A Tribe Called Quest - Consequence ERA

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

"Get a Hold", "Wordplay" and "The Jam" were all heater. I don't have the album in front of me but all those generic rhodes and nt horn beats were the reason it flopped.

"Get a Hold", "Wordplay" and "The Jam" were all heater. I don't have the album in front of me but all those generic rhodes and nt horn beats were the reason it flopped.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    A shameless plug but I did a joint on this CD with attic. They're doing a single for it now. It's the Niggas get knocked joint. Hopefully y'all feel it... Didn't see my face on the cover so that should help sales...lol

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Not quite everyone hates those two albums, though--a lot of headwraps-n-incense neo-soul types will actually attempt to defend them. They've both got a few cuts, but I would take Justin Timberlake's solo LP over either of them.

I'll take that one, too.

And?

In fairness, though, I don't really think he bears responsibility for how weak BR&L was--I put that on JayDee. And on Phife.

Hommie there is no way if you looked at the credits there is no way you could put the flop on Jay Dee. He did all the good songs on the album except one (the short verse that ends with the gun shot). "Get a Hold", "Wordplay" and "The Jam" were all heater. I don't have the album in front of me but all those generic rhodes and nt horn beats were the reason it flopped. C'mon dude "Baby Phife Returns"! Wtf was that shit.

To be honest, I'd have to revisit both the album and the liner notes before I could really argue this one way or the other--it's probably been close to eight years since I've listened to that record.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

Not quite everyone hates those two albums, though--a lot of headwraps-n-incense neo-soul types will actually attempt to defend them. They've both got a few cuts, but I would take Justin Timberlake's solo LP over either of them.

I'll take that one, too.

And?

How you can dismiss Abstract Rude as a farce at the same time as bigging up a Justin Timberlake album is beyond poptarted.

I'll take that one, too.

And?

How you can dismiss Abstract Rude as a farce at the same time as bigging up a Justin Timberlake album is beyond poptarted.

I'm bigging up Timbaland and the Neptunes with that more than I am bigging up JT.

And, Archaic, even a lot of your fellow Blowed fans think that dude Abstract Rude is a farce.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    at the same time as bigging up a Justin Timberlake album is beyond poptarted.

say what you will but when the Mrs plays this shit i dont cover my ears...but i'm not groovin' either...I wont carry his balls but i'll defend Timberlake....and i'm far from a head-wrap dude

And, Archaic, even a lot of your fellow Blowed fans think that dude Abstract Rude is a farce.

Not that I've ever seen (aside from Jizzm who got in a skirmish with Ab last year)...though I'd love to hear some sort of an explanation on how he could possibly be a farce. We are listening/not-listening to the same records, aren't we?

Not that I've ever seen (aside from Jizzm who got in a skirmish with Ab last year)...though I'd love to hear some sort of an explanation on how he could possibly be a farce. We are listening/not-listening to the same records, aren't we?

If by "we" you are referring to me and you, then the answer is no, I do not think we are listening to the same records.

I don't think I've ever even heard that dude. Scratch that--I did pick up a haiku de tat 12" back in 1997. He was in that group, right? That sh!t was garbage and stayed in my apartment only until the next time I was at the record store.

I'm referring only to things that I've seen people who are familiar enough with the guy's work to offer an assessment of it post here and elsewhere. I myself lack a real opinion of him, so I'm not sure why you attributed one to me.

Scratch that--I did pick up a haiku de tat 12" back in 1997. He was in that group, right? That sh!t was garbage and stayed in my apartment only until the next time I was at the record store.

Garbage? Are you kidding me? If Los Dangerous and Still Rappin weren't enough, how could you possibly not like Kaya? That song is so friendly on so many different levels.

See, that's what I'm saying...you put up this big front concerning your hip hop standards...yet Justin acting cutesy to an assembly-line Neptunes beat gets your nod over an incredible Haiku de tat composition.

That and you diss a rock-solid album such as PAINT without even having heard it.

Yet I'm the one with credibility issues...

Scratch that--I did pick up a haiku de tat 12" back in 1997. He was in that group, right? That sh!t was garbage and stayed in my apartment only until the next time I was at the record store.

Garbage? Are you kidding me? If Los Dangerous and Still Rappin weren't enough, how could you possibly not like Kaya? That song is so friendly on so many different levels.

