A Tribe Called Quest - Consequence ERA

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    At one point I enjoyed Los Dangerous, but "Kaya" was pure trash. You telling me that three otherwise talented guys singing a terrrrrrible version of the Bob Marley hook could possibly be good??? (I mean, they even affected lame Ja-fakin accents, couldn't they borrow the rent-a-rasta that NWA used to use?)

The friendliness on that record was obviously on a whole nother level from the one on which you exist.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    At one point I enjoyed Los Dangerous, but "Kaya" was pure trash. You telling me that three otherwise talented guys singing a terrrrrrible version of the Bob Marley hook could possibly be good??? (I mean, they even affected lame Ja-fakin accents, couldn't they borrow the rent-a-rasta that NWA used to use?)

Hold up there a minute, Kemetic Sun.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

The friendliness on that record was obviously on a whole nother level from the one on which you exist.

Well, as you know, I'm not particularly friendly!

2). Love Movement had its moments, but I think that album was more influential than good. I like "like it like that" and that one possee cut with the Charles Wright Sample

Who do you think it influenced? Not hating, just curious. I liked "Find a Way" a lot.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Point being, let them laugh at me all they want. They're still wrong.

Wow, fanboy loves ascends to new heights.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

and what's even more idiotic is YOU not realizing that you are the origin of every single one of those jokes. It wasn't funny till you came along obsessing over it. and here you are feeding the fire, heh.

It's fun for me to watch baseless opinions get taken to their nth degree of blind hate. It boggles my mind to see how far some are willing to take it. But no, I will never assume the responsibility for so many talking out of the megaphones known as their own asses.

well I guess there has to be a counter to your baseless opinion being taken to the nth degree of blind love. And it boggles my mind to see how far you take it. your megaphone is pretty stinky too.

har de har har. i'm right.

Hold up there a minute, Kemetic Sun.

Kemetic Suns has never supported nor sanctioned affected Jamaican accents, songs about weed, or rehashed Marley hooks

You telling me that three otherwise talented guys singing a terrrrrrible version of the Bob Marley hook could possibly be good??? (I mean, they even affected lame Ja-fakin accents, couldn't they borrow the rent-a-rasta that NWA used to use?)

Yet Paul Wall is the genuine article.

And why is everyone so eager to grant passes to Justin and Gwen Stefani?

Yeah, Abstract Rude...what a phony.

I like Paul Wall. I don't like "Kaya" (whereas, I don't dislike Abby Rude... we're talking about "a" song here).

Deal with it.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

2). Love Movement had its moments, but I think that album was more influential than good. I like "like it like that" and that one possee cut with the Charles Wright Sample

Who do you think it influenced? Not hating, just curious. I liked "Find a Way" a lot.

Production, I think that album along with Dilla's early Slum Village, Common & Roots work influenced a shit load of producers in and outside of "hip-hop". Not to get on a "Archaic Project Blowed" type of tangent but I think Jay-Dila is one of the most influential producers outside the axis Dre, The Neptunes, Timbaland etc...but yo I'm gauging "Influence" from a deejay/producer view point. Who knows if it influenced casual listeners.

at the same time, it breeded (sp) a lot of headwrap fuckwits

You telling me that three otherwise talented guys singing a terrrrrrible version of the Bob Marley hook could possibly be good??? (I mean, they even affected lame Ja-fakin accents, couldn't they borrow the rent-a-rasta that NWA used to use?)

Yet Paul Wall is the genuine article.

So I take it that you've met Paul Wall?

You mean like screaming like a banshee from a passing vehicle at someone you've never met?

I've never done that over Project Blowed, I can tell you that...House of Fat Beats fanboy.

You mean like screaming like a banshee from a passing vehicle at someone you've never met?

I've never done that over Project Blowed, I can tell you that...House of Fat Beats fanboy.

Ummmm. I started HOFB, I better be a fan of it.

Production, I think that album along with Dilla's early Slum Village, Common & Roots work influenced a shit load of producers in and outside of "hip-hop". Not to get on a "Archaic Project Blowed" type of tangent but I think Jay-Dila is one of the most influential producers outside the axis Dre, The Neptunes, Timbaland etc...but yo I'm gauging "Influence" from a deejay/producer view point. Who knows if it influenced casual listeners.

at the same time, it breeded (sp) a lot of headwrap fuckwits

UH-OH

I think maybe we'll save the next installment of the Great JayDee Debate for another day, since it's only been a few months since the last one.

Really?

Isn't Kari Orr affiliated with that? That guy's posts are the sole reason I have been known to occasionally check Okayplayer. If you know him, you should tell him to come on over here.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    k_orr, the law school homie. really good dude.

yo, faux.. you gonna be up at the spot on friday with ross, empanadamn, and myself djing?

