRRRRUUUUUDEEEEEE"

but i thought he came off pretty nicely a few times on the last haiku album (and, as i understand it, he's solely responsible for the fact that most of those guys were 'rapping like they used to' on that record)

and if nothing else, he's a good guy.

and archaic, in my experience babies DO like busdriver. why do you dislike that dude so much? i find it surprising considering you ride so passionately for everything (else) blowed. especially since he came up through the afterlife, who you seem to rep the hardest. is it because he thoroughly contradicts your "the true blowedians are some rugged thugged out street cats" thesis?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Ive hardly heard any blowed stuff at all, but because of archaic, I cant hear about them without laughing.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I enjoyed Los Dangerous

three otherwise talented guys

Faux Rillz:
    It seems as if you got "poptart sympathiser" amongst your ranks .I suggest,you keep a close eye on him.

I been had my eye on that guy (PASUE).

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Off-topic, but dude, those are Austin imposters; that picture is from Oregon State!

Lady Longhorns playing hacky sack:

These were taken at the Marley Festival:

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

So you two went to law school together?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa...............

aww poookie.

did you have something you wanted to share??

nah.. no law school.. although i am in the industry.

word. what spot in BK?

This:

Wax Poetics and Princeton Architectural Press Present...

Issue #12 and Cocinando! Release Party
    An Entire Evening of Latin Music from around the Globe with Special
    DJs:

Bongohead (Cocinando!)
    Monkone (Wax Poetics)
    Joe Claussell (Spiritual Life Music)
    Knox Robinson
    Fred Schmalz
    Andujar (WMUA UMass)
    Jorge Irragori (Tropical Music Collector's Event)

June 10th @ Savalas
    285 Bedford Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11211
    Between Grand Street and S 1st Street
    9pm ??? 4am
    No Cover

Album Cover Slideshow by Pablo Yglesias

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Busdriver is for those who think of Mikah 9's "crazy Down Syndrome shout" as the epitome of Project Blowed innovation. At times Busdriver doesn't bother me, but for the most part his flow is for the birds (and Anticon fans).

Busdriver is for those who think of Mikah 9's "crazy Down Syndrome shout" as the epitome of Project Blowed innovation. At times Busdriver doesn't bother me, but for the most part his flow is for the birds (and Anticon fans).

What would we all do without you to keep us straight?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

DJs:

Bongohead (Cocinando!)

Monkone (Wax Poetics)

Knox Robinson

Fred Schmalz

Andujar (WMUA UMass)

June 10th @ Savalas

285 Bedford Ave

Brooklyn, NY 11211

9pm ??? 4am

No Cover

yeah... i like savalas.. right by the crib. wanted to go to that too.

fcking Hogg.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

These were taken at the Marley Festival:

Suspect.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

DJs:

Bongohead (Cocinando!)
    Monkone (Wax Poetics)
    Knox Robinson
    Fred Schmalz
    Andujar (WMUA UMass)

June 10th @ Savalas
    285 Bedford Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11211
    9pm ??? 4am
    No Cover

Bitches preempted my show.

Saul Goode, I'm getting much more paid out of town though...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

epitome or not mikah's "crazy down syndrome shout" was pretty important in the lineage for a lot of the rappers you (and i) love so much. i think fish, ridd, whoever would all tell you how influential the very song you took that quote from is. it's just a matter of those guys adapting and restraining it while bus took it further out

if anticon never existed would it be acceptable to like busdriver?

epitome or not mikah's "crazy down syndrome shout" was pretty important in the lineage for a lot of the rappers you (and i) love so much. i think fish, ridd, whoever would all tell you how influential the very song you took that quote from is. it's just a matter of those guys adapting and restraining it while bus took it further out

if anticon never existed would it be acceptable to like busdriver?

I don't think that Ridd, Fish, Khule, etc. were all that influenced by Mikah...at least not as much as you probably think they were.

And backing up to your previous post for a second...it isn't my THEORY that the Blowed is hood-oriented. It's the truth (a truth that so many outsiders want to deny for some unknown reason).

And it's perfectly acceptable to like Busdriver...just not in my household.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't think that Ridd, Fish, Khule, etc. were all that influenced by Mikah...at least not as much as you probably think they were.

you should probably tell khule that then:

"'7th Seal' blew everybodys mind for at least 2 years straight," says Ellay Khule. "People studied that shit backwards and forwards -- even we don't know all those words. That made everybody say like' I gotta get a tape out' or 'I can't rap like so-and-so no more. I can't be in 80s, now we movin' to the 90s.' That totally transferred our musical thought."

http://www.daddykev.com/lin-timetable.html

And backing up to your previous post for a second...it isn't my THEORY that the Blowed is hood-oriented. It's the truth (a truth that so many outsiders want to deny for some unknown reason).

well, you've been there you'd know, but in my limited experience and interactions with a handful of the artists, it wasn't as black and white as you (or alternately the PROJECT BLOWED IS NERD RAP types) make it. i think what's always been interesting about the blowed, to me at least, is that it provided a venue for more street acts and more experimental/nerdy/whatever you want to call it acts to connect on a musical plane. something uncommon in the very polarized rap world.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Seventh Seal is a amazing rap song. but yo, I think dudes Ab Rude & Mikah 9 would be a lot of doper if they just had better production and took their shit more seriously. I heard Mikah did some really dope album a few years ago but decided to only press up like 500 on vinyl? WTF?