See, that's what I'm saying...you put up this big front concerning your hip hop standards...yet Justin acting cutesy to an assembly-line Neptunes beat gets your nod over an incredible Haiku de tat composition.

That and you diss a rock-solid album such as PAINT without even having heard it.

Yet I'm the one with credibility issues...

That 12" was trash, 'Chid.

And I don't think I was aware until this moment of the existence of an album called PAINT, so it seems unlikely to me that I had previously dissed it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Sidebar: Haiku De Tat was the specific reason that I began to think these guys were full of themselves. I still dig the instrumentals but the vocals on that original 12"/ep were garbage to me.

just my opinion.

That 12" was trash, 'Chid.

I can't even imagine where one could come from in reaching such a conclusion. You might want to check that you still have a soul trapped in your body...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    wow. i can smell the nag champa in this post.

Sidebar: Haiku De Tat was the specific reason that I began to think these guys were full of themselves. I still dig the instrumentals but the vocals on that original 12"/ep were garbage to me.

just my opinion.

What? Those vocals were so friendly on so many levels! Do you mean to tell us that those vocals did not creep up under your shirt and give you a good tickle even once?! So friendly on so many levels, son!

just my opinion.

Is this the common soulstrut opinion?

Justin Timberlake faking the funk >>>>>> Abstract Rude's soulful baritone

????

Please say it ain't so.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    hahaha....this shit is jokes.

Archaic, are you capable of NOT leading a discussion to being about Project Blowed? This is starting to get scary.

wow. i can smell the patchouli in this post.

You might want to check that you still have a soul trapped in your body...

just my opinion.

What? Those vocals were so friendly on so many levels! Do you mean to tell us that those vocals did not creep up under your shirt and give you a good tickle even once?! So friendly on so many levels, son!

My wife used to take care of this really sweet little 2 year old girl back when we lived in Berkeley and she used to smile with glee whenever my wife would play Kaya for her.

Babies seem to be the best judges of music as far as I can tell. For instance my little girl loves Nolia Clap but screamed with agony the one time I accidentally exposed her to Busdriver.

Point being, I don't know what's wrong with y'all.

Archaic, are you capable of NOT leading a discussion to being about Project Blowed? This is starting to get scary.

Please search this forum for "Project Blowed" and see how many times it pops up in a sarcastic manner without me even being anywhere near its context.

For far too many, Project Blowed has become the new Leo Sayer in-joke on here.

And it's only sad because it's so misguided.

Like that patchouli comment above...purely idiotic.

great, now I've got this vision of Archaic running around listening to Kidz Bop versions of Project Blowed songs.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Please search this forum for "Project Blowed" and see how many times it pops up in a sarcastic manner without me even being anywhere near its context.

you have no one to blame but yourself.

Have you ever even BEEN to Austin?!!

and what's even more idiotic is YOU not realizing that you are the origin of every single one of those jokes. It wasn't funny till you came along obsessing over it. and here you are feeding the fire, heh.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

so what youre saying is the nag champa was on point tho.

Have you ever even BEEN to Austin?!!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    At one point I enjoyed Los Dangerous, but "Kaya" was pure trash. You telling me that three otherwise talented guys singing a terrrrrrible version of the Bob Marley hook could possibly be good??? (I mean, they even affected lame Ja-fakin accents, couldn't they borrow the rent-a-rasta that NWA used to use?)

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    1). I like Beats Rhymes & Life. Still a good album but not worthy of a follow up to the first 3 tribe joints.

2). Love Movement had its moments, but I think that album was more influential than good. I like "like it like that" and that one possee cut with the Charles Wright Sample

3). I have that Haiku De Tat 12''. It's in my ebay box. Not to say that I don't like it, its just that I don't feel it's neccesarry to have that record. I'll never play it out and a listening to it on a cd would be fine enough.

and what's even more idiotic is YOU not realizing that you are the origin of every single one of those jokes. It wasn't funny till you came along obsessing over it. and here you are feeding the fire, heh.

It's fun for me to watch baseless opinions get taken to their nth degree of blind hate. It boggles my mind to see how far some are willing to take it. But no, I will never assume the responsibility for so many talking out of the megaphones known as their own asses.

Point being, let them laugh at me all they want. They're still wrong.