Like that patchouli comment above...purely idiotic.

Have you ever even BEEN to Austin?!!

NYC:

Really?

Isn't Kari Orr affiliated with that? That guy's posts are the sole reason I have been known to occasionally check Okayplayer. If you know him, you should tell him to come on over here.

Me and a guy named Aaron started the original HOPB, which was called "the bass ackwards show". Kari came into the show one time and said "So this is the house of phat beats?" so then Aaron and I decided to change the name (with good reason). I later left the station and Austin at which time Kari Orr and Tigerblurp (Soulstrut member) took over the show.

I'm pretty sure he (Kari) goes up that way pretty regularly since he has fam up that side.

k_orr, the law school homie. really good dude.

yo, faux.. you gonna be up at the spot on friday with ross, empanadamn, and myself djing?

Well, uh, see me and deepstank and Bambouche are gonna be at this other spot out in Brooklyn that night, but I may still try to come over.

So you two went to law school together, or am I reading that wrong?

NYC:

Damn, 'Chid, I posted that pic forty minutes ago and I know you've been all up in this thread since then--it took you that long to come up with a comeback?

So you two went to law school together?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa...............

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I enjoyed Los Dangerous

three otherwise talented guys

Faux Rillz:
    It seems as if you got "poptart sympathiser" amongst your ranks .I suggest,you keep a close eye on him.

Me and a guy named Aaron started the original HOPB, which was called "the bass ackwards show". Kari came into the show one time and said "So this is the house of phat beats?" so then Aaron and I decided to change the name (with good reason). I later left the station and Austin at which time Kari Orr and Tigerblurp (Soulstrut member) took over the show.

I'm pretty sure he (Kari) goes up that way pretty regularly since he has fam up that side.

That's cool. I meant "over here" in the sense of the Soulstrut virtual community, rather than NYC.

NYC:

Damn, 'Chid, I posted that pic forty minutes ago and I know you've been all up in this thread since then--it took you that long to come up with a comeback?

Wait another 40 muntes and I'll tell you.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    nah.. no law school.. although i am in the industry.

word. what spot in BK?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

NYC:

HAH!

That was cute.

As for the Haiku stuff, for unknown reasons, I've always had a soft spot for "Still Rappin'" but I think for the most part, that Haiku stuff was, if anything, a bit too "friendly." "West-side Slip N' Slide" (from the album) though is fucking great. I hate to be one of these "I like his older shit" dudes, but I think Ab's older shit is waaay better than anything I've heard that he's done in the past 7 years or so. In his defense, I think mostly it's just his production. He sounded dope on that more organic production ("OG Crew," "Slow Lights," "Yesterday and Today," etc) and most of the newer stuff I've heard (basically everything since and including "Thynk Tank") is really just too over-the-top cheesy and clean sounding to me. I just think hip-hop music changed and sort've left him behind. It happens. Same shit happened to Tribe and countless others.

That being said, "Strength of ATU" is and always will be fucking great.

As for Tribe, everything's been said. First three albums were great, last few sound like bad Tribe-rehashes that have their moments, but it wasn't even close to the same.

But, frankly, this is just how hip-hop works: it's a youth art that changes drastically from year-to-year. A lot of people "fall off" because the context changes so drastically and they simply lose relevance. To me, that's just a (sad?) fact of the rapid transitions that hip-hop music goes through and, frankly, I think it's pretty cool that hip-hop chenges so quickly and so effortlessly-- even if that means some of my favorite rappers are suddenly "irrelevant" and can't make a fucking good record that doesn't sound dated anymore.

And it makes the groups/artists that can[/b] stick around and stay relevant that much more worthy of respect... though I really can't think of too many.

Everyone falls off.

Oh well.

-e

That's cool. I meant "over here" in the sense of the Soulstrut virtual community, rather than NYC.

Doh! yeah, that's what I meant...

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

dude is moving to DC soon, no?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    yay! yeah, id have to agree. the haiku stuff is alright. i do have that 12" and id have to say that still rappin song is all happy happy joy joy. and the underground fossils ep was pretty good for its warm fuzzy productions.

but i wasnt feeling that strength of ATU and im not sold on fatjack as a good producer. to me his stuff is kinda boring.

but everything after that is just not worth it even as a cut out.

tribe im kinda ok with. i mean, i may own a 12" or 2 by them. but i wasnt all queer about that shit. it too was alright.

ps
    dudes. people hackey sack in austin? i gotta get there...

my hommy since 2nd grade is a bigshot cinematographer dude outta austin now so maybe i shall visit...

dude is moving to DC soon, no?

I'm not knowing... I haven't spoken to homecut in a hot one.