"'7th Seal' blew everybodys mind for at least 2 years straight," says Ellay Khule. "People studied that shit backwards and forwards -- even we don't know all those words. That made everybody say like' I gotta get a tape out' or 'I can't rap like so-and-so no more. I can't be in 80s, now we movin' to the 90s.' That totally transferred our musical thought."

Good work...the difference being though that while Khule adopted Mikah techniques into his own style that sounds very little like Mikah 9's, Busdriver might as well be Mikah's little brother.

well, you've been there you'd know, but in my limited experience and interactions with a handful of the artists, it wasn't as black and white as you (or alternately the PROJECT BLOWED IS NERD RAP types) make it. i think what's always been interesting about the blowed, to me at least, is that it provided a venue for more street acts and more experimental/nerdy/whatever you want to call it acts to connect on a musical plane. something uncommon in the very polarized rap world.

That's a good point...in that it taught a bunch of Hollywood-oriented half-steppers to come correct with theirs for fear of a lashing. On the flipside it has helped the hard-knocks realize that they don't have to be walking stereotypical charicatures (sp).

but yo, I think dudes Ab Rude & Mikah 9 would be a lot of doper if they just had better production and took their shit more seriously.

Uh-oh, we have not one but two transgressions in the same post. You: 1) impugned the Blowed's production, and 2) suggested that they were not about their business.

Put on your helmet and fasten your seatbelt, Young Phonics.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Quence is wack!!!! He was uttterly useless and distracting on "Beats, Rhymes, and Life". Fuck nepotism!!! "Wack is wack is wack is wack. Way back then in '96, Quence had no voice and butt lyrics..." "Wack is wack not blue or purple, bein' wack is like a circle. Round and round his lyrics go, where they end up, I don't know..." "I try and try to tell my people, that MC's aren't created equal. Before they rip it they must write, be original and do not bite. Uplift the mic, uplift the mic, rock the crowd not just new Nikes. All for one and one for all, wack is wack, that's right ya'll..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Good work...

i think that's the closest anyone will ever get to an archaic retraction.

i'm satisified.

That's a good point...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    by the way, i actually agree with just about everything you said in the last post. although i feel you're overstating the mikah/busdriver thing a little bit.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Good work...the difference being though that while Khule adopted Mikah techniques into his own style that sounds very little like Mikah 9's, Busdriver might as well be Mikah's little brother.

That's a good point...in that it taught a bunch of Hollywood-oriented half-steppers to come correct with theirs for fear of a lashing. On the flipside it has helped the hard-knocks realize that they don't have to be walking stereotypical charicatures (sp).

What fucking LANGUAGE is this?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I confused the Lasik Eye Surgery Ads for their promo concept. But alas they didn't. I was gonna have to sue those fools, I made Laser Eye Surgery two years ago, bitches. What the fuck do they know about Lasik, or lasers at all for that matter, bitches. I been studying this shit for thirty years, what do they know about lasers ?

Laser Eye Surgery by Doctor Arthur Krems, coming soon, again. Prepare to see.

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts
    (I mean, they even affected lame Ja-fakin accents, couldn't they borrow the rent-a-rasta that NWA used to use?)

That would be Earle AKA Admiral D BKA Don Jagwarr who is a Trini. Earle also owns and operates Earle's Grill (hot dogs, links, veggie even) on 4326 S Crenshaw just walking distance from Project Blowed. Earle and the Blowdians are not strangers as he's provided food to Blowed events at Leimert Park before.

6 Degrees of Blowed yo...can't escape it...must find exception to the rule...the voices the voices er, um guidelines...ARGHHH!!!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    nah.. no law school.. although i am in the industry.

word. what spot in BK?

This:

DJs:

Bongohead (Cocinando!)
    Monkone (Wax Poetics)
    Knox Robinson
    Fred Schmalz
    Andujar (WMUA UMass)

June 10th @ Savalas
    285 Bedford Ave
    Brooklyn, NY 11211
    9pm ??? 4am
    No Cover

I see how it is.

THEY won't play B-Legit records.

PS Lunch is on you tomorrow.